Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I made a carbon windmill and a very tall tower.

How much energy does this carbon windmill produce and how long does the windmill thingy last? For EU power, I have 3 semifluid generators and 2 LV solar arrays. Getting ready to make a nuclear reactor.

e. And for RF power, I have.. 8 tri-water wheel things with around 20 thermo gens (yellorium+water) and just supplemented that with 3 canola gens with empowered oil.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

for AoE EU power, i did the cheap, non-kinetic windmills, then semifluid, then a 1-chamber nuclear reactor, then a six-chamber, and now i have two passive and three fluid reactors

for RF I did the IE watermill, then empowered oil, then a pair of diesel generators fed by 5 melon cloches, and now i'm working on a tier 4 envirotech solar

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive given up on AoE already.

Spent 20 mins in creative mode dicking around to get stuff working, only to find if i go to close to the cables you die.

IC2 really is garbage.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Meskhenet posted:

Ive given up on AoE already.

Spent 20 mins in creative mode dicking around to get stuff working, only to find if i go to close to the cables you die.

IC2 really is garbage.

Are you using plain cables? Put some rubber on those things to insulate them. I only use plain cables for crafting components, that's it.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Ambaire posted:

How much energy does this carbon windmill produce and how long does the windmill thingy last? For EU power, I have 3 semifluid generators and 2 LV solar arrays. Getting ready to make a nuclear reactor.

e. And for RF power, I have.. 8 tri-water wheel things with around 20 thermo gens (yellorium+water) and just supplemented that with 3 canola gens with empowered oil.

The windmill rotor lasts forever. The carbon one lasts like 7 IRL days.

Power wise, I had 4 at y level 160, and never really had power issues for my EU items. I never built a nuke plant.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

for AoE EU power, i did the cheap, non-kinetic windmills, then semifluid, then a 1-chamber nuclear reactor, then a six-chamber, and now i have two passive and three fluid reactors

for RF I did the IE watermill, then empowered oil, then a pair of diesel generators fed by 5 melon cloches, and now i'm working on a tier 4 envirotech solar

Whenever I use the cloche to make melons, they aren't broken up and the machine won't accept them. How are you breaking them from the cloche?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Whenever I use the cloche to make melons, they aren't broken up and the machine won't accept them. How are you breaking them from the cloche?

Feed them to an assembler, break them into melon slices, then split them 50-50 fermenter and assembler to make seeds to press.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
IC2 is absolutely 100% garbage though, agreed. The fact that anyone uses it in a pack, in any capacity, is ridiculous. Its inclusion was hands down the low point of Infinity Evolved.
Even Forestry I can understand for the occasional player with a beekeeping obsession, and hell Buildcraft hung on for a long time, but IC2 was never good and it only got worse as time went on. How people are still using it now blows my mind.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Run the chat command /tan tempinfo . Most likely what is happening is that the environment is such that you can only cool off so much, and you're just sitting at equilibrium spinning your wheels, expecting the temperature to go down when it's not going to go down any more.

Also, work on cooling items. Make jelled armor and the cooling coils. Set up the coils inside the ship, then head into the back room and sit in that tiny puddle of fake lava. Your change rate will go from 250 to 20. Be careful -- there's real danger of dying from hypothermia that way. :v:

You don't understand. I did this. Full jelled armor, sitting in a fridge room full of cooling coils. Sometimes it would cool me down, sometimes it just wouldn't and I'd die standing there. And I read tips that said, 'Spend the night cooling down as much as possible so you can survive during the day' which is a ridiculous nonsense mechanic in any case and makes loving Enviromine look appealing in comparison, but there were days during 'winter' where I would sit with hypothermia at night and still reach hyperthermia during the day - whereas others I wouldn't do any poo poo but my normal work, and nothing would happen to me.

If it were consistent heat I could say 'Oh yeah I shouldn't do this' or 'I shouldn't stand here' like Enviromine makes very clear but it seems like Tough as Nails' heat algorithm works such that you do arbitrary thing X and then it sets you on a path that means that 4 Minecraft hours later you're going to die and you're not going to stop it. Or 'today is a hot day' and it's gonna give you hyperthermia.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What realism mods could you stack on each other to guarantee death within two game days regardless of what you do? I see this temperature thing. Does that have the sanity and oxygen stuff too? Spice of Life with a huge food list would turn the screws.

Edit: Maybe we need a "random wood splinters from tool handles cause sepsis and you die" mod.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 27, 2017

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
CotT with bloodmoon chance set to 100%.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MaliciousOnion posted:

Hmm maybe there needs to be a bloodsun mod.

Meanwhile I added a lint command to HQM to see the damage for migrating BFSR. There are 435 problems so far. This is just checking for null icons and null tasks elements. Unfortunately, HQM just loads a quest set in one big gulp and lets the back end do things, so I can't trap these problems as they load. I have to go back in afterwards and iterate all the sets, all the quests, and all the tasks to find items that ended up being null. At least my log dump can tell me which and where.

If you are curious, here's my baseline:
https://pastebin.com/ytxUq6L0

So now I have to write a script to chew that up, cross-reference the quest JSON files, and spit out all the blocks and items it doesn't like. Then I can start to write replacement rules. I can then try to load the quests in, relint, and see where I'm at. The good news is I can do this in one session without have to restart the game.

An example of a replacement rule I have to do is switching big reactor identifiers to use extreme reactors instead.

Unfortunately, the blocks that are okay aren't necessarily okay. I think all the Tinkers' Construct tools are busted; they all look like bone or paper. So I'm not out scot-free. But it's a lot easier to get bulk edits of 400+ problems using tools than to manually hack at the quest book.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

I think could survive that with the Engineer path if I worked very fast to get set up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Now that zombies don't nerdpole it would be very easy, just build up in the sky.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ambaire posted:

Feed them to an assembler, break them into melon slices, then split them 50-50 fermenter and assembler to make seeds to press.

huh, I used the placer/breaker from extra utils

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Actually Additions auto placer and auto breaker. Then an ender IO item conduit in round robin mode, dumping to the fermenter and an ExUt2 mechanical crafter. Both have a counting item filter on the Insert conduits limiting the machines to 64 melon slices.

Black Pants posted:

You don't understand. I did this. Full jelled armor, sitting in a fridge room full of cooling coils. Sometimes it would cool me down, sometimes it just wouldn't and I'd die standing there. And I read tips that said, 'Spend the night cooling down as much as possible so you can survive during the day' which is a ridiculous nonsense mechanic in any case and makes loving Enviromine look appealing in comparison, but there were days during 'winter' where I would sit with hypothermia at night and still reach hyperthermia during the day - whereas others I wouldn't do any poo poo but my normal work, and nothing would happen to me.

If it were consistent heat I could say 'Oh yeah I shouldn't do this' or 'I shouldn't stand here' like Enviromine makes very clear but it seems like Tough as Nails' heat algorithm works such that you do arbitrary thing X and then it sets you on a path that means that 4 Minecraft hours later you're going to die and you're not going to stop it. Or 'today is a hot day' and it's gonna give you hyperthermia.

See, I have the opposite experience. With /tan tempinfo on, I know exactly how far I'm going to cool down. If I do the following:

* Go inside the ship
* Turn on the cooling coils
* Go into the back room of the ship and stand in the little puddle of fake lava, which is actually water

I cool down rapidly to single digit temps. I have to worry about hypothermia. I don't even need gelled armor any more -- when my heat gets to 20, I go into the blast freezer and play chicken with frostbite. I can do this any time, day or night.

I have no idea why you're having so much trouble with it. This combination of factors allows me to completely mitigate the heat mechanic of the pack, and it has been extremely consistent. /tan tempinfo tells you everything you need to know, and is available on client or server mode.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ambaire posted:

When I said this, I wasn't aware that melons couldn't be directly crafted to melon slices in AoE.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Actually Additions auto placer and auto breaker. Then an ender IO item conduit in round robin mode, dumping to the fermenter and an ExUt2 mechanical crafter. Both have a counting item filter on the Insert conduits limiting the machines to 64 melon slices.

Thanks, this works beautifully. I ended up only putting a counter on the crafter since it ends up filling with seeds... no real reason not to fill the fermenter/presser.

Edit: I ended up having to install Cyclic for the dungeon finder pearl to get iridium to get started with mass fabrication. Before I did that, I had explored the stronghold, like 3 mineshafts, 5 villages and multiple end fortresses and only found 4 iridium shards.. gently caress that. Third dungeon I find has 2 iridium ore. This will help a bit..

I've also added iron backpacks (great help for clearing chunks with the 5x5 AA drill, gotten a dozen quadruple cobble or so), bibliocraft (for 2x2 shelves), fast leaf decay, faster ladder climbing, mouse tweaks, tinkers tool leveling, tree chopper, and water strainer (for fish). Probably not doing the Age of Engineering pack 'true to the spirit', but who gives a gently caress about that. lol

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 28, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god, endermen have zombie pigman behavior; attack one and all nearby endermen aggro on you.

Also speaking of melons, apparently you need a TE Sawmill to break melons into slices in Forever Stranded. Or a Better with Mods Saw. Which requires a 'Leather Belt' that requires 'Leather Strips', which is shears and 'Cut Leather (Tanned)', which is from shears and 'Tanned Leather', which is from 'Scoured Leather' and 'Oak Bark' in a Cauldron. Scoured Leather being leather in a millstone, and Oak Bark requiring a loving Better With Mods Saw. :wtc:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 28, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a 1.10.2 mod to get block/item ids? NEI has the dumpers, but it is nice to just know right in the game.

Also, did something generally happen between 1.7.10 and 1.10.2 with block and item ids? A lot of my missing stuff is coming up in the item table. I will see a galacticraft thing that used to be item.thing has just become thing.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Oh god, endermen have zombie pigman behavior; attack one and all nearby endermen aggro on you.

Also speaking of melons, apparently you need a TE Sawmill to break melons into slices in Forever Stranded. Or a Better with Mods Saw. Which requires a 'Leather Belt' that requires 'Leather Strips', which is shears and 'Cut Leather (Tanned)', which is from shears and 'Tanned Leather', which is from 'Scoured Leather' and 'Oak Bark' in a Cauldron. Scoured Leather being leather in a millstone, and Oak Bark requiring a loving Better With Mods Saw. :wtc:

I'm guessing there's an alternate recipe for one of those things that allows you to get inside the leather circlejerk.
e: yeah you should be able to get bark via any method that turns logs into planks.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there a 1.10.2 mod to get block/item ids? NEI has the dumpers, but it is nice to just know right in the game.

Also, did something generally happen between 1.7.10 and 1.10.2 with block and item ids? A lot of my missing stuff is coming up in the item table. I will see a galacticraft thing that used to be item.thing has just become thing.
IIRC the jump to 1.8 removed item ID numbers and replaced them with item id strings. So instead of being 17, wood logs are now minecraft:log.

Also, I'm pretty sure 1.7 had both as a kind of stepping stone to prepare modders for the dropping of ids in 1.8.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A neat little "Skyblock Lite" map called "Advanced Sky" just went up on Realms. It's vanilla, enhanced only by 'custom machines' made via command blocks. It looks like skyblocks are continuing to gain mainstream interest, so I look forward to seeing how that develops.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Try right clicking the melon in the world.

Also, oak bark comes from right clicking oak logs in the world with an axe in your hand. I found this out by accident when I was trying to harvest the maple syrup from my maple tree, and it shaved off the spruce bark. Fortunately I had three maple syrup to make a new sapling.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Try right clicking the melon in the world.

Also, oak bark comes from right clicking oak logs in the world with an axe in your hand. I found this out by accident when I was trying to harvest the maple syrup from my maple tree, and it shaved off the spruce bark. Fortunately I had three maple syrup to make a new sapling.

:psyduck:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

fun fact: "Better Than Mods" is a clone of "Better Than Wolves"

though i am not sure if they included the creepy animal sex harness or not though

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

fun fact: "Better Than Mods" is a clone of "Better Than Wolves"

though i am not sure if they included the creepy animal sex harness or not though

'Breeding Harness'

Which is a gimp mask, apparently.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

modded_minecraft dot tga

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Vib Rib posted:

IC2 is absolutely 100% garbage though, agreed. The fact that anyone uses it in a pack, in any capacity, is ridiculous. Its inclusion was hands down the low point of Infinity Evolved.
Even Forestry I can understand for the occasional player with a beekeeping obsession, and hell Buildcraft hung on for a long time, but IC2 was never good and it only got worse as time went on. How people are still using it now blows my mind.

I've always enjoyed bees with addons that add more things you can get from them. I think I was getting some pretty-expensive TE item from them last time I played in 1.7.10.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

modded_minecraft dot tga

I was really upset when they added it to Better With Mods but take solace in the fact that since the devs are not FlowerChild it is possible to use MineTweaker and JEI to hide the loving thing forever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

like the guy who cloned the mod had to consciously decide, "yeah, i think that preserving the freaky animal sex item is a good decision, let's spend a nonzero amount of man hours re-implementing this precious gameplay experience"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is it standing on snad

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

is it standing on snad

oh crap i didn't think of that, maybe that will make the animals gently caress faster

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Vib Rib posted:

I use IC2 to decompress glowstone and quartz blocks. There's no lossless way to do that other than the macerator that I know of. I also use it to get U-235 for use in Gendustry. All that stuff should be handled by other mods IMO, but it's not, so IC2 it is.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just got finished teaching a week-long Minecraft Modding class for kids age 9-15. It was their first modding experience, and used MCreator instead of having them learn Java, which is great, because I didn't know how to do that either. Most of the kids in the class loved making guns and rocket launchers that did 1000+ damage, and most of them made their tech trees as expensive as possible. They had a lot of fun though! Their other favorite thing was making new dimensions with crazy landscapes, and it reminded me of Mystcraft. That mod was fun to mess around in, but unfortunately I looked it up and it has the amazing bug of "sometimes your entire inventory gets deleted when entering a book". Fantastic. Is there anything like that in any of the new mod packs?

I'm a little bored of Vanilla now that I've gotten frustrated with how slow Vanilla mining is. What's the mod pack of choice these days?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BJPaskoff posted:

That mod was fun to mess around in, but unfortunately I looked it up and it has the amazing bug of "sometimes your entire inventory gets deleted when entering a book". Fantastic. Is there anything like that in any of the new mod packs?

I'm a little bored of Vanilla now that I've gotten frustrated with how slow Vanilla mining is. What's the mod pack of choice these days?

RFTools dimensions allow you to create custom dimensions, but they need to be powered with RF. There's also a lot less random grinding to do, because a lot of the parts, like biome and time and block composition can be crafted.

I mostly play challenge modpacks, so I have been digging Age of Engineering. It's pretty tough! There's custom tech tree progression and you have to do a lot of IC2.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

I'm doing dumb things with this EMC loop I mentioned in PO2. Between that, and three other condenser chests producing the tools from round-robin Morningstars, I can make an infinite supply of anything that costs EMC. This includes nearly all components for Solar Panel XII that generates half a million RF/tick; that's approximately equal to a single BigReactor turbine off a single block. I've taken a look-see at Avaritia which would require that insane amount of items and the majority of the stuff can be condensed; pink slime crystals, meat ingots and natura's berries are notable ones that cannot. So I guess that's my next goal.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For the madmen among us playing Age of Engineering, did you manage to get the Age 7 trophy to trigger? I dropped and picked up the pattern storage several times but did not get the trophy thing. I just finished crafting the atomic calculator and didn't get the Age 8 trophy either.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

For the madmen among us playing Age of Engineering, did you manage to get the Age 7 trophy to trigger? I dropped and picked up the pattern storage several times but did not get the trophy thing. I just finished crafting the atomic calculator and didn't get the Age 8 trophy either.

Did you craft them with the RFTools storage scanner thingie? If so, they won't trigger the trophy.

Craft the item by itself in a vanilla crafting table, or just in your 2x2 area of your inventory -- it'll craft into itself, which triggers the trophy.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Did you craft them with the RFTools storage scanner thingie? If so, they won't trigger the trophy.

Craft the item by itself in a vanilla crafting table, or just in your 2x2 area of your inventory -- it'll craft into itself, which triggers the trophy.

That did it, thanks. Although I tried crafting the atomic calculator before the storage and as a result, apparently it bugged out and I didn't get the age 8 one. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm assuming after a whole lot of messing around that'll get most of the BFSR quest book ported to 1.10.2 using a bunch of regular expressions. This is going to migrate a bunch of ID codes. I am wondering if there's a tool for world data that will let me do a similar thing for my tutorial dimension. I'm assuming there's a header block with the IDs and I am hoping to apply the same regular expressions there.