Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

yronic heroism posted:

Democrats obviously need some Senators from red states if they're ever going to have another majority. Which states do we have to abandon as Insufficiently leftist keeping in mind we probably have to do the same with some "blue" neoliberal states too, right?

i'm not advocating for abandoning states (cause guess what! my state is an abandoned state!!)

i'm advocating for abadoning false democrats. hth

the dems need to start running dems in every state, and actual dems. dems that aren't afraid of a democratic message like higher minimum wage and punishing wall street banks and better healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shorter NFS: White fragility.txt

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I honestly feel the Left would be in a better position if it wasn't just rehashing the feuds of Clinton and Sanders. I get the point of electoral analysis, but that doesn't seem like what people are focused on.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yronic heroism posted:

Shorter NFS: White fragility.txt

Sorry for caring

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

i'm not advocating for abandoning states (cause guess what! my state is an abandoned state!!)

i'm advocating for abadoning false democrats. hth

the dems need to start running dems in every state, and actual dems. dems that aren't afraid of a democratic message like higher minimum wage and punishing wall street banks and better healthcare

Good for you. Maybe you should run for office. Seriously.

I was responding to this "why be red state Dems at all" thing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

imagine being a democrat in a red state, and hoping and wishing we could get some basic social services, maybe lakes that don't make you sick, etc and the dems will only run candidates that are one step to the left of the monsters who decided we don't need workers comp anymore

that sucks big ones. and if people want republicans they'll vote for republicans. dems have to set themselves apart, even in red states. and being one step to the left of your opponent really doesn't distinguish you

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

remember ossoff, and how shittily he did. it's cause when it came down to it the biggest differences between him and his opponent was which party was backing them. and hey, ossoff's party is somehow even less liked than the republicans or trump

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 26, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Ardennes posted:

I think he might mean the Saudis.

No, I know he's refering to the Saudis, but I mean that Haiti is another layer on the delicious shitcake that is the Clinton reputation globally.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Democrazy posted:

I honestly feel the Left would be in a better position if it wasn't just rehashing the feuds of Clinton and Sanders. I get the point of electoral analysis, but that doesn't seem like what people are focused on.

you're right.

the clintonites should bend the knee.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

Democrats obviously need some Senators from red states if they're ever going to have another majority. Which states do we have to abandon as Insufficiently leftist keeping in mind we probably have to do the same with some "blue" neoliberal states too, right?

lol, look at this bullshit. I guess it's good that every state can be neatly categorized as red or blue now and will stay that way forevermore, or you would literally be contradicting yourself like a real dumbo.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

remember ossoff, and how shittily he did. it's cause when it came down to it the biggest differences between him and his opponent was which party was backing them. and hey, ossoff's party is somehow even less liked than the republicans or trump

Seems to depend on the state/district and the candidate. Ossoff probably isn't more conservative than Manchin even though WV is way more conservative than GA-6. There are still blue dogs who get elected. Some of them are more eager to associate with Sanders than with Clinton. Doesn't mean they need to be beloved figures by the left, but if there is a more leftist alternative by all means let them take a shot at the primary. This is why we have primaries ffs.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're right.

the clintonites should bend the knee.

I know, let's demand the 60 percent of primary voters who didn't go our way last time literally bow down in the language of a neckbeard 70 yr old pervert fantasy writer. That'll show them.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

yronic heroism posted:

I know, let's demand the 60 percent of primary voters who didn't go our way last time literally bow down in the language of a neckbeard 70 yr old pervert fantasy writer. That'll show them.

Hillary Clinton own(s/ed) slaves.

Matt Zerella posted:

the line in the sand for anyone should be universal non-means tested, non-market based healthcare.

I'd swallow pretty much anything if a candidate supported that and took no money from insurance/pharma donors.

Me too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yronic heroism posted:

holy poo poo you're dumber than dirt.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

Even better, let's pretend that every dem supporter's political opinions were locked in place by their vote in the 2016 primary and shall remain unchanged for all time.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Even better, let's pretend that every dem supporter's political opinions were locked in place by their vote in the 2016 primary and shall remain unchanged for all time.

Well the neckbeard quote isn't how I'd go about softening them up but whatever. Maybe they love being told "gently caress you" by way of a neckbeard in a beret.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm not a neckbeard tho. i'm fit and well groomed. so bend the knee.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

Actually it will. Even if the left is a minority in the party (it's not) there's an incredible amount of power in withholding support since even 10% can mean the difference between victory and defeat. By withholding our votes (or voting third party) we are essentially holding the power of the establishment class hostage in exchange for much needed structural reforms. It's not glamorous, but it works.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

If it's not a minority in the party it can just win primaries, no?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm not a neckbeard tho. i'm fit and well groomed. so bend the knee.

She wanna get primaried tonight but I can't bend the knee cause I'm to busy calling her white

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

If it's not a minority in the party it can win primaries, no?

Yes, it can. And as people get more and more angry I think you'll start to see progressive upsets happen more and more often.

Calling it now: When progressives start to have primary successes people like yronic and JC will shift the goalposts and argue that the left isn't winning *enough* and therefore is still not a significant portion of the party. Just watch.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

readingatwork posted:

Yes, it can. And as people get more and more angry I think you'll start to see progressive upsets happen more and more often.

Calling it now: When progressives start to have primary successes people like yronic and JC will shift the goalposts and argue that the left isn't winning *enough* and therefore is still not a significant portion of the party. Just watch.

This is how they handwave away any DSA endorsed candidate who gets elected to local govt. something the democrats have failed to do for years and especially so under Obama who didn't give two shits about building the party up the way republicans have been doing since the 70s.

No need to watch, it's very much a thing already.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

readingatwork posted:

i agree most of the party is progressive. I'm just not sure progressive means to me what it means to you.

How many Dem Senators do you think will get successfully primaried in 2018 and 2020? I predict the number is zero.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

yronic heroism posted:

i agree most of the party is progressive. I'm just not sure progressive means to me what it means to you.

How many Dem Senators do you think will get successfully primaried in 2018 and 2020? I predict the number is zero.

That seems like a pretty narrow definition of success. What about state and local elections? I'm far from an expert but I'd argue that the answer is at least "some".

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

To me success means a lot more federal office holders will get behind single payer. I know that some of our regulars have a hard on for purges tho, but if the standard is "every dem senator is a neoliberal shill at best" (which is a position taken by some here) they ain't purging poo poo.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

yronic heroism posted:

To me success means a lot more federal office holders will get behind single payer. I know that some of our regulars have a hard on for purges tho, but if the standard is "every dem senator is a neoliberal shill at best" (which is a position taken by some here) they ain't purging poo poo.

The bolded is what you're not getting, nor going to get from most currently elected democrats. So that purge you're opposing in the next sentence? A necessary pre-condition to succeed by your criterion.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

They'll just change their position. That's politics. Happened with same sex marriage.

But if you disagree, tell me which Dem US senators you see getting successfully primaried in the next 4 years. I might just Toxx you on it if I think it's ridiculous enough..

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 27, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If Daines gets his single payer amdmt in, I'd start with every single democrat who votes against it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Manchin is better than better-than-Manchin-but-a-Republican because he's a vote for a Democrat for Senate Majority Leader - a vote in favor of a Democrat controlling what votes make it to the floor of the Senate instead of a Republican. Which would have meant Justice Garland instead of Justice Gorsuch.

It's actually better than we've got Gorsuch in instead of Garland because we know exactly what Gorsuch is going to do in every situation. Garland would just serve to give false hope when he inevitably stabbed us in the back on a major issue, but King Hussein was too busy hoping to get patted on the head by McConnell and told he was a good boy to actually do anything helpful.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's actually better than we've got Gorsuch in instead of Garland because we know exactly what Gorsuch is going to do in every situation. Garland would just serve to give false hope when he inevitably stabbed us in the back on a major issue, but King Hussein was too busy hoping to get patted on the head by McConnell and told he was a good boy to actually do anything helpful.

:wrong:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Matt Zerella posted:

If Daines gets his single payer amdmt in, I'd start with every single democrat who votes against it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

2 stars for effort

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Manchin is better than better-than-Manchin-but-a-Republican because he's a vote for a Democrat for Senate Majority Leader - a vote in favor of a Democrat controlling what votes make it to the floor of the Senate instead of a Republican. Which would have meant Justice Garland instead of Justice Gorsuch.

He's damaging to the Democrat's brand, especially if he uses his leverage to pull legislation to the right during close votes. Better off without him long term.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chomskyan posted:

He's damaging to the Democrat's brand, especially if he uses his leverage to pull legislation to the right during close votes. Better off without him long term.

In the long run we are all dead

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

There's literally been one trump voter ITT, and he's given an understandable (even if you disagree with it) reasonable post for why

I voted for Trump :smugdon:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ugh its Troika posted:

I voted for Trump :smugdon:

how's the anime becoming real going

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
Did everyone forget what this thread is about? We're all Americans, at the end of the day we all have the same problems and I think it's high time as a thread we roll our sleeves up, focus our hearts and limply claw at the gnarled acorn beneath John McCain's surgical gown until he mercifully succumbs to cranial edema.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Okay, lets start with this guy:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bernie-sanders-refuses-to-support-sham-republican-single-payer-amendment/article/2629825

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Wow you really got him :rolleyes:

quote:

"The Democratic caucus will not participate in the Republicans' sham process. No amendment will get a vote until we see the final legislation and know what bill we are amending," Josh Miller-Lewis, a spokesperson for Sanders, said in a text sent to Vox.

Miller-Lewis added, "Once Republicans show us their final bill, Sen. Sanders looks forward to getting a vote on his amendment that makes clear the Senate believes that the United States must join every major country and guarantee health care as a right, not a privilege."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

yronic heroism posted:

just for the record, having read c-spam from conception to today, "bend the knee" was a term Hillary supporters used in reference to Bernie not conceding the primary early enough.

It's kind of gross to try to put a misogynistic spin to it when it starts being turned around on them.

This is the republican equivalent of "no gun permits for people on the no-fly list". And just like it, nobody but political junkies obsessed with X dimensional chess moves will give a poo poo about it.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread