Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Susan Sarandon Did Nothing Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

you'd have to pull a Herculean level of liberalism to look at Steve loving Bannon and cry in outrage at the one good idea he has in his rotting alcoholic brain

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Office Pig posted:

you'd have to pull a Herculean level of liberalism to look at Steve loving Bannon and cry in outrage at the one good idea he has in his rotting alcoholic brain

killing the tpp was another

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

more pearls of wisdom from bad-dem research

bend the knee | start killing people

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

if I had a dime for every bad dem I've heard or seen post this focus-group-tested trope...

quote:

Use “transition” or “bridge” language to meet voters where they are and relax their defenses Even low information voters have been exposed to a lot of negative messages about health care reform, and they generally start from a position of apprehensiveness, fear, and doubt. Advocates should not be afraid to concede that the law is not perfect, or “not the law any of us would have written.” This helps make any message to follow more relatable and credible. Follow-up with a positive statement like “but it does some good things…” and briefly describe the key provisions described earlier. It is strong to talk about “improving” the health care law.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Office Pig posted:

she was a huuuuge hill shill and got VERY MAD at Sarandon on twitter. so yeah, that's the right level.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Scent of Worf posted:

Remember how mad people would get if you didn't defend the ACA with all your might even though it was a lovely as gently caress program?

if I ever forget my rap sheet will remind me.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Keep claims small, clear, and credible; don’t overpromise or “spin” what the law will deliver Large-scale claims about the broad impact of health care reform are not reassuring to voters, and big promises about what it will deliver are not credible—regardless of factual accuracy.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Talk about Congress being part of the same system (being on the same “plan” would be even stronger if true). One key to reducing skepticism about the law is to tell voters that Congress will be part of the same system. While for some the claim doesn’t seem credible, for others it’s a strong sign that the new system couldn’t be all bad if members of Congress are participating in it.

eta:

Requiring members of Congress get their coverage from the same plans as Americans and ensuring security was the top- testing message overall and among key persuasion audiences, such as Independents, Persuadables, low info voters and white women.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 01:32 on Jul 27, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJjhktV-TfI

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FOR NON-COLLEGE EDUCATED WOMEN: Tell them health care passed.

eta:

FOR LATINO VOTERS: Tell them health care passed.

FOR VOTERS UNDER 40: Focus on a personal story about a younger person that includes key provisions. Don’t make grand claims about the law. Use “improve it” language.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Condiv posted:

i don't know what your posts are even supposed to mean anymore :(

how is consumer framing supposed to engage women, or whatever the marketing speak is

women love shopping, am i rite fellow dem guys?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

of course bannon would steal a plan from a woman without giving credit

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

trudy lieberman's excellent story on the failings of the ACA is no longer behind a paywall.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Willa Rogers posted:

FOR NON-COLLEGE EDUCATED WOMEN: Tell them health care passed.

eta:

FOR LATINO VOTERS: Tell them health care passed.

FOR VOTERS UNDER 40: Focus on a personal story about a younger person that includes key provisions. Don’t make grand claims about the law. Use “improve it” language.

never give anything to the young, you are a boomer and will live forever

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

trudy lieberman's excellent story on the failings of the ACA is no longer behind a paywall.

i don't trust that name

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Grondoth posted:

i don't trust that name

no, seriously... she's critiqued the ACA from the left for cjr.org since the law was passed, even though she's been attacked by bad dems for "feeding right-wing frames"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

what the literal hell

going by an article i found 235k people earned $1m+ a year in the US. if we assume all those people became 5m+ earners in 2016, that means hillary's tax plan wants to charge 47 of them 4% extra taxes? seriously?

edit: ah, sorry i was reading that the other way around, an extra 4% on the 2 out of every 10000 people in the US making 5m. not some weirdo lottery tax system

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Condiv posted:

what the literal hell

going by an article i found 235k people earned $1m+ a year in the US. if we assume all those people became 5m+ earners in 2016, that means hillary's tax plan wants to charge 47 of them 4% extra taxes? seriously?

thats not what the 2 out of 10k means. it means 2 out of 10k taxpapers make >$5M

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Breakfast All Day posted:

thats not what the 2 out of 10k means. it means 2 out of 10k taxpapers make >$5M

i thought they were saying they were gonna charge 2 out of 10k taxpayers making >$5m the 4%

it's like 3am here, sue me

Condiv has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Jul 27, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Matt Zerella posted:

I want a Susan Sarandon response.

or Cher

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

4% lmfao

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Bannon's raise wasn't a surcharge but a suggestion to raise it up 5%

So it's better than Hillary's.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThndrShk2k posted:

Bannon's raise wasn't a surcharge but a suggestion to raise it up 5%

So it's better than Hillary's.

i don't know why you'd compare two things that never were gonna happen to determine which is better but you do you

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:yeah:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i don't know why you'd compare two things that never were gonna happen to determine which is better but you do you
💨:thejoke:💨
💨💨💨💨💨
:saddowns:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/890385270851481601

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

would require the left to actually recruit candidates, so no real threat there

"Wow establishment dems won every position in the DNC elections!"

"did you run anyone other than Ellison?"

"REEEEEEEEEE"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
"Im not going to fall for Steve Daines giving me exactly what I have wanted for years and years!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

i don't know what your posts are even supposed to mean anymore :(

how is consumer framing supposed to engage women, or whatever the marketing speak is

looks like they focus-grouped it from an entirely selfish perspective

instead of asking "do you think sick people have a right to healthcare", they asked people what noun they best respond to when they're sitting in the doctor's office waiting for a diagnosis on their cough

rather than a "political frame" of "maybe we should help people", they focused entirely on the selfish (or "consumer") frame of how the individual felt about their own healthcare

and from the look of what's on that slide, their focus-group participants were people who could afford current insurance. they were probably being focus-grouped entirely on the insurance markets and exchanges, rather than Medicaid or affordability.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

more pearls of wisdom from bad-dem research

:lol: when Dems have talked about "shoring up Social Security" they really have meant gutting it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

these new hillary clinton nicknames keep getting worse and worse and worse

lmebo

abuelacare

:abuela:care

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

But there’s still not much appetite in the party to talk about single-payer right now. Instead, Senate Democrats say their focus has to be on defending the Affordable Care Act. “I’m optimistic the people of our country could rise up and demand a single-payer system, but right now we’re still fighting the battle of making sure they don’t succeed in repealing Obamacare,” Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI) told me outside the Capitol on Tuesday. “I support single-payer — but in this environment? In this environment?”

Added Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) in a separate interview: “Single-payer will happen — if you’re talking in 10 or 20 years.”

“It would not be good to spend our time focusing on what happens a few years from now,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) told me on Tuesday when I asked about single-payer. “We’ll have plenty of time to debate what bill we’ll craft once we get control back.”

gently caress all y'all

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the aca's gonna have something like 3-5 million people enrolled in private exchange insurance once the GOP ends up gutting the mandate. But dems will be "fighting to preserve and defend" it a decade after it's dead and something like 90 percent of voters want medicare-for-all.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

Willa Rogers posted:

the aca's gonna have something like 3-5 million people enrolled in private insurance once the GOP ends up gutting the mandate. But dems will be "fighting to preserve and defend" it a decade after it's dead and something like 90 percent of voters want medicare-for-all.

the democrats aren't going to be around in a decade

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the democrats aren't going to be around in a decade

inshallah.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Al! posted:

id hardly call goodwill small to midsize lol but ive heard bad things about goodwill specifically a lot

Each region really has nothing to do with each other. Like The Delaware Goodwill has it's own CEO

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Would it be easier to get Medicare for children passed? Maybe call on pro-lifers for support, too?

Getting everything in one shot would be cool and good, but in parallel legislation to expand the age ranges covered could help.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Would it be easier to get Medicare for children passed? Maybe call on pro-lifers for support, too?

Getting everything in one shot would be cool and good, but in parallel legislation to expand the age ranges covered could help.

kids already get CHIPS; I'd settle for medicaid buy-in for everyone.

but blumenthal saying it'll take another decade or two makes it clear that even with dem majorities in congress + having the presidency it'll never ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/890381076371255296

• Locked thread