Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ColdPie posted:

What do you like about it?

Honestly, a lot and a lot more than I thought I would.

Setting reminders is perfect and is much quicker than you could do without it. That's the main reason I started using it, it's just so good for that.

The home automation stuff is sweet as gently caress. All of the lights in the house are voice-controlled and I add more stuff all the time. I have Google Homes all over the place but having it on the phone is nice too.

Where Assistant isn't so great is with straight up Google searches. I can ask "What was the Warriors record last year?" and get the answer but the query "When was the Warriors last loss?" will get you I CAN'T HELP WITH THAT YET. Still, if I've got simple Google searches where I just want a data point in return, it's usually quicker to ask out loud than type it out if I'm not at my MacBook.

"What's my day looking like?" is great, but that might only be on the Home, not the phone.

All in all I'm just saying I've found it far more useful the longer I'm around it and I went into it with sketicism about its utility. The fact that it always understands me even if it can't help is really impressive. I will admit that I'd never use it around other people (that's just obnoxious) but it's really good once you accept it. I'll also concede that accepting robots isn't something I expect to happen overnight or for everyone but much like when I switched to Mac from Windows or when I decided that I didn't care how much Google knows about me and went all-in on their services, my life got so much better when I decided to do it that I'm willing to evangelize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ColdPie posted:

I have the smaller Pixel with the 5" screen and it's way too big. The Pixel got more usable after I put a sticky silicone case on it (the first phone I've had that needs a case), but I still have to shift it around awkwardly to hit the top edge. I think 4.5" is ideal, 4.7 is the max. But no one makes high end, stock-ish Android phones in those sizes, so we're stuck with 5+" monsters.

I would use my Droid Mini for the rest of my life if it was a bit faster and had decent storage. 4.2" screen :fap:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Most of the times I delete an email from the Gmail notification, it fires off another audible/vibration notification (plus one to my watch). I poked around in the Gmail settings but couldn't find anything that looked like it would apply. Is there any way to stop it from doing that?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

monster on a stick posted:

Woot just put up refurbished Pixels for $400-$450.

They only have the 32GB models apparently???

Still a great price for the XL

hooah posted:

Most of the times I delete an email from the Gmail notification, it fires off another audible/vibration notification (plus one to my watch). I poked around in the Gmail settings but couldn't find anything that looked like it would apply. Is there any way to stop it from doing that?

I just had that happen when I marked an email as done from Inbox. Huh.

nimper fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 27, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The mail thing happens when you have multiple unread messages. The notification was "You have 2 unread messages" then you archive/delete one and now there's a new state and thus a new notification "You have 1 unread message"

Happens in Chrome as well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I would use my Droid Mini for the rest of my life if it was a bit faster and had decent storage. 4.2" screen :fap:

Get an iPhone SE?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone have any experience with the HTC U11? I'm going to be looking for a new phone at the end of August once my house sells and am curious how the goon impressions of it are. I'm upgrading off of a Galaxy S5 and my preference is another phone that is IP67 Certified (of which the Pixel is unfortunately not) without having to put it in a waterproof case. Not that I give my phones a daily dunk in the kitchen sink, but it has been splashed a number of times to make me concerned about loosing the water protection in my next phone. My other options for a flagship style phone with IP67 is the Xperia XZ Premium of which goons seem to have questionable experiences with Sony's bundled software in general, or the Galaxy S8 or maybe the new Note of which I'd rather opt against because I'm kind of sick of Touchwiz and Samsung in general.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The LG G6 is cheaper than the S8 and U11, and is IP68 certified.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So you can be sure the puddle you dropped it in didn't cause it to boot loop.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Mister Facetious posted:

The LG G6 is cheaper than the S8 and U11, and is IP68 certified.

How is LG's android skin these days?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

So you can be sure the puddle you dropped it in didn't cause it to boot loop.

And you can't be part of a class-action suit because you agreed to binding arbitration by not specifically opting out via letter to LG. And even if you opt out, no one else does so good luck getting that class-action going.

Literal Garbage

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

nimper posted:

Badly laid out if you ask me, (mind you, I'm coming from a Nexus 5 using 6.0.1 with Nova, I don't know what Nougat has done) but there's more customization options, so you can really dial in your preference.
Supposedly they were going for an Apple style layout (no app drawer by default, but you can turn it back on), there's a lot of white menus, except they Androided it up.
It's a phone for spergs that really like fiddling with options until everything is juust the way they want it; it has more menus in Settings than EVE Online.

The in-house apps include a file manager, and a trashcan that holds apps for 24 hours before deleting them permanently, or you can empty it manually.
Bloatware included Facebook, Instagram, and Evernote. Disabling hides them.

Notification numbers next to icons won't go away if you just swipe the notification, you actually need to look at it in app, which is annoying if you like a really clean main screen.
No notification LED, which was one of my favorite N5 features, but it has double tap to wake, so there's that.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 27, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's the new LG Q8, which looks to be like a G6 but slightly cheaper and worse in every way. It has a smaller screen but almost exactly the same physical dimensions.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
So, to recap:

nimper posted:

Mister Facetious posted:

Badly laid out if you ask me, (mind you, I'm coming from a Nexus 5 using 6.0.1 with Nova, I don't know what Nougat has done) but there's more customization options, so you can really dial in your preference.
Supposedly they were going for an Apple style layout (no app drawer by default, but you can turn it back on), there's a lot of white menus, except they Androided it up.
It's a phone for spergs that really like fiddling with options until everything is juust the way they want it; it has more menus in Settings than EVE Online.

The in-house apps include a file manager, and a trashcan that holds apps for 24 hours before deleting them permanently, or you can empty it manually.
Bloatware included Facebook, Instagram, and Evernote. Disabling hides them.

Notification numbers next to icons won't go away if you just swipe the notification, you actually need to look at it in app, which is annoying if you like a really clean main screen.
No notification LED, which was one of my favorite N5 features, but it has double tap to wake, so there's that.

Inept posted:

Literal Garbage

Sounds about right.

And these are the chucklefucks making the Pixel XL 2? Hoo boy.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nimper posted:

And these are the chucklefucks making the Pixel XL 2? Hoo boy.

Thankfully they won't be making the software.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They also won't be designing the hardware either. They're literally just a manufacturer and component supplier.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

They also won't be designing the hardware either. They're literally just a manufacturer and component supplier.

People are still stuck in the Pixel = Nexus rut, unfortunately.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The manufacturing and the components are what should worry you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I haven't seen any issues with LG displays or necessarily the physical assembly of the phones.

They layout of the mainboard and the components used is going to be a Google dictated affair, there's little reason to expect that LGs design decisions will affect that phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't, it's going to be totally fine.

vvvv oh my god it's not an LG phone shut uuuuuuuuuuuup

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 27, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

While this isn't as funny as Google contracting with Oneplus, it is pretty funny watching people tie themselves in knots about how LG is normally poo poo BUT THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

gently caress you if you remove the headphone jack

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Sounds like you lack courage

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

It doesn't, it's going to be totally fine.

vvvv oh my god it's not an LG phone shut uuuuuuuuuuuup

I want to believe, I really do

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

This isn't STRICTLY android related, but I think it qualifies.

Google maps timeline keeps changing my home thumbtack in the timeline for the last few days from "Home" to a generic marker with my home address on it. If I manually click on it, click edit, select home, it will stay that way for a completely random amount of time (including forever), then changing it back to the generic address marker.

It has done this with other custom labels (and even, I think, with things like parks, but I'm less sure about that).

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
I've had a 6P since launch and some time ago it started killing itself at 40%, 30% or 15%. I finally contacted play store support about it and they shipped me an out of warranty replacement. Today was my first day with it and it just died at 15%. Should I bother having them send me another or is this just something all of these phones will do?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Google Butt posted:

The LG G6 looks like the Pixel XL 2, but has a headphone jack. :eng101:

(I don't use it, the Bluetooth is really loving good on this thing)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Anyone have any experience with the HTC U11? I'm going to be looking for a new phone at the end of August once my house sells and am curious how the goon impressions of it are.

If you do get an U11, I believe you can still use the coupon code AMAZINGU11 on the HTC website for 50USD off. From what I've read it seems like a nice phone. I mean, the hardware is there and the software isn't terrible. I have seen several shattered ones online though. The whole thing is glass, so it might be more prone to breaking than other flagships.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

While this isn't as funny as Google contracting with Oneplus, it is pretty funny watching people tie themselves in knots about how LG is normally poo poo BUT THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT.

"its ok google will control everything you dont understand PIXELPIXELPIXEL" from some of the same people who spent months making GBS threads all over LG.

My 5x hasn't boot looped thus far and I've loved it. I can't remember a manufacturer who didn't have problems at some point, many of them pretty serious. So I will buy a Pixel 2 at some point if the price is reasonable (it won't be) and not really care who makes it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

"its ok google will control everything you dont understand PIXELPIXELPIXEL" from some of the same people who spent months making GBS threads all over LG.

What about this is wrong?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

What about this is wrong?

Brand loyalty is, at best, a leap of faith.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a difference between "brand loyalty" and "looking on the past to predict the future"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Like, there's no actual reason to believe that future LG-branded phones will have the bootloop issue either.

In all seriousness, Google has a lot on the line with the Pixel name so they'll probably do everything in their power to make sure the brand remains synonymous with high quality and low availability.

It's still p. funny.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Grumpwagon posted:

This isn't STRICTLY android related, but I think it qualifies.

Google maps timeline keeps changing my home thumbtack in the timeline for the last few days from "Home" to a generic marker with my home address on it. If I manually click on it, click edit, select home, it will stay that way for a completely random amount of time (including forever), then changing it back to the generic address marker.

It has done this with other custom labels (and even, I think, with things like parks, but I'm less sure about that).

Has anyone else noticed this happening?

I think i've seen this when I have something in my calendar with home as a location (or other contacts houses etc).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tremors posted:

I've had a 6P since launch and some time ago it started killing itself at 40%, 30% or 15%. I finally contacted play store support about it and they shipped me an out of warranty replacement. Today was my first day with it and it just died at 15%. Should I bother having them send me another or is this just something all of these phones will do?

Return it until you get one that works or a refund.

This is coming from someone who regrets not warranting their Moto X for the same issue.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Alternatively, swapping the battery will solve the problem, though it is not an easy process.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder that Lucky Goldstar also made the G2X, which also had a class action suit against them for being a massive pile of poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

People who think that the quality of LG phones is indicative of the quality of phones designed by Google and manufactured by LG don't understand electronics manufacturing.

People who think that Pixel made by LG won't have any issues haven't seen the actual contracts and business relationship between the two companies.

It's entirely reasonable and plausible for the Pixel 2 to not have any poo poo LG DNA because of Googles design. It's also not out of the realm of possibility that LG has too much say and some of their lovely-ness to creep in.

For example, if LG is crap because they cut corners on component selection or software engineering, it's completely reasonable to expect Google to not have any of their problems. If LG is crap because their manufacturing lines are no good, there's not really any way for Google to design themselves out of that hole.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Any good suggestions for *small*/cheap quick charging usb-c batteries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so glad I broke and got the Pixel 1 128gb (non xl) two months ago how that I'm learning that the Pixel 2 is being manufactured by Life's Good™ LLC (maker of $79 VCRs in 1983) and without a loving headphone jack and a new cool camera bump.

I usually massively regret buying something before the new iteration is announced. Not this time, Goldstar!