Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoSAprKVoQg

Still alpha version. Need to fix things like the gamma curve of the LEDs, calibrate the temperature sensors, change the industrial design of the faceplate in a couple of ways, work on the UX, fix some bugs with the odometer storage -- basically a lot of little software things here and there.

But it fuckin' works :woop: :wooper: :woop:

:shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

No doubt. Be prepared to dodge the moneybags shot out of artillery cannons, this project is legit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You probably won't lose much if any power with the more restrictive baffle.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I thought going from 48mm to 30mm would be a drastic step, but you are correct in that it still feels about as fast. The intake sound is MUCH more prominent, though. :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo that is awesome!!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

The theme from Knight Rider started playing in my head watching that - kick rear end

Wrong theme, yo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ragUeIkKA

PS Sage that's awesome

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Sagebrush posted:

Still alpha version. Need to fix things like the gamma curve of the LEDs, calibrate the temperature sensors, change the industrial design of the faceplate in a couple of ways, work on the UX, fix some bugs with the odometer storage -- basically a lot of little software things here and there.

:eyepop:

Wow that's coming out beautifully!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Just wanna add to the longest jerk off train by saying that is mega rad

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New tank and shroud graphix cuz I shredded the old ones with a year of racing in knee braces.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'm gonna sell my '17 SV and buy an old 80s bike. :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Odette posted:

I'm gonna sell my '17 SV and buy an old 80s bike. :v:

Don't.

You'll drive up the value.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Don't.

You'll drive up the value.

Of both vehicles?

This sounds weirdly familiar to that joke about NZers moving to Australia raising the IQ of both countries ...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Holy gently caress dude. I love this.

And here I was jazzed about these I'm putting in the beater: http://zada-tech.com/products/single-gauges/oled-digital-single-oil-pressure-gauge

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

opengl128 posted:

Holy gently caress dude. I love this.

And here I was jazzed about these I'm putting in the beater: http://zada-tech.com/products/single-gauges/oled-digital-single-oil-pressure-gauge

goddammit i could be making a killing on these things

70 pounds for that OLED oil pressure gauge??? that module is like $3.50 on AliExpress and I could write the code in an afternoon

hmmmmmm

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I could write the code in an afternoon

Where can I learn this :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

M42 posted:

Where can I learn this :allears:
http://arduino.cc/

:10bux: says those oil pressure sensors are just the pressure sensor, display, some power circuitry and an ATTiny microcontroller.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

goddammit i could be making a killing on these things

70 pounds for that OLED oil pressure gauge??? that module is like $3.50 on AliExpress and I could write the code in an afternoon

hmmmmmm

Yeah, gauges always sell at a massive markup. Someone with the ability to write good code for them and barf out cheap parts from china could make a killing on the huge margins.

Also, most Chinese gauges have bare minimum of functionality. Just exposing some of the data and allowing even basic customization would essentially let you corner the market.

Take the trailtech vapor. They sell a billion of them, everyone recommends them and they are recognized as being good ™. Have you ever used one? They are gaaaaaaarbage.

A minimum of effort on a gauges software would blow people's minds.

And, if you undercut the others (koso, etc) on price and make due with large margins rather than huge margins, you'd have it sewn up. The more I think about it, the more I realize the gauge market is dominated by expensive junk, it's ripe to be exploited by someone who can code and undercut the markets pricing.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 26, 2017

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah my Koso tach/oil temp gauge was $120 and it's also pretty ugly with how tall it is.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Chris Knight posted:

Wrong theme, yo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ragUeIkKA

PS Sage that's awesome

Pick up a smoke machine, I'll go rent the bitchin' camera and bring my slider and lights for a kickin' rad reveal/kickstarter video

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, gauges always sell at a massive markup. Someone with the ability to write good code for them and barf out cheap parts from china could make a killing on the huge margins.

Also, most Chinese gauges have bare minimum of functionality. Just exposing some of the data and allowing even basic customization would essentially let you corner the market.

Take the trailtech vapor. They sell a billion of them, everyone recommends them and they are recognized as being good ™. Have you ever used one? They are gaaaaaaarbage.

A minimum of effort on a gauges software would blow people's minds.

And, if you undercut the others (koso, etc) on price and make due with large margins rather than huge margins, you'd have it sewn up. The more I think about it, the more I realize the gauge market is dominated by expensive junk, it's ripe to be exploited by someone who can code and undercut the markets pricing.

What sucks about the trail tech? I was considering one as an "eventually" for when I wrap up my sumo conversion.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Revvik posted:

What sucks about the trail tech? I was considering one as an "eventually" for when I wrap up my sumo conversion.

they work fine more or less but the construction looks and feels cheap and lovely

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Revvik posted:

They feel cheap. They are tiny. The construction does not say "$120 piece of electronics"

They are also flaky as poo poo. The tach bounces all over. The temps are a best guess, etc

They aren't terrible per-se, but someone who can write code and assemble electronics could blow them right out of the water with very little effort.

Most every gauge out there these days is the lowest common denominator of hardware and software sold at the absolute highest price that the market will bear.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I hate the vapor for all reasons mentioned. Their voyager model looks pretty nice though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Voyager does look pretty neato. If all a person needed was tthe speedo, couldn't one of those bicycle magnetic speedo's do the job? They seem pretty well made by now.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We used a vapor on one of our race bikes, seemed fine. But then all we cared about was the tach and maybe a shift light. I thought it was quite cool that you could run it on 4 - 400V AC or DC.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

The Voyager does look pretty neato. If all a person needed was tthe speedo, couldn't one of those bicycle magnetic speedo's do the job? They seem pretty well made by now.

Girly's husqvarna literally has one of those. From factory. I got a genuine replacement and the instructions were all to do with calibrating it for pushbike wheel sizes.

Also I've got a trailtech endurance on my KTM and it was cheap and does the job good enough. No tacho but wtf do I need that for on a thumper anyway.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 27, 2017

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Trailtech is the OEM for the 701 display as well.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Radiator fan on my Vstrom isn't working. Getting too hot at stop lights, no fan sound and didn't witness it moving when I checked. The fan will turn on if you short the connectors, so I think its the sensor that isn't working. Ordered a new one, hopefully it's not poo poo because it isn't OEM, and it's about 1/4 the price.

Edit: oh and one of the wires from the r/r to the stator was fried. No wonder I'm having charging issues. Tested the stator, seemed good. Got about 85-90v between each lead.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 27, 2017

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Went with an integrated brake & turn signals, I'll miss the red LED Z pattern but this looks way slicker. It has some cool modes like an initial brake flash, sequential amber signals.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Schroeder91 posted:

Radiator fan on my Vstrom isn't working. Getting too hot at stop lights, no fan sound and didn't witness it moving when I checked. The fan will turn on if you short the connectors, so I think its the sensor that isn't working. Ordered a new one, hopefully it's not poo poo because it isn't OEM, and it's about 1/4 the price.

Edit: oh and one of the wires from the r/r to the stator was fried. No wonder I'm having charging issues. Tested the stator, seemed good. Got about 85-90v between each lead.

When you get the chance pull the Stator and check the windings/connections. Also put the leads on the battery and rev it up to about 5k or 5.5k while watching the voltage. See if the voltage winds up with the RPMs(should stabilize and stay near 13.5/14 IIRC but you'll have to check.), it's a sign the R/R is fried. (The R/R being fried a a common problem)

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Skreemer posted:

When you get the chance pull the Stator and check the windings/connections. Also put the leads on the battery and rev it up to about 5k or 5.5k while watching the voltage. See if the voltage winds up with the RPMs(should stabilize and stay near 13.5/14 IIRC but you'll have to check.), it's a sign the R/R is fried. (The R/R being fried a a common problem)

I have a voltage meter on the bike and while riding the best I've ever seen is 13.7, like twice. Not as rare but still very uncommon is 13.3. Majority of the time it's around 12.8 while riding, 11.8-12.4 while idling. All the leads between the stator wires were around 85-90v, I believe they need to be over 70 to be good. I'm not sure if the r/r has issues, but there's literally a fried wire. Here's some pics of the toasted wire. A dude on the Stromtrooper forums said someone used too small of wire. PO fuckery per usual. I might try putting a higher (lower?) gauge wire before I order a whole new r/r.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Skreemer posted:

I wouldn't recommend going back with a stock R/R if yours is the old diode based unit. Mosfet is sooooo much more reliable. This guy resells good, non counterfeit units: http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm and even though it's 1990s web has some pretty good info on motorcycle charging for the curious or novice.

Those old diode units are heat mongers by design and lead to melty stator wires and burned out stators, even batteries getting turned into 'splody mush.

You can also source one off a newer GSXR or really any bike that has a newer mosfet unit.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Fixed a leaking coolant hose from the head under the throttle bodies. Ugh. The old oring was dust. Flushed the radiator, disgusting. Fresh coolant and good to go. Now to order a new r/r.

Mark David Chapman
Jul 25, 2011
I took my carburetor off to fix a stuck float. As I was putting the bike back together I found a crack in my subframe :(

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Yay electrical problems. My horn apparently has decided it wants to voice its displeasure about rough roads on its own, and is beeping every time I jostle the suspension- even compressing it in my driveway is enough to get it to beep. The horn is good (so is the brand new replacement I got, hoping that would solve it), and the button and fuse seem ok, just a short or something somewhere in the wiring. I think I'm going to have to re-wire it... dammit.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

Yay electrical problems. My horn apparently has decided it wants to voice its displeasure about rough roads on its own, and is beeping every time I jostle the suspension- even compressing it in my driveway is enough to get it to beep. The horn is good (so is the brand new replacement I got, hoping that would solve it), and the button and fuse seem ok, just a short or something somewhere in the wiring. I think I'm going to have to re-wire it... dammit.

is the horn on a relay from the factory? if so, replace it before you go about rewiring everything

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I just went 11 days since my last crash. And 18 days since the crash before that.

I'm going to try and ride to work tomorrow. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

I just went 11 days since my last crash. And 18 days since the crash before that.

I'm going to try and ride to work tomorrow. :ohdear:

You need to weld a roll cage around your biek