Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Last time they press released this, it didn't happen. I still hold out hope that this is truly Adobe screaming "THE END IS NEIGH"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Now post the announcement for Java... :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This will be a day long remembered....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Now post the announcement for Java... :colbert:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/02/good-riddance-to-oracles-java-plugin/

Well they did at least announce the plugin was going away...

Firefox, Chrome, and Safari have already removed support for the plugin. And Edge never had it.

Java itself though, it's going to be a long time before it goes away unfortunately.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

stevewm posted:

Java itself though, it's going to be a long time before it goes away unfortunately.

All that people have to do is to make something better (for the server) and Java will go away. So far nobody has, but the future is open.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

2.5 years can't pass fast enough.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

xzzy posted:

2.5 years can't pass fast enough.

I removed Flash from all company computers 2 years ago when I switched everyone to Chrome Enterprise. Seeing as Chrome came with it built in.

Chrome then started disabling Flash by default a few versions ago. It has generated at most 3-4 tickets. No one really seems to have noticed it was missing.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

stevewm posted:

I removed Flash from all company computers 2 years ago when I switched everyone to Chrome Enterprise. Seeing as Chrome came with it built in.

Chrome then started disabling Flash by default a few versions ago. It has generated at most 3-4 tickets. No one really seems to have noticed it was missing.

I'm pretty jealous that you don't have to support a lovely on-prem-turned-cloud-hosted applet that demands IE, flash, and java.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm pretty jealous that you don't have to support a lovely on-prem-turned-cloud-hosted applet that demands IE, flash, and java.

Kronos. :argh:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm pretty jealous that you don't have to support a lovely on-prem-turned-butt-hosted applet that demands IE, flash, and java.

Lucky to have management that asks for IT's input before making purchasing decisions. We have successfully turned them away from 1 or 2 products using outdated poo poo like Java/Flash.
-
And also some rental software that was built on top of MS Access.... (shudder)...

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

My current contracting gig is "Rebuild our flash based flagship product in JS"

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gounads posted:

My current contracting gig is "Rebuild our flash based flagship product in JS"

:negative: out of the frying pan into the fire

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FML. Second week of being full time exempt and the person hired two weeks ago to do ERP administration and support gets fired. Leaving me to do a significant chunk of it. Less than half an hour later my PM asks me if I can get a new report to him by the end of Friday. I was under the impression someone else was doing that report already, I haven't gotten any request or requirements for the report, and I haven't updated the reports I do have done because I have been in training the past day and a half.

I told him no. I'm not pulling a 60 hour week to maybe get it done when he never even told me I was supposed to do it until four days before it needs to be done.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a rule that when replacing two UPS batteries one won't come out? Raised a bit of a sweat before it finally decided to emerge.

These were two 50 lb. APC batteries. Based on my years of gym experience I was at least able to do all of this without hurting myself but I'm not built for this sort of thing. I had to laugh at how the boxes were plastered with TEAM LIFT stickers. Yeah, let me get my team together to help me with this.

The third battery just arrived so I figured "why not" and swapped out the one from the primary unit. Estimated runtime has gone from 18 minutes to 1h:41m... :stonklol:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MF_James posted:

It was all a ruse. There are 2 potential outcomes:

1) You're going to wake up in a bathtub full of ice.
2) This is actually a dream.

Welp it turned out to be Option 3. They are all loving retards.

"Installer" shows up and refuses to do anything because a line needs run first.... Tells US to call the installation department and arrange that, then leaves. Isn't that what the "installer" is supposed to do?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

stevewm posted:

Welp it turned out to be Option 3. They are all loving retards.

"Installer" shows up and refuses to do anything because a line needs run first.... Tells US to call the installation department and arrange that, then leaves. Isn't that what the "installer" is supposed to do?

Waste your time.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off:

In a moment of panic, I logged into a couple of Windows Server 2012 R2 servers that run a few web sites of mine and after what seemed like forever I was able to remember my passwords to them. Turns out it had been two years and one week since I'd last rebooted them. Or patched them. A couple hundred thousand hits over two years and they've been rock solid and un-compromised.

I suppose it's time to patch them and reboot them, eh? :D

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Agrikk posted:

poo poo not pissing me off:

In a moment of panic, I logged into a couple of Windows Server 2012 R2 servers that run a few web sites of mine and after what seemed like forever I was able to remember my passwords to them. Turns out it had been two years and one week since I'd last rebooted them. Or patched them. A couple hundred thousand hits over two years and they've been rock solid and un-compromised.

I suppose it's time to patch them and reboot them, eh? :D

With MS' record on screwed up patches these past 2 years, I would tread lightly.

Install a few at a time, reboot, repeat.

I've been burned so many times since Microsoft made end users the Q/A department.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off:

Brand new Dell R530 server.

Installed Ubuntu 16.04 with a UI to hopefully show our windows guys they aren't that scary. The UI performance was abysmally bad. Do a little more research, embedded video controller is a Matrox G200. This is a 19 year old video chip.

What the gently caress did I just give dell $7,000 for.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Installed Ubuntu 16.04 with a UI to hopefully show our windows guys they aren't that scary. The UI performance was abysmally bad. Do a little more research, embedded video controller is a Matrox G200. This is a 19 year old video chip.

Wait, that can't be right? Is it?

Well, according to the dell website it is. Amazing.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Over the past 19 years the industry has decided that general-purpose rackmount servers don't need hardware video acceleration. And, they're right.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Over the past 19 years the industry has decided that general-purpose rackmount servers don't need hardware video acceleration. And, they're right.

While I agree with your point, it seems really odd to me that the video on these servers hasnt changed at all in 20 years.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The video chip needs to be able to output to iDRAC so it's pretty basic.

Install VMware on it, run your Linux GUI inside that.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

This is a 19 year old video chip.

The real question is, AGP or PCI?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

They figure most servers will run headless, so why bother with a decent video chip?

But anyways even for the most basic use its horrible. The old T620s we have also use the same chip. It can barely handle Windows at 1027x768x16. RDP is 1000x faster than local video.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

While I agree with your point, it seems really odd to me that the video on these servers hasnt changed at all in 20 years.
You might be shocked to learn about all the other equipment in a modern server that hasn't changed in 20 years.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

You might be shocked to learn about all the other equipment in a modern server that hasn't changed in 20 years.

I would be, please tell me!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

You don't want to teach them Linux server poo poo with a UI anyway. If they're that afraid of the CLI they're not long for even the Windows world.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

Your computer has an ISA bus. There might not be any exposed ISA slots, but it's there.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I would be, please tell me!
The easiest one is going to be the CMOS, but you can get absurdly reductive and say components like the transistor or the button battery.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

Your computer has an ISA bus. There might not be any exposed ISA slots, but it's there.
The easiest one is going to be the CMOS, but you can get absurdly reductive and say components like the transistor or the button battery.

Oh :( I was hoping it was like, major components that _just worked_ so they never changed them because it doesn't affect performance in a negative fashion. Resistors and circuit tracing doesn't count!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DigitalMocking posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Hah. They're still using those. I installed Linux on some server we took out of service back in 2009 and plugged a monitor in and was like 'loving christ why is there no video acceleration' and it had a G200 in it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

stevewm posted:

They figure most servers will run headless, so why bother with a decent video chip?

But anyways even for the most basic use its horrible. The old T620s we have also use the same chip. It can barely handle Windows at 1027x768x16. RDP is 1000x faster than local video.

Understand, there's nothing wrong with the G200 in terms of performance for a UI, except no distro has drivers for it any longer.

When I say abysmal, I'm not kidding. Just typing your password at the login screen took more than 20 seconds for the dots to echo back to the screen. God forbid you try to open a window.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who the gently caress is responsible for deciding websites with articles on should scroll slowly for you?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volguus posted:

All that people have to do is to make something better (for the server) and Java will go away. So far nobody has, but the future is open.

Just like COBOL right?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
oof

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Volmarias posted:

Just like COBOL right?

Just like mainframes, right?

etc etc :v:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

sfwarlock posted:

ISA

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

MCA :getin:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

SS-30 :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

Who the gently caress is responsible for deciding websites with articles on should scroll slowly for you?

Same people who think that the page width should be locked to an aspect ration designed for mobile phones in portrait mode.