Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It truly amazes me how people can pass the age of 25 without damaging something that would require insurance.

What kind of bubble-boy life do these people lead

I made it to 35 without using insurance but what they say about your body breaking down past 30 is 100% true. I got insured with a good plan right before hurting my back, hurting my shoulder, damaging my Achilles tendon.

My medical provider has not helped with any of these issues and all the solutions I've been able to apply were found with Google.

American health care is loving garbage

Now if I got cancer I'm sure my tune would be different but nonetheless my experience has been the premiums and co-pays were absolutely wasted money.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

I think this is a pretty disingenuous way to look at the Democrats' platform. Their actions while in office tend towards actually trying to govern. They might not do it well, or at least do it well consistently enough, but they attempt to govern. Meanwhile, the Republicans' main thing is "if Democrats are for it, it must be bad, so we're against it." Yeah, "both sides" do some lovely things, but when one side is this much worse than the other, I think this both-sides-ism doesn't help anything.

I agree with that but when the U.S doesn't want to seem to give the Democratic party a real chance to govern and just kind of goes "well it's been a couple years and things aren't immediately better so time to give the House back to the Republicans.....again" like it often seems to it's a bit of a challenge. Like I said all gerrymandering aside it seems like the U.S loves itself some Republican governing. I mean the Democrats DID get a couple years there I swear from about 2008-2010 so it's not all gerrymandering that I can tell but again Canadian so can only follow thing so closely down there. That's about the only Democratic House/Senate control I can recall in the 21st century though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ammanas posted:

I made it to 35 without using insurance but what they say about your body breaking down past 30 is 100% true.

I turn 36 next week (double adult!) and waking up with unexplained aches and pains is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Your Taint posted:

I turn 36 next week (double adult!) and waking up with unexplained aches and pains is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

I realized about a year ago the simple truth that we're stuck in decaying organic systems and need to be proactive to maintain their proper function. Eat well, sleep well, exercise smartly and do yoga.

I'd actually wager most of your aches and pains are completely explainable too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It'd be great to mark a lot of the folks posting here for psych workups, but, y'know, health care

There are good and bad ways to respond but unless you are actually in a position to directly help (ie, a first responder in the person's area, an operator on a mental health help line, or a billionaire) it seems somewhat immaterial

I mean if you have advice on how to respond please share but unless it's very practical people probably aren't in a mood to listen to shoulds.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

I'm sorry am I supposed to take this seriously?

I truly doubt this person has had experience dealing with actual emergency situations or solving them enough to know what is the right way to react.

I have on the other hand worked with UN Peace Keeping missions and the Peace Corps and the endless despair in this thread was never useful nor was demonization of the opposition - and people showing signs of this a lot were marked for psych work up and review once we got back from the field.

Wow, I have never seen someone use "UN Peacekeeper" as their keyboard warrior story before!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kale posted:

I agree with that but when the U.S doesn't want to seem to give the Democratic party a real chance to govern and just kind of goes "well it's been a couple years and things aren't immediately better so time to give the House back to the Republicans.....again" like it often seems to it's a bit of a challenge. Like I said all gerrymandering aside it seems like the U.S loves itself some Republican governing. I mean the Democrats DID get a couple years there I swear from about 2008-2010 so it's not all gerrymandering that I can tell but again Canadian so can only follow thing so closely down there. That's about the only Democratic House/Senate control I can recall in the 21st century though.

The Dems would have controlled the house most of this decade, but unfortunately the Dems got WRECKED in 2010, and that screwed us for a decade. You do not want to do badly in state and local races during years that end in a zero.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammanas posted:

I realized about a year ago the simple truth that we're stuck in decaying organic systems and need to be proactive to maintain their proper function. Eat well, sleep well, exercise smartly and do yoga.

I'd actually wager most of your aches and pains are completely explainable too

Or just commit suicide young, which I believe is going to become popular with our generation.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Or just commit suicide young, which I believe is going to become popular with our generation.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Your Taint posted:

Wait until the first time you experience blinding pain from turning slightly to the right in the shower. That's when you know you're an adult!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm 35 and have only used insurance for a C-pap and a couple bacterial infections and a case of walking neumonia once. I lost weight and have been diagnosed as now clear of Sleep apnea.

My wife on the other hand, sleep apnea, mitrovalve prolapse, depression, C-section, birth control, and terrible teeth necessitating endless root canals despite perfect maintenance. Without insurance we'd be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. I can already tell my son has the same teeth issues and challenges with processing emotions.

We'd be so hosed without employer provided insurance.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Ammanas posted:

gently caress that! Oreo double stuffs and a closed casket at 40.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/889999215635693569

Another legislative win for Trump the fake news refuses to report about.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm 35 and have only used insurance for a C-pap and a couple bacterial infections and a case of walking neumonia once. I lost weight and have been diagnosed as now clear of Sleep apnea.

My wife on the other hand, sleep apnea, mitrovalve prolapse, depression, C-section, birth control, and terrible teeth necessitating endless root canals despite perfect maintenance. Without insurance we'd be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. I can already tell my son has the same teeth issues and challenges with processing emotions.

We'd be so hosed without employer provided insurance.

Sounds like you need to take personal responsibility. Kids these days always so lazy.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'd be great to mark a lot of the folks posting here for psych workups, but, y'know, health care

There are good and bad ways to respond but unless you are actually in a position to directly help (ie, a first responder in the person's area, an operator on a mental health help line, or a billionaire) it seems somewhat immaterial

I mean if you have advice on how to respond please share but unless it's very practical people probably aren't in a mood to listen to shoulds.

people """"""should""""" have a thread in this subforum where they can discuss political news without having to skip past a bunch of en bullshit and ranting that wouldn't be out of place in youtube comments

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Wait, is that what the :orb: was? Just an upscaled one of those?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sorry am I supposed to take this seriously?

I truly doubt this person has had experience dealing with actual emergency situations or solving them enough to know what is the right way to react.

I have on the other hand worked with UN Peace Keeping missions and the Peace Corps and the endless despair in this thread was never useful nor was demonization of the opposition - and people showing signs of this a lot were marked for psych work up and review once we got back from the field.

Go away, MyImaginaryUNPeacekeepingMission.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wait, is that what the :orb: was? Just an upscaled one of those?

Ever see Logan's Run?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Kale posted:

It's worth remembering that out of the 5 21st century presidential elections, Republicans only won the popular vote once.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Soon to be John McCains reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRmey2WvWnw

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Office Pig posted:

Ever see Logan's Run?
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Is the :orb: one of those? Is the world about to be Renewed? :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Has to be intentional

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Has to be intentional

He's way to young for Trump to be him in disguise, maybe Trump found a way to transfer his mind so he can live forever.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Is he Trump's speech coach? Is that how he got the communications job?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
This is the remainder of my hospital bill for a week after my insurance covered the 250k cost of the meds I was receiving.

That's just for the hospital and pain meds. I have to do this once a year and have monthly blood draws and a half dozen meds taken daily so that I don't die.

It costs close to a million dollars a year to keep me alive.

I'm making GBS threads bricks a little.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I have on the other hand worked with UN Peace Keeping missions

This and liking Star Trek make you 214% likely to be a pedophile, statistically speaking.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hey, guess what the ACA massively expanded access to, that might end up getting repealed?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Jaxyon posted:

Hey, guess what the ACA massively expanded access to, that might end up getting repealed?

well? don't leave us hanging jerk

also the mooch 10000000% studied trumps hand-speak style and is definitely imitating it to make trump subconsciously like him, in a crazy but ironic display of silly 80s alpha male powermoves

and it is somehow working

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

bird cooch posted:

This is the remainder of my hospital bill for a week after my insurance covered the 250k cost of the meds I was receiving.

That's just for the hospital and pain meds. I have to do this once a year and have monthly blood draws and a half dozen meds taken daily so that I don't die.

I'm Canadian and I'm in no way gloating here, but my son was a preemie and spent the first 30 days of his life in the NICU of our local hospital. The only thing I paid for was parking, I didn't see any bill whatsoever... It's absolutely disgusting that that nation with the highest per capita GDP on earth doesn't have universal healthcare. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

bird cooch posted:

Look, maybe you could be a little less selfish and realize how much happiness you could bring billionaires by just, y'know, not doing those things.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/890012059341131776

Well, yes.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

bird cooch posted:

So by remainder... do you mean thats what you're going to pay? Like you're going to have to pay 147k?

Jesus Christ, God bless the NHS.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Over the course of my life I have had probably 4 million dollars in hospital bills. Thanks!!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

farraday posted:

hasn't fully thought through ramifications.

Literally his entire life in politics.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The seemingly endless reading of the amendment has concluded. Ted Cruz is currently pitching his colleagues on his horrible, doomed amendment.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Has to be intentional

Perhaps he practiced mirroring Donald Trump's gestures so he could appeal to him on a subconscious level and get a job working for him.

Beaten:

skylined! posted:

also the mooch 10000000% studied trumps hand-speak style and is definitely imitating it to make trump subconsciously like him, in a crazy but ironic display of silly 80s alpha male powermoves

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 26, 2017

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

bird cooch posted:

I understand this viscerally. I was diagnosed with heart failure about a month before I turned 32. No issues with my heart otherwise. Not even high blood pressure. Just, bam, it got hosed up for still-unknown reasons, I felt like poo poo, and went into the ER.

I'm doing much better now, but my heart still isn't normal. I still have to be careful every single day that my body isn't going back to destroying itself.

I still depend on regular healthcare to not die, and I absolutely hope that anybody who votes to murder me by taking that away dies an excruciatingly painful and early death.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
In my experience, "worked with" almost universally means "was an annoyance to." If he'd done anything constructive, he wouldn't be so vague.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

EngineerJoe posted:

Literally his entire life

ftfy

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

is 'adviser' referred to in this tweet the 'obvious and innate intuition all humans are born with'

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

I am alive today (and with the real possibility of living a good and fully independent life) because of a variety of programs that only existed because of considerable expansions to mental health programs. The idea that someone in the exact position today that I was a few years ago might not be able to receive help just loving guts me. I would be long dead and/or doing the thorazine shuffle in some windowless hellhole without the help I received- help that just happens to have been available during the narrow window of time where I needed it.

To everyone in this thread who is being forced to stare into the abyss right now the only comfort I know to offer you is to tell you that you do not gaze into it alone. It isn't much comfort, I know. But its all I and others can offer right now and so that is what we are doing.

As hard as it is to gaze into the abyss, know at least that there are people willing to hold your hand and gaze in solidarity with you.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/890008949222723585

• Locked thread