Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Comedy option, swap to Selene when you need cleanse. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Reiterpallasch posted:

if you can't save Leeroy McKamikazeface the RDM from his third dive in thirty seconds you shouldn't beat yourself up about it. It's healthier that way.

Me every time I unexpectedly score a kill with Corps instead of being able to backflip right back out again

Obviously the slickest PvP move on RDM is to Corps someone mounted, making them limp, run through them and Displacement ahead

In desperate times you can also do this on ice to evade pursuits

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

Is Regula certainly dead? I know we saw a body but it feels like nobody dies in FFXIV.

Plenty of NPCs die unless they are Scions and then they just get KO'd no matter how horrifically injured they are. Regula is super dead, barring Ascian silliness or The Unexpected Return of Nybbas Obdilord.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

Plenty of NPCs die unless they are Scions and then they just get KO'd no matter how horrifically injured they are. Regula is super dead, barring Ascian silliness or The Unexpected Return of Nybbas Obdilord.

Poor Urianger. He's the only one who remembers Moenbryda right now.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

EponymousMrYar posted:

For good reason.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

Exceptions for when the script calls for tragedy.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have two questions:

1) Regula dies at the climax of the Warring Triad sub-quests, yeah? Meaning he's functionally alive for people who've mostly stuck to the MSQ? Do you think this would factor into the Elidibus stuff or would it be handwaved away a la the Culinarian quests?

2) What's the benefit of making a PVP bot? I can't really think of anything you get out of PVP that you can turn around for substantial gil, presuming this is tied up somehow with gil farming. If it's just people wanting to power level combat classes, why not just buy a jump potion if you're that willing to part with real money?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

"i'm not owned! i'm not owned!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a pig

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Archyduke posted:

I have two questions:

1) Regula dies at the climax of the Warring Triad sub-quests, yeah? Meaning he's functionally alive for people who've mostly stuck to the MSQ? Do you think this would factor into the Elidibus stuff or would it be handwaved away a la the Culinarian quests?

2) What's the benefit of making a PVP bot? I can't really think of anything you get out of PVP that you can turn around for substantial gil, presuming this is tied up somehow with gil farming. If it's just people wanting to power level combat classes, why not just buy a jump potion if you're that willing to part with real money?

You can't jump potion past 60 or more than 1 character.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
btw everything Reiterpallasch posted about pvp is true. battle fever means more damage means more kills means more points means more wins.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Archyduke posted:

I believe the idea is that levels are a rough timeline. For example, quests that take place at level 50 are roughly around the same time as other level 50 quests, even across jobs or classes, no matter what order you actually do them in. Like, yeah, you're doing that Culinarian quest now, but you actually did it a while ago and you're just seeing it now, narratively-speaking.

There are a few times they break that rule, though. For example, the Red Mage intro quest will acknowledge if you've already freed Ala Mhigo, even though it's a level 50 quest. But in general, assume that a quest's level roughly corresponds to a timeline and most things make a decent amount of sense.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That fight looks fun as all gently caress I'm not gonna lie

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

When I PVP I try to get the highest damage and kills possible and don't care about anything else. If my team still dies despite that then :hr:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Harrow posted:

I believe the idea is that levels are a rough timeline. For example, quests that take place at level 50 are roughly around the same time as other level 50 quests, even across jobs or classes, no matter what order you actually do them in. Like, yeah, you're doing that Culinarian quest now, but you actually did it a while ago and you're just seeing it now, narratively-speaking.

There are a few times they break that rule, though. For example, the Red Mage intro quest will acknowledge if you've already freed Ala Mhigo, even though it's a level 50 quest. But in general, assume that a quest's level roughly corresponds to a timeline and most things make a decent amount of sense.

I prefer the 'time of release' order myself. Things that were added in 2.0 happened in 2.0, things that were added in 3.3 happened in 3.3, etc.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

SonicRulez posted:

Is Regula certainly dead? I know we saw a body but it feels like nobody dies in FFXIV.

Regula's life or death is difficult to nail down we don't really know how bad his injuries were because his armor was hemorrhaging Cerulium all over everything, so we couldn't get a good look. Everyone certainly THOUGHT he was dead, but Ascians are cheaty bastards and there is the possibility they interfered. This is more or less the same as the Gaius theory.

This is especially understandable if Elidibus thought that having a powerful Imperial agent as a suit would be useful. Either as a way of moving in and around Imperial society or as a hostage to make the Emperor compliant.

Lahabrea got out-gambitted by his own pet monarch. I imagine that Elidibus would not leave something THAT important to chance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gearhead posted:

Lahabrea got out-gambitted by his own pet monarch.

I'm honestly surprised that has apparently never happened before, given that "give people way more power than they know what to do with" is apparently the Ascian MO.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm honestly surprised that has apparently never happened before, given that "give people way more power than they know what to do with" is apparently the Ascian MO.

If the past Umbral Calamities are anything to go by, most of the time when the Ascians have turned people loose with godlike power they let it go to their heads and start trying to fulfill their dreams of conquest. Or they get eaten by their god. Or something.

I would like to think that the idea of turning YOURSELF into a god and then eating an Ascian is a fairly new turn on things. It seems that the idea never occurred to Lahabrea at all that he might just get loving EATEN.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Minrad posted:

btw everything Reiterpallasch posted about pvp is true. battle fever means more damage means more kills means more points means more wins.

More kills also means slower reinforcements for the enemy. Killing has an insane snowball effect, while ice is just... points.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kills can really gently caress with the other team, kill their healers like 4 times and they'll start having half minute long timers to actually respawn, never mind coming back from their spawn to the action.

E: And there is no more rezes in pvp so yeah.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gearhead posted:

If the past Umbral Calamities are anything to go by, most of the time when the Ascians have turned people loose with godlike power they let it go to their heads and start trying to fulfill their dreams of conquest. Or they get eaten by their god. Or something.

I would like to think that the idea of turning YOURSELF into a god and then eating an Ascian is a fairly new turn on things. It seems that the idea never occurred to Lahabrea at all that he might just get loving EATEN.

Maniacal, scenery-chewing villains rarely see "hoisted by own petard" coming.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only issue with being so killy is if the third team knows what they're doing and sandwiches your team to kill you while you're killing.

Alas, that tactic is rather rare.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only issue with being so killy is if the third team knows what they're doing and sandwiches your team to kill you while you're killing.

Alas, that tactic is rather rare.

It's fairly easy to maneuver out of a sandwich so that the other two teams fight each other. Unless either team has good coordination, they will do this every time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Matched frontline play for me is a roll of the dice usually. I can't get them to focus down healers are prioritize teams on a killing spree. A pre-made though, those tips get hot and you can really get some wins under your belt.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm giving AST a shot after leveling up my WHM, to see if the grass is greener (and the last time I'd tried it was the 3.0 version...).

Can anyone:
1) Give me a quick breakdown of how it heals, via both sects? I'm used to Regen doing all the leg work.
2) The optimal way to handle cards in 4 and 8-man groups? I remember seeing a big explanation before, but that was pre Spire buff.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still wish we'd gotten to gank Lahabrea ourselves. We don't often get the chance to take down our actual enemies. I guess that's how the character remains a heroic beacon of justice or whatever. We can kill monsters and gods, but not rear end in a top hat people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SonicRulez posted:

I still wish we'd gotten to gank Lahabrea ourselves. We don't often get the chance to take down our actual enemies. I guess that's how the character remains a heroic beacon of justice or whatever. We can kill monsters and gods, but not rear end in a top hat people.

You've killed both Nabriales and Igeyorhm. You killed Igeyohrm literally moments before Lahabrea was killed.

Lahabrea died the way he did because it was a much more interesting story for his patsy to not be a patsy at all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'd already beaten that prick twice so him getting so royally owned was good.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah that was just a deliciously ironic cherry on top of the Get hosed Lahabrea sundae.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Ascians are so dull and identikit baddies that killing Lahabrea/Nabriales/Igesomething doesn't make much difference either way.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Killing Igeyorhm is kind of a really satisfying thing since she in particular is responsible for the creation of The Void. All the horrible poo poo she's done and she winds up being a speed bump.

A fitting end to a horrible person.

I kind of like their new tactic of being more careful and working around the fringes instead of diving headlong into the meatgrinder that is being within aggro radius of the Warrior of Light.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So how hard is it to learn to be a good tank? I have literally never played anything other than a healer ever in an MMO. So I've never had to worry about combos or rotations.

I want to go edgelord dark knight, but how big is the learning curve to be a tank?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tanking is the easiest job in the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

So how hard is it to learn to be a good tank? I have literally never played anything other than a healer ever in an MMO. So I've never had to worry about combos or rotations.

I want to go edgelord dark knight, but how big is the learning curve to be a tank?

Provoke during or after a tankbuster.
Mitigate tankbusters and large pulls proactively with cooldowns.
Know the shortcuts in dungeons/trials when running between pulls so you look like a pro.
That'll put you ahead of 90% of the tanks in the game.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Know the shortcuts in dungeons/trials when running between pulls so you look like a pro.

What this guy said.

I ran into a tank earlier today wearing DoL pants. The bar for good tank is really low.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

nuru posted:

Tanking is the easiest job in the game.

This is literally true, and having been a healer for so long in your case might give you a leg up since you know better what kind of damage and healing inputs to expect from watching it happen

Just don't make the mistake I did and be a primadonna about being ~the tank~ early on, DPS are probably gonna pull off of you from level sync and generally run ahead while you're getting comfortable, and that's ok long as you're not doing what I did and Shirking on to them instead :v:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For practical, general advice:
Learn and internalize how far your AoE attacks reach. Use cooldowns liberally but not all at once. Read your tool tips to find out which of your attacks produce extra enmity. Try not to move too much once you've got control of the situation: melee DPS will thank you for it.

It's really pretty easy, especially since tank stances are a thing

Griz
May 21, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Just don't make the mistake I did and be a primadonna about being ~the tank~ early on, DPS are probably gonna pull off of you from level sync and generally run ahead while you're getting comfortable, and that's ok long as you're not doing what I did and Shirking on to them instead :v:

this doesn't even happen anymore after the enmity buff. flash/overpower/unleash twice in low level dungeons and you've generated more enmity than the mobs have hp.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cool. Yeah, currently I have Gladiator at 22 (100% from fates), Warrior at 52 (100% from fates/leves) and Dark Knight at 36 (100% from PotD). I had leveled up Warrior over a year ago so I remember nothing and didn't want to be overwhelmed when I looked at the abilities so I'm going full edgelord and leveling DRK.

From what people in FC chat were saying, my basics should be: Always have Grit on (while at lower levels while main tanking), always have darkside up (no exceptions), use Power Slash combo to get aggro, and Soul Eater combo after that. Unleash for groups. Use cooldowns on larger/multi packs. It's better to use cooldowns before a crisis than during a crisis.

I was able to run Halatali after this and felt that I did well (though missing almost all abilities).

It's interesting to me because it's fairly easy to find "Endgame tank rotation CLICK HERE" but fairly hard to find early/mid-game rotation advice. I assume this is probably also an issue for other classes?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Ascians are so dull and identikit baddies that killing Lahabrea/Nabriales/Igesomething doesn't make much difference either way.

Huh? Each Ascian we've dealt with has had been fairly distinct in personality, even if they're all not super deep.

I mean, FFXIV loves to toss in bits of shades of gray but there's always the cackling pure evil Ascians ready to try and destroy the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Not Operator posted:

Other people have already responded to most of this but as I've grouped with you a bunch I can safely say you're doing everything more or less right. Bigger pulls can wait until you're more comfortable with your abilities and the dungeon layouts. Keeping the mobs largely still is helpful to melee dps who have positionals to worry about but don't let it keep you from moving out of aoe markers. Repostioning so your huge pulls are all standing in your party members ground aoes is pro-tank poo poo and really impresses people.

As for whether people will go on dungeon runs with you, I think its always worth asking at least once. If you don't get a quick response just go ahead and queue, but if you do, you just saved some dps fifteen minutes and you have someone to gossip with when the healer turns out to be a huge rear end in a top hat.

Also I keep telling people this and I can only assume they think I'm just being polite, but if I'm doing nothing and you give me a shout, I'll generally tag along for whatever.

And if it makes you feel any better, anxiety over ruining people's fun is why I don't play healer. Its probably not healthy but you're not alone.

Great, thanks for this, I'm glad to know I'm doing some things right. I'm sure the more I do dungeons the better I'll learn the layouts and where the packs of mobs are, and I'll get better at positioning and dodging things without moving much (I try not as much as possible).

I usually ask in FC before I start doing anything but I do wonder if sometimes people might want to run multiple dungeons because apparently the best way to level a tank is to just run a whole bunch of dungeons so if a DPS wanted to do that with me then it might help them too.

(Also, are you Maleny?)