Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

So, how did Jeremy Corbyn's unexpected success happen then? Surely if there were a massive social media conspiracy to suppress (presumably leftist) votes, Theresa May would have won overwhelmingly.

If you want to claim that the right is fixing elections, any left victory disproves that.

From what I understand, CA worked on Brexit and '16. I haven't heard anything about them working on May's snap election. I wouldn't even say that dark advertising is "fixing" elections, it's just another hard-to-trace mechanism for influence that may get more popular over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

WampaLord posted:

So how did they manage to spend money to push Brexit and voter suppression through social media?

Dark money on behalf of Brexit was probably channeled through the DUP: https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/peter-geoghegan-adam-ramsay/you-aren-t-allowed-to-know-who-paid-for-key-leave-campaign-adverts

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I think he means Cambridge Analytica and their dark advertising/voter suppression campaign on Facebook. They also worked with the Brexit side.

Basically, they conduct "innocent-looking" online quizzes, mine them for data, build voter profiles based on that data and then send dark ads to those users specifically. One example is when they were able to figure out which facebook posters were black and undereducated and repeatedly sent them (and only them) ads referencing Clinton's "superpredator" remarks. This may have caused lower turnout for Clinton on Nov. 8th amongst poorer, black voters.

Maybe Clinton shouldn't have said the racist comment in the first place?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

JFairfax posted:

it's called a farm

A farm is more of a work camp. A zoo is closer to jail, IMO.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

fallenturtle posted:

A farm is more of a work camp. A zoo is closer to jail, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2PLHk4IXqE

Monkey borstal

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Pewdiepie has gently caress you money at this point and doesnt care anymore if they call him alt-right

Has Pewdiepie expressed any alt-right opinions other than wanting to make offensive jokes?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Has Pewdiepie expressed any alt-right opinions other than wanting to make offensive jokes?

"Death to all Jews" is a pretty alt-right opinion, and I don't accept his "It's just a joke, bro!" defense.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

MiddleOne posted:

Youtube incrementally starts filtering out channels you are subscribed to but never watch from your feed so not many I'd venture.

I've never subscribed to a channel because youtube throws all that stuff onto my YT home page based on what I've been watching.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

WampaLord posted:

"Death to all Jews" is a pretty alt-right opinion, and I don't accept his "It's just a joke, bro!" defense.

I accept it. I've watched the video and its total edgelord poo poo. I don't think he's anti-semetic, the presentation and his reaction reads "prank" and not "I secretly hate the Jews."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

I accept it. I've watched the video and its total edgelord poo poo. I don't think he's anti-semetic, the presentation and his reaction reads "prank" and not "I secretly hate the Jews."

Jokes can be anti-Semitic.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

There's a million other things he could have put there to be "edgy" without specifically calling for death to all Jews. I calls em like I sees em.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay, you are right, but pretend I said "appealing" instead of "true". Your false dichotomy is still ridiculous to me - obviously appeals to emotions and fears and all that are powerful and dangerous and all that, but that doesn't mean the only options are to wither and die to the unfettered spread of white supremacy or prevent white supremacists from posting on mainstream video platforms entirely. I think the former is overstated and engaging the public sphere on the same level(ala chapo) is the actual deterrent that blocking them from youtube, adding to their put-upon narrative while handing the reins to tech giants, will never be.

I think I used the word "appealing" specifically. There are two problems with this counter-argument:

1) I think leftists narratives are often at a serious disadvantage to right-wing ones because they require some greater level of intelligence/diligence to understand. Right-wing arguments have been around for centuries simply because they're so much easier to consume. They're like the entropy of thinking. I don't think Chapo is enough of a counterweight.

2) We've already handed the reins to tech giants. There are no serious alternatives to Facebook, Youtube and Twitter. The only thing we can do is fight it out in the space they've created and one way to do that is to enforce basic community guidelines (no calls for violence, racial slurs, etc). Community guidelines keep communities alive and functioning and actually allow "the discourse" to function more or less as intended (see SA).

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

Lindsey Ellis talks at length about edgy humor in relation to Mel Brooks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

There are a few takeaways: humor has a point and a target. It carries its own meaning beyond being humor. Jokes meant to denigrate or re-enforce stereotypes actually denigrate and re-enforce stereotypes.

Also, these days it's really easy to just hide behind the idea that "it's just jokes, chill man" while calling for actual, full-throated genocide. This is the "black-friend" defence on steroids.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How is "Gas the Jews" supposed to be funny, anyway. Explain exactly what makes it hilarious to you, fallenturtle.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

Jokes can be anti-Semitic.

Yes. Doesn't always mean the person is actually anti-Semitic.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

Maybe Clinton shouldn't have said the racist comment in the first place?

Probably not, but there are problems with the "if you've done nothing wrong, why worry" argument.

1) Clinton recanted and apologized for using those words, but I'm sure that bit never made it into the CA ad: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/aug/28/reince-priebus/did-hillary-clinton-call-african-american-youth-su/

2) These are dark ads. They are targeted at specific groups and not seen by the general public. This doesn't give the person being smeared or misrepresented a chance to respond or even understand that an attack has been levelled against them. It's more difficult to hold advertising to account for truthfulness or accuracy if you don't even know advertising is taking place.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

fallenturtle posted:

We can't know their inner life, we can only know their words and actions, which are anti-semitic.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

True, but once you've told enough anti-Semitic, racist and sexist "jokes", a pattern about your character begins to emerge. This is like the induction problem: how many racist jokes are required to generalize about your character? These days: not loving many.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Who What Now posted:

How is "Gas the Jews" supposed to be funny, anyway. Explain exactly what makes it hilarious to you, fallenturtle.
The only reason he was dropped from Disney is because Walt still owns copyright on the phrase.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Ah, the "If he wasn't actually killing Jews while yelling 'I am killing you because you are Jewish and I loving hate Jews,' then it's okay!" defense.

You're right, I cannot peer into Felix's heart and determine if he actually hates Jewish people. I can only look at his actions, which have shown hatred for Jews and inspired others to express their own hatred of Jews and determine that it's loving unacceptable.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

fallenturtle posted:

People are anti-Semitic when they do anti-Semitic things. Like tell anti-Semitic jokes

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

Ah, the "If he wasn't actually killing Jews while yelling 'I am killing you because you are Jewish and I loving hate Jews,' then it's okay!" defense.

You're right, I cannot peer into Felix's heart and determine if he actually hates Jewish people. I can only look at his actions, which have shown hatred for Jews and inspired others to express their own hatred of Jews and determine that it's loving unacceptable.

But that's unfair! You're judging him for the things he does and says, guess you don't like free speech after all? :smug:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Interweb posted:

Here's an interesting article from the AV Club about South Park's role in creating the alt-right:

http://www.avclub.com/article/south-park-raised-generation-trolls-258253

I watched south park from the start and i'm not alt-right

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

What would you call someone who tells a lot of jokes like "What do you call three dead niggers? A good start!"

Because I'd call that person a racist.

And by extension, someone who tells anti-Semitic jokes would be...?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

WampaLord posted:

There's a million other things he could have put there to be "edgy" without specifically calling for death to all Jews. I calls em like I sees em.

Sure there are, but he went with that one. Does it matter? If he made a joke about rape, people would accuse him of being pro-rape. If the joke was racist he'd be accused of being racist.

I'm calling it like I see it too. I think he's guilty of being foolish and insensitive.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fallenturtle posted:

there was literally an infinite number of things he could have had written on that sign other than 'death do all jews' lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Sure there are, but he went with that one. Does it matter?

YES

Yes, it loving matters. How could it not?

Do you not get that calling for genocide of a people is bad?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Lindsey Ellis talks at length about edgy humor in relation to Mel Brooks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cPPSyoQkE

There are a few takeaways: humor has a point and a target. It carries its own meaning beyond being humor. Jokes meant to denigrate or re-enforce stereotypes actually denigrate and re-enforce stereotypes.

Also, these days it's really easy to just hide behind the idea that "it's just jokes, chill man" while calling for actual, full-throated genocide. This is the "black-friend" defence on steroids.

That's a good video, I watched it a few weeks ago.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

Sure there are, but he went with that one. Does it matter? If he made a joke about rape, people would accuse him of being pro-rape.

Have you not seen his videos? They are pretty much nothing but rape jokes. And he was rightfully called out on them until he stopped doing them (for a time).

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

What are you talking about? When did I say I find these jokes funny, Who What Now?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
lindsay ellis is a voice of reason in a sea of madness, yes

and as such, im genuinely surprised she hasn't been driven off the internet. is she just used to all the abuse, as an internet veteran, or is there something she does differently?

fallenturtle posted:

What are you talking about? When did I say I find these jokes funny, Who What Now?
ah yes, a joke that isn't funny, and is also incredibly anti-semetic and just happens to align with an incredibly popular & lucrative political movement.
:thunk:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

fallenturtle posted:

Here watch this relevant video by the best goon ever rise to a position of some prominence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjNILjFters

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

Sure there are, but he went with that one. Does it matter? If he made a joke about rape, people would accuse him of being pro-rape. If the joke was racist he'd be accused of being racist.

I'm calling it like I see it too. I think he's guilty of being foolish and insensitive.

If you want nuance, you could say that at best he is an white supremacist enabler, even if he isn't himself a white supremacist. Enablers generally contribute to a cause without perhaps believing in it wholeheartedly. Lots of British historians in the 50's whitewashed Stalin without really understanding or believing in all of his policies. They were enablers. Many of them were also honest enough to leave the communist party after the 1956 invasion, but I doubt PDP is anywhere near that intellectually competent.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I go to bat for Nazis not because I agree with them you guys

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Kjoery posted:

lindsay ellis is a voice of reason in a sea of madness, yes

She has a Patreon and I give her money. We should all give her some if we think her content matters. :)

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

WampaLord posted:

YES

Yes, it loving matters. How could it not?
Because I think what he was going for was not that he specifically wanted to say something anti-Semitic but that he wanted to say something that he thought was funny because of it being outrageously shocking. Admittedly I haven't watched more than a few of videos (and most were related to this event), but has he said anti-Semitic things in passing and not in jest?

quote:

Do you not get that calling for genocide of a people is bad?

Of course... but I weigh statements differently based on whether or not they are a comment or a tasteless joke.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I think I used the word "appealing" specifically. There are two problems with this counter-argument:

1) I think leftists narratives are often at a serious disadvantage to right-wing ones because they require some greater level of intelligence/diligence to understand. Right-wing arguments have been around for centuries simply because they're so much easier to consume. They're like the entropy of thinking. I don't think Chapo is enough of a counterweight.

It has more to do with lefty causes almost always having the requirement of self-indictment. Every last left leaning position comes with some form of either societal status-quo indictment or personal self-indictment. I'm not railing against this, it is necessary for true societal/personal health, but think about how hard that is to sell vs right-wing boilerplating.

Infinitely harder, especially in a capitalist system that worships at the altar of Self.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

fallenturtle posted:

You said it's clearly a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny. Explain why it's funny.

fallenturtle posted:

Because I think what he was going for was not that he specifically wanted to say something anti-Semitic but that he wanted to say something that he thought was funny because of it being outrageously shocking. Admittedly I haven't watched more than a few of videos (and most were related to this event), but has he said anti-Semitic things in passing and not in jest?

Of course... but I weigh statements differently based on whether or not they are a comment or a tasteless joke.

Why can't people who tell jokes be bigots?

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

Have you not seen his videos? They are pretty much nothing but rape jokes. And he was rightfully called out on them until he stopped doing them (for a time).

Pewdiepie's? No, I haven't seen his rape joke videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fallenturtle posted:

Because I think what he was going for was not that he specifically wanted to say something anti-Semitic but that he wanted to say something that he thought was funny because of it being outrageously shocking.

And again, there's a million other "outrageously shocking" things he could say that don't call for genocide.

How about "Fiverr is a scam company filled with sheep fuckers?" since the whole point of the "prank" was to show that Fiverr is bad, right?

fallenturtle posted:

It doesn't matter. If you make racist jokes, that's bad, full stop.

• Locked thread