Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I really want to know more about these ruins. Are they some previous civilization wiped out in a previous Calamity?

I kinda figured that various parts of Ala Mhigo had sunk into the Loch over time, going with the general theme of "poo poo sux here".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

Any other savage bard players here? Trying to optimize my damage due to my group not doing the best.

make your scholar synchronize chain strategems with iron jaws, that's always funny

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I kinda figured that various parts of Ala Mhigo had sunk into the Loch over time, going with the general theme of "poo poo sux here".

As I understand it, the lochs were originally as dry as every other Ala Mhigo area, but the natural bowl shape meant that when the cataclysmic flood came, that area was completely submerged and remained so, becoming increasingly salty over time like most other small, landlocked seas that have dried out.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Any other savage bard players here? Trying to optimize my damage due to my group not doing the best.

What do you need to know? Also list your party comp because that'll help.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Minrad posted:

As I understand it, the lochs were originally as dry as every other Ala Mhigo area, but the natural bowl shape meant that when the cataclysmic flood came, that area was completely submerged and remained so, becoming increasingly salty over time like most other small, landlocked seas that have dried out.

An analogous real-life situation suggests that the Lochs are going to become a public health nightmare in about a century.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

those fuckin' Preys in A11N, god drat.

It got to the point where I wouldn't queue up for A11N unless either I was healing or I was partied with a known good healer (or preferably both). It's also the most fun I've had healing in the game, but I've never tried healing EX/savage stuff.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Skaw posted:

What do you need to know? Also list your party comp because that'll help.

Bard, Samurai Summoner and Dragoon for DPS
Scholar and Ast
Warrior and Dark Knight

Well I'm just trying to figure out a way to deal more dps now rather than worry about my teammates. Dealing about 3.2k on alte at ilvl 316 and we are often struggling to get by it unless we do a perfect run. Been starting off with Foes Requiem, straight shot, blood letter followed by raging strikes, the dots then Wanderers.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

Bard, Samurai Summoner and Dragoon for DPS
Scholar and Ast
Warrior and Dark Knight

Well I'm just trying to figure out a way to deal more dps now rather than worry about my teammates. Dealing about 3.2k on alte at ilvl 316 and we are often struggling to get by it unless we do a perfect run. Been starting off with Foes Requiem, straight shot, blood letter followed by raging strikes, the dots then Wanderers.

My opener is probably far from optimal I believe, but I infusion at 4(if you're using them,) Foe Req at 2, Refresh, Stormbite should be at Pull, Bloodletter and Raging, Caustic Bite, Minuet and Empyreal, Straight Shot, Sidewinder and Battle Voice, Iron Jaws, then fish for the Refulgent to Barrage before Raging Strikes is up while slamming Pitch Perfect, Iron Jaws to refresh Raging Strikes DoTs on the last GCD possible, use Barrage on the next available Empyreal if the Refulgent dream is dead. Always save Raging for Minuet. Try and line a Foe Requiem and Battle Voice up with party buffs. During Ballad, use your Empyreal to refresh a recently used Bloodletter, so you can throw out two of them over 2 GCDs. Never sit on Barrage waiting for a Refulgent, and only delay a Refulgent if Barrage is coming up really soon, like less than 8 seconds and Straight Shot isn't going to fall off in the mean time. Always use that Barrage as soon as possible on an Empyreal if you can't line a clean Refulgent up for it. If the choice is Straighter Shot or Refulgent, and Straight Shot has worn off, use Refulgent unless your DoTs are at risk of being snapshot without Straight Shot up.

The easiest way to keep squeezing out more DPS is always resnapshotting DoTs when buffs/debuffs go out and before they fall off. Considering you have both Scholar and Dragoon, if Litany and Strategem are both up, you can try using Pitch Perfect at 2 rep instead of 3 and seeing how that goes for you. My group has neither so I can't play with that tactic.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 26, 2017

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Cool thanks for the advice. I'll check out how it works thursday. Dragoon had to be subbed for our last night so I should be doing better next time.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
No problem. I also recommend using one of your UI presets exclusively for Bard. You'll want to keep your gauge, your status effects, and enemy status effects elements real close together. Bards biggest issue right now is the plate spinning being divided between 5 HUD elements. The gauge could really use some additions to help out with that. It's just so much eye movement right now.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 26, 2017

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!
Roughly a million posts back but

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if in 10 years MMO greybeards will be talking about Raubahn (Savage)

People gonna be wondering what the nerds are talking about when they're turned away from stuff and they pull out their allegorical "At Raubahn, when the name days came."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Isn't DX11 also a bit more optimized and run a bit better on most systems? Or did I make that up in a fever dream?

DX11 will run straight up better on the same system, but it will eat up more vram doing it. If your GPU doesn't have at least ~1gb, the performance will go to poo poo. DX9 client, on the other hand, runs fine on 500 megs of vram.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I honestly kinda wonder if they're going to make a small in-game reference to the waits. It seems like the sort of thing they'd do.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

I think its just the sense of scale (like the ridiculous walls in Yanxia) that throws me off. If the lochs were way less deep or way wider, they'd make more sense. As it is they kind of feel like a half-mile deep sinkhole magically swallowed a city while somehow leaving it intact.

Yes I know that asking for realism in a fantasy video game is nonsense, but my verisimilitude :arghfist::saddowns:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

vOv posted:

I honestly kinda wonder if they're going to make a small in-game reference to the waits. It seems like the sort of thing they'd do.

I fully expect some NPC to make an off-hand comment about how the wall of a man known as Raubahn will give even adventurers pause, or some other flowery bullshit.

And I'll screenshot it and post it on Reddit just like Koji wants me to, the bastard shite eater.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Daerc posted:

Roughly a million posts back but

People gonna be wondering what the nerds are talking about when they're turned away from stuff and they pull out their allegorical "At Raubahn, when the name days came."

This just reminds me of the Star trek tng episode with the race that spoke only in allegory

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I think its just the sense of scale (like the ridiculous walls in Yanxia) that throws me off. If the lochs were way less deep or way wider, they'd make more sense. As it is they kind of feel like a half-mile deep sinkhole magically swallowed a city while somehow leaving it intact.

yeah it makes them awesome and creepy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
http://i.imgur.com/aPVxr9t.gifv

So the optimal time to use flamethrower, a tool they put a bunch of heat on and want you to use to generate heat, is to snapshot overheat and extend the buff into/through barrel cooldown, so using it the only time you can't gain heat.

This class was made by like 10 different people that all loving hated each other I think.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I've gathered you here today to discuss how our new heat mechanic should work

It should build up slow and have ways to stop from gaining it
No you should have stuff that builds it up fast
And you should want to accumulate it
No you should want to spend it
And it should make you do more damage when you get enough
NO IT SHOULD MAKE YOU DO LESS DAMAGE

Gentlemen, gentlemen, let's just compromise and include all of those ideas.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

why couldn't gunmage be cool AND good AND fun, right now it's just cool and one out of three isn't enough

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

why couldn't gunmage be cool AND good AND fun, right now it's just cool and one out of three isn't enough

It overheats. That's like the opposite of cool.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

http://i.imgur.com/aPVxr9t.gifv

So the optimal time to use flamethrower, a tool they put a bunch of heat on and want you to use to generate heat, is to snapshot overheat and extend the buff into/through barrel cooldown, so using it the only time you can't gain heat.

This class was made by like 10 different people that all loving hated each other I think.

I've never played MCH and never had much interest in it, but drat it they need to fix it because that looks fuckin rad.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

a kitten posted:

I've never played MCH and never had much interest in it, but drat it they need to fix it because that looks fuckin rad.

Also you get flips and poo poo
http://i.imgur.com/ThvyPe1.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/72ntdJi.gifv

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah Machinist and Dark Knight are two jobs I leveled almost exclusively for style and sick animations and then basically never played again. Machinist I liked mostly but hated the reliance on Wildfire, and reading about the new Heat mechanics does not have me excited to level it again.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah Machinist and Dark Knight are two jobs I leveled almost exclusively for style and sick animations and then basically never played again. Machinist I liked mostly but hated the reliance on Wildfire, and reading about the new Heat mechanics does not have me excited to level it again.

My hypothesis is that they only have one good idea for ranged physical classes each expansion, which is why Bards were lovely bow mages in Heavensward and it felt super tacked on and no effort. Bards got the good ideas in Stormblood and Machinists got whatever was left over.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If they rolled back the changes they made last patch and just did big potency boosts that'd help a lot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wish BRD got to keep Wide Volley instead of Quick Nock. Ditto for MCH / Grenado Shot / Spread Shot. Just the animations, I don't care about the actual mechanics. Wide Volley and Grenado Shot were way cooler than what we got to keep.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 27, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thundarr posted:

Yes I know that asking for realism in a fantasy video game is nonsense, but my verisimilitude :arghfist::saddowns:

Ala Mhigo is an absolute fuckoff huge castle and it beggars the imagination trying to square away the Fringes / Peaks being able to support a castle of that colossal size.

I get that they need to make things unrealistically big so they appear suitably large, since the camera POV is usually like 20 feet behind the player, but it makes for amusing situations like the Yanxia walls being impossibly huge, or Ala Mhigo being some Anor Londo-type poo poo.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a single game out there that has an interesting "overheat" mechanic?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rascyc posted:

Vanquish

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Rascyc posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2 :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rascyc posted:

Mass Effect 1, when you loaded up a sniper rifle or shotgun with high-explosive rounds and two scram rails.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rascyc posted:

Devil May Cry 4

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SKULL.GIF posted:

Ala Mhigo is an absolute fuckoff huge castle and it beggars the imagination trying to square away the Fringes / Peaks being able to support a castle of that colossal size.

I get that they need to make things unrealistically big so they appear suitably large, since the camera POV is usually like 20 feet behind the player, but it makes for amusing situations like the Yanxia walls being impossibly huge, or Ala Mhigo being some Anor Londo-type poo poo.

I don't think we're meant to believe the Fringes/Peaks constitute the whole of Ala Mhigo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Saint Freak posted:

The more I look at MCH, the less I want to play it. It's absolutely evident that each job was assigned a team and they tried to balance everything after everyone turned in their assignments. It's the only explanation that I have for why MCH has zero skills gained between 40 and 50.

I'm not loving kidding, go look. No skill at 45, no skill at 42/46/48. You could absolutely bring several skill down a couple of extra notches, this would make it so you don't have to go TEN GODDAMN LEVELS FROM 52 TO 62 BEFORE YOU GET YOUR HEAT MANAGMENT TOOL.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 27, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thundarr posted:

I think it was an underground palace the Amdapori built to hide from the flood, like the Mhachi and their Dun Scaith. Both were built into mountains and on a grand scale, and well, we saw how that worked out for them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wish BRD got to keep Wide Volley instead of Quick Nock. Ditto for MCH / Grenado Shot / Spread Shot. Just the animations, I don't care about the actual mechanics. Wide Volley and Grenado Shot were way cooler than what we got to keep.

Agreed. Quick Nock is balls and Wide Volley was the poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Remind me. Do dots in this game snapshot or dynamically update.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Snapshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Remind me. Do dots in this game snapshot or dynamically update.

They snapshot, so try to get as many buffs up as possible before applying dots.