Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MMAgCh posted:

You can take a character to 70 just fine with a low-level Elov ring, as it's really only its legendary affix you're after. Once you're 70 you extract its power via the cube and are free to wear something better instead.

I don't know poo poo about a cube. I guess I'll have to get on that. I just completed Act I of the seasonal stuff last night so getting a cube of some kind is part of Act II. I assume that's the cube. Also I learned how to swap out skills for other skills so I dropped bone armor for a golem and now I'm just running around with skeletons and a golem. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
EU has a raiment gen monk, I guess different regions have a different challenge rift. Interesting

mewse
May 2, 2006

Guilty posted:

EU has a raiment gen monk, I guess different regions have a different challenge rift. Interesting

This fucker?

I wouldn't call him a raiment monk when he's only got the 2pc

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I'd like to know why this monk doesn't have a belt equipped.
Also why the follower has no rings or class items.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mewse posted:

This fucker?

Hey, someone else using the stupid helm/pauldrons transmog combo i use!

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
How does paralysis proc work with chain lightning attacks like electrocute? Is it a 15% chance per attack to stun every enemy hit? Or does each enemy hit have a seperate 15% chance to be stunned?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I want to believe these challenge rifts are all copies of real-life clueless Diablo players ripped straight from the armory.

They are right ?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

They are right ?

Chosen by an intern so far as I've been led to believe

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

It'd be more boring if they picked cookie cutter stuff though

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I mean, there's "boring" and then there's "monk without Dashing Strike".

mewse
May 2, 2006

bio347 posted:

I mean, there's "boring" and then there's "monk without Dashing Strike".

Lol

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

euphronius posted:

It's never happened to me ?

Your natural wrath regen and the flense should keep you going

Also the 50% wrath reduction law

Also move the boss around and suck in stray mobs with vaccuum

There are no stray mobs in a GR vs the guardian. Natural wrath regen isn't cutting it, maybe I need to reroll for it.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So with a relatively fresh lvl 70 wizard, and having just gotten the Tal 6-piece, is this the build I want to build towards first:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-arcane-torrent-build-with-manald-ring-and-tal-rasha-set-patch-2-6-season-11

That seems like a first step before the combined Tal-Vyr build. If that's right, what should I prioritize with gambling and crafting -- gamble for APDs and craft for Manald Heal?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

If any non - season goons want power leveled or just to gently caress around getting geared up I'm finally gimmick stronk enough. Let me know, I'm on plenty now

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Chosen by an intern so far as I've been led to believe

Whoever chooses these characters is picking them straight out of hell.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i have three helltooth pieces, the extra haunt belt, two pieces of blackthornes armor, and some set piece mojo that increases fetish army damage by like 20%. i am become the avatar of death, all shall tremble from necrosis

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I would have beat that challenge rift first try if Rime didn't decide to spawn halfway across the floor for some reason

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

mewse posted:

This fucker?

I have this one

http://imgur.com/a/ElAKZ

Most of these people trying to clear 35 are leveling new characters I believe. Remember how completed your builds were when you were trying to do 20 this season?

Guilty fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 25, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
First try on GR70 with Roland's at paragon 500. I'm amazing!

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

The actual stats on a Manald Heal might as well be irrelevant for what the proc gives you.

It turns out that you do probably want a good one to wear though since your other options for Archon are ORotZ and RoRG, neither of which roll with an ideal selection of stats.

There seem to be different opinions on Zodiac vs CoE as the 3rd ring, I got an ancient CoE so I've been using that instead and it's ok. I would say in fast groups where you get more CD reduction from killing more elites it is very viable.

Also lol at me trying to do the set dungeon with an archon lightning wiz build.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dross posted:

There are no stray mobs in a GR vs the guardian. Natural wrath regen isn't cutting it, maybe I need to reroll for it.

I've also been saving the archon form whatever it's called on crusader . Huge wrath regen

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Man, I cleared the challenge first try but it was a close thing. And by close I mean less than a second left. Jesus what a terrible build to play.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Here's a question about transmogrification. So I got a legendary sword that looks really cool, and my mystic lady is max level, is there any way I can turn this new axe I got that looks like poo poo, into that sword?

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

McCoy Pauley posted:

So with a relatively fresh lvl 70 wizard, and having just gotten the Tal 6-piece, is this the build I want to build towards first:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-arcane-torrent-build-with-manald-ring-and-tal-rasha-set-patch-2-6-season-11

That seems like a first step before the combined Tal-Vyr build. If that's right, what should I prioritize with gambling and crafting -- gamble for APDs and craft for Manald Heal?

APDs are for higher GR pushing, the shield bracers are good enough for 80s easily. APDs are annoying to roll since you want life per hit somewhere if you're going to solo push.

I would run bounties till you get a 7 attack/8 cdr rrog, upgrade rings to try and get a good manald or 8 cdr, 7 attack or 50 chd coe. The manald is really loving hard to roll right, and still get screwed by the secondary.

Make sure the fazula or swami you are wearing has maxed out secondaries, I would gamble ancients on that before I gamble for APDs.

Upgrading wands should be your first priority above all else. Aether walker and Starfire are used for solo so use the best ancient you get with attack speed/cdr and ideally damage%. Serpent sparker is "ok" for group stuff but I think necromans are taking over the RG killer role now. Throw your DBs into rings and amulet afterwards

Gamble for ancient tal, then gamble on that hat/belt then bracers.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

GTJustin posted:

APDs are for higher GR pushing, the shield bracers are good enough for 80s easily. APDs are annoying to roll since you want life per hit somewhere if you're going to solo push.

I would run bounties till you get a 7 attack/8 cdr rrog, upgrade rings to try and get a good manald or 8 cdr, 7 attack or 50 chd coe. The manald is really loving hard to roll right, and still get screwed by the secondary.

Make sure the fazula or swami you are wearing has maxed out secondaries, I would gamble ancients on that before I gamble for APDs.

Upgrading wands should be your first priority above all else. Aether walker and Starfire are used for solo so use the best ancient you get with attack speed/cdr and ideally damage%. Serpent sparker is "ok" for group stuff but I think necromans are taking over the RG killer role now. Throw your DBs into rings and amulet afterwards

Gamble for ancient tal, then gamble on that hat/belt then bracers.

Thanks. After about 5 seasons in a row of DHs, I'm finding it to be quite an adjustment to figure out gear and skill loadouts for a wizard.

Is that the right skill loadouts, in that icy veins build, if I don't yet have all the right gear? Seems like I need some other source of lightning without Manald Heal.

Basic wizard question with elemental attacks -- does anything that causes elemental damage proc the buff from Tals? Or does it have to be an actual attack spell? I had an ice armor skill on last night that does cold damage when enemies get close, and it wasn't clear to me that it was adding a stack for cold damage.

Same question for the Elemental Exposure passive -- does everything proc it, or do some skills not proc it? Or do I not need to worry about this passive, since it doesn't seem to be part of the Tal build?

EDIT:. Actually as I look more closely, seems like I should be following this Tal starter build here until I get better gear:

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/wizard-leveling-and-fresh-70-guide-patch-2-6-season-11#sec-3

Which does include EE.

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 25, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
In-Geom is also a very good choice for group GR imo. I've only started with lighting wizard this season but there seem a lot of different setups for it. Really happy with the one I found.

Ivriniel
Alternative items are Aether Walker for more teleports, Zodiac ring for the CDR, Nemesis bracers or APD.

My rerolls probably suck since this wasn't an icy veins guide and I am simply not sure outside of CDR what's best. One key reroll is the Lightning damage on bracers, you only want a single item with +Lightning damage, not other +damage items, else your archon form wont be lightning. Yes I was that stupid.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
On a couple of build guides I found they say that for the Witch Doctor you want to keep upgrading your 2H Sword. I understand that since many abilities are a damage % of the main weapon you want to use a 2H, but why do they mention Swords? As far as I can tell any 2 hander would be fine, am I correct?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

McCoy Pauley posted:

Is that the right skill loadouts, in that icy veins build, if I don't yet have all the right gear? Seems like I need some other source of lightning without Manald Heal.

Basic wizard question with elemental attacks -- does anything that causes elemental damage proc the buff from Tals? Or does it have to be an actual attack spell? I had an ice armor skill on last night that does cold damage when enemies get close, and it wasn't clear to me that it was adding a stack for cold damage.

Same question for the Elemental Exposure passive -- does everything proc it, or do some skills not proc it? Or do I not need to worry about this passive, since it doesn't seem to be part of the Tal build?

1. Lightning % has to be your top rolled element in order for anything about Manald to work. It turns your Archon damage to lightning regardless of what rune you use, which is where you'll be spending most of your time and how you'll vaporize elites.

2. Anything that causes elemental damage will proc 2pc. meteors, but you have to use active damaging spells in order for the 4/6pc. to work. This includes Hydra and oddball runes like Freezing Mist for Nova and Calamity for Teleport.

3. Elemental Exposure works exactly like 2pc. meteors, but for Archon you're better off using Power Hungry since you're not consistently activating all four elements and it synergizes well with Starfire + Zei's.

GTJustin posted:

Serpent Sparker is loving amazing, double Lightning Hydras paired with the start of the Archon cycle can put out trillions of damage in seconds. Unlike Starfire or In-Geom it also benefits from not requiring a decent legendary roll, and allows the Wizard to remain a threat even outside of Archon form. Would take it over AW for a Manald spec any day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Furism posted:

On a couple of build guides I found they say that for the Witch Doctor you want to keep upgrading your 2H Sword. I understand that since many abilities are a damage % of the main weapon you want to use a 2H, but why do they mention Swords? As far as I can tell any 2 hander would be fine, am I correct?

Not sure any WD builds use 2H weapons at all. The off hands for them all provide a decent damage buff and orange text on them so there's not much reason to use a 2H. If you're looking at leveling guides, yes keep doing that for max damage. But once you hit 70, switch to a 1H and an off hand.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Larrymer posted:

Not sure any WD builds use 2H weapons at all. The off hands for them all provide a decent damage buff and orange text on them so there's not much reason to use a 2H. If you're looking at leveling guides, yes keep doing that for max damage. But once you hit 70, switch to a 1H and an off hand.

Okay then I'll do that! Voodoo Dolls look cooler anyway.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can someone explain to me how streamers speed through TXIII Rifts as a Manald Wizard without dying? I have all the gear, all the variant gear, and I sit at 58-59 CDR, In-Geom, etc and feel like sometimes I get momentum going and my double stack will waste a whole GR 55 in 3 mins but other times I just die horribly over and over and don't really know how to defend myself.

This is my first season playing softcore after 8 seasons of HC so "learning to not die so often" is a different lesson, and I never play INT classes in HC because I feel like it's to easy to just pop like a balloon.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Can someone explain to me how streamers speed through TXIII Rifts as a Manald Wizard without dying? I have all the gear, all the variant gear, and I sit at 58-59 CDR, In-Geom, etc and feel like sometimes I get momentum going and my double stack will waste a whole GR 55 in 3 mins but other times I just die horribly over and over and don't really know how to defend myself.

This is my first season playing softcore after 8 seasons of HC so "learning to not die so often" is a different lesson, and I never play INT classes in HC because I feel like it's to easy to just pop like a balloon.

Just because you have all the gear doesn't mean it's optimized or even usable. You need to have the correct rolls and correct stats also.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Besides just plain old gitting gud, if you're having trouble staying alive as a (wo)Manald Wiz then APDs are the easiest way of increasing survivability. It's also important to reapply elemental stacks from Tal's as soon as you come out of Archon, and on upper GRs I usually hit mobs immediately with a Calamity for more APD damage reduction. Remember to rune Force Armor, Deflection, and if you're using RoF as your Cold spell then you can opt for the freezing rune for more survivability. Any second you're not in Archon you basically have to treat like a bullet hell shooter, which is why I elect to spend as little time outside of Archon as possible.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

1. Lightning % has to be your top rolled element in order for anything about Manald to work. It turns your Archon damage to lightning regardless of what rune you use, which is where you'll be spending most of your time and how you'll vaporize elites.

2. Anything that causes elemental damage will proc 2pc. meteors, but you have to use active damaging spells in order for the 4/6pc. to work. This includes Hydra and oddball runes like Freezing Mist for Nova and Calamity for Teleport.

3. Elemental Exposure works exactly like 2pc. meteors, but for Archon you're better off using Power Hungry since you're not consistently activating all four elements and it synergizes well with Starfire + Zei's.

Thanks, Tea -- that's very helpful. Time to start gearing up.

I can tell this is going to be more complicated to set up and (I'm guessing) to play than the last few seasons of Impale DHs, where I could just go stabby on everything that moves.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Guilty posted:

Just because you have all the gear doesn't mean it's optimized or even usable. You need to have the correct rolls and correct stats also.

I manged to gain about 20% sheet dps just by going through all the duplicates I had in my stash and figuring out which ones had the most potential to reforge and I came out with a good bit more toughness too. Be sure to optimize your poo poo occasionally.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Here is my Wizard. I have In-Geom instead of Aether Walker in the cube, and I have Bloodbracers equipped. My equipped Starfire is bad, but I do have 2 ancient Starfire in my stash waiting for my first gift of the season.

Basically I just copy/pasted the build from this video by Dropaduski but i'm realizing now from reading your comments:

A) I think Blizzard is only useful for 4 man groups and I'm dumb for not equipping Frost Nova instead. I seriously don't understand what this skill is supposed to do for me outside of adding a Tal's stack, maybe someone with 4-man experience can shed light.

B) Equipping Frost Nova will empower my Ancient (Ancient) Parthan Defenders. Will this make them more useful than Ashnagarr's Blood Bracers?

C) Static Discharge is great for melting mobs down, but I feel like I'm way more vulnerable and resource dependent than when my Hydras did all the work. Why did Hydra's fall out of favor with all the top streamers? I have a Sparker for my cube.

I went through all my duplicate Tal'Vyrs and cleaned up a bunch of stats. I feel like only my boots and pants are really trash, and obviously a CC/CHD Manald Heal will replace my RoRg if I ever get one.

For the OP, I added all my favorite streamers. I'm thinking of linking Wolfcryer's returning player's guide and the "Returning to Diablo 3" reddit thread because they both do a great job of explaining everything since the Auction House got pulled. I am also going to add both of Bluddshed's goblin farming videos because they are awesome and they have really helped me find a bunch of mats easily. I still haven't gotten a Rainbow Goblin since the stealth buff, and I haven't even seen a bandit shrine in like 3 seasons. Any other resources were throwing in the OP?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 25, 2017

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Is there any pestilence build that is stronger than t13?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

A) I think Blizzard is only useful for 4 man groups and I'm dumb for not equipping Frost Nova instead. I seriously don't understand what this skill is supposed to do for me outside of adding a Tal's stack, maybe someone with 4-man experience can shed light.

B) Equipping Frost Nova will empower my Ancient (Ancient) Parthan Defenders. Will this make them more useful than Ashnagarr's Blood Bracers?

Frost Nova will not add a Tal's stack unless it's the Frozen Mist rune, which coincidentally is the only rune that does not freeze. The stuns for APD primarily come from Paralysis and Zei's, if you use that gem. IMHO APDs are always stronger than Blood Bracers with the added benefit of not eating up a passive. I'm guessing Boon of the Hoarder is just what you use for farming.

One instant improvement you could make right now in your current setup would just be using RoF as your "make Archon happen faster" skill and cubing SS for double lightning hydra, or using an ancient anything if you have it because 2.1k mainhand weapon damage is very low.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

e: Also some of your rolls are questionable. Rolling for CDR on amulet when that could be 10% crit or 20% lightning, magic missile % on pants for some reason, no crit on bracers. Not so great rolls on the ORotZ and Fazula legendary text.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Here is my Wizard. I have In-Geom instead of Aether Walker in the cube, and I have Bloodbracers equipped. My equipped Starfire is bad, but I do have 2 ancient Starfire in my stash waiting for my first gift of the season.

Basically I just copy/pasted the build from this video by Dropaduski but i'm realizing now from reading your comments:

C) Static Discharge is great for melting mobs down, but I feel like I'm way more vulnerable and resource dependent than when my Hydras did all the work. Why did Hydra's fall out of favor with all the top streamers? I have a Sparker for my cube.

I went through all my duplicate Tal'Vyrs and cleaned up a bunch of stats. I feel like only my boots and pants are really trash, and obviously a CC/CHD Manald Heal will replace my RoRg if I ever get one.

For the OP, I added all my favorite streamers. I'm thinking of linking Wolfcryer's returning player's guide and the "Returning to Diablo 3" reddit thread because they both do a great job of explaining everything since the Auction House got pulled. I am also going to add both of Bluddshed's goblin farming videos because they are awesome and they have really helped me find a bunch of mats easily. I still haven't gotten a Rainbow Goblin since the stealth buff, and I haven't even seen a bandit shrine in like 3 seasons. Any other resources were throwing in the OP?

None of your gear is ancient, which is why you can't just steamroll t13. You can farm it, but you won't be able to melt everything in t13 until wizards breach 1 mil dps.

You absolutely do not want to factor anything with Hydras into your build at all, until you're the RG killer in a 4 man group. Hydras are bugged in that they steal procs from your main source.

How it works is this: When you proc a paralysis, it opens a window for Manald Heal to deal damage. During this window, you're hopefully going to crit which will shoot your damage skywards, these big crits are what deal a wizards damage. At higher levels this is very noticeable on even white little spiders. You'll proc the paralysis, but still deal no damage until the big orange numbers show up.

What CAN (not always, but with reasonable frequency) happen with hydras is that your archon beam will open that window, but the hydra will strike it, closing your window and opening a new one, rendering it impossible for your archon beam to proc during the hydra's window.

Thus, it's only useful when there's a single target, and you're both hitting the same target, both hopefully proccing on that target. Otherwise it's just shutting down damage from one source, either your archon or the hydra.

In other news, this is the worst season I've had so far in diablo 3. Day five, and I have literally 3 useable ancient items, a belt, a pair of pants, and a mediocre weapon. I am nearly 900 paragon, and I'm still running around with 10 non-ancient pieces and no augments. Of my necro and my WD, only my LON WD has ancient pieces and that's from brute forcing rerolls through tons of bounties. gently caress this season.