Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Colgate posted:

I don't know why, but this wasn't the case for me. I started running into issues around 40, where I had to run another Cutter's Cry to level up before I could progress to the next part. Then again, this is pretty much jetting from MSQ to MSQ, ignoring any FATEs and sidequests along the way.

The same thing happened to me in the 40s, this was a couple weeks ago. I haven't run into any levelling dead spaces in HW thanks to the occasional dungeon roulette, and also doing all the sidequests so I can find out more about the world (Nonmind!)

Erg posted:

Lmao at trying to double weave if you have complaints about latency

I don't know what this means! My knowledge of most of the classes is pretty poor, outside of AST/SCH/PLD.

Edit: I guess my question should be, are any of the Melee DPS classes workable at 170ms?

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Shy posted:

Just buy both if you want to, I don't know what's your idea of chill leveling experience but chances are you're going to grind the same couple of instances for days and get tired of it long before reaching 60. MSQ is a good source of xp, if nothing else.

edit: forgot to mention those instances are going to be bad and your ability set is going to be minimal and underwhelming.

Well maybe I don't understand how this MSQ thing works, but I get the impression if I'm level 50 and haven't finished the main storyline, there's no progressing until I do.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Well maybe I don't understand how this MSQ thing works, but I get the impression if I'm level 50 and haven't finished the main storyline, there's no progressing until I do.

Thats only if you dont have the expansion. If you have Heavensward you will level up like normal.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Colgate posted:

I don't know why, but this wasn't the case for me. I started running into issues around 40, where I had to run another Cutter's Cry to level up before I could progress to the next part. Then again, this is pretty much jetting from MSQ to MSQ, ignoring any FATEs and sidequests along the way.

This is absolutely the correct way to play the game and anybody new should follow this advice. I run a small FC filled with a lot of new players and they all significantly outlevel the main scenario quests because they do every piece of side content available to them, including dipping into the ARR relic questline. I'm sure they don't mind, but to me it seems like a slow and tedious way to play the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cheap Trick posted:

I don't know what this means! My knowledge of most of the classes is pretty poor, outside of AST/SCH/PLD.

Double weaving isn't really a class specific thing, though Ninja probably do it the most - it's using two Off-gcd abilities during the same gcd period without clipping into your next gcd.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Double weaving isn't really a class specific thing, though Ninja probably do it the most - it's using two Off-gcd abilities during the same gcd period without clipping into your next gcd.

Ohh thank you. I was able to do something like that in WoW, but then Australia does have local servers so my latency was more like 80ms.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a bad habit of trying to double weave RDM things, like Fleche and Acceleration in the same GCD, and I almost always clip my next GCD in the process. I really should stop that.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cheap Trick posted:

The same thing happened to me in the 40s, this was a couple weeks ago. I haven't run into any levelling dead spaces in HW thanks to the occasional dungeon roulette, and also doing all the sidequests so I can find out more about the world (Nonmind!)

DRG has a lot of pushing buttons in between GCD to maximize damage, and sometimes pushing two buttons in between a GCD is the most optimal. This can get a little tight even on good connections

It's not like required to do good damage, but you do need it for really good damage

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Countblanc posted:

And Dragoons have like 15 off GCD abilities that you're using as much as possible.

I don't know how Ninjas work but I assume that they either have as many/more or they combo in ways that you're using a lot of them close together.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, I think Sephirot was the first boss that used it (although not for a split-damage mechanic oddly enough), but Nidhogg's likely to be where new players will first encounter it if they're just doing the MSQ.

It's used in Void Ark, and I think Thordan Ex used it as well, so it was around in at least 3.1. I can't think of any mandatory encounters that used it before Nidhogg so it might be the first MSQ appearance.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

I have a bad habit of trying to double weave RDM things, like Fleche and Acceleration in the same GCD, and I almost always clip my next GCD in the process. I really should stop that.

Well you ideally want to do it, it just takes practice (and decent latency). Abilities with animation lock are a bit different, like I never try to double weave Displacement with other skills, but you should be able to fit Fleche and Acceleration into the same gcd. Note that this doesn't apply during your melee combo since those have much shorter gcds.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cheap Trick posted:

Ohh thank you. I was able to do something like that in WoW, but then Australia does have local servers so my latency was more like 80ms.
High ping weaving:

https://gfycat.com/AgonizingAnchoredDalmatian

Low ping weaving:

https://gfycat.com/ImmaterialUnlinedHorsechestnutleafminer

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

meiram posted:

Are those ever explained in game though? If you're just going through everything with pugs and nobody mentions "if you get this, run in" then they may never learn. If he still did it after an explanation though, and kept doing it, then I guess there's just no helping some people.

IMO they should add a few more guildhests to help explain how to manage more advanced markers, and newer things like mashing events. "Don't stand in the glowy" is easy enough, but when you start getting mandatory quests and battles that incorporate unfamiliar markers, new players are gonna be at a loss and that feels unfair.

I mean, yes, you could also just ask other players, but not everyone is going to be willing to share info. Having something in-game to teach you this stuff, along with a bonus incentive for doing training, would be nice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Your pedantry is showing. It's ok to call things other things.

Just call them boost books! That's even less typing required and it sounds good too!

Where the heck did "jump potion" even come from?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

Just call them boost books! That's even less typing required and it sounds good too!

Books take forever to read, just gimme a option to chug a strange liquid and let me get on with it

KoB
May 1, 2009
Everyone else is standing under the big marker, maybe I should too?

No, its everyone thats wrong.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

i have an incredible urge to steal your lunch money

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm going to call them book potions now.

Countblanc posted:

Well you ideally want to do it, it just takes practice (and decent latency). Abilities with animation lock are a bit different, like I never try to double weave Displacement with other skills, but you should be able to fit Fleche and Acceleration into the same gcd. Note that this doesn't apply during your melee combo since those have much shorter gcds.

Yeah, Fleche actually isn't the problem as much as Displacement or Corps-a-corps are, now that I think about it.

I actually really enjoy how well the animations for Fleche and Contre Sixte weave into the casting animation, as a side note. If you start casting a spell with a cast time while you're still in the air from the awesome Contre Sixte kick-jump, you'll still see your little crystal focus thing start glowing the right color. It's nice.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sometimes I run away from people in Temple of Fisting with the marker because they're all standing in the dragon heads or something dumb so it's either me dying or all of us dying.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Is Ninja cool? I've been thinking of using a book potion on Ninja after I turned out to not really be into the new DRG and MCH. I hear they attack real fast like monks.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Saint Freak posted:

Sometimes I run away from people in Temple of Fisting with the marker because they're all standing in the dragon heads or something dumb so it's either me dying or all of us dying.

My favourite use of the stack marker is in the latter half of o3 when I sometimes have to loving run away from people with damage markers trying to stand on me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is Ninja cool? I've been thinking of using a book potion on Ninja after I turned out to not really be into the new DRG and MCH. I hear they attack real fast like monks.

They don't have as fast of a GCD as Monk but they have a lot more than goes on between GCDs so they still feel really fast. I think they're generally accepted to be the most complex melee job but they're a lot of fun and everyone loves having a Ninja around.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is Ninja cool?
I've not played it since before HW but it was neat and quite fun but the answer to this question is that if you run around with your weapons unsheathed, you are objectively uncool.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
When I'm parched I reach for my FFXIV Brand Level-Raising Bubbly Quaffables available in Citrus or Grape.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2of98A86aI

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo I forgot about that ad

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nothing will top that sex phoneline ad for FFTA

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I'm trying to get back into this game after playing it back in 1.0. I started a new character, and as another poster mentioned - the combat is incredibly dull with 2 buttons and a lot of running around. I looked up the job book potion things, and would like some clarification. If I boost a job to 60, how long does it take to do the MSQ campaign myself (arr+heavensward). I heard good things about the story, so I don't want to skip the heavensward campaign if possible. Having access to your full skillset should trivialize the ARR msqs right?

Or is there no point to it, and I should suck it up and use the MSQ booster too?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It'll take you a decent chunk of time to do the story and a lot of it is intensely bad. Like anything at level 50 after the Praetorium until you unlock Heavensward is torturous.

The story's not that good anyway, so if you're into MMOs for gameplay, you're best off getting a story skip too and hoping you like 60 to 70 and 70 gameplay.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 27, 2017

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Get both book potions and save yourself the time. Getting just the level one but not the story one means you have to do the whole story, and if you engage with it, it'll take 30+ hours. This is partially because you have to do dungeons and trials as part of the MSQ. But because of your level that will be the ONLY thing you'll have to do. It's basically a time vs. money situation.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yeah, the self-buff that any NIN player wants to have up at basically all times vastly increases their attack speed and decreases the GCD. Their GCD's typically aren't quite as fast as monks, but NIN has a lot more stuff they have to weave in between GCDs, most notably the multi-button mudras that trigger various different Ninjitsu. This is what people mean when they say NIN suffers at high latency, any significant lag will pretty much guarantee you're clipping your GCD a lot. However GCD clipping really isn't that big of a deal until you're running savage content where every last bit of dps you can squeeze counts.

The reason your team mates will love you as a NIN is that every 60 seconds you can increase the raid's overall damage by 10%, and you have some of the best enmity controlling abilities in the game. (Although again, the enmity stuff doesn't really shine till you're doing endgame content, high level tanks love you for it though.)

Also when you reach Stormblood you get to set giant toads on fire and throw them at your enemies.

using a jump potion will obviously allow you to skip the Rogue, which on the one hand has its good side because as previously stated the baseline Rogue is a really boring class mechanically. (Because most of their interesting off-GCD stuff is only added by the Ninja job, and their basic low level rotation is just the same combo over and over again.) On the other hand they do have some really good class quests which its a shame to skip.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you end up loving the game, you can always just make a new character and do the story on that character with your high level one bankrolling it for vendor gear and maybe FC buddies doing the instances with you anyway so you can experience the story after the fact.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

nuru posted:

Succor's potency numbers don't make sense in a O3S/O4S world, and Fey Union's windup time (movement, 2 second animation, time to mediocre tick) combined with locking out Whispering Dawn is a bit absurd. But hey, Dissipation is fun in progression.
Otherwise, WHM/SCH is ok so far. It's hard to convince myself that we should give WHM/AST a try.

Succor does make sense in O3S and O4S.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As a final note on Ninja for the people asking - ninja and bard are like, the two permanent fixtures among Savage groups so far based on logs I've seen. Even Paladin seems to have more bench time than those two.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Also when you reach Stormblood you get to set giant toads on fire and throw them at your enemies.

Actually you ride the giant toad as it projectile vomits liquid fire :frogc00l:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

KoB posted:

What does snapshot mean? That it updates the dots on your current buffs/debuff or that it extends the original potency when first applied?

Similarly, should I use the Samurai Kenki potency buff on the dot Iaijutsu? Does that increase dot potency?

(Sorry I never remember many skill names.)

Snapshot means that when you use the dot, it takes what your current buffs/debuffs are and applies the dot at that level for the entire duration of the dot. So even if you had 1 second left on raging strikes as you use iron jaws, the dots will do +20% damage for the entire duration of the dot. It'll update the dot based on current buffs at the point it was applied but only at that point.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

That's what the boost was referred to in the interviews discussing the possibility of a boost function.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's really hosed up that the best solution SE could offer for the problem of "the early game is boring and bad" is "give us more money".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

It's really hosed up that the best solution SE could offer for the problem of "the early game is boring and bad" is "give us more money".

I know Yoshida has mentioned in at least one interview that he'd like to do a Cataclysm-like revamp of the 2.0 zones some time, which would also be a good opportunity to smooth out the early leveling experience. I really don't know how that'd work for FFXIV, though, especially given the massive amount of story in 2.0 and the sharp focus the game has on story and continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
1-50 is way too long with not enough stuff/skills, just smash it all together into like 30 levels

make the level cap 50 again