Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kevin Conroy says Ben Affleck is the best live action Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Yes. But how visual are those movies?

Plus Cop Out is the only one with an action sequence, a shootout throughout a home, that would even be comparable to any action in a comic book movie along the lines of what we're talking about here. And it's absolutely horrible and often criticized for being badly done in all ways.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Don't worry guys. Every film goes through reshoots and it's totally normal.

(A line that has been trotted out about every troubled production in the last few years despite how obvious the poo poo hitting the fan was)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

(A line that has been trotted out about every troubled production in the last few years despite how obvious the poo poo hitting the fan was)

It's also something said for practically every big movie in recent years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Cameo posted:

I’m never going to get over the fact that Bruce Willis pulled Smith aside on like day one of Cop Out when he realized Smith didn’t know poo poo about lenses and focal lengths and was using some weird hand signal thing with his DP to avoid exposing his ignorance of this VERY VERY loving IMPORTANT knowledge.

I think it’s because you can imagine Bruce pulling Smith in close in an alleyway somewhere just off set and saying “you think you’re getting away with it, but I’m onto you.

You have no loving clue what different lenses do, do you.”

Thanks for reminding me that Cop Out exists. I think I'm going to watch that again, I remember just dying laughing during an interrogation scene

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

Every film does go through reshoots and it's totally normal.

However this is not normal.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's something going on with the composition of the ceiling light and showing off the curve of the room slanting to one side there.

Makes Affleck look teeny-tiny.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

wyoming posted:

Makes Affleck look teeny-tiny.

I guess the question is, should it. We'll have to see the scene to find out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

By all appearances, the joke of Justice League is that Lex Luthor won. He's successfully united his Lexvengers after designing the cute little logos and trailers for them.

Ready Player One's shaping up to be a monster.

Even though he loses in BvS because Superman's death proves him wrong, he still won in the sense that Superman dying was his plan. His failure still has to be demonstrated, culminating in Superman's ressurection.

I expect him to at some point gloat about their being doomed without Superman.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

PriorMarcus posted:

Rogue One ended up being good and successful despite doing a lot of reshoots.

e: of course, I will acknowledge that it was special case, since as one poster pointed out, the director who did RO's reshoots at least didn't have a wildly different direction style from Edwards.

Equeen fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jul 27, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The reshoots made the first half of the movie a mess though.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Oh, I'm not saying RO is perfect, just that reshoots doesn't automatically make the movie bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Seems like the already declining 3D movie fad is getting a deathblow.

IMAX is going to phase out it's screens devoted to 3D movies and Disney says that "there are no plans" to film any future Marvel or Disney movies with 3D cameras.

Also confirming that Infinity War will be filmed 100% on new 6.5k IMAX/ARRI 2D Digital Cameras. No 3D footage.

http://www.thewrap.com/imax-moving-away-3d-consumers-shown-strong-preference/.WXkIqaa9uBs.reddit

Serf
May 5, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

IMAX is going to phase out it's screens devoted to 3D movies and Disney says that "there are no plans" to film any future Marvel or Disney movies with 3D cameras.

Also confirming that Infinity War will be filmed 100% on new 6.5k IMAX/ARRI 2D Digital Cameras. No 3D footage.

http://www.thewrap.com/imax-moving-away-3d-consumers-shown-strong-preference/.WXkIqaa9uBs.reddit

This is best news I've heard today.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

By all appearances, the joke of Justice League is that Lex Luthor won. He's successfully united his Lexvengers after designing the cute little logos and trailers for them.

Ready Player One's shaping up to be a monster.

To me, my Lex-Men!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Good.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RBA Starblade posted:

To me, my Lex-Men!

Bald, arrogant, condescending. Checks out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Well, no poo poo.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like Avengers: Infinity War is causing some problems. TRIGGER WARNING: Lots of destroyed cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut9vtIDF36A

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I can't want until we get that fight we've all wanted where the Justice League fights the bad guys on a grey airport while making quips.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, no poo poo.

Still Adam West

Serf
May 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Still Adam West

Yeah no one is ever gonna top West as Batman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ben Affleck's Batman and Adam West's Batman are essentially two different characters.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, no poo poo.

It's a loving click-baity title tho. He says he loves how there are multiple Batmen because each has had their different take, but that he especially thinks Affleck did a good Wayne and Batman (while others only did one really well). He then goes on to talk about the Joker citing Hamill and Ledger as specifically having amazing but drastically different takes on the character.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

All Batmen are beautiful.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Keaton and Val Kilmer were really good Bruce Waynes.

Affleck is the best at both.

Bale was alright but it was his villains that stole the show.

Clooney is cool but yeah...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like in an alternate universe somewhere, Clooney is the best Batman. He probably would have been my underdog pick to play Batman if Batman and Robin never happened. Imagine if he had like a really awesome Batman voice that he used.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I was thinking about something similar for the Spider-Men as well after the recent movie:

I think Maguire is a really mediocre Spidey but is transcendent as Raimi's version of Peter Parker

Garfield is significantly better as the wisecracking and confident Spidey (although he relies too much on straight sarcasm) but his Parker is just generic

Holland is a good mix of both, and a more comic accurate version of a "just starting out" Spidey and Parker. I don't think he reaches the highs of either but he is more consistent across the board.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I caught Amazing Spiderman on Netflix the other day. Bold move to have Uncle Ben die trying to steal someone's gun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought that Clooney was a pretty good Wayne. But really, I think that "handsome and charming guy" is pretty easy as a foundation for at least a decent Wayne.

I did like that Bale and Affleck both portray Wayne as a pretty unlikeable guy. In BB/TDK he was an smug tabloid-headlines playboy, in TDKR he was Howard Hughes, and in BvS he's a Sheldon Adelson rear end in a top hat who buys newspapers whose op-eds he doesn't like.

dont even fink about it posted:

Bane is just inverted Batman in pretty much every possible way they could think of, including his costume design.

I know this was a few pages ago now but I am convinced that Nolan decided to do Bane of all characters as the villain for his final Batman film entirely because his name is a phonetic contraction of Bruce Wayne and it fit perfectly with the 'dark mirror of Bruce' type of story he was envisioning.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I can appreciate a movie director wanting to do a good Bane on film. He can be a very interesting villain when done well.

Still haven't gotten one, but it was a better try than Batman & Robin's.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Clooney best portrayed Wayne's obsession with not letting anyone die.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd like a Batman vs Iron Man movie. A bunch of over the hill rich powerful playboy types with parental issues competing with each other in a dick waving contest of who can get more super powered women, drink under the table, do extreme poo poo, etc. even in costume they're more concerned with pushing limits on each other for the thrill of it.

Still starring Downey and Affleck.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gatts posted:

I'd like a Batman vs Iron Man movie. A bunch of over the hill rich powerful playboy types with parental issues competing with each other in a dick waving contest of who can get more super powered women, drink under the table, do extreme poo poo, etc. even in costume they're more concerned with pushing limits on each other for the thrill of it.

Still starring Downey and Affleck.

This but the end credits stinger is a CGI Scrooge McDuck.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

This but the end credits stinger is a CGI Scrooge McDuck.

With Huey, Dewy, Louie, Donald and Howard in background. Live action Ducktales w/ Howard vs Iron Man vs Batman going through the multiverse via the Bleed

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cythereal posted:

I can appreciate a movie director wanting to do a good Bane on film. He can be a very interesting villain when done well.

Still haven't gotten one, but it was a better try than Batman & Robin's.

We got a good Bane. It just wasn't comic book Bane, and also everything involving him after Batman returned to Gotham was kind of a wet fart.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The girl he loved who friend zoned him lead to his death, that was hell of a printer to carry. If Bruce had that, he'd have ended up like Bane.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gatts posted:

The girl he loved who friend zoned him lead to his death, that was hell of a printer to carry.

:laugh:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Vintersorg posted:

Keaton and Val Kilmer were really good Bruce Waynes.

Affleck is the best at both.

Bale was alright but it was his villains that stole the show.

Clooney is cool but yeah...

This seems right. There's still something about Keaton in some of the more artistic shots in Batman 89 that's pretty badass and he might be the best overall actor of the bunch. Kilmer did really well with what he had and was the least of that movie's problems. Clooney was just stuck in a big pile of poo poo. With Bale, you have the problem with the stupid voice and sometimes the costume sort of looked goofy, but his Wayne was pretty damned good and he benefits greatly from being in the best out of all the films.

Adam West is what it is.

Affleck really was perfect, even though even though I admit I had a huge problem with it when he was originally cast. I've really come around on him after The Town and Gone Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

Still Adam West

Adam West is the only real comparison as both takes on the character don't have a Bruce Wayne.

• Locked thread