Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

goose willis posted:

Death Guard is awesome but there is so much more diversity to Chaos, far more than you'll ever find in the loyalist chapters that are all just palette swaps of each other with various overpowered rules to keep the kids happy

Chaos marine factions aren't diverse at all. They're just pallet swapped marines with spikes and eternally salty players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
At least they aren't NPC factions, who's only purpose is to get pumped full of bolter rounds :smug:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The thing about Chaos factions is that it's really easy to split them based on loyalty, or lack thereof, to the gods. You have your four most devout chapters. You have the Word Bearers, who I imagine are super into Chaos Undivided as a philosophy. You have the Black Legion, who I imagine see Undivided as a means to an end. You have the Night Lords, who don't have much love for Chaos at all. You have the Alpha Legion, who I don't even know are loyal or not these days. And then there's Perturabo and his group of sad jealous babymen.

The Marine legions theoretically differ by tactics, but as Marines are the flexible army that can get lost in translation.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

BULBASAUR posted:

At least they aren't NPC factions, who's only purpose is to get pumped full of bolter rounds :smug:

To be fair, I think if you're not World Eaters, Death Guard, or Black Legion you're still an NPC faction.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the whole point of Iron Warriors that they're the NPC chaos guys?

E: I mean their whole thing seems to be that they're totally happy to throw themselves into a meat grinder...

Pendent fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 27, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JoshTheStampede posted:

Are dual pistols or dual chainswords still legal Vanguard Vet load outs in the codex?

Yes. And it's loving awesome. Specifically: "The Veteran Sergeant may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with two items from the following list: A storm shield, a relic blade, or an item from the Pistols and Melee Weapons lists."

Strictly speaking, there is no restriction from taking the same option twice (that'd be "two different items"). It just so happens that two storm shields or two relic blades is completely pointless. Further justification: Taking a Plasma Pistol and Chainsword (for example) also falls under taking the third option twice.

"Any Space Marine Veteran may replace his bolt pistol and chainsword with a storm shield and an item from the Pistols or Melee Weapons lists, or with two items from the Pistols and/or Melee Weapons lists."

This one flat out says you can take two from the list, and it's glorious. A full size squad shits out 41 attacks.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Pendent posted:

E: I mean their whole thing seems to be that they're totally happy to throw themselves into a meat grinder...

It's called the Iron Cage, dad. You wouldn't understand!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Vanguard Sgts should be able to circumvent the "characters only" rule for relics.

Anyone know if there's any wargear price changes?

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 27, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

It's called the Iron Cage, dad. You wouldn't understand!
It was actually the Imperial Fists throwing themselves into the Iron Cage.
:goonsay:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Safety Factor posted:

This isn't the first time they've gotten rid of las/plas. They did the same thing in 4th edition. It was back in the next book and twin-linked assault cannons were added to the list of options.

Some stuff never came back.

RIP autocannon scouts.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

goose willis posted:

An elite force of humanity's most elite warriors, who employ elite units? Why, I never, just loving stop the presses right now we've got a hell of a scoop

I completely agree and I wholeheartedly welcome the new 100% bigmar direction we're heading. Down with the decisive chapter system! Long live GeneriBigBois 4 Eva!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Bobby G's Big Bois 4 lyfe

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Ebook version of the marine codex is $40

Welp, guess I'm going to get a pdf on the internet day 1. Physical copies of horus heresy redbooks are $40.

I think my 5th ed IG softcover was like $25 or 30. That was pretty reasonable.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 27, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Safety Factor posted:

It was actually the Imperial Fists throwing themselves into the Iron Cage.
:goonsay:

There were Iron Warriors in there first. If all of their friends were jumping off of a bridge, would the Imperial Fists do that too?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

bonds0097 posted:

Everyone, except scouts, get a left red hand. Veterans have both hands red. So a Sergeant would be left red hand, Vet Sergeant who has served in 1st (Crusading) company gets both.

Also, finally finished my first squad of intercessors:

Full album here.

I was like, yay more Fists players!

The I realised, boo they're way better painted than my Fists.

Good work dude.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

goose willis posted:

Can you seriously tell the difference between all the loyalist marine chapters?

Why is it so important to you? The fewer special snowflake rules GW try to come up with the better IMO.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 27, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

There were Iron Warriors in there first. If all of their friends were jumping off of a bridge, would the Imperial Fists do that too?
Yeah? The Iron Warriors built it. Of course they were there first. It was still the Imperial Fists who ran into it over and over again like idiots.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

What warham doesn't like grinding meat?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Can still use the index entry for las+plas

Please don't advocate cheating. :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

What warham doesn't like grinding meat?

It was one time thing! I was drunk...

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
GW was very specific in saying you can use anything in the Index that didn't transfer over to the Codex. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to do it all that often.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

GW was very specific in saying you can use anything in the Index that didn't transfer over to the Codex. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to do it all that often.

I think mostly it's going to be easy enough for stuff like rifeldreads or las/plas Razorbacks where all you need is the points cost, and hopefully outside of the Marine range which is huge and has tons of legacy stuff which has been carrying over there won't be too much to keep track of.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Corrode posted:

I think mostly it's going to be easy enough for stuff like rifeldreads or las/plas Razorbacks where all you need is the points cost, and hopefully outside of the Marine range which is huge and has tons of legacy stuff which has been carrying over there won't be too much to keep track of.

Ya, I'll be able to make 1-2 quick photocopies and keep 'em in my codex.

A lot of other legacy players use a lot of bike characters though, most of which are gone now. For those folks, it'll be more of a pain in the rear end.

I understand why they removed the bulk of the legacy stuff (it is helpful to new players) but it is kinda obnoxious to need to flip between multiple books if you own a lot of the legacy range/old options.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Rip me, just have to highlight the last Intercessors and contemptor and paint the librarian and now my backlog just swelled by 13 men and a redemptor. :negative:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
How much do Agressors cost in match play?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
43ppm with guns and grenades, about the same with flamestorm I think.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Uroboros posted:

How much do Agressors cost in match play?

Edit: i cant read.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

WhiteWolf123 posted:

A lot of other legacy players use a lot of bike characters though, most of which are gone now. For those folks, it'll be more of a pain in the rear end.

I understand why they removed the bulk of the legacy stuff (it is helpful to new players) but it is kinda obnoxious to need to flip between multiple books if you own a lot of the legacy range/old options.

Yeah I have a full bike army and losing the characters is aggravating.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Corrode posted:

Yeah I have a full bike army and losing the characters is aggravating.

You can still use 'em; it's just cumbersome to have to flip between multiple books now. :mad:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Something something the game we asked for

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
This would be the part where biting the bullet an saying "new codex use this period" would be the better move. Now they'll have to balance the index plus anything else going forward.

Pretty mucu the exact thing people hated when using say base chaos codex plus traitor legions. Two books to manage one army.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

The Bee posted:

And then there's Perturabo and his group of sad jealous babymen.

lol

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
T-T-TRIPLE CROSSPOST! If you haven't already checked out the Goon Chapter Challenge thread, go do so. It's a hoot.

Zuul the Cat posted:

STAR JUSTICARS

Lineage: The Star Justicars are Imperial Fists successors. Taking on a crusade much like their brothers, the Black Templars, they stalk the stars in search of the enemies of mankind that have visited grave injuries upon humanity. Worlds that were wiped out, sectors that have fallen, people forgotten - all are casus belli for the Star Justicars. They pursue enemy fleets and hunt down the enemy until their lifeless corpses float in the void.

Tactics: The Star Justicars primarily fight in space, ship to ship. Breacher units and close combat tactics are favored, as the close confines of ships often don't leave much room for tanks or artillery.

Heraldry: Purple in honor of their regal heritage, and the blue after the memory of the first world they avenged. A Khornate Chaos Warband descended on the Agri-World of Almundi Prime, famous for it's vibrant blue skies that seemed to never end, no matter where you stood on the world. They slaughtered the entire population, leaving eight great mounds of skulls upon the world. The Star Justicars responded too late to save the population, but they wiped out the warband to the last man, and scuttled their ship.

First Sergeant Kronos, armed with a Cawl Pattern Assault Bolt Rifle and chapter relic, Shield of Sol:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New Nurgle transport spotted in the wild.

Scuttle, scuttle, scuttle.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Artum posted:

my backlog just swelled by 13 men and a redemptor. :negative:

My sweet, sweet summer child

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I keep hearing "most" - which bike characters exactly are gone now? Or to put it another way, who CAN take bikes still?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think the captain on bike is the only one still in the codex, as they still have that metal White Scar model for sale. Not that it really matters with them still being available in the index.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

*slides burning of prospero and space hulk out of sight*

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think the captain on bike is the only one still in the codex, as they still have that metal White Scar model for sale. Not that it really matters with them still being available in the index.

Can apothecaries take jump packs or is that only Blood Angels at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

Can apothecaries take jump packs or is that only Blood Angels at this point?

That was only ever Blood Angels wasn't it? Jump pack command squads were a BA thing.

Hixson posted:

140 models unpainted at the moment, although a bunch of that is poo poo I should really get around to selling or giving away.