Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Zil posted:

What does this mean if someone deletes the ticket?

what ticket?

e: drat I am a page sniping fool today
:widowsnypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

elcapjtk posted:

After watching that video (several years ago) I had no idea why anyone would listen to him about building a server. I still don't know.

That's not at all why people watch his channel. I know the word "tips" appears in the channel name but like half their stuff is "we're doing an insane thing don't try this at home." They didn't present the server build as something you should do at home.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
A ticket came in

"Hello, I am in airplane and I cannot use network. Please to be unblocking air.gogomobile.com because the Internet is very important to me."

A colleague from the Nashville office was in today. I showed him the ticket and we both had a laugh that upset a few folks in the greater part of the office.

Oh and I shot the ticket down. The Internet is important to me too buddy. :downs:

But more seriously. We have no portable firewall on users laptops. So the ticket is pointless.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I had a woman email me at 7pm saying she is at her daughters softball game and needs to get her hot spot working. I don't work on call, gently caress answering that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Deuce posted:

That's not at all why people watch his channel. I know the word "tips" appears in the channel name but like half their stuff is "we're doing an insane thing don't try this at home." They didn't present the server build as something you should do at home.
It's not something you should do fullstop.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We have a user who is literally in the middle of the jungle on vacation right now at a place that explicitly tells you that there is no cell service, and they're super angry that the mobile hot spot we told them wouldn't work isn't working.

Have I mentioned how much I love working with lawyers at my new job?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
A ticket came in:
:eng101: I need the wifi card removed from my PC.
:) Not possible, it's built in. We could turn it off if you need but why?
:eng101:There's bad wifi getting in.
:) ???
:eng101: I've got some minerals on my desk that stop some of it. [Points to rock salt lamp and a shiny rock on the monitor stand.]
:) I'll uh see what we can do. [Walks away.]

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"I put an interference field into your computer to block the signals. If you turn this switch to "off", that means that signals will bounce off of the field and won't affect your computer. If you switch it on, though, that means they'll come on to your computer, so make sure you keep it switched off."

And lo, another frustrating ticket was born years hence.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You absolutely know somebody will post 'the weirdest ticket I've ever seen' when the computer only resolves DNS when that switch is set to On, even though the wires are uselessly tied to the case. The client is screaming it has something to do with WiFi crystals and interference fields but there's literally no other explanation.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What was the other one with the lady who thought there was lard in her laptop screen or something?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arsten posted:

Helpdesk IM:
:downs: I took off the cellulose for my laptop and it displayed funny, but when I replaced it with a vegan alternative, it got all fuzzy. I need to be able to read, can you read this?
:IT Guy: That's a screenshot and it seems alright. What do you mean by 'cellulose' and 'vegan alternative'?
:downs: Well, this fat is really bad for you, so I had to replace it so that it wouldn't harm me.
:IT Guy: We don't deal with food. Did you want to talk to the cafeteria?
:downs: Oh, no! This was my laptop!

Phone Call Later:
:IT Guy: Hey, Arsten, are you close to <another office in the city> to go take a look at this users' laptop?
:eng101: Sure, I'll get it on my way home.

Guesses?

She cut off the plastic cover on her screen, somehow separated the plastic front from the LEDs and then smeared what appeared to be straight up fat across the remainder of the panel. It is, indeed, "fuzzy".

I need to get into accounting. Numbers can't possibly be this depressing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

uPen posted:

A ticket came in:
:eng101: I've got some minerals on my desk that stop some of it. [Points to rock salt lamp and a shiny rock on the monitor stand.]

please tell me the end result was :yikes:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:j:: I got an error message...
:eng101:: Where?
:j:: On your website...
:eng101:: What did it say?
:j:: I don't know.
:eng101:: Is it working now?
:j:: Don't know that either. I'm driving right now, but I wanted to do you a favor and give you a call to let you know that your website is broke :)"

A voicemail I got way back at my first job, transcribed verbatim:

""Hello, your page won't load. I have been trying for the last hour to get to it a number of different ways, such as going through links from my local office's site, and it still won't load. Somebody at your office said there is no problem, well I'm calling to tell you there is a problem. You won't be able to reach me, so I won't leave any contact information. Goodbye.""

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

uPen posted:

A ticket came in:

Going to guess it was Organite on their desk. Which is just shiny rocks and various bits of copper all sealed up with acrylic.

mewse
May 2, 2006

iospace posted:

From what I remember that user was straight up stealing from the company and never returned to the office

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

Oh boy, you won't be disappointed if you look up the ending!

Edit:
Wait, I thought you were talking about the other one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

mewse posted:

From what I remember that user was straight up stealing from the company and never returned to the office

Lardscreen lady was totally stealing and if I remember rightly she was arrested trying to skip town.

Fake edit: Here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&userid=33777&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post463282667

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:j:: I got an error message...
:eng101:: Where?
:j:: On your website...
:eng101:: What did it say?
:j:: I don't know.
:eng101:: Is it working now?
:j:: Don't know that either. I'm driving right now, but I wanted to do you a favor and give you a call to let you know that your website is broke :)"

On the other hand, I'm the guy who gets told to make those dumbass phone calls because someone else is too lazy to do it themselves.

I've weaponized the conference button on my phone, but that doesn't stop me from feeling bad for the person I have to call.

:v: Can you call *remote site* and see if there's any work being done?
:eng101: What do you see? What's the error? What's the piece of equipment?
:v: Just do it, that information won't help you.

So I call the remote site, who usually says "yeah there's a lot of work being done. What's the issue on what equipment?" and they get conferenced in with the requesting department because I am not a loving secretary.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 27, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Once when that happened, I made up a spreadsheet of all work being done in that site for the week according to our change management website and sent it over.

Here ya go! *e-mails spreadsheet of ~150 scheduled maintenances*

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It is the year 2017, and our new EHR system can't handle apostrophes in patient names without throwing an SQL escape error. Jesus christ.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

An AWS outage came in. :suicide:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sirotan posted:

It is the year 2017, and our new EHR system can't handle apostrophes in patient names without throwing an SQL escape error. Jesus christ.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found ours can do apostrophes, stresses, even stuff like ñ. I've learned not to expect that, ever, and I am not sure that will ever change.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sirotan posted:

ooo, see if you can manipulate it with sql injections!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sirotan posted:

:murder:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

DizzyBum posted:

We survived without downtime! Praise be since I'm primary on call.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Virigoth posted:

We survived without downtime! Praise be since I'm primary on call.

Did you follow some crazy ritual known as "deploying in more than one region"?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DizzyBum posted:

As long as AWS has been around, I've been very... skeptical about it. Mostly because it's a MASSIVE single point of failure.

Cheap sure, but given how much of the internet relies on it? Yeah...

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A few months ago, the director forced me to purchase a high speed desktop scanner because he was dissatisfied with the speed of the scanner we currently had. So I was told to order not one $900 scanner we really can't afford, but TWO $900 scanners we really can't afford.

The original plan was for one scanner to belong to our office of student affairs since they scan a shitload of documents, and one scanner would reside in my inventory to be checked out as needed for projects requiring scanning a large quantity of documents. Well, the secretary of the student affairs office threw an absolute fit about how she NEEDED one of those scanners because of how much she has to scan and she just can't spend her whole day walking back and forth from the copier. The director conceded and she is now the sole owner of a $900 high speed desktop scanner.

Yesterday, I had a bunch of new copiers installed. I haven't set up email scanning on them yet, and, this morning, aforementioned secretary throws another Olympic gold hissy fit about the email scanning not functioning.

:mad: I got a lot of stuff I gotta scan! How am I gonna do it now?
:what: Who are you email scanning to?
:mad: Myself, so I can put it on my desktop.
:what: *stares at desktop scanner*
:mad: What? How am I gonna use that?
:mad: I can use that to put the file on my computer?
:mad: I don't know how to use that.

Now I'm apparently under the bus because the last four times I showed her how to operate the SINGLE BUTTON SCAN TO DESKTOP FUNCTION weren't adequate and I should have trained her better.

:suicide:

P.S. Also gently caress whoever translated Konica-Minolta's web interface. Trying to determine what information it's asking for in broken engrish is hilariously infuriating

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 27, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AWS allows people to shoot themselves in the leg just as easily as any other deployment method does. Ultimately it still requires you to architect a solution with resilience, it just removes the CapEx and lead time requirements of the 'traditional' method, and provides different tools for doing it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I was pleasantly surprised when I found ours can do apostrophes, stresses, even stuff like ñ. I've learned not to expect that, ever, and I am not sure that will ever change.

Try a 4-byte emoji

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Sounds like little Bobby tables should be a patient in your system.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Try a 4-byte emoji

I'll do that when we have a patient who includes one in their name. I live in a rural area so it'll probably take longer here. 2025, maybe.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A few months ago, the director forced me to purchase a high speed desktop scanner because he was dissatisfied with the speed of the scanner we currently had. So I was told to order not one $900 scanner we really can't afford, but TWO $900 scanners we really can't afford.

The original plan was for one scanner to belong to our office of student affairs since they scan a shitload of documents, and one scanner would reside in my inventory to be checked out as needed for projects requiring scanning a large quantity of documents. Well, the secretary of the student affairs office threw an absolute fit about how she NEEDED one of those scanners because of how much she has to scan and she just can't spend her whole day walking back and forth from the copier. The director conceded and she is now the sole owner of a $900 high speed desktop scanner.

Yesterday, I had a bunch of new copiers installed. I haven't set up email scanning on them yet, and, this morning, aforementioned secretary throws another Olympic gold hissy fit about the email scanning not functioning.

:mad: I got a lot of stuff I gotta scan! How am I gonna do it now?
:what: Who are you email scanning to?
:mad: Myself, so I can put it on my desktop.
:mad: What? How am I gonna use that?
:mad: I can use that to put the file on my computer?

Now I'm apparently under the bus because the last four times I showed her how to operate the SINGLE BUTTON SCAN TO DESKTOP FUNCTION weren't adequate and I should have trained her better.

:suicide:

P.S. Also gently caress whoever translated Konica-Minolta's web interface. Trying to determine what information it's asking for in broken engrish is hilariously infuriating

You're not a teacher / trainer. Tell them to get hosed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Print the instructions and staple them to her face.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I (as in IT) am introducing something then I'll be happy to provide some sort of end-user training (as in, arrange it). When a department pisses and moans about having to have a piece of software and then sits on their hands when it's been deployed because they don't know how to use it, then they can :fuckoff:

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

larchesdanrew posted:

It's probably the same person who translated their technical courses. There's a bunch of crap like:

quote:

We should that no storage media such as USB memories are stored in locations that could be easily accessed.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Collateral Damage posted:

Print the instructions and staple them to her face.

Use their scanner to scan an image of instructions for using the scanner (written in crayon) and set it to their desktop background.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Renegret posted:

if it's not in the ticket, it never happened

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Che Delilas posted:

Use their scanner to scan an image of instructions for using the scanner (written in crayon) and set it to their desktop background.

When my mom was out of state, I stopped by to watch a movie/eat a pizza with my dad. And she wanted me to make sure that her Scanner was working.

So i texted her a picture of her computer monitor with a scanned handwritten note with the date and time.

She didn't seem to think it was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

"Perfect. I'll remove that useless equipment at once then"

Edit: oh my god the best thing just happened...
We've had an issue with people being locked out of our ERP software because we were using all of the concurrent licenses.
We recently upgraded the software and now have this handy-dandy web client.

I just received an email from my coworker who is looking into the issue:

quote:

All,

Looks like <ERP> web based dashboard is the reason we are having issues with licenses.

It is a sharepoint site and each click on the link opens a new windows and every new window equals to a single license.

Currently we have 65 <ERP> access licenses and license usage can be checked by following commands run on the server:

CMD -> setlive -> fglwrt -a info users

Or by going to D:\fgl250.16\bin and running command prompt from there with - “fglwrt -a info users” entry.

Yours truly,

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 27, 2017

• Locked thread