Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Coding should just be a part of any curriculum. It's a basic research and modern literacy skill and we shouldn't be forcing kids to learn the Dewey Decimal System instead of basic programming syntax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Jazerus posted:

lol how about including economics in all forms of higher education, it's not like an english major gets economics at the moment and STEM folks don't

I took a few economics electives as a STEMlord

lol'd heartily at the business majors in a 300-level course struggling to understand basic derivatives

don't remember much from micro or macro beyond the most simplistic reductionist views of the world.

e: can also confirm that telling engineers what to do rather than having to do it yourself is much better

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wife: "911 PLEASE COME HELP MY HUSBAND HE'S HAVING A HEART ATTACK"

911 dispatch: "PlEaSe Go hElP ThIS LaDY's HusBAnD BrEaK HiS BacK"

:cop:::cumpolice:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNXKJ0AbUc

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Squizzle posted:

wait i missed the military news, what happened wrt trans servicepeople??????

tromp put out a tweet saying to remove trans people from the military. Militaries response so far has been "give more specific instructions on how" so chances are nothing will happen.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

counterpoint: if web development was food I wouldn't feed it to my dog

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Surprising that the provision that would blow up the industry isn't budget neutral :thunk:
Can't wait to see how McConnell gets around this one.

Lol it's just gonna be gently caress You

gently caress it, if we're not gonna have healthcare might as well blow up a few senate rules as we go

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i was a TA at a tech-focused school for a couple semesters and it was easy to tell who was plagiarizing because the writing would transition from middle school level to actually competent and back, it made my job very easy please don't teach these engineers english

what they actually need to know is german so they can read das kapital in the original language

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That bill's already dead. What does this mean for passage of the empty skinny repeal and then the conference process? I'm assuming the House adn Senate both have to approve what comes out of conference and it'll be subject to Byrd then?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fingers in his belt like some stupid wild west sherrif laffo

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Yinlock posted:

In 1994, Pyongyang media reported that Kim Jong-il shot an amazing 11 holes-in-one to achieve an unprecedented 38-under-par game on a regulation 18-hole golf course - on his first try at golf.

Reports say each of his 17 bodyguards verified the record-breaking feat.

How much of that do you think is true? Obviously not anything related to the scores, but was he ever at the course? Was he ever at any course? Did he even know what golf was?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

what if donald just created the mooch in his brain to deal with the crippling loneliness that comes with being an idiot fascist president and there will be a big sad reveal scene like when you found out Brendan Fraser was dead

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Surprising that the provision that would blow up the industry isn't budget neutral :thunk:
Can't wait to see how McConnell gets around this one.

Lol it's just gonna be gently caress You

mcconnell has been playing by the parliamentarian's rules the entire time, tbf

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FizFashizzle posted:

the sheriff of suckin' Don off

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Naerasa posted:

How much of that do you think is true? Obviously not anything related to the scores, but was he ever at the course? Was he ever at any course? Did he even know what golf was?

yes

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FizFashizzle posted:

it's a power move to intimidate criminals like reince priebus

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Naerasa posted:

kim jong-un was educated in the west my dude

all of his kim-isms are to try to seem like the reincarnation of kim il-sung

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Agean90 posted:

tromp put out a tweet saying to remove trans people from the military. Militaries response so far has been "give more specific instructions on how" so chances are nothing will happen.

i knew about the tweet but hot god drat

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

"I Rinse my Pubis of you."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I avoid the web as much as possible so maybe they should stop developing it idk

it's bad

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

brugroffil posted:

I took a few economics electives as a STEMlord

lol'd heartily at the business majors in a 300-level course struggling to understand basic derivatives

Explaining derivatives is easy, you just get up in front of the class and say 'Calculus... is the study of change...' and then you take a huge bong rip and add 'You dig?'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

My bestie graduated right before the nursing bubble popped and was the last person in probably the whole state to get an ER job with just an LPN

Since then he's been forced pretty much at knifepoint to get his RN or else he was out of the job.

10 years ago an LPN could walk into a nice job. Now you've gotta be an RN with years of experience to get a foot in the door anywhere.

I think we're still a year or two out on this becoming the case with CS but it's absolutely happening.

also nursing has industry standards and licensure requirements making the barrier for entry quite a bit higher than "i got bored and learned it as a teen"

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Al! posted:

yeah but they give excellent roadside assistance (if they dont decide to murder you)

sorry that u want the police to be nice to people who beat their wives ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

euphronius posted:

I avoid the web as much as possible so maybe they should stop developing it idk

it's bad

same

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Xelkelvos posted:

The fundamentals of econ are about as horseshit as the fundamentals of physics. i.e. They're both technically true and the math works out, but lol if those situations could ever exist or match the results IRL. Econ is a social science with regards to actually statistically analyzing markets and stuff and is about as valid as Biology in that regard.

the fundamentals of physics are pretty useful on a macro scale

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

there is no "nursing bubble" either, that's absurd

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jazerus posted:

TE folks need more english, they are the ones with packed degree tracks that cut out the liberal arts. science and math programs are traditionally pretty broad and require a lot of humanities & social science credits

IME, this is probably accurate. There's usually enough latitude in the CLAS majors to take a minor or double major and the requirements (at least in Florida) required everyone to take a bit of everything including 2-3 semesters of a language. I used my time as a psych major taking all sorts of poo poo while I couldn't do anything when I went back for an Engineering degree (a mistake I currently live with as of now)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Al! posted:

whatever nerd

yeah yeah i know its shorthand for "computer programs that are capable of high enough reasoning to automate you out of a job" not actual artificial intelligent life

Nope, "computer programs that are capable of high enough reasoning to automate you out of a job" don't exist either.

Take a Roomba, all it does is "clockwise spiral, hit a thing? Turn 45 degrees and try again".

"Computer programs that reason" don't exist and anyone trying to sell you on that is a liar.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Naerasa posted:

i assume he went to the course and tried golf, was poo poo at it, then had everyone at the course killed and submitted that story

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Schnorkles posted:

mcconnell has been playing by the parliamentarian's rules the entire time, tbf

Yea but he's so close to the finish line and nobody will care if he shoots anyone to finish first.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Xelkelvos posted:

IME, this is probably accurate. There's usually enough latitude in the CLAS majors to take a minor or double major and the requirements (at least in Florida) required everyone to take a bit of everything including 2-3 semesters of a language. I used my time as a psych major taking all sorts of poo poo while I couldn't do anything when I went back for an Engineering degree (a mistake I currently live with as of now)

shoulda gone IO psych

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Yinlock posted:

north korea is a tall hurdle to beat

If this were a screwball comedy and not a horror movie, NK would have a standing offer that anyone who beats that golf score takes over the country, and America needed to elect the biggest golf cheat and liar to effect a peaceful solution.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

feels like humanities grads just are suffering from Sunk Cost fallacies from wasting all that time getting psychology majors

so they just make wild predictions about how growing fields with job availability are Going To Collapse Tomorrow, I Know It

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

haha fantastic

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Naerasa posted:

Explaining derivatives is easy, you just get up in front of the class and say 'Calculus... is the study of change...' and then you take a huge bong rip and add 'You dig?'

brb filing to give a TED talk

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Yinlock posted:

i assume he went to the course and tried golf, was poo poo at it, then had everyone at the course killed and submitted that story

I like to believe he did all that except the last part, and instead left his caddy alive and said "Now tell them how wonderful I was today" and let him take care of the rest.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the branches of government are co-equal, you say? :thunk:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Admiral Ray posted:

they really do. it's crazy annoying to read the poo poo they write and when you call them on it they get offended like being able to communicate effectively is below them

I'd attribute this to the cultural norm that "good, elegant code speaks for itself" and expressive code should read like math. Which, yeah, isn't wrong but as Knuth pointed out code is written by humans for humans and a human is going to be refactoring it someday and that's why we don't write everything in brainf*ck, so have some respect for your colleagues and don't write your docs like a six year old. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

LinYutang posted:

Economics is mostly horseshit and the more fringe it is the better

At least teach the loving basics so we don't get another Rick Perry supply and demand gaffe.

• Locked thread