Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah, the plan is to work on the truck in a field in Nebraska in November, this is a good plan that will work out well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dick bought a bicycle so if he leaves now he'll make it by November.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

14 SPEED DICK

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He will need the cheapest baby trailer he can find and a bunch of Wal-Mart camping gear if he wants to do it right.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't forget trail mix and a space blanket.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Leperflesh posted:

yeah, the plan is to work on the truck in a field in Nebraska in November, this is a good plan that will work out well

God do you people even read the thread title or what? :mad:

Seriously though, I'm not really crazy about having to wait til November to go out there, but it's really the only time I can get out there. Thanks to work, I can't take any real vacation time til mid-October, so like the third or fourth week of October would be the earliest I could get out there. If Dave wants to get the party started early though, that's fine :getin:

Also, Re: Trainchat. Never been on one, but it looks like it could be fun. I think I'd like to take one of those routes through the mountains or other scenic areas though, and be able to enjoy it. But hey, ANYTHING is better than a Greyhound. Seriously, I think everyone should take the Greyhound at least once. It will make you appreciate all other forms of travel so much more.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Don't forget trail mix and a space blanket.

Only to be eaten on a bluff while contemplating the normals.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, Re: Trainchat. Never been on one, but it looks like it could be fun. I think I'd like to take one of those routes through the mountains or other scenic areas though, and be able to enjoy it.
Is the truck less than 88 inches high and less than 84 inches wide? Are you not going to be running dualies in the back?
https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Hey Dick, by the time this party gets started I'm probably going to have a spare minivan you can have... Shitbox, but a cockroach that should keep on going as long as fluids are kept filled.

Just figured I would throw that out there.

PM me your number and I can text you pics/details.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

joat mon posted:

Is the truck less than 88 inches high and less than 84 inches wide? Are you not going to be running dualies in the back?
https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

I doubt they'd take it that way. I had enough trouble just finding someone to trailer down to Nebraska. Besides, we're pretty close to having it at running status anyways. No backing down now! :black101:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cursedshitbox posted:

I enjoyed taking a sleeper train to Kiev to see Chernobyl then high speed rail back.

I've never been on Amtrak because it's faster to walk.

Amtrak gets a bad rap outside of a few long distance trains.
I had a meeting in San Jose that started at 10 and ended at 4:00, I live in Sacramento.
I look the train, my co-worker took a car with a carpool. I got home an hour before he did. Plus they had beer (stone) on the train.

Rhyno posted:

I biked from Seattleish (anacortes) through the Dakotas (which would put you only a couple days from Valentine) and it would only take a month or so if he was in shape and left before it snowed. Also, his particular bike is probably not well suited to sustained long distance riding.
Don't actually do this, Dave.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 26, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

nm posted:

Amtrak gets a bad rap outside of a few long distance trains.
I had a meeting in San Jose that started at 10 and ended at 4:00, I live in Sacramento.
I look the train, my co-worker took a car with a carpool. I got home an hour before he did. Plus they had beer (stone) on the train.

I biked from Seattleish (anacortes) through the Dakotas (which would put you only a couple days from Valentine) and it would only take a month or so if he was in shape and left before it snowed. Also, his particular bike is probably not well suited to sustained long distance riding.
Don't actually do this, Dave.

Hypothetically speaking, will meth increase or decrease the amount of time it takes? Asking for a guy I know.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

ExplodingSims posted:

I doubt they'd take it that way. I had enough trouble just finding someone to trailer down to Nebraska. Besides, we're pretty close to having it at running status anyways. No backing down now! :black101:

I regret being the voice of Automobile Sanity earlier in the thread.

Hail Satan; the only way out of the well is straight down!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

shortspecialbus posted:

Hypothetically speaking, will meth increase or decrease the amount of time it takes? Asking for a guy I know.

You ride non-stop for 4 days, then you pawn the bike.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

stealie72 posted:

He will need the cheapest baby trailer he can find and a bunch of Wal-Mart camping gear if he wants to do it right.

I saw him pop up in some random thread months ago immediately after someone made a reference like this, saying he was going to try again in 2017. Anyone know if anything ever came of that?

#raisenawareness

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Good memories. He did raise much awareness, got to give him that. And we all told him his plan was dumb so ubering home after his 'trekking gear' gave out 20 minutes into this adventure was just the smart thing to do

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

Increase. Until the supply runs out. Then progress will decrease exponentially by the hour.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

You ride non-stop for 4 days, then you pawn the bike.

Basically this.
The tour de france used to be fueled by meth until they started testing for it after a bunch of dude's hearts exploded.

On my last tour I ran into a dude who was biking with two cat carriers (with cats) strapped to the back. (He had a trailer).

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

nm posted:

Basically this.
The tour de france used to be fueled by meth until they started testing for it after a bunch of dude's hearts exploded.

On my last tour I ran into a dude who was biking with two cat carriers (with cats) strapped to the back. (He had a trailer).

I mean WWII was fueled by meth on all sides, as was the Japanese economy post-WWII for like nearly two decades.

Meth: An Uncomfortable Part of our National Heritage.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

The tour would be much better if all performance enhancing dope were allowed with the proviso each team also bring one guy with a cat carrier on his back distributing :catdrugs:

Same for WW II and all of history but what's done is done.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rime posted:

I mean WWII was fueled by meth on all sides, as was the Japanese economy post-WWII for like nearly two decades.

Meth: An Uncomfortable Part of our National Heritage.

Wasn't that more regular amphetamine pills rather than methamphetamine?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I honestly enjoyed my Amtrak travels, and I'll absolutely rock Amtrak again, but you're sure as hell not getting anywhere in a hurry. Flying from Dallas to my home town (El Paso) is a little under 2 hours (throw in an hour of TSA bullshit on top of that, plus however long it takes to park, check your luggage, get your boarding pass if you don't check in online, etc). Driving? 10-12 hours depending on traffic and weather (I've made it in 7 when I found a pack of cars hauling serious rear end, but I've also had that drive take over 18 hours during winter storms, stopping only for gas and dinner). Bus? About 14-16 hours. Amtrak? two loving days.

Amtrak is very much a "hope you packed enough booze and non-perishable food for a week or two" trip unless you're on the east coast. But drat, it's pretty if you hang out in the lounge cars (once you get over the smell).

I took amtrak from LA to san antonio

amtrak is filled with weirdos....

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

Wasn't that more regular amphetamine pills rather than methamphetamine?

Allies used normal amphetamine but the axis used meth.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Allies used normal amphetamine but the axis used meth.

makes u think

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Didn't doctor prescribe amphetamines to housewives to help them get the work done? This was like a thing through the 60s right? Plus for weight control. Don't use wire hangers don't use wire hangers!

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The 50s and 60s were crazy fun times, there's a thread in TCC where an archivist shares wacky old drug ads. Ritalin started off as a mood enhancer for old people.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Elephanthead posted:

Didn't doctor prescribe amphetamines to housewives to help them get the work done? This was like a thing through the 60s right? Plus for weight control. Don't use wire hangers don't use wire hangers!

https://youtu.be/E-62QgzmcDQ ?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's Valium (I think).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Elephanthead posted:

Plus for weight control.

poo poo, you can have a doc prescribe you Phentermine today for weight loss and that poo poo is pretty drat close to being an amphetamine.

Speaking of amphetamines, I don't know how it is now, but when I was growing up, it wasn't uncommon for moms to yoink pills from their kids' Adderall bottles. It was one of those "nobody talks about this but :ssh: we all do it" things.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Herbalife was basically unregulated ephadrine, which acts like an amphetamine. They got away with peddling it as an herbal supplement for decades.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Vintage drug chat probably fits better here in the vintage drug ads thread. But yeah, much like today, drugs were prescribed rather easily in early 20th c. Just different ones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Leperflesh posted:

Herbalife was basically unregulated ephadrine, which acts like an amphetamine. They got away with peddling it as an herbal supplement for decades.

Roughly 15 years ago there was an alka seltzer tablet with ephadrine in it and it got me through so many rough days. I cried when they took it off the market.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Speaking of amphetamines, I don't know how it is now, but when I was growing up, it wasn't uncommon for moms to yoink pills from their kids' Adderall bottles. It was one of those "nobody talks about this but :ssh: we all do it" things.

It happens a lot. I had students constantly running out of pills by the middle of the month because mom was either taking them or selling them (or both!).

Also, Herbalife is a little scary. I took their three day sample pack from a coworker (who is/was a competition bodybuilder) and I dropped over 7lbs in those three days. Even now, being active and healthy, I don't drop that much in a three day period.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

poo poo, you can have a doc prescribe you Phentermine today for weight loss and that poo poo is pretty drat close to being an amphetamine.

Desoxyn, which is actually meth, can still be prescribed for weight loss.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
But I think that's mainly for extreme cases. It's mainly just rx'ed for adhd and narcolepsy (but I think modafinil works well for some narcoleptics.)

I've had it for adhd, it is the best (for me, therapeutically). Desoxyn is oddly calming (at sub 10mg doses which is all I have experience with)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Old Binsby posted:

100% off topic but I gotta ask, what smell?? Old cigarette smoke (euro trains around here last had this decades back so that'd be a cool throwback to step into) or stinky people or ??? I've never even considered using a train while in the US, but I guess if you're into scenery and have all the time in the world it might be a pretty cool way to travel.

Stinky people, mainly. I got on very much in the middle of a route, and there were plenty of people travelling cross-country who hadn't showered in a few days. A regular coach seat (which is surprisingly comfortable and roomy) is much cheaper than a room, but doesn't give you shower access of any kind, and you get access to only a handful of (generally foul) toilets. If you have the cheapest roomette in the sleeper car, you either have your own toilet (if it's a Viewliner - single level) or access to a shared toilet in the car (Superliner - 2 levels), and access to a shared shower. All other room options in the sleeper cars include their own showers and toilets. The Superliner also has a "family bedroom" option that sleeps 2 adults, 2 children, but no toilet or shower (just the shared facilities in the sleeper car).

To give you an idea, I just tried booking the same route I took before - one with coach, one with the cheapest room option (Superliner roomette). The coach seats came out to $82 each way, while the room options varied from $180 to $500 (each way) depending on what day of the week I chose and if I wanted a non-stop train or have it take a bit longer and switch (when I took the same route years ago, non-stop wasn't an option. I'm sure if you book it way, way in advance and juggle a lot of options you could probably bring that way down. It seems like upgrading to a room with a shower/toilet bumps it by about $150/trip for this particular trip (DAL -> ELP -> DAL). As you can imagine, most people opt for coach.

They haven't allowed smoking in a long time.

In addition to what others said, I found the security to be super lax. I'm not sure if I just caught them on an off day or what, but on my return trip, I checked my one bag, then walked onto the train. Nobody ever asked to see my ticket. When I left home, they did ask to see my ticket before getting on, and again halfway through the trip, but not at all coming back. There weren't any random stops with drug dogs or any poo poo like that. It was generally very relaxed, plus they had a restaurant and bar (okay the food wasn't great, but still). I had an overnight layover in San Antonio, so I got out and walked around downtown a bit, got dinner, had a couple of beers at a bar, then got back to the train and passed out (woke up a couple of times when they split up the individual cars to be moved to 2 different trains, was very confused waking up in the morning with the car I was in going "backwards").

When I do it again, it'll be when I have enough time to do a long trip... and have a sleeper. The coach seats are decently comfy, but suck for side sleepers. One cool thing about the sleepers is you get 3 meals a day included, while plebs are paying $15-35+ per dinner in the dining car (seriously their food is stupid expensive.. the "bar" [beer only on the train I was on] was about like a hotel bar in terms of prices, but if you didn't sneak your own on board...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 28, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sounds like it's a no brainer if you include meals.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

shortspecialbus posted:

The slowest thing in the entire known universe is a tweaker in a hurry. Right now though i can either walk or ride 30 miles in.a day carrying 50 lbs of gear on me, hills or flat. Current plan is to make it to North Platte as direct a route as possible then bike the remainder. Heres the current ride.

I dont need much else for a trip that short, a rear luggage rack and Ive been drooling over the Shimano Alfine disc-ready dynamo front hub as a charging solution but theres been a 15W Anker solar panel USB charger popping up on Craigslist ive had my eye on. I have a.feeling i need more agressive tires than the Contis on there now but havent explored 29"/700C-32 options. Lately its just been weather/security/load out/endurance training while i shut down operations in Seattle.

Ive been staying sharp in the meantime though.

Practicing my hand at the arts in a carrion bird warrior poet scavenger what roll in it own filth kind of way.

Jump off point is.around the end of this month. Someone left this out front this morning, i figure you guys could have it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DICK DICER posted:

The slowest thing in the entire known universe is a tweaker in a hurry. Right now though i can either walk or ride 30 miles in.a day carrying 50 lbs of gear on me, hills or flat. Current plan is to make it to North Platte as direct a route as possible then bike the remainder. Heres the current ride.

I dont need much else for a trip that short, a rear luggage rack and Ive been drooling over the Shimano Alfine disc-ready dynamo front hub as a charging solution but theres been a 15W Anker solar panel USB charger popping up on Craigslist ive had my eye on. I have a.feeling i need more agressive tires than the Contis on there now but havent explored 29"/700C-32 options. Lately its just been weather/security/load out/endurance training while i shut down operations in Seattle.

Ive been staying sharp in the meantime though.

Practicing my hand at the arts in a carrion bird warrior poet scavenger what roll in it own filth kind of way.

Jump off point is.around the end of this month. Someone left this out front this morning, i figure you guys could have it

So if I read this correctly you plan to take transport to North Flatte then cycle 200 odd kms with 20ish kgs of gear?

Thats a good plan and very doable. You might find you can cycle faster than you are estimating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dick: as a touring cyclist. Dyno hubs are best saved for lighting. The trickle you will get from a usb adaptor won't be much. For phones and poo poo, get a solar panel and a cache battery.
Dyno lights, however, are the loving poo poo.

• Locked thread