Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay so from fiddling around a little bit as far as I can tell monk tanking is like this:

1) Run around being pretty squishy
2) Find mob group worth tanking
3) Epiphany and then teleport in, immediately drop cyclone strike and sanctuary followed by blinding flash and a hit of crippling wave to get up the buff.
4) Hold down M1 and mantra of healing
5) Refresh sanctuary, epiphany and cyclone as needed while blinding flashing on cd
6) Briefly step out/relocate as needed to avoid beefy poo poo like molten explosions or arcane sentries directly on you

Is there anything more than that? Sometimes I just seem to die instantly and I'm not sure why it happens but otherwise this seems to work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Big Dog Build

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'd really much rather have the short man's finger, sounds like three mini-gargantuans with cleave, or three restless protectors would serve me much better.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Everyone says that Witch Doctors do pet builds better than Necromancers. Can someone please point me to a good pet build? I recently got WD to 70 and I had waaaaay more fun with the Necro.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

spit on my clit posted:

I'd really much rather have the short man's finger, sounds like three mini-gargantuans with cleave, or three restless protectors would serve me much better.
If you're choosing between the two Short man is a no brainer.

This season though I didn't have my traveller's set anyway so I ran with both. The Tall man added about 5GR levels. Only drawback is if you're running with the Leeching beasts is you don't get as much healing.

As an aside lost my first HC witch doctor. Ran into a double pack with a mixture of Jailer, Frozen, Arcane, Desecrator, Vortex. I shoulda just ran.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 27, 2017

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Okay so from fiddling around a little bit as far as I can tell monk tanking is like this:

1) Run around being pretty squishy
2) Find mob group worth tanking
3) Epiphany and then teleport in, immediately drop cyclone strike and sanctuary followed by blinding flash and a hit of crippling wave to get up the buff.
4) Hold down M1 and mantra of healing
5) Refresh sanctuary, epiphany and cyclone as needed while blinding flashing on cd
6) Briefly step out/relocate as needed to avoid beefy poo poo like molten explosions or arcane sentries directly on you

Is there anything more than that? Sometimes I just seem to die instantly and I'm not sure why it happens but otherwise this seems to work pretty well.

Post your build/profile. If you find yourself squishy, you're probably letting your DR buffs drop (spirit guards and lefebvre's) when moving between setup locations. Get into the habit of punching the air if there's no mobs to proc spirit guards. You need perma epiphany/inner sanc, and you'll be able to teleport/dash to a mob with crippling wave or cyclone strike. Mantra of healing results in lousy heals, Cyclone strike - soothing breeze is actually the majority of the heals, and how you reset inner sanc.

1. Enter GR, stick with DPS, it's a lot easier with LoN WDs, but remember the DPS aren't wearing illusory boots, so they can easily get stuck on mobs. Let zbarb cast IP/charge ahead to find the spot for you to drop inner sanc (disregard if you're doing 1 zmonk/3 lightning wiz, then it's just cyclone strike elites).
2. Drop inner sanc, crippling wave+cyclone strike If you have plenty of spirit, pop your mantra, but you want to focus on cyclone strike spamming.
3. During this time the zbarb should have come back/dragged mobs to you and recast IP. If there's not enough density, stick with DPS and follow barb.

In general there should be a "shot caller" i.e. zbarb is best since it should be dropping IP, scouting ahead while pulling mobs to zmonk. If this doesn't happen, figure out real quick if DPS can kill the elites or not. It should be real obvious if you have enough density, the goal of a GR is to finish the rift as fast as you can, it is not to kill every elite. If you see bad affixes (juggernaut, teleporter, illusionist) feel free to skip if there's not enough mobs nearby.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Inna 6 + Raiment 2 + Shenlong is a Fun Monk.

My ghost buddies and I cruise around town, punching the bad guys

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Any protips for completing the Helltooth Witch Doctor Dungeon Set Challenge?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Furism posted:

Any protips for completing the Helltooth Witch Doctor Dungeon Set Challenge?

Best tip is to not do that one. Arachyr is much easier. Zuni is also much easier if you have Wilken's reach so your grasp has no cooldown. If you really want to do HT, then wear a mara's in the cube so you are immune to poison damage, which negates one objective completely, but you'll still have to roam around grouping packs for the other. Always use Shukrani's Triumph in your hanf for set dungeons since you can use the 100% movement spirit walk indefinitely while searching for that 1 missed mob.

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

Work Friend Keven posted:

Every dollar I spend on video games actually saves me money, because it helpfully keeps me out of the world where I'd probably buy snowcones.

Don't hold yourself back my friend, snowcones are wonderful things.

So, I decided to farm that new area in Act IV that looks like a maze, I can't remember the name, for Rainbow Gobs. 4th game, I get one. The first mob inside the portal - Princess Lillian. Hello Cosmic Wings. That was the first time I tried farming those. I logged off shortly afterwards, and I'm pretty sure I'll never get another piece of good gear to drop now.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Nuebot posted:

So if anyone knows, I'm looking for Leoric's Shinbone. It spawns in the manor fireplace, I know that much. But is that the same manor you warp right in front of in adventure mode? Because the guides don't mention that warp at all.

Yes, that's the place; off to the right just before the diverging staircases is a study with the fireplace. The guides don't mention that waypoint because it didn't exist back when the pony level was at all relevant, it was only added in the last couple patches.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I would rather make a completely new class than try to the HT set dungeon again. I gave up after 2-3 tries with Maras. Inarius on necro was so drat easy. It still took me two tries because I did it too fast the first time and didn't wait for cooldowns to meet one of the reqs. :lol:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Everyone says that Witch Doctors do pet builds better than Necromancers. Can someone please point me to a good pet build? I recently got WD to 70 and I had waaaaay more fun with the Necro.

IMO, WD is worse with pets because their pets are dumb. With Necro you can command them to attack something vs. recast and pray. I got frustrated with HT and kept seeing necros wreck everything, so I finally bought the necro pack and made one. :v: I've cleared GR75 with necro, best I could do with my WD with HT was around 71. YMMV.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have spent a long time, before the necromancer came out, trying to get that special thing from Chiltara in the caverns of frost. I'd quite like to make the staff and have every other thing needed, just sadly Chiltara will not drop it for me :(

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You should try I6 U2 Exploding Palm fire variant when you want to mix it up. It doesn't push as deep into GRs as the R2 version but it is pretty fun. Its basically punching things so hard they catch on fire and explode.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

This is a basic GR Cold Garg HT setup: http://www.diablofans.com/builds/92734-gargantuan-build-with-helltooth-set-gr90

You can wear Mask of Jordan and cube T&T, depending which one is better for pet damage. You can also use Pierce the Veil over confidence ritual so you can hang back. You can also use snakes instead of cat on offhand. Also, you won't need stricken anytime soon, so use Powerful instead (or Esoteric when elemental effects are hitting you hard).

For torment speed, you can use the chicken weapon/offhand and just swap Spirit Walk with Hex: Angry Chicken and zip around everywhere.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

I actually take back what I said because the necro is a lot of fun. However I've seen this very argument used a lot and it confuses me to no end. Should I buy every game under $10 just because it costs similarly to junk food?

If there's any chance you might enjoy it more than that Big Mac then yes.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

DrSeRRoD posted:

Best tip is to not do that one. Arachyr is much easier. Zuni is also much easier if you have Wilken's reach so your grasp has no cooldown. If you really want to do HT, then wear a mara's in the cube so you are immune to poison damage, which negates one objective completely, but you'll still have to roam around grouping packs for the other. Always use Shukrani's Triumph in your hanf for set dungeons since you can use the 100% movement spirit walk indefinitely while searching for that 1 missed mob.

I havent tried arachyr or zuni but jade harvester was extremely easy as well

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DrSeRRoD posted:

But that's the one set I have from the Seasonal Reward :(

I'll keep trying, your tips are very good. I guess I need to farm these Legendaries you mention first.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
gently caress it i guess ill buy necromancer. how do you gear up dudes when youve already claimed your easy seasonal reward? just run like low difficulty and hope you get drops?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

dangerdoom volvo posted:

gently caress it i guess ill buy necromancer. how do you gear up dudes when youve already claimed your easy seasonal reward? just run like low difficulty and hope you get drops?

You get your guy powerleveled to 70 while using the blood shards + crafting mats you've already accumulated to whip up a new set. If you're determined to make a Necro you can just run a few rifts on your current dude with the plentiful Necro players currently in the seasonal channel and scoop up all their trash loot.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Has anyone tried out the Pestilence set? It appears to be the least amusing. Trag'Oul's looks boring to play but at least powerful, Inarius and Rathma look/are interesting to play, but Pestilence seems to not manage either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pestilence can be fun when you insta-Bone Pop an elite for a hundred beezy but it's lacking in damage beyond T13 farming, and grinds to a halt on bounties. Buffs to the 6pc are supposedly on the way that will buff all Corpse skills by 3000%, not just Spear.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

exquisite tea posted:

You get your guy powerleveled to 70 while using the blood shards + crafting mats you've already accumulated to whip up a new set. If you're determined to make a Necro you can just run a few rifts on your current dude with the plentiful Necro players currently in the seasonal channel and scoop up all their trash loot.

Yep, just ask to leech in LLJK and you'll be geared in a couple hours.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Pestilence can be fun when you insta-Bone Pop an elite for a hundred beezy but it's lacking in damage beyond T13 farming, and grinds to a halt on bounties. Buffs to the 6pc are supposedly on the way that will buff all Corpse skills by 3000%, not just Spear.

Gotcha.

It's a shame that Trag's is BIC because talk about a snoozer. I watched some some guy do a GR 115 or something and he just did nothing until Simulacrum and Lance were off CD, holds down right-click for six seconds, then goes back to running around in circles.

COE is boring, LoN Bombardment is boring, Trag's is boring, cooldown builds are boring. It's a shame they keep ending up so good.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
That's not the only Trag'Oul build

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

spit on my clit posted:

the gently caress am i supposed to do to complete the helltooth dungeon? uh, yeah, not taking poison damage is gonna be hard considering EVERYTHING I DO IS POISON, SO THERE'S GREEN ALL OVER THE loving PLACE. Also, "Kill 20 enemies with a single wall of death" does this mean...kill 20 enemies that are INSIDE a wall of death? or do i only kill them WITH wall of death? What the gently caress is with the vague rear end descriptions

edit: do i even get anything good from this

ahahahaha holy gently caress full helltooth makes me shred through everything on torment 5, even with two friends. im killing em all, bitch!!!

Cube or wear the amulet the negates posion damage.

Even if you do that dungeon still sucks poo poo because good luck getting 20 things into a wall of death 4 times.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Trying to get two good shenlong's is a pain in the rear end though :(

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

whalestory posted:

Trying to get two good shenlong's is a pain in the rear end though :(

I can never get the second Shenlongs. I just end up getting a hundred copies of the one, and you can't convert it since its only a 2pc set. :argh:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Gotcha.

COE is boring, LoN Bombardment is boring, Trag's is boring, cooldown builds are boring. It's a shame they keep ending up so good.

:yeah:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I can agree with very long CDs being boring, but even in the worst case scenario a CoE cycle is 20 seconds. CoE owns, actually.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Thinking about farming up an Innas' set. Raiment is boring me, and I don't feel like rolling up another char.

I've never really played wiz enough to have/use the sets. Is Tals the thunder hydra thing?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

5 tal and 3 vyr + rorg and the manald heal ring

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

big nipples big life posted:

Even if you do that dungeon still sucks poo poo because good luck getting 20 things into a wall of death 4 times.
I didn't find that part so bad.. I just dismissed all my pets, took the Fire Wall rune and ran around the map. There are only a few spots where you can find enough monsters to do it, but with some minor kiting I just dropped down a fire line and ran back and forth over it so they all died in the fire. Could be I just got lucky, but Fire Wall definitely seemed to help as you don't need to herd them all so closely together as it lasts quite a while and you can just lure them all in one after the other.

Wasn't particularly well-geared either. Now I just need that amulet so I can actually finish the set dungeon once and for all. Definitely the worst part of my season experience so far.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I finished up getting the arachyr set last night but it's not rolled or anything yet so i'll give the firewall a try.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I can agree with very long CDs being boring, but even in the worst case scenario a CoE cycle is 20 seconds. CoE owns, actually.

CoE is fine if you're goofing off. As stated earlier, what's frustrating is that when you want to really push up the GRs, you have to start paying close attention to the cycle and time your damage dumps in line with it.

This play style isn't necessarily undesirable, but that feature of it is compounded by the fact that it's part of a large percentage of end-game builds across all classes. I don't have D3 up right now so it's inconvenient to check, but I'd bet 5/6 top solo builds use it. Whenever an item is virtually mandatory like that, it's poorly designed.

And don't forget how miserable it is to actually keep track of the cycle with that icon. I've always thought that if I wanted to truly push up the GRs, I'd need to build some sort of AHK script to make it more obvious when I'm supposed to be shooting.

e: At the end of last season, every class but WD and Wiz used CoE to top solo GR. That includes Necro this season.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 27, 2017

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

The Wonder Weapon posted:

CoE is fine if you're goofing off. As stated earlier, what's frustrating is that when you want to really push up the GRs, you have to start paying close attention to the cycle and time your damage dumps in line with it.

This play style isn't necessarily undesirable, but that feature of it is compounded by the fact that it's part of a large percentage of end-game builds across all classes. I don't have D3 up right now so it's inconvenient to check, but I'd bet 5/6 top solo builds use it. Whenever an item is virtually mandatory like that, it's poorly designed.

And don't forget how miserable it is to actually keep track of the cycle with that icon. I've always thought that if I wanted to truly push up the GRs, I'd need to build some sort of AHK script to make it more obvious when I'm supposed to be shooting.

e: At the end of last season, every class but WD and Wiz used CoE to top solo GR. That includes Necro this season.

Both the monk builds I'm loving around with use it and I hate it. I want to find something else to use even if it means I can only push like 5 levels lower. I just want to be able to clear gr70 for primals.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Furism posted:

But that's the one set I have from the Seasonal Reward :(

I'll keep trying, your tips are very good. I guess I need to farm these Legendaries you mention first.

Just play out the season normally until you get those items. Plenty of websites that list Season 11 quests so you can see behind the padlocks. Don't act like you're stuck until you do that set.

edit: vvvv thanks! At work and couldn't find the link

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 27, 2017

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just play out the season normally until you get those items. Plenty of websites that list Season 11 quests so you can see behind the padlocks. Don't act like you're stuck until you do that set.

http://d3resource.com/journey/

This is probably one of the better ones around.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So I finally got around to the challenge rift for the week. I have 2 level 70 monks (my first character and the only other season I've played in I made another one) and it still took me 4 tries to get through it. Whoever built that character doesn't understand how anything in this game works. It was actually painful to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Everyone is wrong. Rathma is a top build. Only 2nd best because Tragul is OP