Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Make sure your hepatitis B vaccine is up to date if you didn't get that, it is extremely common in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

A PA is a Dr-Lite. Physician's assistant.

Yeah I'm shot up with hep A/B and typhoid. I'll stop worrying.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Does anyone have any recommendations for skiing in China besides "the ski lift will drop you because it was made with chubudao" and "don't die"?

Wife and I are thinking we might go over Christmas/New Year

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

simplefish posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for skiing in China besides "the ski lift will drop you because it was made with chubudao" and "don't die"?

Yeah, Japan.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Have done it before and yeah it was great, japan goons gave great advice and we had a blast. But I have spent a considerable amount on a China miulti-entry visa and year-long insurance and want to get the most out if it

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Multi entry means you can go to other countries.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

One of GTA's friend went skiing in China. The place where the next Winter Olympics will be held, pictures look nice!

Stringent posted:

Yeah, Japan.

I will just stick with Canada and Vancouver thanks. But am tempted to try Tohuku someday

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Multi entry means you can go to other countries.

Multi entry means china is another country and i dont live there :ssh:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

caberham posted:

One of GTA's friend went skiing in China. The place where the next Winter Olympics will be held, pictures look nice!

I will just stick with Canada and Vancouver thanks. But am tempted to try Tohuku someday

Awesome, will hit him up for deets

In Japan, we went to Nozawa onsen resort, did the whole tatami mat room bed-and-breakfast deal. It was great, even though the snow was kinda running out by the end of the week and I broke a rib being a stupid bastard

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Hokkaido or Gunma/Niigata are the better picks most years. Last year was weird and Tohoku got the Honshu snow.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

North Korea has great winter sports

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I went skiing in Yabuli, near Harbin, it wasn't worth it unless it's your first or second time skiing ever.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks for the tip - it would be my 2nd time on a snow holiday, yeah.

Was it China-level crowded or do people not go skiing much in China yet?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
they don't ski much, but that doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people laying around on their backs in the middle of the slope waiting for someone to come pick them up. When I went in 2010 I was slaloming people laying around with their skis straight up out of the snow, almost satire-like. I taught skiing for a season in Utah and every one of the people north of Beijing wouldn't have passed my first class lol

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
First time I went skiing was at Kiroro in Hokkaido. One of my fellow students, a Chinese lady, crashed into me as I was trying to pick myself up from a fall on the baby slope.

I guess it's a pretty good spot if you are capable of skiing. I'm not. I'll stick to cross country if I ever ski again.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Cross Country Skiing really is the best kind, plus it's the best exercise-wise.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Shitloads of Chinese ppl come to Japan to ski.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

10 days out from my arrival to Shanghai. I think I have my bases covered.

Except for one dumb thing.
I am an idiot who likes combat sports. I'm looking forward to watch dumb Floyd Mayweather fight and UFC events.
Is there a place in Shanghai anyone can recommend to watch these things. 10 am on Saturday mornings?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you join a local mma gym there's probably Someone there who can help.

Or some internet stream

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TheReverend posted:

I am an idiot who likes combat sports. I'm looking forward to watch dumb Floyd Mayweather fight and UFC events.
Is there a place in Shanghai anyone can recommend to watch these things. 10 am on Saturday mornings?

For big stuff there definitely will be. I went to a lot of stanley cup matches at like 8am at bars so for things that are actually popular there will be places to watch them. Just gotta search around and see what's playing what. There's one called big bamboo which is a sports bar chain in Shanghai with a few locations, and they normally play this stuff and serve nice western-style breakfasts at the same time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh right and super bowl mornings, fun times

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheReverend posted:

The Camel will probably be showing it. They show everything, even college football.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheReverend posted:

you will have zero problem finding a place to watch this in shanghai

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

We just got the date of Mrs. Warbird's green card interview with the feds. It's the day after our wedding in China. :suicide:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I'm going to Beijing, Xian, Hong Kong and Shanghai in September and I'm wondering if anyone's got any advice for avoiding meat in these areas. It's a practical as much as ethical concern because I've been veggie my whole life and have learned the few times I have accidentally eaten meat that my digestive system is not equipped for that job at all, and as much as I love adventurous food I don't love it as much as I love not spending my vacation puking.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pack your own lunch and bring it with you.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Plenty of vegetarian places in hong kong, buddhism optional. plenty of places with vegetarian options too

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm going to Beijing, Xian, Hong Kong and Shanghai in September and I'm wondering if anyone's got any advice for avoiding meat in these areas. It's a practical as much as ethical concern because I've been veggie my whole life and have learned the few times I have accidentally eaten meat that my digestive system is not equipped for that job at all, and as much as I love adventurous food I don't love it as much as I love not spending my vacation puking.

Beijing and Shanghai have plenty of places to accommodate you, there's plenty of vegan/vegetarian/places that cater to westerners and young fancy professionals.

Stay away from smaller more local-ish shops if it's a real issue and you can't speak/read Chinese to request dishes without it.

Xi'an I have no idea! It'll probably have some places????

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jul 27, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Buddhist temples/monasteries sometimes have vegan restaurants open to the public. That's the most reliable way to get veggie food in East Asia.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Xi'an was one of the worst cities we visited in China, and is encased in a fart cloud. One of the main appeals of not-suckitude in the city is the street food district, which is basically varieties of lamb and lamb soup and lamb bun and lamb noodle (all of these are mutton).

Your best bet is probably, like the others mentioned, to look for buddhist food- or get used to rice for a few days.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

It's surprisingly easy to eat vegetarian in China, despite what many people say. You can often order dishes and specify you want them without meat, too. "buyao rou" or "wo bu chi rou". Sorry, can't be bothered to do the tonal notation. Some of the food may be a little average, but the vegetarian restaurants are usually amazing.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a7m2 posted:

It's surprisingly easy to eat vegetarian in China, despite what many people say. You can often order dishes and specify you want them without meat, too. "buyao rou" or "wo bu chi rou". Sorry, can't be bothered to do the tonal notation. Some of the food may be a little average, but the vegetarian restaurants are usually amazing.

what usually happens though is that the waitress says "ok" and then brings you whatever poo poo she feels like

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

what usually happens though is that the waitress says "ok" and then brings you whatever poo poo she feels like

if you dont eat meat you can just not eat them from the dish

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jeoh posted:

the girl who worked for me from 2015-2017 didn't think this was acceptable

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tofu dishes will often have meat too because tofu is considered to be an ingredient on its own, not a meat replacement.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Yeah if you're fine with this it's easy, if not you're gonna probably get some meat and have issues. A coworker of mine (Chinese) is a semi-strict vegetarian and always asks if this bean or tofu dish has meat/etc and if so to skip it, and they constantly gets meat in things anyway and just eat around it. A lot of chefs here assume no meat means like no big chunks of meat but the random gristle in the tofu dish is fine.

Some people don't want anything that's touched meat (or can't eat that) so it gets harder.

But yeah, plenty of vegetarian dishes exist and places that can cater to that also do, but if you're a strict vegetarian or vegan/with no real working knowledge of Chinese I'd stay away from local mom & pop jia chang cai places.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Xi'an is awesome, and has awesome food, but most of the famous dishes contain meat. If you stick to places with photo menus, and pick the inexpensive vegetable looking dishes, or green vegetable noodle dishes, you should avoid the majority of the meat. Also, when you're looking at the Chinese menus, anything with 肉 (ròu) in the name contains meat of some kind. You can point at a dish and ask the waitress "Yǒu méiyǒu ròu ma?“ Where "Yǒu méiyǒu" means have/don't have. If the waitress responds “yǒu a”, it's got meat. You want to listen for "méiyǒu", which means don't have.

You'll hear "méiyǒu" everywhere, like when you ask for a cold beer, or cold water, or a doctor that can speak english, or bread that's not full of sugar, or a mask because the pollution in Xi'an has hit PM 2.5 of 150, 4 times in the last couple of weeks.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cymbal Monkey posted:

in all seriousness just print this out and show it to every restaurant you go to

你好 要吃素食的 我不可以吃肉 你可以帮助我么?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Looking to take a trip from Shanghai to Bangkok from 9/29 to 10/8. Prices seem expensive online! Is it any cheaper in person in Shanghai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TheReverend posted:

Looking to take a trip from Shanghai to Bangkok from 9/29 to 10/8. Prices seem expensive online! Is it any cheaper in person in Shanghai?

Prices for what?