Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So can we call her Bradley now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I've got some questions about whether a Twitter pronouncement is legally binding.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

I've got some questions about whether a Twitter pronouncement is legally binding.

And so will all the lawyers who just had a raging boner.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

TBeats posted:

Does that mean people get kicked out if they say they are trans and they're already in?

Come on trump we need like 15 more tweets to flesh this policy out.

Yes. Which is why they will have to change it and then watch it collapse in court.

Their only hope is to simply bar transition surgeries under readiness rules. But anything else will have to be reasonably accommodated like hormone therapy, counseling and legal documentation changes. If you can deploy, they won't be able to kick you out.

The more surprising move will be when Trump tries to ban homosexuals in a follow up policy, possibly as soon as later today.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Belgian Waffle posted:

lol we just had a commander's call that addressed this that is now 100% wrong.
haha wtf.

I'm curious how said emails will show up on my end since I'm a weird civ/mil hybrid and we get all of that policy stuff when it comes out.

With that said, there's a two-prong reason for this, both are incredibly dumb. The first is that Donnie is losing his base due to his Sessions insults, so this is a base play. The second reason is trouble in Congress on the defense bill in the House.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/20/house-republicans-try-to-revive-ban-on-transgender-pentagon-surgeries-240770

Basically conservatives are pissed that they couldn't push through a ban on reassignment surgeries in the defense bill and there's enough of an uproar that it could torpedo the whole bill. So, Donnie's like I CAN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM and here we are.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I wonder which intern though if the idea of using a wedge issue to distract the base

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Genocide Tendency posted:

Yes. Which is why they will have to change it and then watch it collapse in court.

Not sure what you mean by this bit.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I wonder if Mattis has an orange phone dedicated to letting him know immediately what stupid poo poo Trump has done now so he can start trying to unfuck it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Smiling Jack posted:

I wonder which intern though if the idea of using a wedge issue to distract the base

Funny thing....

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/890202683721863168

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Godholio posted:

Not sure what you mean by this bit.

People think you can actually sue the military?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

I'm curious how said emails will show up on my end since I'm a weird civ/mil hybrid and we get all of that policy stuff when it comes out.

With that said, there's a two-prong reason for this, both are incredibly dumb. The first is that Donnie is losing his base due to his Sessions insults, so this is a base play. The second reason is trouble in Congress on the defense bill in the House.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/20/house-republicans-try-to-revive-ban-on-transgender-pentagon-surgeries-240770

Basically conservatives are pissed that they couldn't push through a ban on reassignment surgeries in the defense bill and there's enough of an uproar that it could torpedo the whole bill. So, Donnie's like I CAN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM and here we are.

Army Chiefs posted this about an hour prior:

Notice what is missing? Sexual Orientation. DADT is probably back on the menu.

joat mon posted:

I wonder if Mattis has an orange phone dedicated to letting him know immediately what stupid poo poo Trump has done now so he can start trying to unfuck it.

Mattis was directly involved in delaying the Obama era ruling that helped ease restrictions on transgenders.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742771576039460864

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I just sent an email asking whether we still needed to wrap up this transgender training by our 31 July suspense since the president banned trans people via twitter

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Retardog posted:

I just sent an email asking whether we still needed to wrap up this transgender training by our 31 July suspense since the president banned trans people via twitter

Knocked that poo poo out early and had a giggle as people kept complaining about it :toot: I personally had way more of a moral problem with Constitution Day training.

That said, mandatory training with a 30 September suspense doesn't actually mean 30 September around here, it means get it done or you're getting yelled at in August.

Edit: cheesebrain is back to whining about Sessions again.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 26, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Knocked that poo poo out early and had a giggle as people kept complaining about it :toot: I personally had way more of a moral problem with Constitution Day training.

That said, mandatory training with a 30 September suspense doesn't actually mean 30 September around here, it means get it done or you're getting yelled at in August.

Edit: cheesebrain is back to whining about Sessions again.

lolwut

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Retardog posted:

Very simply, the President & the White House knows where their policy positions are at all times. The President and his staff knows this because they know where Obama's positions were not. By subtracting where their policy's are from where Obama's were not, or where Obama was from where they are(whichever is greater), it obtains a press release, or tweet. The President uses tweets to generate commands to drive the GOP from a policy position where it is to a policy position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BigDave posted:

Very simply, the President & the White House knows where their policy positions are at all times. The President and his staff knows this because they know where Obama's positions were not. By subtracting where their policy's are from where Obama's were not, or where Obama was from where they are(whichever is greater), it obtains a press release, or tweet. The President uses tweets to generate commands to drive the GOP from a policy position where it is to a policy position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, I serve with several transgender Airmen and the loving president just kicked them out over twitter???

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BigDave posted:

Glorious.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I am personally glad that the military is back to focusing on victory instead of letting trannies run roughshod over Iraq and Afghanistan.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

http://constitutionday.cpms.osd.mil

gl hf

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

The funniest part about Sessions is that he pretty much gave up his for-life job (because loving :lol: if you think he was ever going to get voted out of his seat) to take the AG job and will likely lose that in the next few months.

Go out swinging Jeff, go on. Do it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

BigDave posted:

Did you just copy pasta how a tomahawk knows it location?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

His plan is to protect them by putting them in camps.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Buca di Bepis posted:

Holy poo poo, I serve with several transgender Airmen and the loving president just kicked them out over twitter???

Kind of, except this will be in court by the end of the week of not by the end of the day.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I guess the Marines are going to be short staffed for a while.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie appears to have bullshitted his way into this garbage and dragged his generals into it:

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/890211167683084288

As Mattis has been on vacation all week.

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/890211346318598144

What a shitshow. I bet Donnie never even signs an executive order / policy guide to make it official.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 26, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Notice what is missing? Sexual Orientation. DADT is probably back on the menu.

It's not possible to bring back DADT without a supreme court ruling that overtuns both obergefell and a congressional law. And there really isn't anybody who has standing or is willing to make that challenge. The president can't bring back DADT anymore than he can outlaw abortion by tweet.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Someone will have to explain to him that it doesn't count unless it's from @POTUS

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

His base will eat it up even if he doesn't follow through

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

It's not possible to bring back DADT without a supreme court ruling that overtuns both obergefell and a congressional law. And there really isn't anybody who has standing or is willing to make that challenge. The president can't bring back DADT anymore than he can outlaw abortion by tweet.

Doesn't mean the moron won't try, though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Well, and banning transgenders wasn't a very informed decision either, he still did it.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Well, and banning transgenders wasn't a very informed decision either, he still did it.

Nobody is saying it was well informed, just that he has the legal authority to do it. He doesn't have the legal authority to do DADT.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

cowboy elvis posted:

Did you just copy pasta how a tomahawk knows it location?

Yup, it seemed to fit.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JoshACLU/status/890198196877750276

ACLU attorney

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I guess the Marines are going to be short staffed for a while.

Marines are never not short in the staff

Else they wouldn't be marines

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope he increases the funding for the f35 next

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

That staff member isn't wrong. See "The Gay Marriage Debate"(2004) .

https://mobile.twitter.com/theonion/status/859437833945194500?lang=en

This comes to mind

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BigDave posted:

:perfect:

shyduck posted:

His base will eat it up even if he doesn't follow through

:( Work should be interesting today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I don't think DADT is coming back but this is not true at all, Obergefell wasn't even decided on any sort of basis that would even intersect with DADT and even if it was the court has always been rather deferential to whatever the military wants being a "compelling government interest".

• Locked thread