Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF8 is literally FF: High School Anime Drama Edition and it's loving awful sorry.

Hey check out how cool I am I stated my opinion as a fact and maybe I should've gotten rid of the capital letters and punctuation for maximum poo poo post meltdown bait.

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So what exactly do you do in the FFXV online mode? Is it just co-op? Because I'd be down for some co-op.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Barudak posted:

So what exactly do you do in the FFXV online mode? Is it just co-op? Because I'd be down for some co-op.

It sounds like co-op but it also sounds like you're just in some special mode or dungeon, you can't just chill out and do quests together in the overworld from the sound of it.

Which comeon give me and FF that has co-op in the main game and holy poo poo that'd be rad.

Like what if you made a game like FFXIII's combat but the side characters are controlled by other people playing in co-op ? Or XVs that's fine too if they can pull that off.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barudak posted:

considering it's supposed to come out in at least a year from now nobody really knows

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

considering it's supposed to come out in at least a year from now nobody really knows

The beta starts in like a week or two

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Elephant Ambush posted:

FF8 is literally FF: High School Anime Drama Edition and it's loving awful sorry.

Hey check out how cool I am I stated my opinion as a fact and maybe I should've gotten rid of the capital letters and punctuation for maximum poo poo post meltdown bait.

lmbo

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Vargatron posted:

I mean it would be better if you had abilities that you specifically used during "execute phase" but the Nidhogg hunt is a good example of a mark who is very manageable to beat until he hits 20% and then rolls your party.

Yeah what if they had an ability you could use to quicken killing the boss when they are powered up

You could call them Quickeners or something

Harrow posted:

I get that people like their tarutarus and lalafells, but I never got why FFXI and FFXIV didn't just have playable moogles instead as the token "little race." Go with the Ivalice moogle look so they can wear clothes/armor just as easily as tarutarus/lalafells and you're done, awesome moogles.

I guess this does mean we have fewer players adding "kupo" to all their text macros.

Nobody would play anything else tho

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJX4ytfqw6k

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Hah I beat Ba'gamnan for the first time in 10 years by spamming Aquara Motes found in Lhusu Mines. 4x speed really came in handy farming chests

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

Hah I beat Ba'gamnan for the first time in 10 years by spamming Aquara Motes found in Lhusu Mines. 4x speed really came in handy farming chests

When I restarted, I beat him pretty easily and I don't even think I was overlevelled. I don't recall him being such a pushover.

Related: blazing through the Giza Plains (Rain) and suddenly seeing the "hunt completed" screen out of nowhere lol

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

precision posted:

When I restarted, I beat him pretty easily and I don't even think I was overlevelled. I don't recall him being such a pushover.

Related: blazing through the Giza Plains (Rain) and suddenly seeing the "hunt completed" screen out of nowhere lol

YOU DID IT!!!
I assume it was the giant toad.

Also Ultimecia's Castle was cool and I really liked the music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtGBR80NWw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hahaha Vaan's Japanese VA is even more annoying than his English one

Japanese Fran kinda owns but I prefer Bjork

Japanese Balthier - is that Date from Yakuza????

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Vaan's Japanese voice, he sounds like an actual teenager instead of someone pretending to be one. Balthier's va in Japanese is Hiroaki Hirata, probably most famous as Sanji in One Piece.
Don't see any Yakuza credits for him but he did Joey's voice in the jp dub of Friends!

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 27, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I went to see what else Fran's VA has done and one of the first results was a GameFAQs message board post titled "I want to have sex with Fran's voice". From July. Of this year.

I see nothing has changed over there in the past 15 years.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

precision posted:

I went to see what else Fran's VA has done and one of the first results was a GameFAQs message board post titled "I want to have sex with Fran's voice". From July. Of this year.

I see nothing has changed over there in the past 15 years.

Sounds like they developed good taste.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Japanese voices are pretty cool imo. Especially since the English ones are pretty monotone in their delivery.

I'm trying to come up with legit reasons why I think this is the best game in the series and it mostly boils down:

You know all that typical RPG bullshit? Well here's gambits and a loving fast forward button. That combined with the Job System, world building and the new remastered music and graphics.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Everything can be fixed with job systems.

(Except FF3)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly, the job system in 12 seem pretty boring to me. There isn't much differentiation between the different jobs and most party members function very similarly except with some differences in utility spells.

The melee guys seem especially interchangeable since all the technicks I've found except steal and the two breaks have been worse than just autoattacking all the time. At least the black/red mages have aoe spells and can target weaknesses.

It's definitely a far cry from something like Bravely Default, X-2 or FFT.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 27, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jobs fix everything.
Give FF3 double jobs and it's fixed. Nothing wrong with it, perfectly fine with double jobs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Jobs fix everything.
Give FF3 double jobs and it's fixed. Nothing wrong with it, perfectly fine with double jobs.

I like that idea.

e: VV That idea too.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 27, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Give FF3 double jobs and 4x speed up 🤔

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Imagine FF13 with a job system where each job gave access to three paradigms each that all had different skills and stat boosts from each other, much like the characters already have.

Probably needs a bit of tweaking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Give me Bravely Defaults jobs with FF12's gambit system

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I like the idea that each character/race have access to only certain jobs.

Give me FFXII: The Zodiac Age Redux with new abilities for the melee classes making them more distinct.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just smh if you don't make Fran an Uhlan. Only Balthier looks cooler with a spear than her.

Edit: there should have been a Moogle party member instead of Penelo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

precision posted:

Just smh if you don't make Fran an Uhlan. Only Balthier looks cooler with a spear than her.

Edit: there should have been a Moogle party member instead of Penelo

Fran is a Time Mage because that fits with Viera life spans :colbert: (Obviously I chose Uhlan as a secondary because of the synergy)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Honestly, the job system in 12 seem pretty boring to me. There isn't much differentiation between the different jobs and most party members function very similarly except with some differences in utility spells.

The melee guys seem especially interchangeable since all the technicks I've found except steal and the two breaks have been worse than just autoattacking all the time. At least the black/red mages have aoe spells and can target weaknesses.

The thing that makes the melee jobs different is just the differentiation between weapon types, which FFXII is pretty good at. Like, Shikari is weirdly the best tank because of the Main Gauche dagger, for example, and Bushi is all about combo DPS with katanas.

Technicks are mostly dumb, though, and I wish they'd done something to make more than a handful worth using. The only worthwhile ones are Steal, the breaks, and sometimes Shades of Black (which is way better than it was in vanilla FFXII, it got a huge buff).

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Zaphod42 posted:

It sounds like co-op but it also sounds like you're just in some special mode or dungeon, you can't just chill out and do quests together in the overworld from the sound of it.

Which comeon give me and FF that has co-op in the main game and holy poo poo that'd be rad.

Like what if you made a game like FFXIII's combat but the side characters are controlled by other people playing in co-op ? Or XVs that's fine too if they can pull that off.

The FFXV DLC comes off as a testbed for ideas they'll use in future games, such as timed events, an avatar system, and co-op gameplay. All these additions seem strange for a single-player focused game like FFXV but they make sense if the next FF game or Tabata's project needs immediate feedback on ideas.

SE said that they're transitioning into games as a service with their future titles. I wouldn't be surprised if FFXVI is a MMO-lite in the style of Destiny or the Division.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah what if they had an ability you could use to quicken killing the boss when they are powered up

You could call them Quickeners or something

Woah look at that hot take.

Specifically I was referring to something like Execute from WoW.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Andrast posted:

I like all the weird, obtuse abilities the jobs in X-2 have. Like, the one that does a multiple of the Gunner's Level in damage. Or the Trainer ability that outright cancels the enemy's action. Or how the range of things the Thief can steal has apparently expanded to include HP, MP, and Time.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The best Final Fantasy games are the ones I like

The worst Final fantasy games are the ones you like

There I just condensed all FF game discussion into a single post, close thread

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I finally beat FFX after 10 years of on and off playing from ps2 and ps4, and I never want to touch it again unless I cheat. I got stuck on Braskas final aeon and tried a bunch of stuff and kept running into endgame content surprises that would just wipe my party in one turn.

Finally did the trio of 9999 trick and beat him.

The pacing of the game is so odd.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Dark Aeons were added in to the international version afterwards and are weirdly placed but the only one I can remember actively blocking you from getting stuff is Dark Valefor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX's pacing is kind of brilliant in a way. It keeps you moving from plot beat to plot beat for the first 50 hours so that you're never really dicking around in one place for too long, and then if you really liked the world, you can either spend 50 more hours doing all the side content or just go right to the end. I need guidance in the RPGs I play or else I just quickly lose track of what I'm doing and why it's important, and I thought both X/X-2 both had good approaches toward resolving that without feeling quite as railroaded as XIII-I: The First Final Fantasy XIII.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Dark Valevor and Dark Shiva blocked you from stuff. I hope you got the temple treasures, because getting Anima otherwise would be a pain. And dark Bahamut blocked you from getting the sun crest if you didn't grab it before heading out of the temple.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Love and Zanmato (but mostly Zanmato) conquers all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ashe looks rad as heck with samurai swords

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

FFX's pacing is kind of brilliant in a way. It keeps you moving from plot beat to plot beat for the first 50 hours so that you're never really dicking around in one place for too long, and then if you really liked the world, you can either spend 50 more hours doing all the side content or just go right to the end. I need guidance in the RPGs I play or else I just quickly lose track of what I'm doing and why it's important, and I thought both X/X-2 both had good approaches toward resolving that without feeling quite as railroaded as XIII-I: The First Final Fantasy XIII.

I really wish the endgame superbosses involved more interesting gameplay in FFX. I really, really like FFX's combat system, but what it turns into when you reach the power levels required for the tougher Dark Aeons or Penance is "everybody has max everything and spams Quick Hit and overdrives."

Up until then, though, I find FFX to be a lot of fun to play and I like it a lot.

precision posted:

Ashe looks rad as heck with samurai swords

The only person who doesn't is Penelo, IMO. Her animations with katanas are kinda awkward.

Fran's are, as you might expect, pretty loving rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJn96BXo8Y

Also of note in this video: everyone's unarmed animations own and I really, really wish Brawler didn't suck. Also holy poo poo look at Ashe's dagger animations. I'd never have dreamed of making her a Shikari before, but now I want to.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 27, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

exquisite tea posted:

It's nice but there is so much that is confusing without looking up other stuff. Because the world of Spira has some strange rules. The lack of a World map hurts and helps in small ways.

Any tips for FFX-2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

Any tips for FFX-2?

Go to every place every chapter, not just the ones listed as Hot Spots.