Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I loving love this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

someone PS it into Death to Moochy

I'm too tired

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Squizzle posted:

i knew about the tweet but hot god drat

yeah thats like military passive aggressiveness.txt, will be interesting to see what happens when both of his military people get back from vacation

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

everyone should go to law school

we need more lawyers

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Citizen Tayne posted:

Nope, "computer programs that are capable of high enough reasoning to automate you out of a job" don't exist either.

Take a Roomba, all it does is "clockwise spiral, hit a thing? Turn 45 degrees and try again".

"Computer programs that reason" don't exist and anyone trying to sell you on that is a liar.

self-driving cars are right around the corner!!!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

LinYutang posted:

I was poor and taught myself to code for free, now I have a stable fun job and could move anywhere really

Hell, wish I could code. But a little .ahk and Visual Basic for Applications has done a lot for my status at work.

And on that note, I'm hoping I can get out of here, go do some work. Toodles

Citizen Tayne posted:

"AI" as the layman understands it doesn't exist

The sales department figured out it'd be hard a long time ago and redefined what "AI" is to be incredibly simplistic. They couldn't bring Mohammed to the mountain so they brought the mountain to Mohammed.

Eh, cool spin. Maybe our understanding of intelligence has evolved and subsequently ..

triple sulk posted:

they also make coding out to be cool to kids when in reality 99.9% of coding jobs are horrible bureaucratic bullshit

See my above post. Everybody wants to do cool programming. Nobody wants to do the stuff that resembles work.

Oxxidation posted:

one of my biggest reasons for continuing to draw breath is the anticipation of getting to see thousand and thousand of programmers become unemployed and destitute

You really should have that looked at. Hah, just kidding, we may live to see the end of high technology IRL then you'll be happy I guess

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Joementum posted:

the branches of government are co-equal, you say? :thunk:

Zinke: it vould be such a shame if zomething vere to happen to your precious Alaska...

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

"Trump administration announces sale of Alaska to Russia"

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
whole lotta academic nerd poo poo here and not enough detached nihilism about our darkest timeline

I'd also accept more gabbaghoulie bambino

but im just a shitposter so

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Bert Roberge posted:

At least teach the loving basics so we don't get another Rick Perry supply and demand gaffe.

the true crisis of education: a generation of students who aren't taught meats

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

LinYutang posted:

there is no "nursing bubble" either, that's absurd

What is this based on?

Currently the requirements for an entry level nursing position are much higher than they were a decade ago and not for reasons of skill necessity. What would you consider that?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

euphronius posted:

we need more lawyers

lol why go to school i took an online course and now i'm my own country, get owned corporate entity of EUPHRONIUS

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

we need more lawyers

Technically we do, since Mueller is forever hiring.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

perry was kind of right

there are some things that need to be supplied before hey are demanded

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did reince and mooch gently caress and suck yet

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
seems like President Hatch is doing a bad job of managing this healthcare bill :thunk:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeNx2RTCMuY

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
if u think about it every object in the universe is a computer program operating according to the rules of physics

including ur brain, which makes u an ai

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

euphronius posted:

perry was kind of right

there are some things that need to be supplied before hey are demanded

The Easy D must be supplied

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Joementum posted:

the branches of government are co-equal, you say? :thunk:

Some are more equal than others

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

LinYutang posted:

Economics is mostly horseshit and the more fringe it is the better

Econ isn't horseshit, it's just that a significant and high-profile slice of the field sold out its integrity and began political shilling. No one in econ who still has a brain takes the chicago school, or most of what's being done in the us, as serious work

piketty still proves its value though and anyone actually interested in political economy should read his poo poo cause he'll probably be remembered as the new marx in a hundred or so years

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Trump is illiterate and senile and nobody in his house can draft policy that will withstand a lawsuit so "you can't just tweet huge changes to military service qualifications" is as good as asking him to pay an invoice by the due date. He can't find Pence since he's at an undisclosed pasture and Mattis is looking very hard for his lost shaker of salt, Bannon won't agree to help because it doesn't exempt white trans troops, Reince is so drunk he can strip paint off walls with his breath, Mooch offered but only sent [made up italian curses] as a draft, Kellyanne is currently replenishing her embalming fluids, the Millers are all at various dive bars trying new and exciting neg stacking approaches, Hucklebundy, yikes, and Mnuchin is just like "why would you do this beep boop look at the numbers"

Basically everyone is out and Trump had to do it alone so he went the only way he knew how

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Oxxidation posted:

one of my biggest reasons for continuing to draw breath is the anticipation of getting to see thousand and thousand of programmers become unemployed and destitute

this, but with computers replacing lawyers

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

president hatch sits in his room at night in his magic underwear trying to remember where he hid his secret mormon booze stash

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i had tacos for lunch, so i'm in a good mood

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bert Roberge posted:

At least teach the loving basics so we don't get another Rick Perry supply and demand gaffe.

rick perry is a cool dude and the nuclear arsenal is totally gonna be ok

The question on the minds of the people who currently work at the department: Does he know what it does now? D.O.E. press secretary Shaylyn Hynes assures us that “Secretary Perry is dedicated to the missions of the Department of Energy.” And in his hearings, Perry made a show of having educated himself. He said how useful it was to be briefed by former secretary Ernest Moniz. But when I asked someone familiar with those briefings how many hours Perry had spent with Moniz, he laughed and said, “That’s the wrong unit of account.” With the nuclear physicist who understood the D.O.E. perhaps better than anyone else on earth, according to one person familiar with the meeting, Perry had spent minutes, not hours. “He has no personal interest in understanding what we do and effecting change,” a D.O.E. staffer told me in June. “He’s never been briefed on a program—not a single one, which to me is shocking.”

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Sojenus posted:

i was a TA at a tech-focused school for a couple semesters and it was easy to tell who was plagiarizing because the writing would transition from middle school level to actually competent and back, it made my job very easy please don't teach these engineers english

what they actually need to know is german so they can read das kapital in the original language
marx himself preferred the 2nd ed of the french traduction 🇫🇷

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

holy cow they're one drink away from taking off their shirts and throwing down in the oval office

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

shoulda gone IO psych

:ssh: The University of Florida doesn't offer an IO Psych degree as a Bachelors :ssh:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

The fundamentals of econ are about as horseshit as the fundamentals of physics. i.e. They're both technically true and the math works out, but lol if those situations could ever exist or match the results IRL. Econ is a social science with regards to actually statistically analyzing markets and stuff and is about as valid as Biology in that regard.

biology is a lot more solid than modern econ dude

modern econ is like alchemy. it's a proto-science that can get a few things right some of the time, but is stuck in a false paradigm that invalidates a lot of its work, even the work that is technically sound, because so many false assumptions are built into the basic theories

marx is closer to being a chemist than an alchemist tho

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bump_fn posted:

did reince and mooch gently caress and suck yet

Eyy, wadda ya think this is, a yacht orgy I'm telling the Boy Scouts about? Have some goddamn respect for da office!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/890603443852722176

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Joementum posted:

seems like President Hatch is doing a bad job of managing this healthcare bill :thunk:

https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/833446201408286721

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xelkelvos posted:

What is this based on?

a guy who taught himself to code pulling it right outta his rear end

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Fuligin posted:

Econ isn't horseshit, it's just that a significant and high-profile slice of the field sold out its integrity and began political shilling. No one in econ who still has a brain takes the chicago school, or most of what's being done in the us, as serious work

piketty still proves its value though and anyone actually interested in political economy should read his poo poo cause he'll probably be remembered as the new marx in a hundred or so years

only study econ at umass amherst

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/890533439333695488

lol

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

Econ is a social science with regards to actually statistically analyzing markets and stuff and is about as valid as Biology in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Joementum posted:

i had tacos for lunch, so i'm in a good mood
with lots of chilis on them, eh dw?

• Locked thread