Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Moltrey posted:

"Look properly at what you want to be!" which sounds like Todoroki is saying that is what he himself is and Iida shoulda look to Todoroki which also works but ehhhh.

Not... really...? It seems pretty obvious that he's saying to not get blinded by a desire for vengeance over, y'know, being a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's really poorly phrased awkward sounding English though. The official manga translation of that line is "Never forget who you want to become" which sounds much better. I expect the dub will be similar.

e: The more I think about it I can't think of when someone says "look properly" and isn't literary taking about something you can actually see. Bad translation.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 25, 2017

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The translation for MHA's subs are... not my fave. They're not wretched but... eh.

Like, compared to the translation for Attack on Titan, the other big Funi show, it's really stilted, there's not enough personality, and there's a slightly weaker degree of clarity

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Their dub of it is superb though.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

teen midnight was absolutely in the anime club

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dragonatrix posted:

Not... really...? It seems pretty obvious that he's saying to not get blinded by a desire for vengeance over, y'know, being a hero.
Nah it's obviously not what he's saying when you think about it, but it's a poor sub choice imo after all Iida wants to do is be a successful, loved hero like his brother and then Todoroki made his heroic entrance having just progressed his character arc about limiting yourself because you lost sight of your dream due to family reasons, fighting off Stain better than anyone we've ever seen and after he says the line, flexes up his fire side real big, like it could paint a slightly different picture I feel. "Look properly" sounds like "yo get a good look at this my man, this is what you're striving for" [sets half his body on fire]

That scene is one of my favorites so yeah I'm totally nitpicking, but it works so well for Todoroki joining Deku's group of Ochako and Iida, lending a hand to support Iida who has always been the more mature and confident rock, supporting everyone else, and still totally does in the anime, that line just made me raise an eyebrow

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 25, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, I thought that was obvious and the wording felt fine to me. :shrug:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"Look properly" is a phrase for telling someone to check something again or to observe closely. It's obvious what meaning they intend but the choice of wording is awkward and poorly selected.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

EmmyOk posted:

"Look properly" is a phrase for telling someone to check something again or to observe closely. It's obvious what meaning they intend but the choice of wording is awkward and poorly selected.

If you say so.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thanks for the faith in my authority, I'll do my best for the thread going forward.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The wording makes sense but it sounds awkward and stilted

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Todoroki showing up is really cool to me because it shows the kind of connection he's developing with Deku, where he can tell what the location ping is supposed to mean, and gets there immediately. It also shows that Todoroki, just like Deku and Uraraka, is keyed into Iida's problems and knows to be on the lookout. It's a great moment where you understand that the kids in this class really care about each other.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

When this comic started I thought it was going to be the Deku and Bakugao story with a bunch of ancillary background characters but most of the entire class (Sugar Guy and animal talker have been almost entirely ignored) has been fleshed out to some extent and they are interesting in their own right.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you took almost anyone and dropped them into any other series, they would be the best character. Horikoshi has managed to make a series full of best characters.

A partial list of Best Characters:
- Kirishima
- Todoroki
- Iida
- Tsuyu
- Mina
- Hagakure
- Night Eye
- Present Mic
- All of them. Literally all of them.
- Except Mineta.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PMush Perfect posted:

If you took almost anyone and dropped them into any other series, they would be the best character. Horikoshi has managed to make a series full of best characters.

Yeah this is my favorite part, I don't hate any of the characters. They're all really cool.

Kirishima and Iida are both characters that in another anime I would completely hate. But they're both cool and respectable in their own way.

How dare you not include All Might on that list though! Okay you said all of them so okay.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MHA is up there with HxH and probably better in character design and how none of them are useless. I also enjoy the lack of filler and excellent pacing

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

MHA is up there with HxH and probably better in character design and how none of them are useless. I also enjoy the lack of filler and excellent pacing

I hope the author makes a point of showing us more of the people who's powers aren't suited for combat but are suited to other hero work, like search and rescue. Guy who can talk with animals could not only direct let's say rats (good sense of smell, good intelligence, small bodies easily capable of searching through rubble and wreckage, can be trained) but he could train them much easier than other people could too, so he could extend the benefits of his powers to other handlers by just training up animals for them to use.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The most badly translated line in the episode is the one from the last season that Midoriya thought of when he recalled All Might confronting Shigaraki.

"The eyes of you white-collar criminals burn silently."

...what? The idea I think is to say "your eyes are empty" or lacking conviction or something; basically saying that Shigaraki is mad but has no powerful conviction. But that line is poo poo and probably one of those overly literal translations.

E: like here's the Viz translation, which for once isn't overly literal and dry. Still think Viz is boring though.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 26, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It wasn't a great line but I like "white-collar" as an insult.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I mean, I totally get what the line was going for, even if it was awkward. Shigaraki has no conviction, he's just a kid doing what he wants.

Of course, with Stain, we're seeing that conviction isn't necessarily a good thing, but y'know.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like that when All Might says that line, Shigaraki's eyes narrow as if he's smiling, he's not lying to himself about any of this. For all of Stain's principles and beliefs, he's still about to murder three fifteen year olds in an alley. At least Shigaraki's just here to have his fun and he knows it. gently caress you dad, give me the keys to the Nomus, I'm going out tonight. Also his design is way way better.

gently caress Stain, go Shigaraki.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 26, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tomura's design is amazing and it is yet another parallel to Deku in that they both have cute red shoes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Stain saved Deku and wants to kill Endeavor he's alright.

I like both Stain and Shigaraki's designs. Stain is so 90's teenaged-idea-of-cool anti-hero it hurts and I appreciate him in the comic in small doses.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I like Stain except for whatever he has going on with his nose.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
pretty sure there's nothing going on with his nose cause it's not there anymore

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Deku: My Stain has no nose.
Uraraka: Then how does he smell?
Deku: Terrible!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The dub has the best voice acting cast for any anime dub I've ever listened to

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

galenanorth posted:

Why haven't you watched Cowboy Bebop yet?

The dub is really great yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

galenanorth posted:

All Might is Vegeta (Chris Sabbat)

EmmyOk posted:

Why haven't you watched Cowboy Bebop yet?

The dub is really great yeah.

Yeah Cowboy Bebop is one of the shows that I like the English as much as the Japanese. Outlaw Star and Akira are both pretty good too.

Most Ghibli films are also great since they go all out and get people like Billy Crystal and Christian Bale, Gillian Anderson and Minnie Driver.

Dragon Ball Z is the only show where I prefer the English dub to the Japanese original, I just can't do old lady Goku.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Chris Sabat is cool and good and probably does a decent All Might, but I will forever be disappointed that he's not voiced by Kyle Hebert. That is pretty much entirely because he was Mr. Legend in Tiger and Bunny, yes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Dragon Ball Z is the only show where I prefer the English dub to the Japanese original, I just can't do old lady Goku.

Gonna have to recommend you watch Baccano! sometime.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sometimes i wonder how people learned they had what quirk they have. like that one guy that can apparently curve bullets-- did he just grow up not thinking he had a quirk until he was a teenager and went to the firing range for fun and had his mind blown and world turned upside down? are they giving guns to kindergarteners?

does stains quirk work on himself? did he just get a nasty paper cut one day and went to suck his finger and found himself paralyzed on the ground?

also with the explanation of what stains quirk really is i appreciate how loving jacked that dude must be to be able to land blows on heroes more or less as a regular human dude until he can pull off his bullshit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

sometimes i wonder how people learned they had what quirk they have. like that one guy that can apparently curve bullets-- did he just grow up not thinking he had a quirk until he was a teenager and went to the firing range for fun and had his mind blown and world turned upside down? are they giving guns to kindergarteners?

does stains quirk work on himself? did he just get a nasty paper cut one day and went to suck his finger and found himself paralyzed on the ground?

also with the explanation of what stains quirk really is i appreciate how loving jacked that dude must be to be able to land blows on heroes more or less as a regular human dude until he can pull off his bullshit.

Like the x-men, but yeah, more or less. Usually powers have a range of applications so like, maybe somebody threw a baseball at him and he curved the baseball, and that made him realize he could curve bullets. You know? Or maybe somebody really did shoot at him and that was how he found out.

It is made clear that lots of people don't even fully understand their own quirks, its not innate. People pretty frequently come to one conclusion about their powers but later realize its something more complex, like the example given was thinking you could create water when instead you could absorb water from the atmosphere. Subtle details probably wouldn't get noticed unless you really tested yourself, and that's part of mastering your quirk to be a good hero.

Heroes/villains seem to be pretty immune to their own quirks. Eraser head doesn't lose his own power by looking at his arms.

Stain seems like his MO is to sneak around in the dark and ambush heroes before they realize what's up, so that means he doesn't have to overpower them as much. But you're not wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaubocks posted:

While he is trained very well. He does only need to get the slightest graze to defeat someone.

His current fight is one of the worst for him as multiple opponents gives time for his quirk to ware off.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Stain is incredibly tough one on one, he was easily dealing with Todoroki. Like Shinso one on one once his Quirk affects you it's gameover. Bizarrely I myself was just thinking about how people discover certain Quirks. I just kind of figured they inherently can feel it the same way someone like Todoroki just knows he can create fire.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Zaphod42 posted:

All Might is Vegeta (Chris Sabbat)

I really like that they had the guy that did Urameshi do Kirishima, because it's pretty much perfect. But the fact that they didn't have Sabat, who is already on the dang show, do Tetsutetsu in basically a Kuwabara voice is probably the greatest tragedy in modern anime localization.

But yeah, the dub is stellar.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like somebody with the power of no-poo poo creating water from nothing would find themselves in a position to make insane amounts of money in a truckload of ways

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i feel like somebody with the power of no-poo poo creating water from nothing would find themselves in a position to make insane amounts of money in a truckload of ways

Yeah a lot of powers seem that way. But then there are also limits for lots of them too, like getting sick if you use it too much, getting stupid, etc. (Unlike say Harry Potter where there are no limits at all and no reason why anybody who learns a single spell can't just make infinite money)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
right, the point i forgot to include in the post is it always seemed like a weird example to use because there's gotta be some pretty strong demand for even semi-dependable quirks that do things that simply can't be replicated by a union worker

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

right, the point i forgot to include in the post is it always seemed like a weird example to use because there's gotta be some pretty strong demand for even semi-dependable quirks that do things that simply can't be replicated by a union worker

Well they haven't really shown it but I imagine in this world that if you get a quirk that isn't particularly suited to hero work, then you probably go for a job that your quirk helps with. So yeah. Certain people would have aptitudes for certain jobs. Others have totally useless quirks and just do desk work or whatever.

Like if you had electricity power but didn't want to be a hero, you'd be pretty useful working as an electrician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean, it's sorta implied that family lines that have powerful Quicks end up real rich.

• Locked thread