Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Who dares question the Living Soul,.!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Was reading that one of the conditions for Nationals joining the coalition after the election was that they were in charge of the water ministry. I wonder why that might have been important.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm choosing to believe that i'm gay.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm choosing to believe that i'm gay.

I would blow Dane Cook the gay soul.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Captain pollution is Minister for water

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Captain pollution is Minister for water

He's clearly hoggish greedly.

Turnbull is Looten Plunder.

Tones is captain pollution.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Two fun theories running around on Twitter:

- Canavan's court case isn't to help him, but to try and get some legal backing for someone in the Reps who might have dual citizenship
- The person after Malcolm Roberts on the One Nation ticket (who would replace him) is bankrupt

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Doctor Spaceman posted:

- Canavan's court case isn't to help him, but to try and get some legal backing for someone in the Reps who might have dual citizenship
- The person after Malcolm Roberts on the One Nation ticket (who would replace him) is bankrupt

That first one is too good to be true. :circlefap:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Does this go by ballot position? Is the fourth person in line Pauline Hanson's sister? http://www.onenation.com.au/candidates/judysmith

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

open24hours posted:

Does this go by ballot position?
There's a recount without that candidate, so in theory it could elect someone else (it was suggested that if Nick McKim wasn't eligible then a One Nation candidate would get the seat). In practice it'll be another One Nation candidate since Roberts got so few votes that AtL ballots for One Nation or BtL votes that went to Hanson and then him were what got him over the line.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 27, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/890499939012182016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mummy says I have to go on TV:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Please go full sovereign citizen on live tv Malcolm, If you do i promise I will join one nation forever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

loving hell I might actually watch Paul Murray.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

loving hell I might actually watch Paul Murray.

Yeah it's a pretty horrifying prospect eh?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maybe we Ludlum and Waters back at an ensuing early election?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ora Tzo posted:

If they renounce their citizenship they could do that regardless.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Lol that info graphic. Just kill all olds.
The number 1 taboo is racism which is apparently followed by political correctness.
Being racist is bad. Not being able to call people abos or wogs also bad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Do real everyone should watch Growing up Gracefully on the ABC.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Full Logan's Run now

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I feel bad for the elderly theyre very fragile and everybody they know is dead

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Mr. GRAYMAN I need to post on facebook to live. *drools slightly*
*crushes avocado between buttcheeks*

Grayman: Typical Millennial,
*measures skull size*
Social media will ruin your intelligence and chances of property ownership.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ora Tzo posted:

Ludlum isn't interested in coming back, I thought.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So what happened with Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts., the living soul? It sounded like he had renounced but too late?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Malcolm Roberts did not receive confirmation he renounced British citizenship until months after election

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts received confirmation that his British citizenship had been revoked in December - a full five months after he nominated as a candidate to the Senate.

After a week of pressure over his citizenship status, Senator Roberts finally unveiled a timeline during an interview on Sky News late on Thursday night.

Senator Roberts said he wrote to the British authorities on May 1 last year to ask them whether he was a British citizen, given he was born to a Welsh father in India.

He says he got no response so wrote a further email on June 6 - three days before nominations closed - saying that if he was a citizen he fully renounced. He subsequently nominated as a candidate and won a Queensland Senate seat.

It was not until December 5 that he got a response from the British High Commission confirming his citizenship was revoked.

The question now will be whether his emails amount to taking "reasonable steps", as required by the constitution, or whether his eligibility can be challenged on the basis he was a dual citizen until the formal British confirmation in December.

"I've taken all steps that I reasonably believe necessary," Senator Roberts told Sky News.

Asked if he was confident he could resist any court challenge, Senator Roberts said: "Very confident, and I have received advice legally to the same effect. Very pleased with that advice."

Senator Roberts was born to an Australian mother and a Welsh father in India in 1955 and came to Australia when he was aged 7. He became an Australian citizen in 1974 and says he only ever travelled on his Australian passport.

He says he did not have any reason to believe he was a British citizen until he came to sign the nomination form last year and decided to double check.

Senator Roberts said he "persisted and persisted" and "badgered" the British until he got that renunciation document in December.

He says he has been resisting calls to release the documents because of what the "Twitterati do".

"They just misrepresent some of these things," he said.

He said he changed his mind about releasing the documents because Labor indicated it would not support an inquiry into eligibility, which is the forum in which he intended to release them.

Senator Roberts showed the documents to Sky News presenter Paul Murray but they were not displayed on screen.

Senator Roberts says he also recently confirmed via the Indian High Commission that it was impossible for him to have been an Indian citizen.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...727-gxkbtu.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K49ECn1m7xk

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yup that's going to go to court.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Yeah I don't know the specifics of High Court precedence regarding the issue, but I know for other torts, at least, the standard for taking "reasonable steps" is way higher than what he's describing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I liked the last bit

quote:

The top-ranked social taboo one can commit in Australia these days is... ANTI-RACISM

Also get hosed boomers. As if more people smoke around children now than in the past you disingenuous hypocritical pricks.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Whitlam posted:

Yeah I don't know the specifics of High Court precedence regarding the issue, but I know for other torts, at least, the standard for taking "reasonable steps" is way higher than what he's describing.

It's not a tort in this case but if you look at cases like Sykes v Cleary it is relevant whether the person complied with the procedures of the other country, which in this case probably needs more than "sending an email."

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

It's not a tort in this case but if you look at cases like Sykes v Cleary it is relevant whether the person complied with the procedures of the other country, which in this case probably needs more than "sending an email."

Here's the process to apply. Note that there's an application form and fee, so no - realistically an email wouldn't cut it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Has anyone compiled a list of federal politicians who could potentially have citizenship issues yet? I'm waiting with baited breath for some liberal or national in the reps to be forced to resign and bringing down the government. It would be a delicious wet fart of a death for a wet fart of a government.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

Has anyone compiled a list of federal politicians who could potentially have citizenship issues yet? I'm waiting with baited breath for some liberal or national in the reps to be forced to resign and bringing down the government. It would be a delicious wet fart of a death for a wet fart of a government.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Nobody really knows. You can pretty easily find lists of people born elsewhere but that doesn't cover all the possibilities for dual citizenship.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The Lord Bude posted:

The problem with this is you'd need to get information on their parents as well, which isn't as available as it is for MPs.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Also get hosed boomers. As if more people smoke around children now than in the past you disingenuous hypocritical pricks.

That's not what it says. It says that smoking around kids is something that is not socially acceptable now but used to be no big deal.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Oh man, I hope Roberts goes down swinging.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Zenithe posted:

Oh man, I hope Roberts goes down swinging.

Melbourne Police are ready to go in guns blazing.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
When are vicpol ever not itching to shoot bang though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

fiery_valkyrie posted:

That's not what it says. It says that smoking around kids is something that is not socially acceptable now but used to be no big deal.

Wow, they worded that awkwardly.

• Locked thread