Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

there absolutely are speed limits in the air, what are you talking about

There are areas where there are speedlimits. There isn't a general speed limit. What are you talking about?

anthonypants posted:

bypassing faa related drone settings sounds like bypassing fcc related radio settings

If you are outside of FCC controlled "airspace" like most of the US up to 1200ft AGL is outside of FAA controlled airspace, then yea it would be similar. However FAA and FCC controlled airspace aren't the same. In fact beyond both being federal agencies, they aren't really comparable at all.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

please show me a drone that can break the sound barrier then we can have this discussion

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hell what drone can go above the 120mph take off speed of the average aircraft

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea it's a red herring when discussing drone regulations. But the greater point is that the software of a piloted drone isn't the correct place to put enforcement mechanisms.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

There are areas where there are speedlimits. There isn't a general speed limit. What are you talking about?

If you are outside of FCC controlled "airspace" like most of the US up to 1200ft AGL is outside of FAA controlled airspace, then yea it would be similar. However FAA and FCC controlled airspace aren't the same. In fact beyond both being federal agencies, they aren't really comparable at all.

in absence of other applicable restrictions the speed limit below 10,000ft asl is 250kias. class b airspace is 200kias

the FAA claims jurisdiction on everything that's above the ground, likewise the FCC has jurisdiction over the entire EM spectrum

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

iirc civilian GPS devices also have altitude/speed lockouts so you can't use em to build missiles

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's open sores implementations of gps though, which allow you to remove any lockouts super easily :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

vOv posted:

iirc civilian GPS devices also have altitude/speed lockouts so you can't use em to build missiles

government :argh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

there's open sores implementations of gps though, which allow you to remove any lockouts super easily :v:

there's also radio firmware you can flash that will let you violate FCC limits. you still need those limits in software to sell the things in the US without a giant "FOR DEVELOPMENT ONLY" sticker on it

all of that said, the specific speed and height limits on dji's drones are probably to limit the number that break

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

vOv posted:

sure, but those limits are impossible to reach for almost anything other than missiles. not really comparable to a limit that a cheap drone can hit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

maskenfreiheit posted:

i look forward to a future where we are sedated, stripped naked, and stacked like cordwood when flying

As a tall person, this would actually be a significant improvement. At least then my legs would be unfurled and I wouldn't have to sit through the flight.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, you are not. you would land too rapidly etc, and regulators have their own opinions on it all too

It's probably easier for them to be able to say that they're self regulating than to have the FAA decide that drones constantly appearing in class B airspace buzzing the tower really isn't worth the hassle and to ban them all.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why the gently caress does a drone have software with speed/altitude limits? Am I flying the thing or not?

They have limits so that your idiot rear end doesn't fly your dumb drone around airports causing incidents with real planes flown by real pilots.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Yea it's a red herring when discussing drone regulations. But the greater point is that the software of a piloted drone isn't the correct place to put enforcement mechanisms.

if DJI's geo system was 100% functional and instant and no more of a hassle than the paperwork you already have to put in with the FAA to operate in an NFZ, commercially, then I'd be fine, as spankmeister mentioned.

but it isn't. Its delayed and you have no way of checking whether it went through until you're on site. Some of the closer areas to an airport are an extreme hassle to get unlocked, and have to have a human involved (and some are impossible, even if you have the clearance). The maps are getting better but theres still erroneous data and non existent airports in the databases. Theres also several legal cases for exceeding the max height limit on any of their products (500m, set to 120 by default).

They still haven't updated their nfzs to reflect the most recent change in drone regs in canada, for example. Large portions of canada land cant be taken off from because of an earlier extreme restriction set a few months ago (this has been reduced significantly in the past two week?)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 26, 2017

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

spankmeister posted:

They have limits so that your idiot rear end doesn't fly your dumb drone around airports causing incidents with real planes flown by real pilots.

Basically. If you disable the safeguards or the the safeguards fail it's still on you as the operator. Same as if you built your own drone.

It's just easier for the company in terms of PR and liability to automatically mitigate the 99% of idiots who don't know or care about firmware hacking.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fyi, manufacturers limit GPS performance so as to not exceed the limits defined in the MTCR annex (https://www.state.gov/t/avc/trty/187155.htm):

quote:

Item 11 - Category II

Avionics equipment, "technology" and components as follows; designed or modified for use in the systems in Item 1, and specially designed software therefor:

(a) Radar and laser radar systems, including altimeters;

(b) Passive sensors for determining bearings to specific electromagnetic sources (direction finding equipment) or terrain characteristics;

(c) Global Positioning System (GPS) or similar satellite receivers;

(1) Capable of providing navigation information under the following operational conditions;

(i) At speeds in excess of 515 m/sec (1,000 nautical miles/hour); and

(ii) At altitudes in excess of 18 km (60,000 feet); or

if your hardware can operate in excess of those limits then it is not considered dual-use and is effectively a missile system which makes it subject to arms manufacturing/export rules and non-proliferation treaties. you'd probably end up in very serious trouble if you produced such a system in the US without a defence contract

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
:tinfoil: solution

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I can't believe it took this long for something like this to get pieced together

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
the entirety of DC and outer suburbs is under a permanent circular 40 mile diameter no fly zone "Special Security Reasons Area A, FRZ C", if you're a drone fan and want to play around near this city you get to hack some firmware

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

patriot pac-3 has drone shoot-down capability within a very broad altitude envelope. you better be packing some badass ruskie EW/traditional countermeasures fdriend

fake edit: holy lol, this bit from the patriot wiki article is a proper fuckup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot#Failure_at_Dhahran):

quote:

A government investigation revealed that the failed intercept at Dhahran had been caused by a software error in the system's handling of timestamps.[46][47] The Patriot missile battery at Dhahran had been in operation for 100 hours, by which time the system's internal clock had drifted by one-third of a second. Due to the missile's speed this was equivalent to a miss distance of 600 meters.

The radar system had successfully detected the Scud and predicted where to look for it next. However, the timestamps of the two radar pulses being compared were converted to floating point differently: one correctly, the other introducing an error proportionate to the operation time so far (100 hours) caused by the truncation in a 24-bit fixed-point register. As a result, the difference between the pulses was wrong, so the system looked in the wrong part of the sky and found no target. With no target, the initial detection was assumed to be a spurious track and the missile was removed from the system.[48] No interception was attempted, and the Scud impacted on a makeshift barracks in an Al Khobar warehouse, killing 28 soldiers, the first Americans to be killed from the Scuds that Iraq had launched against Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

cheese-cube posted:

patriot pac-3 has drone shoot-down capability within a very broad altitude envelope. you better be packing some badass ruskie EW/traditional countermeasures fdriend

fake edit: holy lol, this bit from the patriot wiki article is a proper fuckup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot#Failure_at_Dhahran):

And as always, it was user error.

quote:

Two weeks earlier, on February 11, 1991, the Israelis had identified the problem and informed the U.S. Army and the PATRIOT Project Office, the software manufacturer.[46] As a stopgap measure, the Israelis had recommended rebooting the system's computers regularly. The manufacturer supplied updated software to the Army on February 26.

The rest of the Wikipedia article doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, listing a number of misses, and instances of drones being missed.

There's a number of anti-drone weapons, including lasers, being developed and actively used. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the near future with them.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i was semi-joking about using patriot for drone shoot-down. sure, it has the capability (allegedly) but it certainly is not cost effective. also unless something has changed the patriot SOP is to fire 2 missiles at each target which is kind of insane against a drone, especially in any urban setting (sure the second missile is sent a self-destruct command if the first missile takes out the target but it's still dangerous).

IMO for anti-drone systems we'll probably just see existing naval CIWS (US phalanx, russian kashtan/pantsir-m) deployed on land. anything that is a drone and can get past a modern CIWS battery isn't a drone, it's a cruise missile.

e: just to clarify i'm talking about drones that aren't capable of stand-off engagement or engagement beyond line-of-sight. pretty much anything not made by raytheon or GA i guess...

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 26, 2017

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Bhodi posted:

the entirety of DC and outer suburbs is under a permanent circular 40 mile diameter no fly zone "Special Security Reasons Area A, FRZ C", if you're a drone fan and want to play around near this city you get to hack some firmware

the best is it technically applies indoors. gala someone i know was organizing wanted to fly a drone around one of the larger hotels taking pics and one of the staff attorneys was like yeahhh thats... not allowed

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

the best is it technically applies indoors. gala someone i know was organizing wanted to fly a drone around one of the larger hotels taking pics and one of the staff attorneys was like yeahhh thats... not allowed

The faa does not regulate airspace indoors, you got goofed (unless this is some sort of lame rear end super special no fly zones)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

afaik it's only enforced via technical means, as in the manufacturers are selling drones with firmware that says "do not take-off if you're inside these coords"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://security.gerhardt.link/RCE-in-Factorio/

Factorio is a very popular multiplayer factory management and automation game. It supports modification though the use of Lua scripts. For security and determinism (in a multiplayer game all clients process the game state separately, any client difference would result in desyncronization and crashing) access to certain Lua core libraries is disabled. This includes OS, debug and package. Factorio supports a Lua REPL that can be used by administrative users in multiplayer games and will also autorun Lua provided by the server on joining in a less widely used system called “scenarios”.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Factorio is a very popular multiplayer factory management and automation game. It supports modification though the use of Lua scripts. For security and determinism (in a multiplayer game all clients process the game state separately, any client difference would result in desyncronization and crashing) access to certain Lua core libraries is disabled. This includes OS, debug and package. Factorio supports a Lua REPL that can be used by administrative users in multiplayer games and will also autorun Lua provided by the server on joining in a less widely used system called “scenarios”.

Finally, a bigger gently caress up in Factorio than my base layout!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

don't care. factorio rules

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hell what drone can go above the 120mph take off speed of the average aircraft

Racing drones started doing this not too long ago, the record holder was clocked at 160+, but is said to be capable of near 180.

http://fortune.com/2017/07/14/fastest-drone-guinness-world-record/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pretty great timeline considering game devs

2017-07-21: I revisited the issue and found an exploit vector, issue reported.
14 hours later: I’m informed the issue has been patched and the patch will be included in the next release.
2017-07-25: Patch released, I confirmed the vulnerability has been fixed. The

Jewel
May 2, 2009

christ, amazon :laffo:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Vivier/status/890303417293209601

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

not actually amazon, just a scammer pretending to be:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Vivier/status/890304520105762816

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just looks like a regular scam message?

e: fb

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think factorio is made by a goon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think factorio is made by a goon

not last i checked, no, the team doesn't have any sa members on it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gmod had some similar issues with lua scripting; connecting to the wrong server in the browser could get you Hella Virus'd

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

not last i checked, no, the team doesn't have any sa members on it

lol the fuckin sa member directory oracle checking in here or some poo poo. a shittier fishmech

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cheese-cube posted:

lol the fuckin sa member directory oracle checking in here or some poo poo. a shittier fishmech

v:smith:v

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

pretty great timeline considering game devs

2017-07-21: I revisited the issue and found an exploit vector, issue reported.
14 hours later: I’m informed the issue has been patched and the patch will be included in the next release.
2017-07-25: Patch released, I confirmed the vulnerability has been fixed. The

the factorio devs seem uncommonly professional, like they have a proper CI setup and everything

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the factorio devs seem uncommonly professional, like they have a proper CI setup and everything

yeah their dev blog makes them seem like some of the most competent game devs ever, especially consider that it started off like a $20k kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

factorio is a great game made by great dudes and i hope they keep making cool + good poo poo

• Locked thread