Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good on you Murkowski

I've been contacting her and Sullivan (even though he's useless) every few days about healthcare, but this was the first time I've had to call and tell a Senator that I support her telling the President to gently caress right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
For fucks sake this whole Sessions thing has me tied up in knots. Because on the one hand gently caress Jeff Sessions and getting rid of him would be fantastic. But on the other hand his presence is a clear threat to Trump, and is keeping the Mueller investigation unfettered.

Am I rooting for Sessions or not? I can't decide.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

business hammocks posted:

Kind of?

Transgender Service Members Can Stay in the Military for Now, Pentagon Official Says
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/politics/transgender-military-trump-ban.html

It's more like they need actual, specific commands to implement, and there's been no suggestion that they'll get them.

I'm honestly wondering if Trump just never mentions this again and a few weeks from now we're all 'So I guess that's just not happening' :shrug:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The transgender military thing really is like an even more incompetent version of the travel ban, in that it's a horrendously awful idea that officials said "the implementation for this is so unclear, we can't really do anything until the President tells us what he actually means."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

For fucks sake this whole Sessions thing has me tied up in knots. Because on the one hand gently caress Jeff Sessions and getting rid of him would be fantastic. But on the other hand his presence is a clear threat to Trump, and is keeping the Mueller investigation unfettered.

Am I rooting for Sessions or not? I can't decide.

The meteor, you're rooting for the meteor

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

business hammocks posted:

Kind of?

Transgender Service Members Can Stay in the Military for Now, Pentagon Official Says
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/us/politics/transgender-military-trump-ban.html

It's more like they need actual, specific commands to implement, and there's been no suggestion that they'll get them.

"In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect" is a broadside.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Spiritus Nox posted:

The meteor, you're rooting for the meteor

A gay flaming meteor

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His presence isn't a threat to Trump, though. He just feels wronged because Sessions isn't doing only and exactly what Trump wants. It's all in the guy's head. Sessions would gladly do anything feasible that Trump wants, even now.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

No.

They can however force Trump to go through all the myriad, byzantine channels to do this which he's almost certainly incapable of doing.

https://thinkprogress.org/transgender-policy-joint-chiefs-2da899e936b5

Yep, the Joint Chiefs are doing just that. A tweet isn't an order, apparently.

The chairman of of the Chiefs also stated:

General Joseph Dunford posted:

“In the meantime, we will continue to treat all of our personnel with respect"

efb. You guys are quick!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bicyclops posted:

The transgender military thing really is like an even more incompetent version of the travel ban, in that it's a horrendously awful idea that officials said "the implementation for this is so unclear, we can't really do anything until the President tells us what he actually means."

It is also similar in that it is going to get settled in front of the Supreme Court. Of course will be lots of lawsuits and appeals in the meantime.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BrandorKP posted:

Transgender Service Members Can Stay in the Military for Now, Pentagon Official Says https://nyti.ms/2tN16H1

Edit: Dammit too slow

They may get to stay, but a wave of them have already been assigned modified duties. A co-worker's relative was supposed to deploy for a training mission next week and they already pulled her orders and stuck her behind a desk.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Deptfordx posted:

I'm honestly wondering if Trump just never mentions this again and a few weeks from now we're all 'So I guess that's just not happening' :shrug:

I thought the same thing when this came out. If there's no follow-up past the Twitter announcement then nothing happens. And what's more, it's come out that this was all due to Trump misunderstanding a request from house Republicans (they wanted him to ban reassignment surgeries), so the impetus to follow up might not be there.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

:stare: Jesus loving Christ. This is the one, this is the thing that breaks my brain

I don't really know the context of the tweet, but that's a pretty old joke from a black comedian. I don't remember the exact joke but it's something like black people are black in the daytime, black at night, black when we're cold, and black in the sun. White people though are white in the day, black at night. Blue when they're cold and red in the sun. White people are the ones who should be called colored.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

MacheteZombie posted:

They may get to stay, but a wave of them have already been assigned modified duties. A co-worker's relative was supposed to deploy for a training mission next week and they already pulled her orders and stuck her behind a desk.

I mean, I understand the sentiment of "sit tight until we figure out wtf". Is desk work frowned upon?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phoix posted:

Bernie riding the parliamentarians rear end.

https://twitter.com/patcaldwell/status/890608380586237952

bernie's staff has been doing absolutely heroic work on this

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

JVNO posted:

I hate that, as an ex-infantry pacifist who despises the military industrial complex, I'm now defending the rights of trans people to enlist.

On the one hand I'm reminded of that twitter comment along the lines o:

On the other hand, gently caress discrimination and the example this sets about scapegoating vulnerable demographics. Holy poo poo.

This must be what real, honest-to-god cognitive dissonance feels like.

its not cognitive dissonance because you are aware of the conflict and acknowledge it

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

I mean, I understand the sentiment of "sit tight until we figure out wtf". Is desk work frowned upon?

It's certainly easier to be discharged if you're on American soil.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/890613322055208960
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/890612354366423040

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JVNO posted:

I hate that, as an ex-infantry pacifist who despises the military industrial complex, I'm now defending the rights of trans people to enlist.

On the one hand I'm reminded of that twitter comment along the lines o:

On the other hand, gently caress discrimination and the example this sets about scapegoating vulnerable demographics. Holy poo poo.

This must be what real, honest-to-god cognitive dissonance feels like.

It is 100% possible to be a pacifist and also to acknowledge discrimination in an organization or group you don't agree with. That isn't cognitive dissonance.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/890615779636297728

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Simplex posted:

I don't really know the context of the tweet, but that's a pretty old joke from a black comedian. I don't remember the exact joke but it's something like black people are black in the daytime, black at night, black when we're cold, and black in the sun. White people though are white in the day, black at night. Blue when they're cold and red in the sun. White people are the ones who should be called colored.

the context of the tweet is that it's nazi propaganda about white genocide

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blitz7x posted:

It is if she then can't meet training requirements or misses a promotion or something similar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zil posted:

It is also similar in that it is going to get settled in front of the Supreme Court. Of course will be lots of lawsuits and appeals in the meantime.

Well, only if he ever actually creates a policy document beyond a three Tweet announcement. I assume that's coming, but who knows what the hell it will look like by the time it actually gets written?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

It makes it easier to get discharged.

But also some soldiers have done very little desk work. They've been primarily deployed in tactical situations. You are disrupting the tactical effectiveness of deployed troops by removing soldiers with combat experience.

e: beaten.

while I don't support the military actions overseas, using the excuse of improving morale, tactical readiness, or w/e is pretty bullshit when you're removing experienced soldiers from combat roles.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Failing Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos is now the richest man in the world.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Can military leaders say "we disagree and will not ban transgender population from being in military?

No, and they cannot come even close to it. However the military's ability to fight poo poo it dislikes by tying it up with internal bureaucratic red tape is without peer in the modern world. So far the military's response has been officer speak for "Oh so you think Congress can drag its feet? That's adorable :allears:".

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 27, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

I thought the same thing when this came out. If there's no follow-up past the Twitter announcement then nothing happens. And what's more, it's come out that this was all due to Trump misunderstanding a request from house Republicans (they wanted him to ban reassignment surgeries), so the impetus to follow up might not be there.

I think it depends. Is this his broke brain misunderstanding a Ryan request or is Pence driving this behind the scenes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Party Plane Jones posted:

Cause tax write-off?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just can't help but wonder what it must feel like to be deployed and currently serving abroad when all of a sudden your President, with all the forethought of a tweet, singles you out and makes it explicit that you're not worth it.

Like, everyone who is deployed goes through some rough patches, but that'd be such an unnecessary punch in the gut on an already poo poo situation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Skinny Repeal, wandering the burnt husk of the apocalypse, trying to rescue his family, probably long gone, from the malevolent Great King of the Ashen Lands, Byrd Rule

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/890606495737405442

Murkowski chairs the committee that approves Interior appointees.

Well I was wrong, kinda because I didn't expect the secretary of the interior to threaten a person that has real power over him. Hope Murkowski holds on this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Cause tax write-off?

Stock price jump.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Skinny Repeal, wandering the burnt husk of the apocalypse, trying to rescue his family, probably long gone, from the malevolent Great King of the Ashen Lands, Byrd Rule

Neil Stephenson and his wacky character names!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Blitz7x posted:

What if my senators are Cornyn and Cruz

Call them and tell them the bill isn't evil enough. Especially Cruz.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

RottenK posted:

the context of the tweet is that it's nazi propaganda about white genocide

So white supremacists wish to use colored as a pejorative, while at the same time claim it as their own. And to do so they'll reference an old black comedian's joke. Well now my brain broke

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Tbf a lot of that money is purely theoretical based upon a share price that would tank if he was seen trying to sell off a significant amount of.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What exactly is the Byrd Rule everyone is talking about?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simplex posted:

So white supremacists wish to use colored as a pejorative, while at the same time claim it as their own. And to do so they'll reference an old black comedian's joke. Well now my brain broke

It's not complex. They want all positive traits or connotation to apply to them and all negative traits and connotation to apply to others. They will gladly adopt any positive traits used by others and try to make it about them without it confusing them because they know the difference between "I am colorful and wonderful" and "those colored boys" in their own brain.

The 'white people are the real colorful ones' is a really really old thing though. You hear it a lot about hair color and how it's being 'erased' from certain shits.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HappyHippo posted:

I thought there were dozens of goons making this point?

Edit: and a bunch more who thought he'd tax the rich :lol:

I thought those things were possible, which is a different thing from likely.

Technically I still think they are, but as his administration started taking shape at the end of 2016 I steadily turned down the probability dial. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

A lot of the military higher ups would have been told stories by the WWII generation like this one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810162&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post472602931

This could be going much, much worse. Preventing horrific things like that is probably now on many senior officers minds.

• Locked thread