Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

WampaLord posted:

Her plan was a constitutional amendment. http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/hillary-clinton-citizens-united-225658

Now we can sit here and laugh at that plan, but for this one particular issue, I didn't doubt her sincerity. People aren't 100% bad usually.

She either doesn't know how amendments work, especially in a world where republicans control the majority of state houses, or she's just paying lip service to it. Either way, that's really bad, almost 100% bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

i did and still do, cause she was all too eager to start sucking on that megadonor tap

There would still be plenty of ways for her to get donor money even with that decision being overturned.

I'll drop it, cause I don't really want to be defending Hillary in this thread, but a little nuance every now and then is good.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ze Pollack posted:

it is the part where you said voting for trump was okay

It is fine that people like Call me Charlie were idiots and got duped by Trump. It's literally no worse than getting duped by Clinton. Both Clinton voters and Trump voters should be allowed to enter the sanctum and repent for their sins. Voting for Trump isn't ok, there's a reason I vote third party. But I understand people who get duped by the rhetoric on both sides and neither of them should be lambasted for their 2016 votes but for their current opinions.

quote:

stop trying to use minority issues you do not care about as a cudgel to win internet arguments. not only is it grotesque, you are extremely bad at it.

By what measure do I not care about minority issues?

I support reparations, affirmative action, immigration reform, ending the war on drugs, reforming the gently caress out of the police, etc etc

This is exactly what I mean, do you see me accusing people of "trying to use minority rights you don't care bout to win internet arguments". no, of course not, thats loving stupid. why would you accuse someone of not caring about minority rights? what do you gain by that and how do you even pretend to go about proving it?

now, people who use minority rights to attack third party voters on the left for not voting for clinton, that's the real stupid

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 26, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

now, people who use minority rights to attack third party voters on the left for not voting for clinton, that's the real stupid

He says, on the day that Trump just banned all trans people from the military.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
oh nevermind I said mean words so clearly I hate black people

WampaLord posted:

He says, on the day that Trump just banned all trans people from the military.

This is basically "HIRE MORE PRISON GUARDS". Who the gently caress wants the "right" to join the military that's a goddamn joke. Either way, I don't support that and voting for Hillary wouldn't have changed it. hth

What you don't understand (or you do and you're just bitter about living in a swing state) is that not everyone's vote matters come election day, particularly when it concerns the presidency. This, again, is part of the reason attacking people based on who they voted for nine months ago is pretty stupid.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 26, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

n, some of them are extremely conservative, some of them are left-leaning. you're fishing really hard to find a reason for what i said to be unreasonable

Who is extremely conservative on the Supreme Court out of the four justices appointed by Bill Clinton or Obama? And who is a "worthless centrist" by your definition. Grow the gently caress up and define your parameters.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yronic heroism posted:

Who is extremely conservative on the Supreme Court out of the four justices appointed by Bill Clinton or Obama? And who is a "worthless centrist" by your definition. Grow the gently caress up and define your parameters.

All of them you gigantic baby, especially by the standards of any reasonable leftist. How could anyone with reasonable political views possibly survive the gauntlet of bullshit to get to the level of supreme court justice?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

why are you asking me who constitutes a worthless centrist when i already gave you an example of one (garland)? another example would be kennedy

Why do you act so assured that these would be the exact type of justice appointed by a democrat when the four on the court you admit lean left?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

What you don't understand (or you do and you're just bitter about living in a swing state) is that not everyone's vote matters come election day, particularly when it concerns the presidency. This, again, is part of the reason attacking people based on who they voted for nine months ago is pretty stupid.

The problem is I bet you encouraged other people to vote third party as well, and some of other people lived in battleground states.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

oh nevermind I said mean words so clearly I hate black people

Also not what was said, friend

in your rush to be offended by those goddamn idpol-users you have, again, picked up the cudgel and smashed yourself in the face with it.

your goals are still laudable. you are still a worthwhile ally. your heart is in the right place, you just get too into defending your beliefs and say some stupid poo poo. we merely ask you to stop trying to play more-idpol-than-thou, because you are not good at it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

yronic heroism posted:

Why do you act so assured that these would be the exact type of justice appointed by a democrat when the four on the court you admit lean left?

Because that's all you can get through a republican congress you dolt. We've covered this already.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

sorry, i missed the democratic part of your post. no, the dem picks are not extremely conservative

yronic heroism posted:

cause obama appointed merrick garland, a republican (and charitably, a centrist)? this is some extremely fundamental stuff yronic. obama is centre-left and he appointed "centrist" merrick garland. hillary is centrist and i do not believe she'd appoint someone that's not a centrist (she couldn't even bring herself to support $15/hr :lol:)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Ze Pollack posted:

we merely ask you to stop trying to play more-idpol-than-thou, because you are not good at it.

this but to every poster who comes in here with this sort of poo poo:

yronic heroism posted:

Since a big part of this thread is immune to irony: the thread only talks about slaves when it's a convenient hobby horse. Of course if actual minorities were to come in and talk about their concerns let alone why they choose to vote rather than just whine on a podcast, suddenly a great mass of white dudes would have a lot of opinions about identity politics that they'd need to express.

Here's an idea Ze Pollack, why don't you substantiate the idea that I'm "pretending to care about minority concerns" instead of actually caring like... you? That's a pretty big accusation in my book.

lol at falling back to "we're merely asking you to stop trying to play more-idpol-than-thou" after you play "you're faking your concern for minorities"

you're drat right I'm your ally because I'm actually fighting for what we believe in instead of sitting on the sidelines trying to make the most calculated possible moves possible to do the bare minimum possible

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 26, 2017

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

NewForumSoftware posted:

Here's an idea Ze Pollack, why don't you substantiate the idea that I'm "pretending to care about minority concerns" instead of actually caring like... you? That's a pretty big accusation in my book.

lol at falling back to "we're merely asking you to stop trying to play more-idpol-than-thou" after you play "you're faking your concern for minorities"

How about regarding the ban on trans people in the military announced today:

NewForumSoftware posted:

This is basically "HIRE MORE PRISON GUARDS". Who the gently caress wants the "right" to join the military that's a goddamn joke. Either way, I don't support that and voting for Hillary wouldn't have changed it. hth

Yeah, it's a stupid loving thing that Trump is doing just to distract from the healthcare discussion, but let's not pretend you actually give a poo poo about trans people with that "voting for Hillary wouldn't have changed it" bit at the end, which is utter bullshit.

You're so focused on "Hillary is worse than Trump" that you've backed yourself into a corner and look like a fool.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 26, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Yeah, it's a stupid loving thing that Trump is doing just to distract from the healthcare discussion, but let's not pretend you actually give a poo poo about trans people with that "voting for Hillary wouldn't have changed it" bit at the end, which is utter bullshit.

Uhh it absolutely is not bullshit, no amount of votes for Hillary in blue states was going to win it for her.

this is exactly what I mean by people just being ignorant of how the voting system works.

voting Hillary in California literally accomplishes nothing, there is no reason not to vote third party there

but here we go again with "you don't give a poo poo about trans people or you would have piled another vote for hillary in california" get over yourself you self-righteous dingus

your vote didn't do poo poo, trump is president and the only people at fault are the DNC

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You're so focused on "Hillary is worse than Trump" that you've backed yourself into a corner and look like a fool.

the fact that she is in several ways is just the sort of :discourse: that the DNC delivered this election cycle

trust me, I wish the DNC didn't run a poo poo candidate more than you do, it's not my fault they didn't. It's not Call me Charlie's fault, hell, it's barely Hillary's fault. Hillary is going to Hillary, the DNC just backed the wrong horse. Bernie was better re: minority concerns than Hillary and no amount of crying over Trump is going to change that. Hate the DNC for selling out minorities, not third party voters.

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 26, 2017

dox
Mar 4, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

you are very focused on saying someone else is wrong without saying why

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Except he's explicitly said that's not the case multiple times in the last few pages, I think.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
tbqh everyone should be banned from joining the military

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

WampaLord posted:

The problem is I bet you encouraged other people to vote third party as well, and some of other people lived in battleground states.

"The problem is you MIGHT have done X?"

I enjoy your posts both here and in other threads, but this doesn't hold up. The discourse here is wearing thin, which is a far worse thing than being 'uncivil'.

Let's turn it around.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

NewForumSoftware posted:

tbqh everyone should be banned from joining the military

Do you support a full, unilateral disarmament by the US? It's an interesting idea, but seems rather impractical, both politically in the US and on the world stage; geopolitics will still be played.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793404&userid=219367&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post465310428

NewForumsSoftware, third party voting thread, october 13th 2016 posted:

She's not calling me a Trump supporter, she's talking to me like I am one. I would vote Hillary if I lived in a battleground state, I don't disagree she's the most progressive option. But that's a far cry from Hillary being a leftist or there being no legitimate complaints from progressives, as she's said many times.

Yes, I can afford to compromise, my state isn't going red. I'm really sorry if you live in a state where you have to vote blue to stop the rise of white nationalism but that is not every person in America.

You know for how much ya'll obsess over my posts you don't seem to read them all that much.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

She either doesn't know how amendments work, especially in a world where republicans control the majority of state houses, or she's just paying lip service to it. Either way, that's really bad, almost 100% bad!

More realistically she would be willing to pass an amendment but it would only cover "dark and unaccountable" money in politics. Open corruption would be A-OK. That's the dodge I see the centrists using these days anyhow.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793404&userid=219367&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post465310428

You know for how much ya'll obsess over my posts you don't seem to read them all that much.

That's fair, I apologize.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Rappaport posted:

Do you support a full, unilateral disarmament by the US? It's an interesting idea, but seems rather impractical, both politically in the US and on the world stage; geopolitics will still be played.

Honestly I was joking but I'm about as anti-interventionist as you can get. Obviously there's still going to be a military and yeah, obviously we shouldn't exclude transgendered individuals from being included. That being said, we should end pretty much all foreign intervention that involves bombing people. Drop food, not bombs. The amount of financial resources we pour into murdering innocent third worlders is astounding.

You know how much cheaper it would be to just move Syrian refugees here? Hell one of my favorite places to eat where I live is a Syrian food truck and I say their cuisine is good enough without having another reason to assimilate them

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 26, 2017

B B
Dec 1, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Snark all you want. We know how each party's Supreme Court nominees come down on these issues. And you know that's what's being discussed. The virtue of the person doing the appointing is not relevant to who gets appointed.

Wikipedia posted:

In March 2010, the Court of Appeals expressly applied the precedent set by Citizens United v. FEC in its ruling in SpeechNOW, a case involving a non-profit organization that sought to (a) accept contributions in excess of $5000 from individual contributors (not corporations) for the exclusive purpose of running independent expenditures (IEs), and (b) not register as a political committee or be subject to PAC reporting requirements. SpeechNOW.org argued that, because it would not make any candidate contributions and would only make independent expenditures, it was a violation of both its and its donors’ free speech rights to require SpeechNOW to register, report, and be subject to contribution limits.

In upholding the registration requirements, the Court held that “Disclosure requirements also burden First Amendment interests because ‘compelled disclosure, in itself, can seriously infringe on privacy of association and belief.’ Buckley.[8] However, in contrast with limiting a person’s ability to spend money on political speech, disclosure requirements ‘impose no ceiling on campaign-related activities’ id., and ‘do not prevent anyone from speaking.’ McConnell v FEC, 540 US at 201.”[9]

However, the Court, following the Citizens United holding that independent expenditures do not create actual or apparent quid pro quo corruption, found that applying limits to contributions for independent expenditures would violate the First Amendment rights of SpeechNOW.org and its donors. The Court held that SpeechNOW.org was entitled to accept unlimited contributions from individuals for IEs, but also stated “we only decide these questions as applied to contributions to SpeechNOW, an independent expenditure-only group. Our holding does not affect ... limits on direct contributions to candidates.”[10]

The result laid down two core rules. First, an organization formed to accept contributions and make independent expenditures must register as a political committee under the same regime as any other PAC. Second, such an IE-only committee is entitled to accept unlimited contributions from individuals. When coupled with Citizens United, however, the case by implication also suggested that corporations and unions may contribute unlimited amounts to Independent Expenditure only PACs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_finance_evolution_in_2010#SpeechNOW.org_v_FEC

Merrick Garland was on this court and joined in this decision.

B B fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 26, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Not to throw shade on painstaking wikipedia but that tells me nothing about how Garland would rule on overturning Citizens United on the Supreme Court. It only tells me he applied the law as the Supreme Court determined it. Which is what almost all lower court judges would do.

Also, the only reason we have Citizens United in the first place is because of Republican appointed justices. I think they should not be elected so they don't appoint more. And I'm actually willing to vote and encourage others to vote rather than sit on my rear end.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 26, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

yronic heroism posted:

That tells me nothing about how Garland would rule on overturning Citizens United on the Supreme Court. It only tells me he applied the law as the Supreme Court determined it. Which is what almost all lower court judges would do.
So I agree this doesn't say a lot, but you claimed:

yronic heroism posted:

Snark all you want. We know how each party's Supreme Court nominees come down on these issues. And you know that's what's being discussed. The virtue of the person doing the appointing is not relevant to who gets appointed.
If we're not using how he ruled in previous related cases to know how he comes down on these issues, what are we using?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

That tells me nothing about how Garland would rule on overturning Citizens United on the Supreme Court. It only tells me he applied the law as the Supreme Court determined it. Which is what almost all lower court judges would do.

Also, the only reason we have Citizens United in the first place is because of Republican appointed justices. I think they should not be elected so they don't appoint more. And I'm actually willing to vote and encourage others to vote rather than sit on my rear end.

That's cool. Are you also willing to work towards removing the current dem establishment from their positions within the party? Because their continued incompetence is the number one reason why republicans keep getting elected right now.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

If you mean do I want new leadership at the DNC/House/Senate. And I always said Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate. Do I want to primary every Senator? No. There's other ways of pushing the party.

twodot posted:

So I agree this doesn't say a lot, but you claimed:

If we're not using how he ruled in previous related cases to know how he comes down on these issues, what are we using?

There is a lot of research on judicial ideology based on voting patterns. Unsurprisingly, on left/right ideology Garland is basically another Breyer, and Gorsuch is to the right of even Scalia.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

If you mean do I want new leadership at the DNC/House/Senate. And I always said Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate. Do I want to primary every Senator? No. There's other ways of pushing the party.

There is a lot of research on judicial ideology based on voting patterns. Unsurprisingly, on left/right ideology Garland is basically another Breyer, and Gorsuch is to the right of even Scalia.

i'd say the dems who voted to confirm gorsuch would make a good initial list of dems deserving a primary then wouldn't you?

though really the entire leadership needs replaced, cause dems practically gave away that sc seat

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Condiv posted:

i'd say the dems who voted to confirm gorsuch would make a good initial list of dems deserving a primary then wouldn't you?

though really the entire leadership needs replaced, cause dems practically gave away that sc seat

Pelosi, Feinstein, and Booker get added to that list please. Probably even Schumer.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Ytlaya posted:

NFS was being stupid, Trump is obviously worse than Hillary when it comes to race and is responsible for more exploitation of minorities than she is due to his businesses.

Then again, Clinton does have that whole thing about basically loving over the whole of Haiti by directing funds meant for reconstruction into things like making a sweatshop complex for use by US based multi-nationals, while also actively working to suppress a raise in their pitiful minimum wage to something slightly less pitiful while Secretary of State. Also directing said funds to build a hotel for wealthy people whilst people were still living in actual ruins.

While Trump is bad in his exploitation of labor, I'm not sure he's quite up to the level of disaster relief profiteering.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 26, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Owning a bunch of businesses that may or may not incidentially exploit minorities as part of their operations is a whole lot different from specifically loving over a country hit by a disaster to fill your own pockets.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I don't care who gets primaried but in the general I will not apologize for voting to keep the seat from going to some Tea Party crazy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

I don't care who gets primaried but in the general I will not apologize for voting to keep the seat from going R. When
Rs get in, they just entrench themselves and make any progress that much more difficult.

:agreed: we should stop voting for republicans who pretend they're democrats like manchin. they're making progress that much more difficult

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

I don't care who gets primaried but in the general I will not apologize for voting to keep the seat from going R. When
Rs get in, they just entrench themselves and make any progress that much more difficult.

That's fine, a lot of people ITT have that mentality, and the whole vote shame stuff has really only flared up one way (not voting Clinton/Quist/Ossoff/Whoever's blue).

Manchin and Lieberman have been exceptions, but even then most people have the 2017 GE to see where yelling at people for voting X or not voting gets you.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ugh its Troika posted:

Owning a bunch of businesses that may or may not incidentially exploit minorities as part of their operations is a whole lot different from specifically loving over a country hit by a disaster to fill your own pockets.

It's morbidly humorous that Haiti was a nation founded by a slave rebellion.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

:agreed: we should stop voting for republicans who pretend they're democrats like manchin. they're making progress that much more difficult

What would be better if his GOP opponent in 2012 won?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yronic heroism posted:

What makes you think primarying him is equivalent to giving the seat to the GOP?

Let me guess "west virginians are genetically centrist and will never accept someone who wants good things, even if they won the democratic primary"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

well, i don't see how one GOP candidate is better than the other. i was thinking more like running a democrat to take over manchin's seat though

• Locked thread