Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

XP with the classic theme. Different font.

E: Could be Vista.

Worse. It's epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey there broken ankle buddies. Actually not a huge problem but you will have added titanium for a while... or in my case for good. You can forget about running for a long while too.

Good news is that you wont be out for long after surgery and the cast will be light. I was under for a hour and got a half cast. Also you will most likely be able to start putting weight on it fairly quickly.

And I know exactly how much that hurt. I didnt sleep for a week
When did you break an angle?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
hey what was the name of that crazy rear end game where you attempt to wrench on a car and have to go to town for beer and its nearly impossible.?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

hey what was the name of that crazy rear end game where you attempt to wrench on a car and have to go to town for beer and its nearly impossible.?

My Summer Car?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Summer Car?

Yeah
http://store.steampowered.com/app/516750/My_Summer_Car/

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ilkhan posted:

You're trying to be acute, but you just sound obtuse

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

IOwnCalculus posted:

My Summer Car?

yes!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

For a moment there I'm like.... did I really make that typo?

Turns out No I didn't for once :D

(28 years ago, still got the titanium or whatever they made the plate / screws and ball from. I got king hit in a rugby tackle by a Kiwi that twisted the ankle in the wrong direction and ummmm.... yeah I still cringe remembering how goddamn much it hurt)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Finally. It's dark now though so I can't get a good look at it tomorrow. It's hilarious how low tech it feels vs. the Honda.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KakerMix posted:

Finally. It's dark now though so I can't get a good look at it tomorrow. It's hilarious how low tech it feels vs. the Honda.

This excites me in ways I was unaware a car could.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is that two driveways or a sidewalk?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Is that two driveways or a sidewalk?

It's a church parking lot at the end of our road. We live at the end of a dead-end so I had the delivery driver just pull through the parking lot. Large, well-lit and he can pull through instead of having to back out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

scuz posted:

Some other dude on roller skates kicked me into another dude and my ankle twisted such that part of it broke. Roller derby! :confuoot:

Footage is gone but it had been live-streamed to facebook live and now it's gone. Oh well.

edit: Here's a photo of when it happened. Red box is the ankle that broke, green box is yours truly yelling "stop stop stop it's broken" spoilered cuz it's a bit macabre.

No offense, but roller derby is kind of a dumb sport to participate in unless you can afford getting injured. My wife got out of it after three girls on her team broke ankles a few weeks apart. Not worth it, ankles and wrists are always the first thing to go.

Hope you heal up quick, good luck.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
One of our librarians is on a roller hockey team and she's p cool. Her name is librawlian. Get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Roller Derby girls can be kind of insufferable. We've gone to watch three times and they just keep bringing up how it's the fastest growing sport in America over and over again.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The only people I know who roller derby were the lesbians I used to work with. They'd do softball in the summer and derby + hockey in the winter

Man I miss being the only SWM in my department it was way more fun and interesting back then

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Roller Derby girls can be kind of insufferable. We've gone to watch three times and they just keep bringing up how it's the fastest growing sport in America over and over again.

The guys that hang around them are even worse, like roller derby groupies, but more awkward and creepy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

you guys realize your dunking on a posters hobby rn right

Just because the big boobied derby girl turned u down doesn't mean u need to be bitter about it ok?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Just because the big boobied derby girl turned u down doesn't mean u need to be bitter about it ok?

Dude pretty much ended his hobby. Fair game bro.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to tow my boat up to the lake (110 miles away and 5000ft up) this weekend. This will be the first big ask of my beater truck. I will definitely be the person you share the road with but hopefully not be generating horrible mechanical content.

angryrobots posted:

I had the same reaction as the pink haired lady

Oh, snap!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I shitpost on Derby forums about how lame car guys are.

PS stay safe ankle goon

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Just pointing out the downfalls (pun not intended) of his hobby although he's well aware of it now I suppose.

Also my big booby wife never turns me down :smug:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Gah why is solar so full of bullshit and confusion.

Two quotes- One quote for $11k, Uses 36 x 270w panels for a total panel output of 9.7kw, Uses a single 8.2Kw inverter

Second quote- $13.5K, uses 38 x 275w panels for a total panel output of 10.4kw. Runs dual 5.0kw inverters.

You think I can get a straight answer on whether the 8.2kw inverter is going to limit the output of the whole systems to below what the panels are good for?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ferremit posted:

Two quotes- One quote for $11k, Uses 36 x 270w panels for a total panel output of 9.7kw, Uses a single 8.2Kw inverter

Second quote- $13.5K, uses 38 x 275w panels for a total panel output of 10.4kw. Runs dual 5.0kw inverters.

You think I can get a straight answer on whether the 8.2kw inverter is going to limit the output of the whole systems to below what the panels are good for?

I'm not sure how the inverter ratings work, so I can't answer your question, but I can say that here in the sunny land of Arizona it's been my experience watching the output of my solar system that the times you will get above 8.2Kw on a 9.7Kw system might be on the order of a couple of hours, a few days per year, and capping the output at 8.2Kw would have a fairly insignificant impact on the overall output of the system over a year.

I have a 6.0Kw system and it's somewhat rare for it to hit 5Kw, although the peak on the history of about 3.5 years of producing shows 6.06Kw, which seems pretty odd, as I wouldn't expect it to go over rating. A good day of production has the system running about 70-75% (4.5Kw is very good as a peak) for a 3-4 hours with the rest ramping up or down to that number. The peak output is when the weather is cooler, but of course the days are shorter and the peak power is limited to a much shorter period of time in the day too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

.....yeah and? Since when this place been any different?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

US goons:

If you had a choice between Capital One and Wells Fargo for a checking account, which would you choose, and why?

Don't want to go into the why's of why I'm choosing between the two and not using a CU.

Both have branches nearby (across the street from each other). I've previously banked with WF and didn't have any complaints, but both of my credit cards are already with Cap One.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

There are two reasons why I think that might not be a huge problem:
1) Those inverters might be rated for continuous output, not peak output. Do you have any model numbers or anything we can use to look it up?
2) Even if the above isn't true, it still only limits the rate at which you can pull from your batteries. Usually, the chain of devices to turn sun into a wall outlet goes solar panel(s) -> charge controller -> battery bank -> inverter -> breaker panel. As long as your charge controller can handle the maximum power your panels can put out in full sun, you'll still be able to take full advantage, you just might not be able to suck power out of your battery bank as fast as you can put it in (in ideal conditions). That seems like an acceptable problem to have, I think.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

US goons:

If you had a choice between Capital One and Wells Fargo for a checking account, which would you choose, and why?

Don't want to go into the why's of why I'm choosing between the two and not using a CU.

Both have branches nearby (across the street from each other). I've previously banked with WF and didn't have any complaints, but both of my credit cards are already with Cap One.

Cap One.

Well Fargo is a neverending source of financial dickery.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i cried at the end of season 6 episode 5 of game of thrones

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Cap One. I have 2 credit cards with them. I closed my Wells Fargo accounts 3 years ago because they kept loving around with fees and asking me to open new accounts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Wells fargo loving sucks.

Use Cap. One.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is their regular checking different than the ones they bought in from ING? I'm in the latter category and they haven't wrecked anything ING did, so go Capital One.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

Cap One.

Well Fargo is a neverending source of financial dickery.

Yeah this. Nobody should use this lovely company after their recent legal issues due to opening accounts under customer's names without their permission

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Raluek posted:

There are two reasons why I think that might not be a huge problem:
1) Those inverters might be rated for continuous output, not peak output. Do you have any model numbers or anything we can use to look it up?
2) Even if the above isn't true, it still only limits the rate at which you can pull from your batteries. Usually, the chain of devices to turn sun into a wall outlet goes solar panel(s) -> charge controller -> battery bank -> inverter -> breaker panel. As long as your charge controller can handle the maximum power your panels can put out in full sun, you'll still be able to take full advantage, you just might not be able to suck power out of your battery bank as fast as you can put it in (in ideal conditions). That seems like an acceptable problem to have, I think.

These are grid connect solar systems, so anything you dont use internally goes out to the grid and you get paid for it. They're capable of being hooked to battery systems, but not at the moment while theyre still hovering around $1K per kWh

The 8.2kw inverter is a Fronius Primo 8.2
http://www3.fronius.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-2C1A07E0-2F9FC668/fronius_australia/hs.xsl/25_10234.htm

The twin 5.0kw inverters are a pair of SMA Sunny Boys
http://files.sma.de/dl/28329/SB30-50-DEN1721-V24web.pdf

Apparently its illegal to make a solar inverter with a not stupid name.

From further research it seems that the concept of "Overclocking" your inverter by putting more array on it than its rated too is quite common in the AU solar industry, You do loose a bit of generation capacity when your at full tilt because your not able to fully exploit your panels, but you do get small gains in production either side of that. The trick is not having too much lost production that you dont exceed it with your gains either side.

Which makes me ask why i'd pay for 9.7KW of panels when i only have 8.2Kw of inverter when i can pay for 10.4kw of panels and get 10kw of inverter? Not sure chopping 1.5kw of your array capacity out of production is really worth the apparent gains either side?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I wonder how hard it is to add a couple more panels to the 10 kw system if you find it averages much less than peak.
I could see you wanting more panels, so you can keep a higher average over the day.
I am guessing the inverters are the expensive part, and the panels are much cheaper.
Plus you have to have the cabling to support the higher kw from the inverter.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ferremit posted:

Which makes me ask why i'd pay for 9.7KW of panels when i only have 8.2Kw of inverter when i can pay for 10.4kw of panels and get 10kw of inverter? Not sure chopping 1.5kw of your array capacity out of production is really worth the apparent gains either side?

Because of what I posted last night. You will almost never be getting more than 80% of the 'peak' capacity out of your array. Almost never.

Here are two very typical bright sunny days in the Phoenix area with a 6.0Kw array.

The first image is from a cool day at the beginning of May (high temp 79 degrees) and the second pic is from the 20th of June with a high temp of 107. As the temperature goes up, I obviously get more sun, but the efficiency of the panels goes down. The only times I ever exceed 5Kw from my array are cool winter days, and only for very brief times in the middle of the day.

You need more 'array' than the power requirements because the array is almost never going to be producing over 80% of it's rated capacity.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For a moment there I'm like.... did I really make that typo?

Turns out No I didn't for once :D

(28 years ago, still got the titanium or whatever they made the plate / screws and ball from. I got king hit in a rugby tackle by a Kiwi that twisted the ankle in the wrong direction and ummmm.... yeah I still cringe remembering how goddamn much it hurt)
Nope. My typo. Ah. Was wondering if I'd missed something.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Stereotypical derby guys are creepy, idiot sleazeballs the same way the stereotypical car guys are misogynistic alpha-males with infantile emotional IQs. :shrug:

My ankle's broken but it'll heal, and my insurance is good and can take care of it. When it heals, I'm going right back to my weird skating hobby because the community that we have is supportive and awesome. :shrug:

Some derby people are insufferable because they talk about the sport in a super condescending way, same way that some car people are insufferable because they only talk about cars. :shrug:

I get that I play an esoteric sport that gets dumped on a lot, and I do plenty of that dumping because it's a weird sport full of weirdos and misfits. Some of these misfits are awesome people, some are creepy dumbasses who are shown the door. Derby people aren't any worse than people in any other left-of-center community. Except furries, they're the worst.

Thanks for the well-wishes on the ankle. I'm going in for surgery on Friday! Baby's first surgery. How exciting.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Drink more milk, lift more weight, your babby bones are brittle af.

get well soon

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Drink more milk, lift more weight, your babby bones are brittle af.

get well soon

Yes, I will be doing this for sure, not joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
At least eat cheese instead, milk is a piss-poor source of calcium and is pretty much bad at everything besides making cheese.

• Locked thread