Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Unmature posted:

I considered that one and the two other related films, but Beladonna just finally made it to blu ray.

You need to watch Belladonna of Sadness if you're into artsy animation. It's a very unpleasant movie, but I consider it absolutely essential at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pentaro posted:

E: Allegro non troppo.

Seconding this. A wonderfully inventive work that's sadly still lacking a Blu-ray release.

Another film I'd love to have available in high-quality is the 1957 Soviet adaptation of The Snow Queen.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You need to watch Belladonna of Sadness if you're into artsy animation. It's a very unpleasant movie, but I consider it absolutely essential at the same time.

:yeah:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Unmature posted:

What am I missing on this list. I need to watch more artsy fartsy animation https://youtu.be/etFyANzOkxY

Maugli https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EARPtxqdWOE

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
June Foray died.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Bimmi posted:

June Foray died.

:( 99 is a hell of a number to go out on.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Bimmi posted:

June Foray died.

I knew this day would come eventually, but always secretly hoped it never would. Her last credit on IMDB was only three years ago too, so she never stopped working.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Pretty sure she was the last living link to the Looney Tunes glory days. Sucks.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Imagine the stories she could've told about working in that age of animation, and to just call her the female Mel Blanc seriously undersells her talents.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
She's got an autobiography:

https://www.amazon.com/Did-You-Grow-Too-Autobiography/dp/1593934610

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Reviews for The Emoji Movie are coming in and surprising no one, they are extremely poor.

E: With 17 reviews, it's making its RT debut at a whopping ZERO.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 27, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
"The Emoji Movie is almost as bad and brutally depressing as everything else in 2017."

"Lacks humor, wit, ideas, visual style, compelling performances, a point of view or any other distinguishing characteristic that would make it anything but a complete waste of your time."

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
speaking of Sony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVgQuZf5o1M

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also according to the review I read, PatStew has like 6 lines in the entire movie, so this was pretty much entirely him in the studio for an hour and cashing a check.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Critics say Emoji Movie is bad. Let the KIDS watch what they want.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Also according to the review I read, PatStew has like 6 lines in the entire movie, so this was pretty much entirely him in the studio for an hour and cashing a check.

I figured that from the trailer. He looked like an inconsequential character.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

"The Emoji Movie is almost as bad and brutally depressing as everything else in 2017."

"Lacks humor, wit, ideas, visual style, compelling performances, a point of view or any other distinguishing characteristic that would make it anything but a complete waste of your time."

"Sony Pictures Animation’s big new blockbuster has represented something very positive since the start of this summer movie season: hope. Specifically, the hope that — for 90 beautiful minutes — Hollywood would spirit us away to a cinematic world that was somehow actually worse than real life. What a gift it would be in July 2017 to leave the multiplex and actually come up on our way back to reality, to feel the faint nausea of ascension for the first time all year and be reminded that it’s still possible for things to get better."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

how much money did they throw at the cast alone? What am I saying, I'm sure they mostly said yes because it's Christian and a comedy, the paychecks probably aren't as high as I think.

Which studio brought us Storks again?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Aces High posted:

how much money did they throw at the cast alone? What am I saying, I'm sure they mostly said yes because it's Christian and a comedy, the paychecks probably aren't as high as I think.

Warner Bros

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hopefully now we'll be spared from the Dank Meme Movie in 2021.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Or like, fuckin, the Youtube Movie.

What if your videos were alive! "Oh I wanna be the most viewed video, that's my dream. Oh look there go the popular kids" (a group of cute cat videos go past)

(Ambulance sirens) "What's going on?" "That video over there is going viral! Quick quarantine him!!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Or like, fuckin, the Youtube Movie.

What if your videos were alive! "Oh I wanna be the most viewed video, that's my dream. Oh look there go the popular kids" (a group of cute cat videos go past)

(Ambulance sirens) "What's going on?" "That video over there is going viral! Quick quarantine him!!"

Starrin' Pewdiepie's racist rear end.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

Starrin' Pewdiepie's racist rear end.

Is the movie self-aware enough to make him the villain?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Is the movie self-aware enough to make him the villain?

He would voice the villain but it's Jake Paul instead.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Sony Pictures Animation’s big new blockbuster has represented something very positive since the start of this summer movie season: hope. Specifically, the hope that — for 90 beautiful minutes — Hollywood would spirit us away to a cinematic world that was somehow actually worse than real life. What a gift it would be in July 2017 to leave the multiplex and actually come up on our way back to reality, to feel the faint nausea of ascension for the first time all year and be reminded that it’s still possible for things to get better."

lmao drat

see, the emoji movie did manage to bring some joy to this transient world

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Aces High posted:

Storks was good

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
The Emoji Movie, bar none, is the worst film I've ever seen in a movie theater. It's a thinly disguised ad for smartphones and apps (I counted 10 apps getting significant screentime, eight of them directly impacting the plot) aimed at children. If you ask questions I'll get around to them tomorrow, but I got drunk so I'd forget I was dumb enough to see The Emoji Movie, so I'm useless tonight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ugh, I hope the advertising for the apps didn't fund the entire production.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So it's basically FoodFight 2.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Emoji Movie: not only is it so terrible that it's ok to be on your phone through the whole movie, you'll probably get the full experience of the movie by doing that anyway!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
This is the only sort of thing that can really bring out a sadistic streak in me.
Suffer well, friends. :getin:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh god it's coming out on my birthday in Australia. Welp, guess what will be my present to me from me.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yes, let's all go to the theatre to support this stupid crap

No, don't

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Testekill posted:

Oh god it's coming out on my birthday in Australia. Welp, guess what will be my present to me from me.

Please buy a ticket for a different movie.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Macaluso posted:

Storks was good

Storks was good, but I meant that question more because the animation style for The Star looks very familiar

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Only tangentially related to animation, but old-school Imagineering god Marty Sklar has passed through his final turnstile and is now plussing scenes in Heaven.

Bad week to be a Disney legend.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
is there an angry birds cameo?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Schwarzwald posted:

is there an angry birds cameo?

The Mobile Device Expanded Universe :getin:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Last I heard, the movie is at least doing mediocre at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wdarkk posted:

When was the first time Batman dangled a guy off a ledge for information? I feel like that's something that he's done for a long-rear end time.

Robindaybird posted:

Probably since at least the 80s, and in those cases, you know he'd never drop the guy, while AK - I keep feeling like that Batman would just crush a guy's skull under his car.

I looked it up, he hung a guy out a skyscraper window to force a confession out of him in Detective Comics #28 1939 which was only the second Batman story ever published. :v: