Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

lol writing a literal book about your rival school cheating is the saddest thing

Hmm...Ben isn't running the douche tourney this year :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
The Bag Man giveth, and the Bag Man taketh away.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
I would have gotten chuck tingle to do the cover but thats just me

https://twitter.com/ScoutSteveR/status/883520746005434373

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dalmuti posted:

I like how he colored outside the lines.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

apparently he exposed the fact that ole miss football exists in Vice City

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm a member of an Ole Miss Facebook group and there are tons of people who flat out refuse to believe that Freeze did any of this poo poo, and that we were set up by a cabal of Mississippi State, LSU and Bama fans, coaches, and players. Even though Freeze himself resigned, and admitted what he did to Ross Bjork. It's amazing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kudos to that guy for identifying to root of evil at Ole Miss, a picture of Brian Urlacher from Madden 2002.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm a member of an Ole Miss Facebook group and there are tons of people who flat out refuse to believe that Freeze did any of this poo poo, and that we were set up by a cabal of Mississippi State, LSU and Bama fans, coaches, and players. Even though Freeze himself resigned, and admitted what he did to Ross Bjork. It's amazing.

Ask them about collusion, and taking back America

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

pillsburysoldier posted:

Ask them about collusion, and taking back America

Oh, I've seen them explicitly compare the Freeze scandal(s) to the "fake news" about Russia.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Asproigerosis posted:

Hey you guys remember David Sills? The kid that committed to Kiffin at USC in 8th grade? For unrelated reasons I was reminded of rotten football factory high schools that put their program above everything and remembered this local poo poo show. Piece of poo poo dad hijacked the school's football program in order to showcase his son, forcing them to play national powerhouse teams and handing out scholarships to kids to support his son. After only 2 years the school had enough and kicked the rich dad out for ruining the school and its football program. So rich dad sills went and bought a fake school for his son to continue his world tour. Shockingly, this online course football school was never accredited by the state and folded last year. It's as if the only purpose of the school was to showcase his son and once he graduated he didn't give a gently caress.

Also he's a poo poo awful QB and now plays receiver at my WVU. Very WVU like to accept (twice!) a kid with a fake high school diploma bought by his rich dad.

When I was a reporter I covered one of Eastern Christian Academy's games with Sills. They barely beat a small AA school here.

But the dad was an rear end in a top hat and the entire coaching staff basically was there to coach Sills. There were a couple of good players on that Honey Badger (yes that was the mascot) roster but Sills definitely wasn't the QB prospect he was made out to be and that was in like 2012.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pandanaut posted:

When I was a reporter I covered one of Eastern Christian Academy's games with Sills. They barely beat a small AA school here.

But the dad was an rear end in a top hat and the entire coaching staff basically was there to coach Sills.

Was his rear end in a top hat dad the head coach or did all of the coaches just decide this kid was going to be great?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Grittybeard posted:

Was his rear end in a top hat dad the head coach or did all of the coaches just decide this kid was going to be great?

If I remember right, the dad basically built an all star lineup of coaches from that area. Sills specifically had his own QB coach, personal trainer, nutritionist and was allowed to call plays. The offensive coordinator was a glorified assistant to the high school quarterback.

I think SI or someone did an investigative piece to try and find just where they were practicing. Turned out it was some random empty lot where they were very quick to stop any media attention.

What was funny is they stepped off the bus and looked like an all star team. It was a very big deal they were coming to play this really small school in the middle of nowhere. We are talking a town of no more than 1,000 people and they're all lifers. It was expected to be a tune up, but they almost lost and I remember the dad was losing his drat mind in the stands.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine reading that book, with that cover, on a train

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That kind of guy, some idiot on the fringe who stumbles into two minutes of fame, is what I wanna see fiction or a TV show or something about college football centered on, not like a team or actual boosters and recruits and bagmen. A delusional guy who, through the inherent weirdness of this sport, accidentally turns out to be at the center of a scandal is a loving softball made for Danny McBride.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That kind of guy, some idiot on the fringe who stumbles into two minutes of fame, is what I wanna see fiction or a TV show or something about college football centered on, not like a team or actual boosters and recruits and bagmen. A delusional guy who, through the inherent weirdness of this sport, accidentally turns out to be at the center of a scandal is a loving softball made for Danny McBride.

hell, :same:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The B1G is allowing FCS games to be scheduled again, with the caveat being you can only schedule them if you have 4 conference home games.

I guess this is the balance for all the teams that don't get the luxury of playing Rutgers every year.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

lol writing a literal book about your rival school cheating is the saddest thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dalmuti posted:

Should we hire someone to do the cover?

nah, we can just do it in mspaint

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I nominate this guy

Well meaning idiot posted:

In 2012, Cicero was suspended for one year for violating the client-confidentiality trust by tipping off the then-football coach at Ohio State University, Jim Tressel, to a scandal involving his players in an email. The Columbus tattoo shop owner, Edward Rife, approached Cicero for legal advice regarding a federal investigation against Rife for drug trafficking. Cicero used the knowledge he obtained from Rife to turn around and tell Tressel that his players were selling and trading memorabilia to the shop owner in exchange for tattoos.

Dude ended up getting a bunch of death threats when he was trying to protect the program. He's now facing disbarment. He also was suspended for bragging about a sexual relationship with a judge that appointed him to represent a criminal client in a case that went before her.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Should we hire someone to do the cover?

nah, we can just do it in mspaint

Interestingly enough, internet outrage actually got Microsoft to save MSPaint

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spintzel posted:

Please let Chad Morris go to A&M. I need them to be bad. It fuels my life

I for one am looking forward to infinite 7-8 win seasons, be it under Kevin Sumlin, Chad Morris, or Larry Fedora.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

General Dog posted:

I for one am looking forward to infinite 7-8 win seasons, be it under Kevin Sumlin, Chad Morris, or Larry Fedora.

Better than Fran.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I love that LeBatard was the only one to flat out say "so Ole Miss is cheating right?" four loving years ago.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

swickles posted:

I love that LeBatard was the only one to flat out say "so Ole Miss is cheating right?" four loving years ago.

People just mad because Ole Miss wasn't supposed to get good at cheating.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Stunt Rock posted:

This literally is it too, which is hilarious. People just kinda accept that bigger programs probably do similar stuff in terms of recruiting but anytime a team that isn't supposed to good traditionally has succsss people freak out. College football fans hate underdogs for some reason

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Stunt Rock posted:

This is it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

This literally is it too, which is hilarious. People just kinda accept that bigger programs probably do similar stuff in terms of recruiting but anytime a team that isn't supposed to good traditionally has succsss people freak out. College football fans hate underdogs for some reason

"How dare this cupcake do well! They're supposed to be a pushover every year! They're totally cheating!"

So the long and short of it, I think people are fine with underdogs as long as the underdogs don't beat THEIR school.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Imagine having to look boosters in the face and say you lost a prized recruit to Ole miss

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

vyst posted:

Imagine having to look boosters in the face and say you lost a prized recruit to Ole miss

I just picture Phil Fulmer explaining how he got Peyton but not Eli.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

I just picture Phil Fulmer explaining how he got Peyton but not Eli.

In that case the shocking part was that Ole Miss didn't get Peyton given Archie's legacy there. And Eli playing at his dad's school for his brother's QB coach doesn't really seem suspicious

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Chad Morris is the architect of Clemson's offensive success, so it makes sense that people are still high on him even though he hasn't done much at SMU yet. I believe he was the lead recruiter for Deshaun Watson as well, so he should get a lot of credit for that natty despite no longer being there.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 25, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Chad Morris is a good coach, but it's hard to make a winner at SMU.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

RumbleFish posted:

Chad Morris is the architect of Clemson's offensive success, so it makes sense that people are still high on him even though he hasn't done much at SMU yet. I believe he was the lead recruiter for Deshaun Watson as well, so he should get a lot of credit for that natty despite no longer being there.

Sure, but that's why he got the SMU job and why that hire was universally praised. But lots of guys are great assistants and bad Head Coaches. Until he shows he's not one of those guys I don't get the rush to move him up another rung

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Chad Morris is a good coach, but it's hard to make a winner at SMU.

June Jones did it immediately prior to him. And it's hard to win in the SEC West too. If he can't win at SMU why would you think he could compete in a division with Alabama?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 25, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MourningView posted:

In that case the shocking part was that Ole Miss didn't get Peyton given Archie's legacy there. And Eli playing at his dad's school for his brother's QB coach doesn't really seem suspicious

The point is the optics. Sure it makes sense if you actually research it, but boosters and alumni aren't the types to appreciate nuance. So after getting Peyton, I imagine explaining why you couldn't get Eli was more than an uphill battle for Fulmer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swickles posted:

The point is the optics. Sure it makes sense if you actually research it, but boosters and alumni aren't the types to appreciate nuance. So after getting Peyton, I imagine explaining why you couldn't get Eli was more than an uphill battle for Fulmer.

I guess? I don't remember anyone being remotely surprised Ole Miss and Cutcliff got Eli. It wasn't like when they got Tunsil and all those other guys out of nowhere at all

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm sad that Joey Julius isn't going to be the greatest tackling kicker in the history of the sport, but his reasons for leaving are unquestionable.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Chad Morris is a good coach, but it's hard to make a winner at SMU

Counterpoint: Eric Dickerson

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spintzel posted:

Counterpoint: Eric Dickerson

OK: it's hard to make a winner at SMU without cheating like nobodies business.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
The Pontiac Trans A&M thing from Pony Express is one of my favorite college football things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

all-Rush mixtape posted:

OK: it's hard to make a winner at SMU without cheating like nobodies business.

Uhm excuse me that sports car was bought by his family

• Locked thread