Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Do you think the Earth would be better off or worse off if humans didn't exist?

he should go big or go home

if you think humanity is a blight on the planet then eradicate everyone indiscriminately, doing 2/3rds is both just kicking the can down the road and an admission that you know killing people is wrong and should be minimized

e: and that's not even getting into the whole 'earth will probably keep on existing even after we've made it unlivable for us' conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They should have given Ra's some other scheme so that they could make a new villain: Malthus, the Eco-Terrorist!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Serf posted:

They had to put in the really dumb "nuke Gotham" plot or else someone in the crowd might have realized that Bane is the hero.

I prefer to believe it was because Nolan really wanted to make a high stakes "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." joke.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is not true. Snyder said that it contains stuff they cut for a pg-13 rating plus plots he had to cut for time because "executives get nervous over the two and a half hour mark"

Then why is it called an extended cut and not a director's cut? There were 3 versions of Snyder's Watchmen, and he said the best version is the director's cut.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Then why is it called an extended cut and not a director's cut? There were 3 versions of Snyder's Watchmen, and he said the best version is the director's cut.

Maybe some of the scenes cut out Snyder would have put back in and not all the scenes that were put back in?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The difference with Beavis is that both films are director's cuts. They represent unique variations on the same story, but together present a unified vision. That's why the longer limited run/home video version is literally titled (as in it shows up right there in the movie as this) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition. The key etymology here is "ultimate," which signifies not that it's the 'auteur' cut, but that it's the finale of Beavis as a cinematic work that (consistent with new forms of exhibition and distribution) is not reductive to a single film. The Ultimate Edition is a sequel to the theatrical cut.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 25, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Do you think the Earth would be better off or worse off if humans didn't exist?

Life, uh, finds a way.

The danger of pollution and global warming and so on, isn't that it'll destroy life on Earth, it's that it'll destroy human life, or at least our current way of living.
Earth doesn't need us.

Also the badguy in Inferno, his plan was to kill 2/3rds of the population because he viewed overpopulation being a worse fate.
What an ending that lovely movie had though, schlubby Tom Hanks losing in a wrestling match to sexy young terrorists.
His heroic action was diving out of the way so the police had a clear shot. :911:

wyoming fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 25, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Serf posted:

They had to put in the really dumb "nuke Gotham" plot or else someone in the crowd might have realized that Bane is the hero.

Bane is just inverted Batman in pretty much every possible way they could think of, including his costume design.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

It's too bad that Whedon is basically replacing Snyder for the DC films. Whedon made the MCU worse, not better, and his movies are among the weakest in that universe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I love the Nolan Batman movies and Ledger in particular in TDK but they did get worse with each chapter as the villains' schemes became overly convoluted and the plots started to turn in on themselves . Best thing about BB was that it was mostly believable (microwave transmitter aside) and made Batman feel REAL but with Joker and Bane and as their plans made progressively less and less sense, the viewer had explain away and excuse more poo poo.

Suspension of disbelief is important in comic book movies. To me anyway. Probably why I love stuff like DD, IM1 and BB but not so much Thor, SM3 and Guardians. I even found MoS relatively grounded for what they were trying to do with Superman which may explain why I liked it so much.

It's probably just a matter of personal taste, and I'm not trying to argue that really ANY of them are "grounded" or "believable", but some are more than others and there's a fine line. Some people really dig the full throttle, balls out batshit crazy approach, which can be fun, and probably why so many are geeked out on the Thor3 trailer, but I always liked stuff like Punisher, DD and Moon Knight - or even the classic approach to Marvel characters like FF, Hulk, X-Men or Spiderman that tried to set them in the real world and introduce logistical and social problems as obstacles to their powers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

KVeezy3 posted:

I don't know. The director's cut of Sucker Punch is also called the extended cut.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's too bad that Whedon is basically replacing Snyder for the DC films. Whedon made the MCU worse, not better, and his movies are among the weakest in that universe.

Snyder will probably be back by next year.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i need to see a snyder-directed darkseid

as good as justice league is looking it's hard to get too excited knowing it's all just a prelude for that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The MSJ posted:

Snyder will probably be back by next year.

He already said he's out after Justice League.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

Bane is just inverted Batman in pretty much every possible way they could think of, including his costume design.

He really is just Batman.

They do the same poo poo.

I love Dark Knight Rises.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you guys consider the best pre-Spiderman (or whatever you consider the start of this new super hero movie period) super hero movie to be? Blade? Blade 2? X-Men? or even.....Batman Returns?!?!?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Snyder isn't coming back. Ever. Which is probably good, he's in his 50s now and I want to see what he's got in him outside of the funnybooks.

Empress Brosephine posted:

What do you guys consider the best pre-Spiderman (or whatever you consider the start of this new super hero movie period) super hero movie to be? Blade? Blade 2? X-Men? or even.....Batman Returns?!?!?

It Blade.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Blade is still the best comic book movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Batman 66, and Green Hornet... 39? Somewhere around there.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tie between Blade and Barbarella.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Superman: The Movie, Batman/Batman Returns, Blade. Any of those.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jingle All The Way

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Batman Forever. It's a character who runs around dressed as a giant bat to beat up criminals. Accept that the whole thing is silly and run with it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mystery Men

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my personal pick is American Splendor but I don't think thats pre Spiderman

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

UmOk posted:

He really is just Batman.

They do the same poo poo.

I love Dark Knight Rises.

Batman's Batcave:

Bane's Batcave:

Bruce Wayne's Batcave:

And as a bonus, the Wayne Enterprises building, still stubbornly sporting the nighttime when the bulk of this film takes place in the day:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Superman the Movie and Blade. Blade is tremendous.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i never saw blade 2 now that i think about it, is that a good movie

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It is. Take it a bit differently as it's got flaws but overall it's a worthwhile watch for what it introduces. It's kind of the Aliens to Blade's Alien.

Also peeps have got to start accepting that as we once had the one two punch of Ridley Scott and James Cameron we now have their modern incarnations in Christopher Nolan and Michael Bay.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Cast of Black Panther goes nuts after seeing finished footage of the film for the first time.

:unsmith:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/8...r%3D432%23pti32

*in Dave Chappelle Rick James voice*

THEY SHOULD'VE NEVER GAVE YOU HEROES MONEY!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The design and Del Toroisms are awesome, the plot is campy as fuuuck.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

He already said he's out after Justice League.

Michael Bay said he was out after Transformers 2. Yet here we are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

"Guys... what if there were vampires... for vampires?"

:350:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

"Guys... what if there were vampires... for vampires?"

:350:

And it's awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Blade II is outstanding and a lot of people prefer it to the first. The first is my favorite, though my only real issue with Blade II is how the middle act opens up with this extremely padded scene of characters walking around searching for some other characters. It just goes on so long and then culminates with another scene of people walking around aimlessly that feels like it goes on too long.

It's also worth seeing if you like Del Toro's Hellboy movies because the plot and some of the characters are like a weird alternate alpha version of Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

This is not a bad thing.

Blade 1 is cool but suffers from really clunky and excessive plot laying. It makes sense, it's 98 and Blade was a lesser known property, the film makers couldn't be too sure what Audiences would just roll with and what would need explanation, so they end up explaining almost everything. It hurts the pacing of the movie, but the good bits are soooooo loving good. If nothing else in the movie appealed to you (because you're a bad person or something) the doorman's bizarre delivery of the line 'Do you have an invitation?' is one of the strangest and best line readings ever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Superman 78 and Superman 2 with a casual nod to Batman 89. I'd throw Darkman in there too. But yeah I'd say Blade, X-Men and Spiderman really kicked off the modern trend of going full comic book. Probably X-Men really started it as a commercial blockbuster enterprise.

All it really took was for kids who grew up with this poo poo to become adults and for the effects technology to catch up and be able to pull it all off. In less than 5 years, probably all the 90's poo poo will be the hype. New Mutants, Cable, Venom, Spawn, Carnage, Lobo, Youngblood...it's already starting to happen.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 26, 2017

Violator
May 15, 2003

Blade and the original Ninja Turtles movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm serious, the Green Hornet serials from the 30s are really good and really important to future cape films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

josh04 posted:

Batman's Batcave:

Bane's Batcave:

Bruce Wayne's Batcave:

And as a bonus, the Wayne Enterprises building, still stubbornly sporting the nighttime when the bulk of this film takes place in the day:

Batman Begins, ends.

Bane Ends, begins.

• Locked thread