Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
in the future when your parents design what gender you are, do you get angry at them or the doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Genocide Tendency posted:

Uhhhhh.......

https://twitter.com/techreview/status/890333832427315202

This is probably one of those moments where because we can doesn't mean we should....

But hey. Lets roll the dice. Can't get much worse than where we are.

Gattica woooo

Soldier was pretty dope tho I loved that movie

I feel like it's waaaaay underappreciated

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Third World Reggin posted:

in the future when your parents design what gender you are, do you get angry at them or the doctor

Parents. They picked. Doc just followed directions.

Its largely irrelevant because everyone will just have all the parts and plumbing and you get to choose when you turn 18.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

....Herr Doktor was only following orders

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Is it to early to start an August thread? I have a feeling this one is about to die.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JacksLibido posted:

What? Pretty sure getting cosmetic surgery for free wasn't part of the contract I signed.

Also, I'm obv in the minority in this forum but I'm pretty ok with banning transexuals. If you're so uncomfortable in your body that you're going to cut off your genitals and take tons of hormones then you probably shouldn't be given a gun and put in a warzone, just saying. Also, every transexual I've met has been nuts.

I was right there with you when I first heard about it. Like, you can have major plastic surgery and seriously mood-altering hormone treatments but not antidepressants or insulin? But Obama's regulations were pretty solid - you had to be fully transitioned and assessed as mentally stable for 18 months before you could enlist.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Waroduce posted:

Gattica woooo

Soldier was pretty dope tho I loved that movie

I feel like it's waaaaay underappreciated

Soldier takes place in the same universe as Blade Runner.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JacksLibido posted:

What? Pretty sure getting cosmetic surgery for free wasn't part of the contract I signed.

Also, I'm obv in the minority in this forum but I'm pretty ok with banning transexuals. If you're so uncomfortable in your body that you're going to cut off your genitals and take tons of hormones then you probably shouldn't be given a gun and put in a warzone, just saying. Also, every transexual I've met has been nuts.

I think your gonna get probated but I uh.. I feel the same way.

Still hate Trump and love the gays, and no hate for transsexuals either, just don't want them in the military. I'm sure I'll be on the wrong side of history here but that's just how I feel.

:ohdear:

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Shut the gently caress up idiot.

No?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I think your gonna get probated but I uh.. I feel the same way.

Still hate Trump and love the gays, and no hate for transsexuals either, just don't want them in the military. I'm sure I'll be on the wrong side of history here but that's just how I feel.

:ohdear:

Probably but I don't think I should. I didn't use hate speach or say that all transexuals are terrible people or something. At most people might be upset about my anecdote of only meeting crazy transexuals in the AF but :shrug: it's what I've experienced.

I don't hate transexuals, I just don't think that someone should be in the military undergoing so much therapy and surgery. You can't join the military with an ADD prescription but you can undergo a complete hormone change because that's somehow better? You can't have facial tattoos but you can change your entire exterior presentation from male to female?

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 27, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

JacksLibido posted:

4/10

You lost points for not putting in the low hanging fruit of trolling the topic that is circumcision. Just a little effort and you could have made it a part of your brain droppings. Something like tipping would have been a stretch but pulling that off convincingly would have been really high technical marks.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Parents. They picked. Doc just followed directions.

Its largely irrelevant because everyone will just have all the parts and plumbing and you get to choose when you turn 18.

Just imagining banana ripping sounds as you pick, followed by a plop.

and then the political positions of increasing the age or decreasing the age of choice

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

JacksLibido posted:

Alright dude, pretty sure I've seen that EXACT comment being thrown around on the Facebooks(tm). You could at least come up with something new.

Who cares? It really doesn't matter. We need every swinging dick (or lack thereof/removed/sewn on) that we can get. As long as they aren't shitlords I don't care.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shut the gently caress up idiot.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

ASAPI posted:

Alright dude, pretty sure I've seen that EXACT comment being thrown around on the Facebooks(tm). You could at least come up with something new.

Who cares? It really doesn't matter. We need every swinging dick (or lack thereof/removed/sewn on) that we can get. As long as they aren't shitlords I don't care.

So opinions that don't mirror yours are trolls?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was right there with you when I first heard about it. Like, you can have major plastic surgery and seriously mood-altering hormone treatments but not antidepressants or insulin? But Obama's regulations were pretty solid - you had to be fully transitioned and assessed as mentally stable for 18 months before you could enlist.

What about people who transition while they're already in?

ASAPI posted:

No we don't? There are already year long wait lists for tons of jobs.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 27, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I thought the whole thing about CRSPR was that it let people modify the genome of already living organisms? Why start with embryos when they're using it on adults in China?

Edit: nevermind, it's in the article

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 27, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It's turning into the Breitbart comment section in here. Hellllll yeahhhhhh

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There'd be like 10 dudes left defending the country if you didnt take mentally unhinged people

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JacksLibido posted:

What about people who transition while they're already in?

Not enough to be a concern.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not enough to be a concern.

As defined by what?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Theory: if you're on one side or the other about the transsexual issue, your mind is made up. Continuing to argue about it won't change the person your arguing's mind, so you're just going to slap fight and you should probably just talk about what's happening and say how you feel instead of arguing about what you think should be happening.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
All of the nukes and Intel spergs I met we're well adjusted young service people who were diligently screened by their recruiters before being admitted to MEPS. None of them were forced to shower in front of their LPO because they had broke brains and we def don't have a process for separating unbalanced people due to mental issues.

I am Jack's sneaking suspicion that including transexual service members is just too haaaard for the DoD.

Similarly when a service members marries a sick spouse or has a child with a chronic condition, I think they should be expunged, because

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 27, 2017

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

TBeats posted:

Theory: if you're on one side or the other about the transsexual issue, your mind is made up. Continuing to argue about it won't change the person your arguing's mind, so you're just going to slap fight and you should probably just talk about what's happening and say how you feel instead of arguing about what you think should be happening.

So you're basically saying that there should never be debates or discourse on any subject ever because minds can never be changed. So how does one side or the other win? By being brow beaten into submission? Execution? Wtf

Kawasaki Nun posted:

All of the nukes and Intel spergs I met we're well adjusted young service people who were diligently screened by their recruiters before being admitted to MEPS. None of them were forced to shower in front of their LPO because they had broke brains and we def don't have a process for separating unbalanced people due to mental issues.

I am Jack's sneaking suspicion that including transexual service members is just too haaaard for the DoD

Can you imagine the nightmare this would cause if said intel/nukes was a transexual? Who would have to watch the shower? Would it be the original gender or the new gender? Define unbalanced? What if a transexual was also just an unbalanced person without regard to their sexuality, how would you get through that minefield without having said person do the inevitable "my commander is just a bigot!"

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 27, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

JacksLibido posted:

So you're basically saying that there should never be debates or discourse on any subject ever because minds can never be changed. So how does one side or the other win? By being brow beaten into submission? Execution? Wtf

I'm saying shut the gently caress up to you AND to the person you are arguing with because you're goddamn insufferable, regardless if I agree with you or not.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Really it just goes to show that there actually are religious nutjobs that hate our freedoms and turns out we didn't even need to leave the country to find them

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

TBeats posted:

I'm saying shut the gently caress up to you AND to the person you are arguing with because you're goddamn insufferable, regardless if I agree with you or not.

Wow such anger just because I don't agree with you? And I'm the insufferable one right?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Really it just goes to show that there actually are religious nutjobs that hate our freedoms and turns out we didn't even need to leave the country to find them

I'm not religious, I'm just the one person here who honestly doesn't care about people getting e-angry at me and is willing to come out and say they don't think this is a bad policy.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No more trans in the military talk, move along to the next topic. Probations going out fast from this post on. Also, sorry to do this but the CE thread is gonna get gassed at this rate. This should be a goldmine of a thread, ya know?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

JacksLibido posted:

Wow such anger just because I don't agree with you? And I'm the insufferable one right?

I'm not religious, I'm just the one person here who honestly doesn't care about people getting e-angry at me and is willing to come out and say they don't think this is a bad policy.

gently caress it I'll eat a probation.

1) I actually agree with you. I'm not on board with transsexuals serving in the military. Obama's original policy of transsexuals needing to be fully transitioned and showing 18 months of mental stability was a fair compromise. What I don't agree with is the REASON for banning transsexuals in the military. To save money to fund a border wall? There are hundreds of other areas, and one elephant in the room (the F35) where the military could cut costs. Saying "gently caress them trannies" to get money (and what amounts to being pennies on a relative scale) is vindictive, not a means to increase force readiness.

2) I am absolutely the most insufferable person when it comes to arguing on this stupid forum.

For all I know you could be the coolest person on the planet, but generally the people who say "I don't care what people think of me" are the people who are hated by the most people. Ask me how I know.

But whether or not you are the coolest person on the planet, you are absolutely being insufferable about this topic, whether or not I agree with you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Well in news that wants to get attention away from a Saturday Night Special on the thread. Republicans like Perjury Elf more than Donman

quote:

Using a word sure to inflame the president — because it's what Trump had accused Sessions of being on Hillary Clinton — Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said the president was being "weak" by letting Sessions twist in the wind.

"I would fire somebody I did not believe would serve me well rather than trying to humiliate them in public, which is a sign of weakness," Graham said. "The president is not trying to use his power, he’s trying to get Sessions to quit. And I hope Sessions doesn’t quit."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republican-senators-steamed-over-trump-attacks-back-sessions-n786686

I dunno what to hope for, because I want sessions fired/quit because he's a weed hating dufus who may or may not be complicit with russian shenanigans, but on the other I don't want Lendsay Graham to get what he wants.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 27, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
DOJ just argued that the Civil Rights Act does not protect Sexual Orientation.

Thanks Log Cabin republicans.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The plot to the new Snake Plissken movie kind of sucks.

http://pix11.com/2017/07/26/rikers-on-lockdown-after-prisoner-escapes/

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

My prediction is he is dead and they just haven't found the body.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

KildarX posted:

Well in news that wants to get attention away from a Saturday Night Special on the thread. Republicans like Perjury Elf more than Donman

I dunno what to hope for, because I want sessions fired/quit because he's a weed hating dufus who may or may not be complicit with russian shenanigans, but on the other I don't want Lendsay Graham to get what he wants.

Sessions was "one of them" so firing the Keebler Klansman might actually be a bridge too far for Republican senators. I couldn't say how deeply they would feel concern before possibly doing nothing about it but from a political ally stand point it's a really dangerous move.

So I'm all for it happening because anything that puts a little bit more pressure on the bloodgates of a Trump/Senate civil war is a good thing. Also it would be taking away something Sessions really, really wants (the ability to turbofuck minorities with the law) and yes I am just that petty.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRISPR chat:

That poo poo is crazy. For anyone that doesn't know what it does, its basically a makerbot for DNA.

I'm REALLY curious what they are going to try next and what kind of whack job laws are going to come out of it.

Fake Edit: I got quoted twice in one post for calling out someone for copy/pasting(!)

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

TBeats posted:

For all I know you could be the coolest person on the planet, but generally the people who say "I don't care what people think of me" are the people who are hated by the most people. Ask me how I know.

Except that prior to me coming out and disagreeing nobody wanted to say anything, and each of you who've said that you who have since come out and agreed with the order have caveated it with "I'll probably be probated but..." Why should respectful discussion of a hot button current event, in a current events thread ever prompt fear of a probate?

quote:

But whether or not you are the coolest person on the planet, you are absolutely being insufferable about this topic, whether or not I agree with you.
Get a thicker skin? I'm asking legitimate questions, not to be a dick but to see what peoples opinions are. I've since learned that President Obama had a policy about accessions that is interesting, but I don't know much about it.

If that makes me "insufferable" then that's on you dude, not me. I can't control people freaking out about it and probably reporting me non-stop, but seriously, it's a current event in the current events thread, and if people really want others to accept their views they should probably back it up with actual arguments.

But it looks like most people don't want to talk about it so I'll go check out DnD I guess.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Sessions was "one of them" so firing the Keebler Klansman might actually be a bridge too far for Republican senators. I couldn't say how deeply they would feel concern before possibly doing nothing about it but from a political ally stand point it's a really dangerous move.

So I'm all for it happening because anything that puts a little bit more pressure on the bloodgates of a Trump/Senate civil war is a good thing. Also it would be taking away something Sessions really, really wants (the ability to turbofuck minorities with the law) and yes I am just that petty.

Trump will sign any legislation that comes across that will burn Obama's legacy to the ground. If you want senate republicans to turn on Trump, you're going to have to turn on Obama.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In non-controversial news, something called the "Blue Whale Suicide Game/Challenge" has apparently made it to Germany.

I barely read two lines on what it's supposed to be before laughing and moving on, but since everything coming out of America is ALL THE RAGE, a bunch of news outlets seem to be taking it seriously and making massive fools of themselves. Thanks, America!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In non-controversial news, something called the "Blue Whale Suicide Game/Challenge" has apparently made it to Germany.

I barely read two lines on what it's supposed to be before laughing and moving on, but since everything coming out of America is ALL THE RAGE, a bunch of news outlets seem to be taking it seriously and making massive fools of themselves. Thanks, America!

I just found out what this was and it's the dumbest possible thing, so yeah we probably thought it up.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Glad to see that even here there are still lovely assholes.

The thing is that the arguments I'm seeing are the same ones that were lodged against LGBT serving in the armed forces, and apparently they're just modified versions of arguments made against integrating the armed forces back during Korea.

So yeah, I'm gonna probably need reasoning better than "but it'll be too hard for the DoD to incorporate" (the DoD had a good compromise set up with Obama's regs, so no, it wouldn't) or "but what about showers/barracks" (this is the exact same reasoning behind the bathroom bills and is deffo an anti-trans comment) or the laughable "it'll save money" (we spend 5x of what we would on transition/gender reassignment on Viagra/ED for gently caress's sake).

Come at me with something substantive that isn't one of those arguments or concede to being on the wrong side of history.

Probate my rear end i don't give a gently caress, I knew some drat good people that ended up transitioning and this is fuckin' disgraceful

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

I just found out what this was and it's the dumbest possible thing, so yeah we probably thought it up.

As per The Sun

quote:

The horrific tasks include self-harming, watching horror movies and waking up at unusual hours, but these gradually get more extreme.

poo poo I'm ahead of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've spent my entire career at a desk job, with the possibility of deployments that would require sitting at a desk in another country. If you think there isn't room for transgender people to serve in the military because of some loving medical treatments you are a grade A retard.

• Locked thread