Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skoll please donate to Harmony Gold. Ten bucks for every poster ITT please. Donate 100 on my behalf ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ice Fist posted:

I want to be the federal judge that gets to listen to a bunch of rich lawyers argue about robot warriors.

"Your honor, I submit in exhibit B that the armor scheme of the Battletech Warhammer is significantly different than the Robotech Tomahawk, further more it carries significantly better weaponry."
"OBJECTION"

"OBJECTION, the Tomahawk has equivalent or better weapons to a Warhammer with additional missile pods that the Warhammer criminally neglects to represent!"

"So your argument is that the two robots are different, then?"

"...objection withdrawn."

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

some mad grogs itt.

gonna donate to HG in all your names.

I'm sorry too that chester bennington killed himself. Please don't take it out on us

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
You guys won't be laughing when HBS gets shut down for their obvious copyright infringement.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

skoll seems incredibly not mad, red, nor nude

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Skoll, it doesn't count as trolling if it's only $10. $1,000 or more because HG's lawyers have to eat.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skoll posted:

You guys won't be laughing when HBS gets shut down for their obvious copyright infringement.

pity reply

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Skoll posted:

same

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

SirFozzie posted:

Note: The complaint is dated 5/1/2017. Since then, HBS has done nothing but move forward, so I'm hoping that is a good sign

To be fair they moved forward, with none of the disputed Mechs in Beta. All the ones included aren't the targets, so there's no reason not to be included.

The only real thing HG could argue about this is that the promise of the "illegal" Mechs being included in the Kickstarter and advertised as being in created demand for the game because obviously those are the only Mechs anyone care about so clearly it would never have succeeded without it so whine whine whine.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Viva Miriya posted:

donate in the name of love

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

To be fair they moved forward, with none of the disputed Mechs in Beta. All the ones included aren't the targets, so there's no reason not to be included.

The only real thing HG could argue about this is that the promise of the "illegal" Mechs being included in the Kickstarter and advertised as being in created demand for the game because obviously those are the only Mechs anyone care about so clearly it would never have succeeded without it so whine whine whine.

Really? I could have sworn the Atlas was in the beta, and that was shown on the screenshot somebody linked of "Look at these totally rip off mechs! Clearly an Atlas looks just like a fat Valkyrie!"

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think the Atlas has ever been under dispute, it's never been one of the Unseen, has it?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

Skoll please donate to Harmony Gold. Ten bucks for every poster ITT please. Donate 100 on my behalf ok.

Viva Miriya posted:

donate in the name of love

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

I don't think the Atlas has ever been under dispute, it's never been one of the Unseen, has it?

Yes, that is correct. Atlas has always been an "original" battletech design.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Apparently the Judge is like in his 80s or some poo poo, so they could just be trying to do, "Look at how similar their robot is to our robot, surely you can tell the infringement at first glance.".

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ok, so, sanity check on this.

According to the claim, twice in 2013 PGI submitted a Reseen design to HG, both of which were rejected and were never used. I think it was the Warhammer and Marauder based on them being the 'Tomahawk' and 'OBP'.

Then there's nothing until last year, when they notice Catalyst using the Warhammer design, which is the thread that began this current clusterfuck near as I can tell.

So, did PGI continue to submit designs to HG that were ok'd, which HG has decided not to mention in this suit, or did they go full :pgi: and decide 'gently caress it, like they'll ever find out' and give up asking?

The former doesn't seem likely as it would have been easy to refute. Does this mean :pgi: done hosed up royally?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Man I was hoping for real news, not this fake news HG bullshit.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

DiHK posted:

Man I was hoping for real news, not this fake news HG bullshit.

Sorry goon, all we got for you is that fake poo poo and skoll being a attention whore.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Major Spag posted:

Yes, that is correct. Atlas has always been an "original" battletech design.

I'm guessing that HG is hoping to make the case that the entire Battletech IP infringes, not just a few select designs. It's more a negotiating tactic for a settlement than a serious ploy to take ownership of the whole property. They just want money.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I'm guessing that HG is hoping to make the case that the entire Battletech IP infringes, not just a few select designs. It's more a negotiating tactic for a settlement than a serious ploy to take ownership of the whole property. They just want money.

I mean it's obvious they want a quick settlement, but I think it's a little out of the realm of sanity that they'd think they could get it decided the entire Battletech IP is infringing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It's why they're targeting HBS and PGI and not Microsoft, who actually holds the license, nor have they presumably yet added Paradox to the docket, because those are big companies with lots of lawyers and money with which to fight them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Skoll posted:

I mean it's obvious they want a quick settlement, but I think it's a little out of the realm of sanity that they'd think they could get it decided the entire Battletech IP is infringing.

You don't have to win all of your points to score a victory. A lot of civil action is just throwing stuff out there and seeing what sticks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just curious, but are there any other countries in the world where you can just sit on an IP and sue anyone and everyone for basically poo poo reasons without ever developing said property?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's why they're targeting HBS and PGI and not Microsoft, who actually holds the license, nor have they presumably yet added Paradox to the docket, because those are big companies with lots of lawyers and money with which to fight them.

Is there any way for PGI / HBS to tag in the big boys for this suit?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Voyager I posted:

They could always just ask Paradox to provide them lawyers and money for it, I think Paradox would stick up for them that way. It would be lovely if they didn't

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

Just curious, but are there any other countries in the world where you can just sit on an IP and sue anyone and everyone for basically poo poo reasons without ever developing said property?

There are, but generally it's only the countries that the US has bullied into enforcing the same stupid IP laws itself has for "trade reasons."

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Voyager I posted:

I'm not a lawyer but I can presume that there's a strong possibility that now that Paradox is financially supporting the game and will (presumably) financially benefit that Harmony Gold sort of has to.

Because I'd imagine you sort of have to sue everyone or nothing, and you can't just say "I'm suing you individually". Wouldn't HBS/PGI be able to argue "hey, Paradox is benefiting from this, why aren't you suing them too?"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I believe someone's sleuthing of the data from the link says this lawsuit was filed on the first of May this year, and HBS announced their partnership with Paradox after that date. While negotiations with Paradox may have started prior to the suit being filed, because the announcement was after, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Paradox is either A) Already aware that HBS is getting sued and is willing to provide legal teams and/or money for such, or B) already negotiated with HBS to not be involved in this at all. Either way, I don't expect to see the ante get upped.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

I think you've forgotten which dying internet comedy forum you're on.

We'll laugh no matter what the outcome is.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I think you've forgotten which dying internet comedy forum you're on.

We'll laugh no matter what the outcome is.

Nah, the Battletech ultra grogs are salty and can't tell a joke when it comes to their precious IP on these forums.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

Nah, the Battletech ultra grogs are salty and can't tell a joke when it comes to their precious IP on these forums.

*clutches crumpled dog eared battletech manual from the 1980s tightly, a single tear rolls down the cheek*

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Skoll posted:

Is everything okay in your life? You are posting pretty hard in a slow thread about 'salty grogs' but you are by far the most invested person right now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

Is everything okay in your life? You are posting pretty hard in a slow thread about 'salty grogs' but you are by far the most invested person right now.

No. I have permanent sad brains and my liquor money is all gone.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Skoll posted:

No. I have permanent sad brains and my liquor money is all gone.

knock over a liquor store like a proper degenerate then.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Rhymenoserous posted:

knock over a liquor store like a proper degenerate then.

The self-respecting modern degenerate is doing Xanax and Percocet.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Skoll posted:

It's always amazing how every single wannabe troll is also an empath.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Paingod556 posted:

Ok, so, sanity check on this.

According to the claim, twice in 2013 PGI submitted a Reseen design to HG, both of which were rejected and were never used. I think it was the Warhammer and Marauder based on them being the 'Tomahawk' and 'OBP'.

Then there's nothing until last year, when they notice Catalyst using the Warhammer design, which is the thread that began this current clusterfuck near as I can tell.

So, did PGI continue to submit designs to HG that were ok'd, which HG has decided not to mention in this suit, or did they go full :pgi: and decide 'gently caress it, like they'll ever find out' and give up asking?

The former doesn't seem likely as it would have been easy to refute. Does this mean :pgi: done hosed up royally?

I can see PGI using those unpublished designs as trial balloons for that 70% rule, but I suspect HG wouldn't give them qualified feedback to avoid infringing even if they don't consider any and all giant combat robots their property.
If the only response PGI gets amounts to "gently caress you, everything is ours," then ceasing contact and going it alone feels like a valid course of action.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

It's always amazing how every single wannabe troll is also an empath.

That's why I just flat out ignore Viva. :jerkbag:

DeepThrobble posted:

I can see PGI using those unpublished designs as trial balloons for that 70% rule, but I suspect HG wouldn't give them qualified feedback to avoid infringing even if they don't consider any and all giant combat robots their property.
If the only response PGI gets amounts to "gently caress you, everything is ours," then ceasing contact and going it alone feels like a valid course of action.

This is more than likely what happened. You would assume PGI at least were somewhat prepared for the court eventuality when they decided to stop asking HG's feedback.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's the fake robot version of dodgy printer patent trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

aniviron posted:

There are, but generally it's only the countries that the US has bullied into enforcing the same stupid IP laws itself has for "trade reasons."

Of course in most of them, costs are significantly lower and when you win (usually quickly) the troll has to pay your lawyer's fees as well as the court fees, which means if you have the ability to see it through to the end and expect to win, you stand absolutely nothing to gain by settling out early. Withdrawing the complaint 9 times out of 10 gets the same result for the defendant, so if you're going to patent or copyright troll outside the US, you're going to be pretty certain of your case or your target's inability to defend before you start.