Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
One change I've noticed that is really loving cool (not sure how new it is): vendors in the 3 major cities will carry gear for all classes from level 1-50, so no longer you no longer have to hunt down the vendor every few levels to upgrade your gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah and there's dorks in Ishgard who've got you covered for 50-60 too. Nice and streamlined if the dungeons aren't cooperating and giving you useful goodies.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there any real way to heal the other alliances on controller? I don't think there is but I learned how to cycle targets in enmity list order only a few weeks ago and I've been playing since 2.1 so it's very possible I missed something

Didn't see it mentioned so: you can cycle through alliance members by holding L1/LB + left/right on the Dpad. It's cumbersome but heyyyy it's there!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Jay Rust posted:

Try not to move too much once you've got control of the situation: melee DPS will thank you for it.

Yes, please take all the AoEs to the face, that's what you are there for so I can make bigger numbers.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

....healing.....other alliance.....members.....?????

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mordiceius posted:

Cool. Yeah, currently I have Gladiator at 22 (100% from fates), Warrior at 52 (100% from fates/leves) and Dark Knight at 36 (100% from PotD). I had leveled up Warrior over a year ago so I remember nothing and didn't want to be overwhelmed when I looked at the abilities so I'm going full edgelord and leveling DRK.

From what people in FC chat were saying, my basics should be: Always have Grit on (while at lower levels while main tanking), always have darkside up (no exceptions), use Power Slash combo to get aggro, and Soul Eater combo after that. Unleash for groups. Use cooldowns on larger/multi packs. It's better to use cooldowns before a crisis than during a crisis.

I was able to run Halatali after this and felt that I did well (though missing almost all abilities).

It's interesting to me because it's fairly easy to find "Endgame tank rotation CLICK HERE" but fairly hard to find early/mid-game rotation advice. I assume this is probably also an issue for other classes?

Grit isn't really needed until dzemel darkhold if you're properly geared. It's good to have up when you're grabbing packs of mobs, but you should probably have it off for most bosses throughout. You'll get a feel for what you can and can't do. Also don't sweat loving up. If you die, just say whoops in /p chat and do it again.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Reiterpallasch posted:

b) rescue is the funniest goddamn poo poo on the planet

gently caress yeah

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Someone recently bought one of the hardsilver foils I was selling, melded it with strength IV materia, then relisted it to undercut the other foils I'm selling by one gil. I don't understand the market game.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

RoboJoe posted:

Great, thanks for this, I'm glad to know I'm doing some things right. I'm sure the more I do dungeons the better I'll learn the layouts and where the packs of mobs are, and I'll get better at positioning and dodging things without moving much (I try not as much as possible).

I usually ask in FC before I start doing anything but I do wonder if sometimes people might want to run multiple dungeons because apparently the best way to level a tank is to just run a whole bunch of dungeons so if a DPS wanted to do that with me then it might help them too.

(Also, are you Maleny?)

Yeah, that's me. And levelling fever might have died down a little, but I had a lot of success asking in fc if anyone wanted to run three or four Bardams or whatever.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hommando posted:

Someone recently bought one of the hardsilver foils I was selling, melded it with strength IV materia, then relisted it to undercut the other foils I'm selling by one gil. I don't understand the market game.

I'm going to guess that person was leveling a crafter and doing the weekly "meld 5 materia" challenge log.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
come to the kissing moai heads in the next 10 minutes if u want an rear end kicking

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mordiceius posted:

So how hard is it to learn to be a good tank? I have literally never played anything other than a healer ever in an MMO. So I've never had to worry about combos or rotations.

I want to go edgelord dark knight, but how big is the learning curve to be a tank?

Do not be the tank I had yesterday who pulled 2+ packs in Meddle and never ever used a personal cooldown and replied “git gud lol” when I begged him to use them.

Made it through by the skin of our teeth through clutch healer cooldowns and a BRD who brought their A-game with their cooldowns. Kicked the jerk right before the last boss :feelsgood:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Freaksaus posted:

I'm going to guess that person was leveling a crafter and doing the weekly "meld 5 materia" challenge log.

You do this with a some trash level 15 vendor gear, not something that somebody has crafted and put on the MB.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Basically to be a good tank (or any role really) is to be responsive to your party members. You can go at your pace and if the healer says you can pull more, do so or at least say why you won't. That covers like 90% of all cases. If a party member is being an rear end, I at least see no benefit in being argumentative or vindictive; I just flip the chat to something else and muscle through the dungeon.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Speaking of Ascians, why have they all looked like Hyurs? I know the real answer is "because they didn't have time to make more ascian models", but it'd be nice to see some variety among them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't imagine it's tough to make an Ascian model. They all just wear a mask and a robe that probably fits other races anyway. Like it's probably a lot easier to make an Ascian than to make any other story NPC's model.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Harrow posted:

I can't imagine it's tough to make an Ascian model. They all just wear a mask and a robe that probably fits other races anyway. Like it's probably a lot easier to make an Ascian than to make any other story NPC's model.

That assumes they did the smart thing and made it an actual outfit that they put onto player models and didn't craft them wholecloth as separate models that just look a lot like player ones.

If it IS just an outfit, they need to put it on the mog station already because I want it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I remember everyone kind of hating Temple of the Fist and I don't know if that's still true, but I really enjoy it. I realized what while doing it last night. The second boss is kind of a pain because I'm lovely at looking for boss cast bars but the rest of it is great and the last boss is really fun.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Temple of the fist is really good and has really good music

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoy all three of the current endgame dungeons and my only complaint is that both of the last bosses of the two non-story ones have underpowered gimmicks so they don't really get a chance to shine. Ivan Couralfist needs more mechanics going on during the grab-a-chakra phase and Kugane Castle's dude genuinely needs harder-to-collect gold.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Obligatum VII posted:

Speaking of Ascians, why have they all looked like Hyurs? I know the real answer is "because they didn't have time to make more ascian models", but it'd be nice to see some variety among them.

Generally speaking, shadowy hooded councils of destroying the world are not big on inclusivity, except in the sense of "hey we're destroying the world and that includes all of y'alls".

It's just one of the many good traits they haven't got, along with fashion sense, interior decorating, orderly exposition, and being a gracious loser.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I got on the free trial to see how this plays, but Excalibur was closed for new characters. If I wanted to chat with goons in linkshell, would I have to buy the full game and then transfer from Famfrit when possible (for €15 or whatever it costs) for proper guild invite?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

where does one direct bug reports? I am playing the 'Samurai' class and all my ability names appear to be in Japanese, whereas my language in-game is certifiably set to English. this is making it quite difficult to discuss the abilities with others who also do not speak Japanese. I understand this problem is usually addressed in the localization phase.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

where does one direct bug reports? I am playing the 'Samurai' class and all my ability names appear to be in Japanese, whereas my language in-game is certifiably set to English. this is making it quite difficult to discuss the abilities with others who also do not speak Japanese. I understand this problem is usually addressed in the localization phase.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wangsbig posted:

Git gud :v:

No but seriously it's really not that hard to memorize the abilities that you use day in day out if you play the Job with any regularity. I don't speak a lick of Japanese either, it took me like a day or two to internalize everything and it's not even my main.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
last night I finally level 50 DRK. My favorite moment in leveling is hitting a big level break point like that. I went from il34 to il117 and over doubled all of my stats.

I did a quick 50DR which popped WP EX. I told the group that I was a fresh 50 tank but left out the part where I hit 50 Warrior in ARR when WPEX was in the EXDR rotation, that it's my favorite level 50 dungeon, and I know the whole place inside and out. The healer's reaction was real good when I pulled everything to the door.

The healer must have also been fresh because he was casting holy from the back line but I didn't bother looking because GOTTA PULL FAST

e: I also didn't bother correcting him because it was really funny

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoy all three of the current endgame dungeons and my only complaint is that both of the last bosses of the two non-story ones have underpowered gimmicks so they don't really get a chance to shine. Ivan Couralfist needs more mechanics going on during the grab-a-chakra phase and Kugane Castle's dude genuinely needs harder-to-collect gold.

The only problem with Ivon's orbs is that everybody else needs to stand back and let me grab them all. Otherwise I've seen a few wipes on that fight due to people screwing up mechanics (usually a healer getting run over by dragons) which seems about right for a four man dungeon.

I've never seen a party come even remotely close to failing at the last boss of Kugane Castle, so it could definitely stand to be tuned upwards.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 25, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like ability name translations. Saga Frontier had abilities like Turbid Current and Rosario Impale that I remember fondly

And Life Sprinkler :black101:

Jinh fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 25, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I don't think i've done a single exdr in the last 3 weeks that wasn't kugane castle.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Git gud :v:

No but seriously it's really not that hard to memorize the abilities that you use day in day out if you play the Job with any regularity. I don't speak a lick of Japanese either, it took me like a day or two to internalize everything and it's not even my main.

i think the ability names would be even easier to memorize if they were translated to my native language, 'english'

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Renegret posted:

last night I finally level 50 DRK. My favorite moment in leveling is hitting a big level break point like that. I went from il34 to il117 and over doubled all of my stats.

I did a quick 50DR which popped WP EX. I told the group that I was a fresh 50 tank but left out the part where I hit 50 Warrior in ARR when WPEX was in the EXDR rotation, that it's my favorite level 50 dungeon, and I know the whole place inside and out. The healer's reaction was real good when I pulled everything to the door.

The healer must have also been fresh because he was casting holy from the back line but I didn't bother looking because GOTTA PULL FAST

e: I also didn't bother correcting him because it was really funny

If you haven't done the 50 DRK quest, go do it right now.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

additionally my damage-over-time spell, which I believe is called hibganganbganggn, appears to last literally 60 seconds. should that be its own report or can I lump it in with the request for translation

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, just according to keikaku.*

*(Translator's note: keikaku means plan)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wangsbig posted:

additionally my damage-over-time spell, which I believe is called hibganganbganggn, appears to last literally 60 seconds. should that be its own report or can I lump it in with the request for translation

Higg's Banana

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

If you haven't done the 50 DRK quest, go do it right now.

yeah I know it's real good, but it was past my bed time and I really had an itch to tank something that wasn't stupid garbage ARR leveling content so I'm gonna do it when I get home from work today.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wangsbig posted:

The long duration of hugebanana gives you more time to weeb out over the Japanese skill names. Except for Third Eye for some reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wangsbig posted:

i think the ability names would be even easier to memorize if they were translated to my native language, 'english'

Ironically it actually might not have been, given that like half of them translate roughly to some variety of <noun> Wind. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

Ah yes, just according to keikaku.*

*(Translator's note: keikaku means plan)

nakama means friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Say, I was surprised that that Red Mage started at 50 when I switched (I was prepared to level to 50 and then to 50 again as a Red Mage). Are the Heavensward jobs the same or do they need to level from 1? I think I recall them having base class requirements so I assume they start at 1?

Also, you need to get through all the 2.0 and up stuff before starting Heavensward and then do some more Heavensward stuff before you even unlock the jobs right?

Truga posted:

nakama means friend

actually it's way deeper and more meaningful which is why we've decided to us-*faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*