Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I bought a $300 foam mattress on amazon and when it was too firm a layered a 2 inch topper on top of it. Works for me.

Mattresses are such a scam, their profit margins are absolutely insane. There's no reason to pay more than a thousand dollars for a mattress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lady Gaza posted:

~25L backpack recommendations? I need it for two purposes: mainly carrying my 13" laptop, gym kit and lunch to/from work and also for when I go travelling as a day pack.

It therefore needs:
-laptop sleeve
-some organisation to it, at least a main and a front pocket, but more compartments useful to put my shoes/food/camera/guidebook etc in
-bottle holder
-decent zips
-a mix of smart/plain for work, and functional for travelling; a lot of backpacks I've seen are way too smart to take travelling or too hiker/'tactical' to be used for daily commuting

Amazon or shops available in the UK would be great.

What is your budget

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

The North Face has like dozens of packs that fit this category

Yes I've seen a bunch on various sites but am kind of overwhelmed by choice which is why I'm asking for recommendations

signalnoise posted:

What is your budget

Can't believe I didn't post that. Max £100 but ideally ~£60

Lady Gaza has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Jul 9, 2017

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

signalnoise posted:

I dig the hell out of my Purple mattress and my Purple pillows, but unfortunately it would be ridiculously expensive to actually try all of them unless you wanna be the dick who buys them all and sends back the ones they don't like using the refund policy they all have.

Yeah I was originally going to be "that guy" and try a bunch, but we have so much going on that I just want something in there that I don't have to worry about once it's set up. It's nice to know that the returns are available if I legit need to send one back tho.

experienceBeej posted:

I went here:
https://www.themattressunderground.com/

I spent about an hour reading the stuff the site operator said to read. That helped me understand more about mattresses in general.

This site is great. There's so much competition right now that most of my searches are returning paid content or deals and offers, I'm just gonna read this stuff now.

Grem posted:

I got a Leesa mattress. It was way too soft and aggravated a previously existing back injury. Bought a Costco mattress and it's perfect, but so is everything from Costco.

Neither me or my gf are too picky about mattresses but too soft would be a dealbreaker. I had a mattress topper that was way too soft and it made me more sore than I was when I was going to bed, and I have a physically demanding job so I really need sleep time as recovery. That would send leesa to the bottom of the "maybe" pile.

Bhodi posted:

Mattresses are such a scam, their profit margins are absolutely insane. There's no reason to pay more than a thousand dollars for a mattress.

Agree.

Thanks for the info yall. Still need to do some research but this is all a big help.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/ is another good mattress review site that is often linked in this thread.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm in the market for an in home security camera/baby monitor. I was hoping to have a wired option but long story short looking at wireless for now (can plug in to wall for power).

Needs:
Android and iOS app support
Strong security protocols (geofencing to view the feed would be awesome)
Video/sound
Night vision mode

Nice to have:
Pan/tilt/zoom
Good wifi antenna
IFTTT integration
Wall mount capable out of the box

TIA

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Amazon is about to go nuts with deals.

Tell me about cool and good LED color changing bulbs.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm in the market for an in home security camera/baby monitor.

You'll probably have more luck in the Home Automation and Security thread; they love talking about IP cameras over there.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Inzombiac posted:

Amazon is about to go nuts with deals.

Tell me about cool and good LED color changing bulbs.

There are 2 basic categories, smart and not smart. Most "smart" bulbs are gonna be part of some other "smart" home setup, like Hue or whatever. There are some others, like iLumi, but I didn't care for them. So evaluate those based on the ecosystem they're a part of, because if you don't get the rest of the ecosystem what the gently caress

The not-smart bulbs are pretty much all the same thing, just some color changing poo poo in a bulb. Usually they come with a remote control. They're all the same, so get whatever.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Are there any good reusable lint rollers around now, or do I just keep buying the sticky paper ones? This is for cat hair on clothes.

https://www.amazon.com/Schticky-As-Seen-piece-Set/dp/B008AD1QW0/ref=pd_sim_121_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y0ZKZHXFK5WG6CVSVVY7

Not as sticky as the adhesive type but reasonably effective.

I had a cat that LOVED to have the roller used on her.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
People keep asking about mattresses so I thought I'd chime in and say that I recently upgraded my Urban Mattress inner spring Queen to a Zinus memory foam king (12 inch green tea model) which was $280 and it's been pretty rad so far. I am a hot sleeper, and even more so than normal because I'm pregnant, but haven't had any issues with heat. The first few nights were a bit firm but now it's perfect. If you don't like for any reason, you can "return" it and Amazon will just tell you to donate it and refund you. My only issue I had so far was the smell of the mattress (kind of stinky chemical smell) but again, because I'm pregnant I smell EVERYthing way too much. I think we're had it for a couple weeks now and the smell is pretty much gone. We didn't bother trying Febreeze or anything and the smell wasn't so strong we couldn't sleep comfortably, but it was noticeable.

We also got a Zinus bed frame at the same time and it's okay. Not great, but for the money I can't complain too much. It just isn't "fancy". Seems solid and quiet though so my only real complaint would be aesthetic.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I'm looking for a pair of "recovery" sandals to wear after soccer. I used to be an Adidas Adissage loyalist, but it seems like the quality control has gone down because the little nubs start breaking off really quickly. I bought my last pair ~3 months ago and there's already a nub-free zone under the ball of both feet.

Any ideas for some massage-y slides that won't fall apart instantly?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I always thought the nubs were uncomfortable. I just had the non-nubbed Adidas Supercloud sandals. They seem decent.

You could always get one of these wooden foot massage dealies and regular sandals. I got my dad one, it's pretty good and the nubs def won't break off.

https://www.amazon.com/BIAL-EX-Mass...er+wooden&psc=1

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Recommendations for a cell phone holder that mounts into your CD slot? I just bought a regular suction cup/adhesive cell phone holder for my car but it didn't fit where I wanted it to go so I'm thinking the kind that slide into the CD player might be better. There's a ton of options on Amazon and I just want one that will fit my phone, hold it securely, and not destroy the CD player. I have a Nexus 6P which is basically the same size as the Plus sized iPhones, for reference.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Humerus posted:

Recommendations for a cell phone holder that mounts into your CD slot? I just bought a regular suction cup/adhesive cell phone holder for my car but it didn't fit where I wanted it to go so I'm thinking the kind that slide into the CD player might be better. There's a ton of options on Amazon and I just want one that will fit my phone, hold it securely, and not destroy the CD player. I have a Nexus 6P which is basically the same size as the Plus sized iPhones, for reference.

My family has the Mountek in one car and the cheaper M-Pow in another car.

The Mountek is sturdier (Amazon tells me we've had it since April 2013) and feels much more robust and well-made. Is it worth the $15 over the M-Pow? Hard to say. The M-Pow ratcheting click feels much more spongy and cheap but it's still working OK after 2 years. The angle adjustment on the M-Pow isn't as sturdy and it starts drooping down so you'll have to re-tighten the ballmount every few months or so. The ballmount stays tighter far longer on the Mountek. The M-Pow has fold-out supports to hold the bottom of your phone, and allows you to plug in an aux cable if you have the headphone slot on the bottom. The Mountek might get in the way of a headphone jack if it's on the bottom. Otherwise, both will allow you to charge your phone. On a side, note you might want to go for a vent mount if there's no blower vent to blow on your phone while driving. Phones get really hot in the summer sun, especially if charging and/or using GPS.

Neither will damage or mar your CD slot (use common sense when tightening). Mountek also has a magnetic-type mount but I don't particularly like those since my compass starts acting up after a while.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Humerus posted:

Get a proclipusa.com mount. Pricy but awesome, get the springloaded one. The whole store goes on sale monthly for anything from 5 to 20% off if you're willing to wait.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

uwaeve posted:

Get a proclipusa.com mount. Pricy but awesome, get the springloaded one. The whole store goes on sale monthly for anything from 5 to 20% off if you're willing to wait.

I did this and it's great. I put my phone in the thing and it stays in the thing until I take it out. No more thing throwing my phone under my feet while I'm in traffic. And I also have a Nexus 6P.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looking for suggestions for Booklights (for reading in bed next to my sleeping partner).

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Humerus posted:

Not a CD slot mount but of all the car mounts I've owned this one is still the best. It holds my old Note 5 in a case just fine.

The images say to put the sticker magnet on the phone but I put mine on the back of the case.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Looking for suggestions for Booklights (for reading in bed next to my sleeping partner).

I bought a couple of them, and the added weight clipped to a book/Kendall has always driven me crazy in the end. I have 1 million headlamps on hand for work and hiking stuff so now I just use one of those. Any cheap headlamp with like a 10lm "dim" function should be fine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Humerus posted:

I also need one of these but for an iPhone 6 Plus with the Otter Box. Although it sounds like whatever works for the Nexus 6P will fit.

uwaeve posted:

Got a link?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I also need one of these but for an iPhone 6 Plus with the Otter Box. Although it sounds like whatever works for the Nexus 6P will fit.

Got a link?

This is the one I have. I'd go through the site to pick the vehicle mount etc. Looks like the top spring one I linked may not take an otter box, hopefully they will have something that works. The top hook is spring loaded so you place the top of the phone in it, push up slightly until the port on the bottom of the phone clears the connector, then you push the phone back slightly so the connector lines up with the port and lower the phone onto the connector. Combined with the rock solid vehicle mounts it's one of my favorite products ever and I come in here to shill for them all the time.

I'd sign up for their email newsletter, the next 10% + sale will probably be in a week or two, the last one was July 4th.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looking for recommendations on a Bluetooth earpiece, the kind douchebags keep in their ear all day to look busy.

I won't use it for phone calls, I just want to be able to listen to podcasts in one ear while working and for it to be durable enough to jam in my pocket full of other crap.

I've only looked at a few at a ghetto cellphone store and they didn't all seem to be able to play audio other than calls.

If there's Bluetooth earbuds that would work individually that would be great since I'd have a backup once I destroy the first one.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Looking for recommendations on a Bluetooth earpiece, the kind douchebags keep in their ear all day to look busy.

I really like the QCY Q26. $10 on eBay, decent battery life, charges in 15-30 minutes. The only problem I have with them is that I keep sending them through the wash, and they don't survive that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My google-fu is failing me completely, I'm trying to find a product I've seen before that is some sort of soft putty that you form into a shape you need, and it then hardens in a few hours and becomes a hard plastic. It's supposed to be used for repairs or improvements. It's not J-B weld.

E: Yep thanks, it's Sugru!

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Jul 23, 2017

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

My google-fu is failing me completely, I'm trying to find a product I've seen before that is some sort of soft putty that you form into a shape you need, and it then hardens in a few hours and becomes a hard plastic. It's supposed to be used for repairs or improvements. It's not J-B weld.

Sugru

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One Day Fish Sale posted:

I really like the QCY Q26. $10 on eBay, decent battery life, charges in 15-30 minutes. The only problem I have with them is that I keep sending them through the wash, and they don't survive that.

Thanks, ordered!

KoB
May 1, 2009
I live in an area that charges for bags at grocery stores, and my grocery tote bag things ive gotten for free over the years are falling apart. Any recommendations for grocery tote bag stuff?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
ikea bags

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Recommend me a decent mechanical keyboard and also a more expensive, cool looking mechanical keyboard.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

colas posted:

Recommend me a decent mechanical keyboard and also a more expensive, cool looking mechanical keyboard.

There is a Keyboard thread that will be better to ask in: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825351

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

KoB posted:

I live in an area that charges for bags at grocery stores, and my grocery tote bag things ive gotten for free over the years are falling apart. Any recommendations for grocery tote bag stuff?

I like the ones they sell at Trader Joe's. Plus they're plastic and you can spray them with diluted bleach when you want to clean them (clean them).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you don't already know exactly what kind of switch you want, find a local store that has a variety of keyboards or order something like https://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00E71W4O8

Of the Cherry ones, I preferred mx greens which were like a super-firm blue, but they're apparently really rare at this point. If your budget is really high, HHKB2 was my personal favorite and it even comes in a bluetooth variety now

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

colas posted:

I absolutely love my WASD Code, it's a very simple and understated design, and you can select from most Cherry key options, which was my problem. I had decided (from using key samplers) that I wanted Cherry clears and that's....not common. If you're wanting reds or blues than you can find one for less quite easily.

Check out the keyboard thread, but that's my recommendation.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I have 2 WASD codes with clears. One 60% for home use and a 100% for work. I have o-rings on both and they're pretty loving quiet with all the enjoyment of a mechanical keyboard. Plus it fits right in in a business setting since it's just a sleek black design

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

colas posted:

The only keyboard I like is the Unicomp Classic 101 White Buckling Spring USB. It's really nice to type on, it has no Windows key, and in the event of a home invasion it's big and heavy enough to use as both a weapon and a shield.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have a couple Code keyboards with clears and o rings and I like them. If I could magically improve them, they would have on-board macros and the backlight would turn off when the monitor is put to sleep.

Buy replacement keycaps for a more expensive, cool looking experience.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I solicited recommendations for good hard candy from the thread a few weeks ago. Ordered and tried a ton of stuff that was suggested (and a bunch that wasn't suggested) and have found my favorites. Honorable mentions go to Kopiko coffee candy and goon-run Raley's Confectionary. My favorites though:

Reed's Butterscotch. Like the best butter rum Lifesavers ever. Complex butterscotch flavor with enough salt to make the flavor pop. Also, individually wrapped is a plus.

Key Lime discs. Several people suggested these as "those green and white candies that Mexican restaurants have". I've never been to a Mexican restaurant that has them but these things are great. Lime with a hint of creamy/coconut flavor. A bit artificial tasting but really good and relatively cheap compared to my other favorites.

Cavendish & Harvey Pear and Blackberry drops. Holy. loving. poo poo. Best candy I've ever had. Both the pear and the blackberry drops are insanely good but the pear is legit the best candy I've ever eaten. Their other flavors that I've tried (lemon, orange, sour cherry) are all very good but the pear and the blackberry are on a whole other level. These things are pretty loving expensive and inconvenient to carry around (big-rear end metal tin, not individually wrapped, and covered in powdered sugar so they don't stick together) but I really can't overstate how good they are.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Just got an email from comcast saying that my modem sucks so hard that it will no longer work as of 8/30/17. Is this bullshit, and if not, what's a good modem? Will be used for netflix and browsing the forums while pooping, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Networking thread here says get a ARRIS/Motorola surfboard.