Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe someone can cite Hillary Clinton for jaywalking or improperly disposing of an aerosol container or something just to calm things down in the White House a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Some actual good news:

https://twitter.com/microsoft/status/889691624757788672

This is the type of poo poo that I wish was current events. Not the downfall of America.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

TBeats posted:

Man I gotta take a break from current events.

gently caress that

this poo poo fuels me

GIMME FUEL GIMME FIRE GIMME THAT WHICH I DESIRE (more chaos) OOOOOHYEAH

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

milk milk lemonade posted:

Will someone in our loving government do their job and get this fucker the gently caress out, Christ

Im amazed that the 4 (5?) current senators that had the ambition to run for president against trump, none have seized the opportunity to be the symbol of leadership against him.

There will almost certainly be a primary challenge if he makes it to 2020, and none of them want free media coverage? I don't buy it. There is such sort of arrangement keeping Rubio and fat Dracula from saying anything

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
As a Miami resident gently caress Marco Rubio he is a spineless weak bastard

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sacrist65 posted:

Im amazed that the 4 (5?) current senators that had the ambition to run for president against trump, none have seized the opportunity to be the symbol of leadership against him.

There will almost certainly be a primary challenge if he makes it to 2020, and none of them want free media coverage? I don't buy it. There is such sort of arrangement keeping Rubio and fat Dracula from saying anything

They didn't say anything republican voters wanted to hear.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

TBeats posted:

Man I gotta take a break from current events. The poo poo is stressful if you pay too much attention. Or I need to somehow change my viewpoint to see it as a sitcom or drama or some other poo poo on basic cable.

I always thought it was my duty to pay attention and be informed. Now I think it's my duty to not lose my mind over this stupid administration.

Just change your point of view of this dumpster fire of a timeline. I recommend becoming nihilistic.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Advocating nihilism to deal with political discord is like advocating suicide to deal with emotional or mental discord.
Sure, your body doesn't die, but you and your ilk slowly kill the body politic and leave it bereft of the exact same people it must have in order to improve.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BaconAndBullets posted:

Just change your point of view of this dumpster fire of a timeline. I recommend becoming nihilistic.

It's actually the other way around though

Especially with twitter

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Waroduce posted:

As a Miami resident gently caress Marco Rubio he is a spineless weak bastard

Trade you for Ben Sasse?

He might be as concerned as John McCain you guys.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Immanentized posted:

Trade you for Ben Sasse?

He might be as concerned as John McCain you guys.

Sasse has got to be the most spineless man in congress. gently caress Ben Sasse.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Manafort just got subpoenaed because Judiciary couldn't make a deal with him for testimony tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/889846127796899840

hail gay satan

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shame on an IGA posted:

RIP objective reality and facts as fundamental concepts underlying civilization 1021-2017

https://nytimes.com/2017/07/24/business/media/snopes-crowdfunding-proper-media.html

Another look.

quote:

This campaign is a part of a legal dispute that's been happening all year. In May, Proper Media filed a complaint against Snopes owner David Mikkelson and corporate co-owner of Snopes, Bardav, Inc., alleging breach of contract and civil conspiracy.

"This case involves unlawful jockeying for ownership and control of the fact-checking website Snopes.com," the complaint reads. "But while Snopes is built entirely around the concepts of transparency and truth, its founder, Defendant David Mikkelson, has engaged in a lengthy scheme of concealment and subterfuge to gain control of the company and to drain its profits."

Bardav filed a cross-complaint against Proper Media in June also alleging breach of contract.

"Proper Media failed to perform its contractual and legal obligations and Bardav eventually terminated the contract in accordance with its terms," the cross-complaint reads. "Proper Media is now wrongfully withholding money owed to Bardav and effectively holding the Snopes.com website hostage by preventing Bardav from moving the website, advertising and other back-end functions to another service provider."

According to the original complaint, Proper Media acquired 50 percent of Snopes after a "contentious" divorce between David and Barbara Mikkelson in July 2016. After divorce proceedings resolved, Ms. Mikkelson sold her equity in Snopes to Proper Media.

I contacted Proper Media and corresponded with Karl Kronenberger via email. He's the attorney for Proper Media who filed the complaint against David Mikkelson and Bardav.

Kronenberger rejects the version of events described in the "Please help save Snopes.com!" GoFundMe letter. He pointed out that Proper Media is a 50% co-owner of Bardav, and that David Mikkelson faces pending lawsuit alleging "gross financial, technical, and corporate mismanagement."

"It is the height of irony that in today's post, Mr. Mikkelson attempts to rewrite history by saying Snopes 'began as a small one-person effort in 1994'—erasing his co-founder, former partner, and wife of many years, Barbara Mikkelson, who owned 50 percent of Bardav before selling her interest to Proper Media in 2016," Kronenberger said.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Well they hit their fundraising goal, which is good I guess.

Also, seeing both a NYT and a Vice article on the topic reminds me of this gem,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLmkec_4Rfo

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

joat mon posted:

Advocating nihilism to deal with political discord is like advocating suicide to deal with emotional or mental discord.
Sure, your body doesn't die, but you and your ilk slowly kill the body politic and leave it bereft of the exact same people it must have in order to improve.

It's akin to someone trying to stay in the military to move up to the senior ranks in order to try and correct the institutional failings and poo poo leadership they experience.

Except you're facing a much larger, more diverse population without the common unity of purpose in the oath of enlistment/commissioning.

Oh, and both halves of the population openly call for the death of the other half for being a blight against God/humanity, and neither major party apparatus is concerned with anything but their own pay checks.

You can keep your optimism about changing the system. I want Mueller to rip this government to shreds so that something approaching reform can be passed. Until then, every new story is nothing but entertainment.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Where did this insane poo poo about Ukraine come from? I remember some idiot Fox News story about an ethnic Ukraine DNC dude, but it is hilarious that anyone would try and hold one up to the other

next-level conspiracy poo poo: did Russia come up with this to pit Trump against Ukraine, or is this an incredible own goal

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Where did this insane poo poo about Ukraine come from? I remember some idiot Fox News story about an ethnic Ukraine DNC dude, but it is hilarious that anyone would try and hold one up to the other

next-level conspiracy poo poo: did Russia come up with this to pit Trump against Ukraine, or is this an incredible own goal

The President of the United States, with probably the most expansive and sophisticated intelligence gathering capabilities in recorded history at his fingertips, watches Fox and Friends on TiVo then tweets about it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The President of the United States, with probably the most expansive and sophisticated intelligence gathering capabilities in recorded history at his fingertips, watches Fox and Friends on TiVo then tweets about it.

He doesn't listen to them. They don't flatter him and he's suspicious of them because they've been a font of leaks to the press.

In some ways that's scary, but in other ways it's a relief to know that Donald John Trump isn't actually utilizing our intelligence services to their full horrifying potential.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

An American (an important distinction vis a vis accepting campaign contributions from foreign nationals) from Ukraine. Her name is Chalupa.
I think this article from Politico (from January) was the genesis of the Ukraine angle.

redneck nazgul posted:

It's akin to someone trying to stay in the military to move up to the senior ranks in order to try and correct the institutional failings and poo poo leadership they experience.

Except you're facing a much larger, more diverse population without the common unity of purpose in the oath of enlistment/commissioning.

Oh, and both halves of the population openly call for the death of the other half for being a blight against God/humanity, and neither major party apparatus is concerned with anything but their own pay checks.
There are intermediate steps between full quixotic engagement (which is exhausting) and nihilism.

redneck nazgul posted:

You can keep your optimism about changing the system. I want Mueller to rip this government to shreds so that something approaching reform can be passed. Until then, every new story is nothing but entertainment.
Neither of these two desires are in any way nihilistic. Nor are they contradictory.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 25, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

If donnie was friends with the IC, he would be an extremely dangerous man, but as it is, the IC despises him and vice versa, so he has virtually no access to the espionage resources of the US, other than what gets leaked to the press and eventually hits Fox News.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

TBeats posted:

Man I gotta take a break from current events. The poo poo is stressful if you pay too much attention. Or I need to somehow change my viewpoint to see it as a sitcom or drama or some other poo poo on basic cable.

I always thought it was my duty to pay attention and be informed. Now I think it's my duty to not lose my mind over this stupid administration.

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/830233648356016129

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BaconAndBullets posted:

Oh, that must be exhausting.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I don't have anything to say other than lol

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/889707869897203713

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2cjVhUrmII

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I can actually see Sorkin snorting a fat line while he writes "INSERT SOUND OF PASSENGER JET FLYING OVERHEAD"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Epiphyte posted:

I can actually see Sorkin snorting a fat line while he writes "INSERT SOUND OF PASSENGER JET FLYING OVERHEAD"

Yeah the sound effect is a bit too on the nose but I think the parable works in general for describing insurgency/counter-insurgency and unpredictable long-term effects of intervention.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I present to you a story about White House staffing in three tweets.

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/889838615689388036

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/889849033921097728

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/889888802130583552

It's a purge planet, Morty!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I see all this going down one of two ways:
-Trump fires Sessions, replaces him with his golf caddy, who fires Mueller. Republican congress: "WELL TECHNICALLY ITS NOT ILLEGAL"

-Same as above, but Republican congress reappoints Mueller as special counsel, except that his remit is to investigate "all foreign interference in the election" (so that they can try to point him towards the Ukraine story) and literally nothing else, especially the President's family and finances. The system works!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That's really good. The next two paragraphs are pretty amazing too, if a bit more niche. The sentiment applies to faith in democratic institutions as well - or perhaps especially, since the impact and effects of those institutions are more concrete and apparent.
It's a good start on looking at the existential dread people have about putting faith and energy into imperfect and fallible institutions - but the alternatives are brainless loyalty (The first kind of loyalty) or nihilism.
But like the first part said; it's ok to take some time off.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Oh.. Did someone mention the Keebler Klansman?

Turns out he isn't real happy and we are headed for a show down.

Also. As much as her Parkinsons shake voice irritates me. I am starting to like Susan Collins..

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/889875194394947585

In case you are wondering. Its hot mic audio of Jack Reed and her making GBS threads on Trump's lack of understanding about the shotgun barrel they are staring down. Followed by the quotes in the tweet. Come for the fun, stay for the bunny girl/pajama insult.

Edit:

Also. Breitbart just stuck a few knives into Trump. So thats both Hannity and Breitbart who are pushing back against Angry Mango and his traveling dumpster fire.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 25, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The healthcare bill looks like it's going to advance again, the "moderates" are caving again. Current status: https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/889908519595626496

It's being spun as "guys if we don't proceed we can't change the bill and vote on amendments!!!" when all of the amendments are bad. McConnell looks like he's trying to punt the bill to a conference committee between the House and Senate by passing a "skinny repeal", which doesn't touch the Medicaid expansion and turbofucks the individual market.

If the House doesn't just flat pass the Senate bill.

https://twitter.com/petersuderman/status/889909758454513664

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/status/889849720104943616

poo poo's p. hosed

Edit: it's gonna pass - https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/889912559922552833

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 25, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

a concerned john mccain springs into action

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

a concerned john mccain springs into action

If only the Senate voted by show of hands.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Watch McCain vote no, just for it to go to Pence for the tiebreaker.

EDIT: Yeah, I misread the NYT vote tally. Disregard. McCain still spinelessness.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 25, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Handsome Ralph posted:

Watch McCain vote no, just for it to go to Pence for the tiebreaker.

It already is going to Pence, if McCain votes no it fails

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
McCain is going to enter the Senate chambers to thunderous applause from both sides and then vote Yes.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Oh.. Hey..

Ron Johnson might kill the motion with a no..

Edit: Never mind. He caved with McCain

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 25, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
McCain said he won't vote Yes as it stands but is voting yes to allowing debate to proceed.

He manages to make being a party sycophant sound good though

• Locked thread