Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Willo567 posted:

Just to be clear, people thought he was talking about striking North Korea because of his first tweet, right?

I know we're all scarred of Trump with nukes, but why are we worrying NOW about it? Especially since that wasn't what he was leading into

We're worrying now because the Pentagon found the likelihood of Trump ordering military action over Twitter to be actually worth consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

There's no legal oversight on the President's authority wrt to nukes. There are multiple human steps where people could potentially defy him.

The odds of Trump remembering the briefing he got 6 months ago about how to initiate a nuclear strike are very low. Unless he has some of his crazier staff members around to help guide him through the probably very simple procedures, the adults in the room can drag their feet long enough for him to see something that infuriates him on TV and he'll be too busy tweeting to worry about nukes.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

Attack Japan getting 20% will never not be funny as hell

I love that they have the exact same obsession with bubble fonts and color absolutely everywhere on their TV graphics that Japanese TV does. They have a lot more in common than they think culture wise and I'm not just talking about the obession with teen idol clone groups.

At least no side has tried to invade the other in a few generations now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

my favorite poll

That 20% who want to attack Japan are amazing. Playing the long game on their WWII revenge.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Nuclear Secrecy blog has, among other cool stuff, articles that go into the US chain of command about nuclear weapons. Recommended reading.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Kale posted:

I love that they have the exact same obsession with bubble fonts and color absolutely everywhere on their TV graphics that Japanese TV does. They have a lot more in common than they think culture wise and I'm not just talking about the obession with teen idol clone groups.

At least no side has tried to invade the other in a few generations now.

That IS a Japanese TV show.

smh when peeps can't distinguish east asian text

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kale posted:

uh this graphic is from a japanese tv show reporting on a survey with korean respondents

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

When is the next Senate vote, they are currently in a quorum call

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

Is there a threshold Trump could cross to where when he orders a nuclear strike the military holds off and waits for someone else to confirm it first?

When Nixon was looking down the barrel of impeachment and drinking heavily his SecDef quietly spread the word to ignore any launch orders from Nixon. One can only hope Mattis has has some similar private conversations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

axeil posted:

That 20% who want to attack Japan are amazing. Playing the long game on their WWII revenge.

Korean/Japanese beef stretches back like two millennia worth of conflict. WWII is just another drop in the ocean.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Willo567 posted:

Just to be clear, people thought he was talking about striking North Korea because of his first tweet, right?

I know we're all scarred of Trump with nukes, but why are we worrying NOW about it? Especially since that wasn't what he was leading into

It's not so much as a nuke issue. It's a there was a nine minute delay between tweets where no one in the military knew what the gently caress was happening. That part two could have easily been "we're declaring war on Mexico for its very bad and sad refusal to pay for the border wall"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Stop asking questions about the transgender tweets! Don't make me have to turn this briefing around!"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rappaport posted:

The Nuclear Secrecy blog has, among other cool stuff, articles that go into the US chain of command about nuclear weapons. Recommended reading.

Command and Control is very pro-read if you want to poo poo your pants in terror at how cavalier everyone was/is about nukes.

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Control-Damascus-Accident-Illusion/dp/0143125788

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Rappaport posted:

Unless you want to sleep at night that is, because it always boils down to "the President has complete authority because during the Cold War the fear was crazy Generals, not crazy Presidents"

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Voting starting on the 2015 repeal redux

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/890282258950758401

I too remember the story of how Seal Team Six had to repeatedly stop hunting Bin Laden so that their trans member could do something trans-y.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:siren: Vote Alert :siren:

This is the 2015 repeal, I think. Expected to fail badly.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

So not only can Trump dictate US policy via Twitter, but he can also use it to raise the DEFCON level.

Cool country

Tarezax posted:

That IS a Japanese TV show.

smh when peeps can't distinguish east asian text

Look there's a lot going on today what can I say...normally I'd pick up on the difference and the graphics should have again been my first clue

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 26, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Willo567 posted:

I mean, for starters, it seems like he's willing to enact huge policy changes based on stupid misunderstandings of conversations he had the day before.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The gently caress out of here with that, Bigot Grimace.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Alright

https://twitter.com/SenatePress/status/890244337879134208

https://twitter.com/SenatePress/status/890289894790238208

So this first vote is again procedural about waiving Byrd for elements of the amendment. It will need 60.

After that is a vote on the rest of the amendment (Repeal on two year timeframe). It will need 50.

After that is the Donnelly motion which is, iirc,, to send the bill back to committee. It needs 51

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

farraday posted:

Alright

https://twitter.com/SenatePress/status/890244337879134208

https://twitter.com/SenatePress/status/890289894790238208

So this first vote is again procedural about waiving Byrd for elements of the amendment. It will need 60.

After that is a vote on the rest of the amendment (Repeal on two year timeframe). It will need 50.

After that is the Donnelly motion which is, iirc,, to send the bill back to committee. It needs 51

So we actually want the 3rd vote to pass, which is unlikely.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If Trump really made some bone-headed decision about nukes wouldn't the generals say sure thing, then immediately call up Pence and say hey let's avoid a messy coup and just all agree you're President now? Then they could tell Trump he has to oversee the coming war from a special command bunker so they get him on Military One then just drop him off at Trump Tower in New York.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

davebo posted:

If Trump really made some bone-headed decision about nukes wouldn't the generals say sure thing, then immediately call up Pence and say hey let's avoid a messy coup and just all agree you're President now? Then they could tell Trump he has to oversee the coming war from a special command bunker so they get him on Military One then just drop him off at Trump Tower in New York.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Heller, Capito no

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

davebo posted:

Lol Drop him off at Trump Tower? There's a reason why coups don't let the deposed leader live.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

axeil posted:

Japan's occupations and rape of Korea go back way further than WW2. This animosity is hundreds of years old.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Collins, Capito, Heller all nos on Byrd waver.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Will congress pass the wildly unpopular bill and stick it to the American public again. Stay tuned. I pray that one day you guys will be able to just do things like I did today and register for my government funded blood test online that I need without some rear end in a top hat trying to take it away because of a beef with his predecessor in government.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

1st vote has already failed. Second vote will be more important, only needs 50, but expected to fail.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

1st vote has already failed. Second vote will be more important, only needs 50, but expected to fail.

They said that about the motion to proceed though

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kale posted:

No they didn't.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Rigel posted:

I'm gonna have to take that back.

It looks like they skipped the Byrd waiver and are voting directly on the Amendment? Cspan doesn't think this is procedural and

https://twitter.com/SenatePress/status/890296431466229761

In any case with 3 nos (4 McCain just voted no) it fails.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

:siren: McCain's tumor voted no :siren:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No they didn't.

Then why was everybody so surprised and literally saying it was impossible as of like a couple days ago before Heller flip flopped cause Trump scary apparently. I mean yeah it needed a tie breaker but I don't remember anyone besides me thinking it had a chance of being opened for debate.e

E: McCain no. Can't wait for mad trump to demonize him on twitter by dinner time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow McCain no.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

McCain grew a spine I guess. Too little too late.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kale posted:

Who is "they"? On the day of the vote, we believed they may have 50.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

Wow McCain no.

Didn't we know he was going to do that? He's voting for cutting the individual mandate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kale posted:

Then why was everybody so surprised and literally saying it was impossible as of like a couple days ago before Heller flip flopped cause Trump scary apparently. I mean yeah it needed a tie breaker but I don't remember anyone besides me thinking it had a chance of being opened for debate.

Everyone was pretty sure it was going to pass as soon as we knew that McCain was going to drag his rear end out of the hospital. Murkowski was the only chance at a third no.

• Locked thread