Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

True enough. Fine, I'm withdrawing my endorsement until the following changes are made to the proposal:

-If Morocco or France become involved in a war or rebellion, Al-Andalus will immediately declare war.
-The war goals against Morocco are the seizure of Tangiers, and then as much adjoining territory as possible.
-Against France, it is their removal from the Mediterranean by whatever means necessary and possible without directly taking territory for Al-Andalus.
-Moroccan intervention takes priority over French.

Fair. If this is the price of all Andalusi seeing the light, then so be it. The demands of the New Taifas have been added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Policies right now, let me know if I missed something:

Rodyle posted:

Professional Practice Logistics Act
The Sultan is obligated to ensure that:
1. Our fortresses along the Pyrenees are reinforced as heavily as possible.
2. That constructions and decisions to increase and maintain our manpower continue.
3. And that our defense alliances be kept intact.

Rodyle, Frionnel.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Proposing The SEAconquista. Vassalize Sardinia by force, butter them up a little with diplomacy, marriage, maybe a little dosh, then force convert them once they like us more. The Mediterranean will belong to Muslim powers only, as will it's trade.

Ralepozozaxe.

devildragon777 posted:

Proposing the Madressa Expansion Act:
  • Build Mosques and Universities in as many places as possible
  • Take Administrative Ideas
  • Focus on advancing Humanist Ideas (I think this will help stop unrest/rebellions? I don't know the mechanics)
Let's focus on the traditions of learning and knowledge embedded in our faith. Let the Sultan and the Loyalists spread Islam by the sword, we of the Ulema shall spread it by the book...

devildragon777.

Soup du Jour posted:

Proposing the Panamanian Control Act, mandating that we colonize or conquer the lands that once fell under our control at the southern end of America, before the French set our settlements ablaze. America is our continent, especially that region.

Soup du Jour.

paragon1 posted:

Proposing the It Was Just Laying Around Act: Conquer the colonies that have rebelled from Morocco.
For reference, this includes Morocco's former Caribbean and Brazilian territories.

paragon1, WilliamAnderson, Talas.

Technowolf posted:

Proposing the Bazaar of the Bizarre act: Build trade depots and/or marketplaces in the provinces with our most valuable trade goods.

Technowolf, GunnerJ.

Dance Officer posted:

I, Dansar Rabb al'Ustul, propose the Continued Made in al Andalus act. Manufactories and workshops are to be built in all provinces in the Sevilla trade node. Other buildings, except for fortifications, may be destroyed to make place.

Dance Officer.

Crazycryodude posted:

Proposing another extension of the Made in Al-Andalus Act
Production is king, and we've still got time to game the institution spawn. I'd rather see the merchants using their policy slots on ideas or more colonies (Asia/Africa are looking woefully under-exploited), let us Loyalists look after the home front.

Crazycryodude, HiHo ChiRho, Odysseus S. Grant.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I, Emir Flavius al-Belisarius, who is totally not a Roman, propose the Father Cares for Children Act. I encourage the council to yield authority to our beloved Sultan, long may he reign, to focus on improving the prosperity of Greater al-Andalus within the borders his wise father declared to be our charge in the eyes of the Prophet. Let us leave Morocco for the dogs and France to give itself away. We finally have Iberia for ourselves. Let us let our Sultan focus his benevolent hand on it.

Flavius Belisarius.

Proposed Coalitions:

/

AJ_Impy posted:

Proposing a Coalition motion: Death to All Infidels.
*Convert everyone not currently a true Sunni to the faith of our beloved Sultan, to suppress revolts.
*Pounce on one of our rivals when they are isolated and weak, and when we have the manpower and resources to do so. In specific:
-If Morocco or France become involved in a war or rebellion, Al-Andalus will immediately declare war.
-The war goals against Morocco are the seizure of Tangiers, and then as much adjoining territory as possible.
-Against France, it is their removal from the Mediterranean by whatever means necessary and possible without directly taking territory for Al-Andalus.
Additional submissions will be considered, and added in if need be. What one cannot achieve, the many can.

Ulema: AJ_Impy.
Taifas:

/

Mountaineer posted:

I think both our factions share an interest in building our nation's military strength. In previous wars our weakness was running out of manpower, forcing the Sultan to hire mercenaries and take on massive debts to defend the nation. We can solve this problem by adopting Quantity Ideas to bolster the size of our army.

Loyalists: Mountaineer, Slaan, Zakrelo.
Taifas:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Mountaineer posted:

Too bad the New Taifas aren't in charge. I think we're due for a military idea set. Well, there's always coalitions, so let's so if this works out!

/

Proposing the More Men for the Sultan's Army Coalition

I think both our factions share an interest in building our nation's military strength. In previous wars our weakness was running out of manpower, forcing the Sultan to hire mercenaries and take on massive debts to defend the nation. We can solve this problem by adopting Quantity Ideas to bolster the size of our army.

I shall support this if we include a stipulation that the money otherwise spent on mercenaries shall instead go towards investment in the prosperity of Al-Andalus. (IE: mosques, universities, etc.)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

/

*Convert everyone not currently a true Sunni to the faith of our beloved Sultan, to suppress revolts.
*Pounce on one of our rivals when they are isolated and weak, and when we have the manpower and resources to do so. In specific:

Additional submissions will be considered, and added in if need be. What one cannot achieve, the many can.

Very well. Against my better judgement, I back this.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

Proposing the Panamanian Control Act, mandating that we colonize or conquer the lands that once fell under our control at the southern end of America, before the French set our settlements ablaze. America is our continent, especially that region.

I support this!

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 26, 2017

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Soup du Jour posted:

I too support this.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Zakrelo posted:

Snipee posted:

I propose the Absolute Freedom Act removing all historic limits on our Sultan's powers to govern as he wished. Practically, this act will serve as legislative cover for any of the Sultan's future actions that might conflict with previously established norms (such as the older traditions of tolerance for Christians) or outdated taboos against our sovereign's efforts for the centralization of power (any de facto restrictions on the monarch from supposedly "infringing" on the "rights" of our bloated aristocracy or of the spoiled children living in our freewheeling colonies).

I am NOT proposing to negate any currently pending policy proposals that will be passed during this session. I only want to make it more narratively plausible for the Sultan to chart his own path away free of the shackles of history.

I like the intention of this act, but is it even legal to propose, and would it be useful considering policies only last one session according to the rules?

I was going for narrative fluff more than anything since it feels weird for the Loyalists to insist on the Sultan to do anything, but Hashim, can you clarify if this is legal?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

I was going for narrative fluff more than anything since it feels weird for the Loyalists to insist on the Sultan to do anything, but Hashim, can you clarify if this is legal?

It's mostly that part about "removing all historic limits on the Sultan's power to govern" that's the problem. The Majlis literally exists as a limit on the Sultan's power, so like I said before, no single faction can weaken the entire assembly.

I didn't know that you were going for a more narrative direction though, but you don't need to worry about that anyways. Things like the size of different factions and the proposals submitted are all taken into account, and Utman realises that having the largest Jizrunid Loyalist faction ever means he can do what no previous sultan has been able to do: begin to stretch the limits of his perogative.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

The followers of Ali have become too entrenched in the East. Our piety is undermined while the ignorant follow the words of false preachers. I, Chatrapati of the Ulema, propose a missionary programme amongst our Shia provinces, and to erect new mosques in the modern style in those converted provinces to encourage the feeble-minded to remain on the true path to God.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Erwin the German posted:

I shall support this if we include a stipulation that the money otherwise spent on mercenaries shall instead go towards investment in the prosperity of Al-Andalus. (IE: mosques, universities, etc.)

I added an amendment. Thank you for your support!

Snipee posted:

Who cares if it's legal? I once proposed abolishing the Majlis entirely and I still stand by that.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

/

Excellent. Supporting.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hashim posted:

It's mostly that part about "removing all historic limits on the Sultan's power to govern" that's the problem. The Majlis literally exists as a limit on the Sultan's power, so like I said before, no single faction can weaken the entire assembly.

I didn't know that you were going for a more narrative direction though, but you don't need to worry about that anyways. Things like the size of different factions and the proposals submitted are all taken into account, and Utman realises that having the largest Jizrunid Loyalist faction ever means he can do what no previous sultan has been able to do: begin to stretch the limits of his perogative.

Yessssssss. This is my second favorite LP of all time. The best is still the hilarious Oregon Trail LP from many years ago with goons insisting on loading up the wagons with grandfather clocks with multiple successive votes.

AJ_Impy posted:

/

I support this conditional on the Sultan's approval.

[quote="Mountaineer" post=""474738985"]
Who cares if it's legal? I once proposed abolishing the Majlis entirely and I still stand by that.
[/quote]

I would vote for this instead if you proposed it again.

E: In case it's not clear, I am withdrawing my supposedly illegal proposal in favor of the Death to All Infidels coalition proposal.

Snipee fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 26, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Mountaineer posted:

Too bad the New Taifas aren't in charge. I think we're due for a military idea set. Well, there's always coalitions, so let's so if this works out!

/

Amendment: While this likely goes without saying, the money thus saved by reducing the cost of our military should instead be put toward the economic and cultural development of Al-Andalus.

Changing my vote to this

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 26, 2017

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Mountaineer posted:

/

Amendment: While this likely goes without saying, the money thus saved by reducing the cost of our military should instead be put toward the economic and cultural development of Al-Andalus.

As promised, supporting.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Soup du Jour posted:

This has my support.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rodyle posted:

The Taifas duty is, first and foremost, to the military, and certainly NOT to any projects by mad imams seeking to attack our Dhimmi. Such proposals offer nothing for us and quite the opposite actually run counter to our security goals.

Professional Practice Logistics Act
The Sultan is obligated to ensure that:
1. Our fortresses along the Pyrenees are reinforced as heavily as possible.
2. That constructions and decisions to increase and maintain our manpower continue.
3. And that our defense alliances be kept intact.

I support this measure.

Edit: Oh, well

Edit 2:

Mountaineer posted:

/

Well, then I'll have to put my vote to here!

catlord fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 26, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Soup du Jour posted:

Supporting this.

And once we have those territories, let's never give them back.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

catlord posted:

I support this measure.

Measure was withdrawn, my mistake.

Back the Ulema coalition so we can take Tangiers or gently caress up France

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Or back the Loyalist coalition so that we adopt a very useful idea group for any war while not supporting this silly attack on other faiths.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

Production is king, and we've still got time to game the institution spawn. I'd rather see the merchants using their policy slots on ideas or more colonies (Asia/Africa are looking woefully under-exploited), let us Loyalists look after the home front.

Supported. Honestly this is just a specific and doable way to improve the homefront, which is the point of the other Loyalist proposal.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

devildragon777 posted:

• Focus on advancing Humanist Ideas (I think this will help stop unrest/rebellions? I don't know the mechanics)

Let's focus on the traditions of learning and knowledge embedded in our faith. Let the Sultan and the Loyalists spread Islam by the sword, we of the Ulema shall spread it by the book...

Supporting this.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AJ_Impy posted:

/

Supporting this

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

This

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Technowolf posted:

Proposing the Bazaar of the Bizarre act: Build trade depots and/or marketplaces in the provinces with our most valuable trade goods.

Sure, why not? Let's go with this.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Rescinding my proposal and putting my support behind the Taifa/Ulama proposal by AJ_Impy.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Updated policies:

none.

devildragon777 posted:

devildragon777, Vinny Possum.

Soup du Jour posted:

Soup du Jour, Camoes, Rubix Squid, Ikasuhito, Mikl.

paragon1 posted:

Proposing the It Was Just Laying Around Act: Conquer the colonies that have rebelled from Morocco.
For reference, this includes Morocco's former Caribbean and Brazilian territories.

paragon1, WilliamAnderson, Talas.

Technowolf posted:

Technowolf, GunnerJ, Wyvernil.

Dance Officer posted:

I, Dansar Rabb al'Ustul, propose the Continued Made in al Andalus act. Manufactories and workshops are to be built in all provinces in the Sevilla trade node. Other buildings, except for fortifications, may be destroyed to make place.

Dance Officer.

Crazycryodude posted:

Crazycryodude, HiHo ChiRho, Odysseus S. Grant, gbuchold, mcclay.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I, Emir Flavius al-Belisarius, who is totally not a Roman, propose the Father Cares for Children Act. I encourage the council to yield authority to our beloved Sultan, long may he reign, to focus on improving the prosperity of Greater al-Andalus within the borders his wise father declared to be our charge in the eyes of the Prophet. Let us leave Morocco for the dogs and France to give itself away. We finally have Iberia for ourselves. Let us let our Sultan focus his benevolent hand on it.

Flavius Belisarius.

Proposed Coalitions:

/

AJ_Impy posted:

Ulema: AJ_Impy, Ralepozozaxe.
Taifas: Rodyle, Lord Cyrahzax, RZApublican.

/

Mountaineer posted:

Proposing the More Men for the Sultan's Army Coalition. I think both our factions share an interest in building our nation's military strength. In previous wars our weakness was running out of manpower, forcing the Sultan to hire mercenaries and take on massive debts to defend the nation. We can solve this problem by adopting Quantity Ideas to bolster the size of our army.

Loyalists: Mountaineer, Slaan, Zakrelo, Erwin the German.
Taifas: Frionnel, catlord.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 26, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
We need one more for Bazaar of the Bizarre or this is going to be another lovely session of Merchants flailing at being Taifas. :(

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Chatrapati posted:

The followers of Ali have become too entrenched in the East. Our piety is undermined while the ignorant follow the words of false preachers. I, Chatrapati of the Ulema, propose a missionary programme amongst our Shia provinces, and to erect new mosques in the modern style in those converted provinces to encourage the feeble-minded to remain on the true path to God.

Chatrapati, your proposal is illegal since Ulema can't convert policies at all except for coalitions. You need to be the second-largest faction to be able to use policies for conversion.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 26, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

/

With these additions I don't really have anything to intervene with. Supported!

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Hashim posted:

Chatrapati, your proposal is illegal since Ulema can't convert policies at all except for coalitions. You need to be the second-largest faction to be able to use policies for conversion.

Sorry! Then, I'm voting for the Madressa Expansion Act.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Also, this is directed at the prospective coalitions: there's no way that both coalitions can pass, since that would essentially amount to the Taifas submitting two policies. At the moment though, it doesn't matter, since the Loyalist/Taifa policy won't pass without more support, and the Ulema/Taifa coalition is currently tied with the sole Ulema policy (Madressa Expansion Act).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GunnerJ posted:

We need one more for Bazaar of the Bizarre or this is going to be another lovely session of Merchants flailing at being Taifas. :(

Colonial expansion has always been a Merchant schtick though? It's not like we'd be declaring war on anyone who can do anything about it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

GunnerJ posted:

Know what? Panamian Control's pretty much in the lead, so

Switching from Panamian Control to Bazaar of the Bizarre.

Us not being all expansion like will confuse the hell out of our enemies.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Supporting Bazaar of the Bizarre.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

paragon1 posted:

Supporting this

I do not understand this movement to undermine this act in favor of the Bazaar. Because it would make us "like the Taifas"? They're independent colonies ripe for the taking you fools! Why on earth would we not want to solidify our control over the Carribean that has been our lifeblood through the darker times?!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Because every Merchant government that tried to be warmongers has sucked.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GunnerJ posted:

Because every Merchant government that tried to be warmongers has sucked.

Do you grasp basic concepts like "circumstances" and "resources".

Is it, in fact, conceivable to you that attacking independent undefended colonies might be rather a bit easier than fighting Morocco and France simultaneously?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I want to propose a simple act so that we the Taifas have something to fall back on should the coalition fail to bear fruit. But at the same time I know that if I propose a new act I will in fact withdraw my vote from the coalition and thus potentially ENSURE it will fail...

Oh these dilemmas! Hashim, help me out here! Is my math correct or have I missed something? And if I have in fact missed something, and the coalition will succeed even without my vote, would it be rude of me to ask for 'bout an hour or so to write one up?

Luhood fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 26, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Do you grasp basic concepts like "circumstances" and "resources".

Is it, in fact, conceivable to you that attacking independent undefended colonies might be rather a bit easier than fighting Morocco and France simultaneously?

Jesus, chill out.

Er, "Isa," chill out I mean! :D :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Luhood posted:

I want to propose a simple act so that we the Taifas have something to fall back on should the coalition fail to bear fruit. But at the same time I know that if I propose a new act I will in fact withdraw my vote from the coalition and thus potentially ENSURE it will fail...

Oh these dilemmas! Hashim, help me out here! Is my math correct or have I missed something? And if I have in fact missed something, and the coalition will succeed even without my vote, would it be rude of me to ask for 'bout an hour or so to write one up?

As it stands, the Taifas will form most of the support in the 'Death to All Infidels' coalition with or without you, so it'll be fine for you to withdraw and propose your own policy so long as other Taifas don't start supporting the other coalition. The only problem currently facing the Death to Infidels coalition is that it has only two Ulema supporting it, so it needs at least one more Ulema vote for it to be tied with the current Ulema Madressa policy, and two more if it's to succeed without issue. So, as things currently stand, neither coalition will pass with or without your support.

Also, if you need time then sure, go ahead and write up your proposal.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 26, 2017