Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tarnien posted:

Any of you pro-AF goons have tips for increasing fire rate/firing full auto from range? I can single click decently accurately, am riding a ~2.5kda in most modes, but I'm absolute trash at full auto from anything further than 10 feet. I can't even single-click that fast from range without recoil getting out of control, and I feel like it's one of my biggest weaknesses in this game.

Any general rules/tips for controlling recoil from range?

Getting the comp is probably your highest priority for controllable auto fire, as even with grips and butts if you don't have a barrel attachment you're missing out on a lot of recoil reduction. Suppressors additionally don't have any recoil reduction.

The other thing to realize is moving one iota will make the reticule/recoil bloom like crazy so you might want to not be running and gunning if you expect to hit much from 100m out. If you are running and gunning I find the angled grip works pretty good for that.

Also there's the standard thing of turning your DPI down so when you are correcting full auto fire you aren't overcompensating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Im starting to think lag is a big factor sometimes. I started punching a dude way before he started hitting me(sneak attack from behind) and he still won the fight.

Aim up, above their head. You can get punch headshots that do a lot more damage.

The Walrus posted:

dipped my toe into squad games with goons last night and had a good time thanks for games

question though, as someone who's not really familiar with the ebb and flow of squad games, how does the early game work in terms of coordination, looting and engagements? How much should you be spreading out? work building next to a squad mate or give him a group of buildings to clear? if another squad is known to be in the town are people best served to group up or are the early minutes just going to be one on one encounters mainly?

We had a few games where we just weren't coordinated enough when looting, which lead to us being scattered when the shooting started. We came out on top of these early encounters a couple of times but always lost at least a squad member
In a smallish place like Pochinki, I think a squad should land in one corner of the town and loot near each other. As soon as everyone has a pistol or better, you should start hunting. In the few squad games I've played, I try to be the guy that's saying "you got a pistol/uzi/shotgun? Good enough, lets group up and start hunting". Knock out 1 or 2 of another squads lone looters asap and you're likely going to win that match up.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

willroc7 posted:

Are there any new recommended settings for optimizing frame rate? I've got 1080 driving a 1440p 165hz monitor and I've tinkered with the various video settings in the game but I seem to get stuttering and frame drops regardless. I've got an older processor (i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz) so I'm not sure if that's bottle-necking me. Would going from 16gb of RAM to 32 make any improvement?

Some stuttering is server related. If the stuttering is mostly early game it might just be the server. Game is not optimized enough so that no one experiences frame drops. I doubt going to 32 gigs of RAM will make a difference. Running off of an SSD I assume.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Ashrik posted:

In a smallish place like Pochinki, I think a squad should land in one corner of the town and loot near each other. As soon as everyone has a pistol or better, you should start hunting. In the few squad games I've played, I try to be the guy that's saying "you got a pistol/uzi/shotgun? Good enough, lets group up and start hunting". Knock out 1 or 2 of another squads lone looters asap and you're likely going to win that match up.

This bears re-emphasizing: if you know you have enemies in your AO, you find a gun and hunt them. You do not want to be on the receiving end of an ambush if you're spread out. Yes, they'll communicate your position to the rest of their squad, but with clever maneuvering, you can set up firing positions that'll let you wipe them.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Tonetta posted:

the client is also completely hosed and infuriating

I've been out of town a few days and haven't played yet. What's happening to the client?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Some stuttering is server related. If the stuttering is mostly early game it might just be the server. Game is not optimized enough so that no one experiences frame drops. I doubt going to 32 gigs of RAM will make a difference. Running off of an SSD I assume.

Yep, running on an nvme ssd. It's not just early game, though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

After dealing with origin and the bf1 ui, this client is heavenly

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

willroc7: Most of my stuttering went away (same processor, 8GB ram, SSD) when I set texture to and shadow to medium. I'm on low or very low for everything else except view distance. I forget what that's at. I didn't gently caress around and check FPS stuff though, so I'm sure there's a more optimal setting.

Just got 8 more GBs, so hopefully that helps it improve too.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I had a real good takedown yesterday where I just wrecked a team inside a house with my teammate. I am usually not this efficient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAR38DCeGyo

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I've been out of town a few days and haven't played yet. What's happening to the client?

They put out a patch late last night that broke some stuff in game, and the servers have been down sporadically since then. It'll probably be fine by this evening if past patches are any indication.

Vahakyla posted:

I had a real good takedown yesterday where I just wrecked a team inside a house with my teammate. I am usually not this efficient.

If you rewatch that clip, you'll notice that the team in the house was actually fighting a different group at the same time. 1 of the 3 people upstairs had been knocked out already with a friend rezzing him, and another of his friends managed to kill people while you all were sneaking up. The last guy you killed was the last survivor of that other team. I don't think you two cleared the house really well, you just managed to take advantage of 2 teams that were already engaged.

But this is still a good example of why you should record your matches, because in the moment I'm sure I wouldn't have recognized any of that stuff either.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 27, 2017

Ancelm
Apr 10, 2016

You'll never take me alive, copper!
Surprisingly good for an early access game. If you want to die continuously and eventually get carried by Russians, this is the game for you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vahakyla posted:

Don't bother with the music or intro next time.

Ancelm
Apr 10, 2016

You'll never take me alive, copper!

buckets of buckets posted:

Thinking of changing my strategy by keeping the VSS, shotguns and uzis I do well with rather than swapping them for the 'better' guns I suck with

Only problem with the VSS is the low damage. If that's your only long/medium range weapon you'll probably die.If you can find one, I'd drop the uzi for the AKM or one of the M16 variants for medium range combat.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Discospawn posted:

If you rewatch that clip, you'll notice that the team in the house was actually fighting a different group at the same time. 1 of the 3 people upstairs had been knocked out already with a friend rezzing him, and another of his friends managed to kill people while you all were sneaking up. The last guy you killed was the last survivor of that other team. I don't think you two cleared the house really well, you just managed to take advantage of 2 teams that were already engaged.

But this is still a good example of why you should record your matches, because in the moment I'm sure I wouldn't have recognized any of that stuff either.

Yeah, you are right. The dude gets knocked down as I ascend the stairs.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Don't bother with the music or intro next time.

lol this free software forces me to use some intro and music or pay the full price.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vahakyla posted:

lol this free software forces me to use some intro and music or pay the full price.

Haha, what the hell?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Haha, what the hell?

Yeah, I just picked the first one from windows store to quickly trim a clip and I I just chose a track and an intro. Pretty mentally abusive way to make a free trial, I'd say. There were four tracks to choose and four intros. I could've chosen jazz and butterflies.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Vahakyla posted:

jazz and butterflies.

The correct choice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah, I just picked the first one from windows store to quickly trim a clip and I I just chose a track and an intro. Pretty mentally abusive way to make a free trial, I'd say. There were four tracks to choose and four intros. I could've chosen jazz and butterflies.

It explains why they're so...incongruous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

willroc7 posted:

Yep, running on an nvme ssd. It's not just early game, though.

I'm running on a 1070 and don't have any of those issues. So I'm wondering if the bottleneck is your processor. I've got a 6600k and it never seems pushed beyond 50% load. I also have 16 GB ram and am running on an SSD.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

That was some pretty bad driving / parking for attacking a house. Probably should have died when you stopped to drop your buddy off.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

So I quickly browsed the PUBG subreddit (lol) and holy poo poo people are mad about keys. Many people are screaming about how it's going to ruin the game, some even drawing parallels to the abject failure that is CS:GO.

that is just awful, being compared to one of hte most successful games on steam

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

https://streamable.com/k0lrq

entertaining decision by me to whip the dacia around a bunch, but worth it for my childlike claps and squeals at the end

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jbz posted:

https://streamable.com/k0lrq

entertaining decision by me to whip the dacia around a bunch, but worth it for my childlike claps and squeals at the end

Who the hell is playing with a controller :stare:

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

The icons doesn't go away if you have one plugged in.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I had the most amazing death yesterday. Another goon and I were trying to run over someone and we collided. My buggy ended up a few hundred feet in the air and I flew halfway across the map. I died when it landed and rolled a few dozen times.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

willroc7 posted:

Are there any new recommended settings for optimizing frame rate? I've got 1080 driving a 1440p 165hz monitor and I've tinkered with the various video settings in the game but I seem to get stuttering and frame drops regardless. I've got an older processor (i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz) so I'm not sure if that's bottle-necking me. Would going from 16gb of RAM to 32 make any improvement?

Previously I had an i5-4690k @ 4.4GHz with a 1080 pushing frames to a 1080p 144Hz monitor and it was bottlenecked to hell in Battlefield 1. I never played PUBG back when I had that setup though. I doubt going from 16GB to 32GB of RAM would make any difference. Upgrading my processor made a world of difference for BF1. Not sure if it would be the same for PUBG though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's a news item on the game page, but if you collected your ugly rear end Twitch Prime loot last month it's selling for dumb (like early days of trading card market) prices on the Steam Marketplace.

If you didn't open it up you can get like 20 bucks, but I just made like seven dollars for selling the individual pieces.

e:poo poo the twitch prime crate is up to over 30 bucks now

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

fletcher posted:

Previously I had an i5-4690k @ 4.4GHz with a 1080 pushing frames to a 1080p 144Hz monitor and it was bottlenecked to hell in Battlefield 1. I never played PUBG back when I had that setup though. I doubt going from 16GB to 32GB of RAM would make any difference. Upgrading my processor made a world of difference for BF1. Not sure if it would be the same for PUBG though.

Balls. Guess I have to spend more money, then I'll be good at this game. :shepspends:

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

DrNutt posted:

It's a news item on the game page, but if you collected your ugly rear end Twitch Prime loot last month it's selling for dumb (like early days of trading card market) prices on the Steam Marketplace.

If you didn't open it up you can get like 20 bucks, but I just made like seven dollars for selling the individual pieces.

Now imagine holding on to it for a lot longer, and selling that crap for 10 times that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Is there any truth to setting textures and draw distance to ultra putting more of the load on the GPU than my older CPU? I haven't noticed a big difference in frames regardless of what they're set at.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Now imagine holding on to it for a lot longer, and selling that crap for 10 times that.

So what you're saying is I should buy 1800 twitch balaklavas @ $3/ea and retire?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

willroc7 posted:

Is there any truth to setting textures and draw distance to ultra putting more of the load on the GPU than my older CPU? I haven't noticed a big difference in frames regardless of what they're set at.

Anti-aliasing is the one that mattered to me. Changing it from very low to ultra doubled my framerate, presumably by moving load off of my CPU from 2009.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Strike while the iron is hot with Steam Marketplace friend, you never know when something will happen that craters the market.

chocoTaco
Jul 22, 2017

Tarnien posted:

Any of you pro-AF goons have tips for increasing fire rate/firing full auto from range? I can single click decently accurately, am riding a ~2.5kda in most modes, but I'm absolute trash at full auto from anything further than 10 feet. I can't even single-click that fast from range without recoil getting out of control, and I feel like it's one of my biggest weaknesses in this game.

Any general rules/tips for controlling recoil from range?

If you have an M4 or scar with a grip, it really just comes to pulling down. PUBG has very little horizontal recoil.

If you have an AKM, I would recommend 4-5 shot bursts instead of full auto. The recoil becomes unpredictably crazy after the first 5 or so shots.

Also, if you want to work on your recoil control practice on the spawn island before every game. Just grab an AR and practice on a wall.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DrNutt posted:

Selling that Prime garbage day one funded buying all the non PU clothing items and I still had $10 left afterwards. Just wish I hadn't opened it at all to get the like $50 the boxes were going for during the first few hours.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Are you guys up on discord for team games? Does SA PUBG have its own channel?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shima Honnou posted:

Selling that Prime garbage day one funded buying all the non PU clothing items and I still had $10 left afterwards. Just wish I hadn't opened it at all to get the like $50 the boxes were going for during the first few hours.

Yeah, I got all the clothing items I wanted and now I'm five bucks ahead for the next steam sale. Pretty neat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Why are the boxes going for more than the clothing combined? Doesn't the box just hold the clothing pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yodzilla posted:

Why are the boxes going for more than the clothing combined? Doesn't the box just hold the clothing pieces?

Yep. No clue, unless people think they're investing by snatching up the boxes. (Lol)

• Locked thread