Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'd like to believe it's widely acknowledged by everyone now that Apocalypto is tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd like to believe it's widely acknowledged by everyone now that Apocalypto is tight.

I definitely think the people who still use it as a punchline haven't actually seen it

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I saw Apocalypto for the first time this past weekend and it's incredible.

I appreciate we're wandering off-topic, but how is The Passion of the Christ as a movie? My recollection of the contemporary response is so dominated by the religious controversy that I don't have an impression of the response to it as a piece of filmmaking.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I saw Apocalypto for the first time this past weekend and it's incredible.

I appreciate we're wandering off-topic, but how is The Passion of the Christ as a movie? My recollection of the contemporary response is so dominated by the religious controversy that I don't have an impression of the response to it as a piece of filmmaking.

I feel kind of alone on this one too (not as alone as on Hacksaw Ridge), but if you can get past the wild antisemitism it's a really drat well-made movie. Gibson is good at religious ecstasy and even better at extreme violence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Passion of the Christ is a vivid peek into the worldview and pathology of Dominionism.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Apocalypto is a pretty unique film though, whereas Hacksaw Ridge is something we've seen before a thousand times. So I definitely consider it a big step back for Gibson.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I wasn't surprised that the Japanese got limited screen time in Hacksaw Ridge considering that it's Gibson who's directing. At least he left that scene in with Doss accidentally bumping into that Japanese guy in the underground cavern. Just a touch of humanity. I liked Hacksaw Ridge but Apocalypto was much better IMO.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

good at religious ecstasy and even better at extreme violence

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

a vivid peek into the worldview and pathology of Dominionism

Sounds like my sort of movie, I'll get on it. Thanks!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is Arrested Developments decade later Netflix season worth watching after I finish the real seasons

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

Is Arrested Developments decade later Netflix season worth watching after I finish the real seasons

I'd say yes, plus it's supposedly coming back for another season so may as well completely catch up if you're gonna watch that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

No.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was really disappointing. Most of the jokes are whiffs and the story is super forgettable.

I went to a watching party for it and everyone just sat there stone faced for like 3 hours until someone was like "am I crazy or is this not very good?"

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nroo posted:

The battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge were like if you took the already borderline macabre black comedy of the opening of Saving Private Ryan and exaggerated it to Sam Raimi splatstick levels. It was very bizarre to have that in the middle of what was otherwise an unremarkable movie that felt like it was trying to sell you on a specific worldview that the director seemed to either not understand or agree with.

Also I know it comes with the territory for American films on the Pacific Theater of the war but it felt really off to portray the Japanese the way they were portrayed in what was ostensibly a film about a compassionate pacifist.

How the hell could you interpret the beginning of saving private Ryan as black comedy? I'm serious I really want to know how you came to that conclusion.

And the new season of arrested development is good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really liked what they did with the Arrested Development reunion. It was fine, occasionally great even

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Field Mousepad posted:

How the hell could you interpret the beginning of saving private Ryan as black comedy? I'm serious I really want to know how you came to that conclusion.

I agree with your post but the movie definitely has a couple of moments like this and maybe if the person hasn't seen the movie in a long time they might be remembering them more than the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bI8n13IQfU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That moment is kind of like the Wilhelm scream though.

I swear almost every single movie about war has someone getting hit in the helmet with a bullet, and then he takes it off and goes "GOLLY! I SURE AM LUCKY!" and then promptly gets shot in the head.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

I should've stressed "borderline", I personally don't think it's funny or was intended to be. But for what it's worth the 2 times that opening scene was shown in highschool classes I was in, the bit from the video posted above drew some laughter each time. There's other bits in the scene that work as "jokes" with a set up and gory punch-line: Hanks dragging a guy for a while only to look back and he's now dragging nothing but a torso, and the bit with him turning to a radioman repeatedly until the third time he's missing his face. It's shocking and upsetting imagery meant to emphasize how random and cruel the violence is but the execution of it at points could also be set to Curb Your Enthusiasm music.

Meanwhile, I thought it was hilarious in Hacksaw Ridge when 2 minutes into the first battle some dude charges holding a legless corpse as a shield with one hand and firing a massive assault rifle with the other. I wish the rest of the film was on that level.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
S4 of arrested is the funniest season on rewatches. Because the whole thing is bases on things building up for as long as possible

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nroo posted:

I should've stressed "borderline", I personally don't think it's funny or was intended to be. But for what it's worth the 2 times that opening scene was shown in highschool classes I was in, the bit from the video posted above drew some laughter each time. There's other bits in the scene that work as "jokes" with a set up and gory punch-line: Hanks dragging a guy for a while only to look back and he's now dragging nothing but a torso, and the bit with him turning to a radioman repeatedly until the third time he's missing his face. It's shocking and upsetting imagery meant to emphasize how random and cruel the violence is but the execution of it at points could also be set to Curb Your Enthusiasm music.

Meanwhile, I thought it was hilarious in Hacksaw Ridge when 2 minutes into the first battle some dude charges holding a legless corpse as a shield with one hand and firing a massive assault rifle with the other. I wish the rest of the film was on that level.

How in the blue gently caress is any of that funny? I have a pretty dark sense of humor and that doesn't even come close to comedy for me.

Jesus man.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

How in the blue gently caress is any of that funny? I have a pretty dark sense of humor and that doesn't even come close to comedy for me.

Jesus man.

...I said it wasn't funny? Only that certain violent parts were oddly done in ways that could be seen as a punchline and twice saw classmates laugh at them? It's an issue with SPR that I don't like and have a problem with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cgi blood clouds have not aged well.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mammal Sauce posted:

I remember reading that HBO series will start dropping off Prime shortly. Is there an actual date? I Googled it and only saw "fall" on a few sites. I decided to put the suggestions all of you gave me for series similar to Eastbound and Down on the back burner so I could watch The Wire before it leaves. I just finished the first season and want to make sure I can pace myself to finish it before it's gone.

May 2018

quote:

Richard Plepler, the network’s chairman and CEO, told investors today HBO has no plans to renew its output deal with Amazon Prime when it wraps up in May 2018.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/hbo-shows-amazon-prime-deal-ending-2018.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 25, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember people disliking Apocalypto, they just didn't see it. It got really good reviews, and everyone I knew that saw it said they loved it. Most people I knew avoided it because every press release or review talked about it being brutally violent and the goriest film ever, and that turned a lot of people off of it. I remember our history teacher saying everyone should go see it, I think even offering extra credit if we provided a ticket stub.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nroo posted:

The battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge were like if you took the already borderline macabre black comedy of the opening of Saving Private Ryan and exaggerated it to Sam Raimi splatstick levels.

Nroo posted:

...I said it wasn't funny? Only that certain violent parts were oddly done in ways that could be seen as a punchline and twice saw classmates laugh at them? It's an issue with SPR that I don't like and have a problem with.

You had some hosed up classmates broski.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard season 5 of AD is gonna be a murder mystery.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard season 5 of AD is gonna be a murder mystery.

Given the s4 cliffhanger, that seems likely.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You guys are acting like Saving Private Ryan is a war documentary. It's not some heinous crime for bored teenagers in class to gently caress around and laugh at it instead of giving a poo poo about the movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah for real; I can totally see the humor angle. You guys telling me you didn't laugh during the Braveheart battle scenes either? I haven't seen the movie recently so I'm not sure what I would think now, but high schoolers are some callous mofos.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

You should watch Irreversible, it's a laugh riot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Teenagers watching 12 Years a Slave: "Aw-w-w-w-w, she gonna get whooped!"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Laughter is a pretty normal coping mechanism when subjected to horrible scenes of (cinematic) violence. Depending on the person, there is a treshold where it turns into genuine humour.

vv this too

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 25, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

Jesus man.

It's absurd, it's guys running headlong into wave after wave of machine guns, it's patently ridiculous(and heroic, and one of the most important moments in world history, etc.). Those "jokes" are there to demonstrate the absurdity and complete randomness of war. It's not funny, but they're structured like jokes because there is a joke going on, and the joke is on humanity.

So immature high schoolers laugh at it because they think they're the only ones who get the joke, because they're so "edgy" or whatever. Really though, we all get the joke but once you have enough life experience you realize that Death could play the same joke on you at any time, and that's not so easy to laugh at. Tragedy is when I stub my toe, comedy is when you fall off a cliff, etc.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I watch Schindler's List and laugh my balls off.

"LOL that kid is in the toilet!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

enigmahfc posted:

I watch Schindler's List and laugh my balls off.

"LOL that kid is in the toilet!"

Spielberg does some of the same things in Schindler's List, so you're not far off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Cgi blood clouds have not aged well.

Does blood even really do that? Decades of television forensics tells me that blood splatters in a ballistic trajectory, it doesn't mist in place like red dust.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Basebf555 posted:

It's absurd, it's guys running headlong into wave after wave of machine guns, it's patently ridiculous(and heroic, and one of the most important moments in world history, etc.). Those "jokes" are there to demonstrate the absurdity and complete randomness of war. It's not funny, but they're structured like jokes because there is a joke going on, and the joke is on humanity.

So immature high schoolers laugh at it because they think they're the only ones who get the joke, because they're so "edgy" or whatever. Really though, we all get the joke but once you have enough life experience you realize that Death could play the same joke on you at any time, and that's not so easy to laugh at. Tragedy is when I stub my toe, comedy is when you fall off a cliff, etc.

Yeah it's ok to laugh at because dumb rear end teenagers "get it" ok dude.

:rolleyes:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah it's ok to laugh at because dumb rear end teenagers "get it" ok dude.

:rolleyes:

I'm not getting into an argument about what's "ok to laugh at". That you're trying to reduce the discussion to that shows a lack of reading comprehension.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The scene that sticks out for me is the guy wandering around looking for his arm. Yes, in context, the guy has shock and he is going through a horrible ideal. That doesn't really mean it's not absurd, and it's a short hop from absurd to comedy. Not to mention that comedic violence has become a staple of cinema.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Fake movie violence can be funny, since you know no one was actually hurt or killed. You can kind of smile in that shocked way, or go ewwwww, but it's just a movie. And you can appreciate the work that effects people did, especially if it elicited an honest reaction out of you.

Meanwhile watching people jump off the WTC, even set to Benny Hill music, is not funny past age 13 because you know that each one of those people had a life, family, dreams, aspirations, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

Fake movie violence can be funny, since you know no one was actually hurt or killed*.

*Unless you're in a John Landis film.