Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

This is just the Cruz amendment, I think. Presumably they're moving onto something else related to healthcare after this.

We have a lot of amendments to be voted on, especially when vote-a-rama begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how late are they staying up tonight?

Technically they could stay up all night but with the plan to do it before friday there isn't much need.

Heller a no

Moran also a no

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

And thats more than 50 no's Cruz amendment doesn't even have a majority.

edit: Heller no

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

"Wow, dilbert guy, you're a piece of poo poo."

"Ha ha! I forced you to compare me to poop! Another victory for the master manipulator!"

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
bidens to the right of hillary clinton and deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep in the pocket of uh, insurance? credit card companies? (forget which im tired) either way it's not important now but would be Thing #1 Certain People would complain about endlessly the minute biden beats the more leftleaning candidate in the primary

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Moran is another one of those "not even Cruz is evil enough" guys, right?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Does anyone know the schedule - IE what's still up tonight, and what'll be tomorrow?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Honestly right now Biden is a cool old dude in my head and I'd rather him not ruin that by running for president.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

38-53 so far. 9 NV atm

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I hope to live long enough to see CNN say Ted Cruz has passed away.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The worst democrat in the senate (according to mcmagic) is no

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I'd like to vote for somebody else besides a dumpy old centrist white dude in 2020. But I don't wanna get ahead of myself and presume that elections will still be taking place in 2020.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Honestly right now Biden is a cool old dude in my head and I'd rather him not ruin that by running for president.

Biden was the best Vice President we've ever had. Let's keep it that way.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Murkowski no, as expected. Collins still NV, but should be a no.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Craig K posted:

bidens to the right of hillary clinton and deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep in the pocket of uh, insurance? credit card companies? (forget which im tired) either way it's not important now but would be Thing #1 Certain People would complain about endlessly the minute biden beats the more leftleaning candidate in the primary

I hadn't thought of this before but it's going to be really hard to have an intelligent fair Democratic primary given what they'll be running against. Rhr overton window has moved so far we can't even see normalcy any more.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I hope you get your wish. I hope you live another week

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

what is dead can never die

Cruz will not die, merely return to his dread lair to sleep.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hollismason posted:

Biden running in 2020 would be the best possible person Dems could hope for

Maybe instead of running more octogenarians we should find some young and charismatic people to run instead?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So are we just skipping the vote on the straight repeal? Are they going for the skinny repeal after this, and do we know how Cruz and especially Lee feels about that?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My anger at John McCain aside, is it possible that by putting the Cruz Amendment up for a vote first, the idea would be to present the alternate options as far more reasonable and thus not bad? I mean it's obviously a comparison between getting stabbed in the stomach, heart, or throat, but are they trying to find ways to mitigate how utterly lovely all of their plans are? To soothe the idea of them voting yes on a clean/skinny repeal, or the 2015 plan?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I say this every time he comes up in this thread, but Biden is literally the person that people accused Hillary Clinton of being. It's hilarious that people keep seeing him as the savior of the Democratic party because the loving Onion made a fun character with his name.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:siren: Cotton no :siren:

WTF

edit: he's another not evil enough guy?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Ted Cruz is on my poo poo list, which is the list of people whose graves I will poo poo on regularly.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Paradoxish posted:

I say this every time he comes up in this thread, but Biden is literally the person that people accused Hillary Clinton of being. It's hilarious that people keep seeing him as the savior of the Democratic party because the loving Onion made a fun character with his name.

Don't forget he likes trains, a critical component to earn the goon vote

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rigel posted:

WTF

There's nothing to be gained voting yes for a dead and unpopular bill, even if he might think it's good. Far safer to say no and concoct a reason. Lot of reasons to say no, only so many reasons to say yes.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Rigel posted:

WTF

There's an interesting procedural wrinkle with this that goes back to something we talked about earlier. This is technically not the vote on BRCA+Cruz, it's a vote to wave the Byrd rule on BRCA+Cruz

I have no idea why that would make the difference but maybe Cotton really loves the Byrd rule?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

Really is.

Though with the election past, the 2017 brogressive litmus test is ranting about how Pelosi has to go while having nothing to say about Schumer.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TGLT posted:

There's nothing to be gained voting yes for a dead and unpopular bill, even if he might think it's good. Far safer to say no and concoct a reason. Lot of reasons to say no, only so many reasons to say yes.

Unless you're McCain.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The BRCA isn't anything to get excited about, not to poop on the parade. The real "fun" begins with full repeal, skinny repeal, and the final vote.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

There's an interesting procedural wrinkle with this that goes back to something we talked about earlier. This is technically not the vote on BRCA+Cruz, it's a vote to wave the Byrd rule on BRCA+Cruz

I have no idea why that would make the difference but maybe Cotton really loves the Byrd rule?

Actually I'm now further confused, because without that, wouldn't that pretty much kill BRCA+Cruz? There's no way they're getting 60 votes for that. Again I sorta feel like they're trying to frontload the poo poo for people to symbolically vote against, then say "look how reasonable we are voting yes for this thing that wasn't as bad"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

farraday posted:

It is? Wow, that seems...petty.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Covok posted:

It is? Wow, that seems...petty.

politics.txt

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Medullah posted:

Wait until the first time you experience blinding pain from turning slightly to the right in the shower. That's when you know you're an adult!

Ha! Been there! Today is the first time since Friday night that I don't have sharp, knife-like pains in my lower back if I don't move exactly the right way. For the last two days my wife even needed to help me get up out of chairs and bed because the pain was blinding.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Actually I'm now further confused, because without that, wouldn't that pretty much kill BRCA+Cruz? There's no way they're getting 60 votes for that.

Yes, but, procedures are procedures.

Welcome to the Senate.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Unless you're McCain.

I mean there's literally nothing to gain for McCain at this point one way or the other. Might as well vote the way your poo poo heart says.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Crabtree posted:

Unless you're McCain.

He can relate to it, at least among the young.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Craig K posted:

yeah, and obama voted to authorize surveillance programs and i'm sure voted for some corporate stuff as well. that only matters to a small subset of politically engaged people, the thing that wins elections is charisma and likability, straight up

much of the american public is literally too stupid and/or uninformed to research a candidate's policies and connect that to their own values and how it will affect their everyday life

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Yes, but, procedures are procedures.

Welcome to the Senate.

Fair enough, for some reason I thought they were just going to pretend that this was totally able to be passed through reconcilation because McConnell has shown he doesn't care about the rules when he's in charge

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Aurubin posted:

Out of curiosity, why wasn't Gardner ever on the "moderate" list? Colorado voted for Hilary by a decent margin. Is it just that 4 years is too far in legislative memory?
Pages ago but I don't think I saw it answered. Gardener won his seat in 2014 by 40,000 votes, basically a margin of about 2%, probably because Dems suck at midterms. He's hosed come 2020 - the pustule in the south that is Colorado Springs can't offset the fact that the Boulder & Denver areas have been growing like crazy in the past few years and are super blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

farraday posted:

The insurance industry hates the Cruz amendment (or am I thinking of the compromise on it?). The Cruz amendment is pretty much a lose-lose that doesn't even get you closer to a massive tax cut.

Cut me some slack if I'm wrong, though. This poo poo has been real hard to follow.

• Locked thread