Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It's nice and all, but I'm angry because every random thing they do further delays this work of art getting released:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I was all set on collecting orks, but after painting 20 orks with another 70+ at least to go for my 1500 list I think I might cry.

Considering just getting to 500pts for quick games and then starting a new army. Tempestus let's me use cool tanks without needing to paint another horde right?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I was all set on collecting orks, but after painting 20 orks with another 70+ at least to go for my 1500 list I think I might cry.

Considering just getting to 500pts for quick games and then starting a new army. Tempestus let's me use cool tanks without needing to paint another horde right?

The clear solution is to buy more big stuff so you have fewer models to paint 😃

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 27, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Tempestus are pretty associated with the Taurox, though, so if you find the square wheels goofy you're out of luck barring conversions.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

Tempestus are pretty associated with the Taurox, though, so if you find the square wheels goofy you're out of luck barring conversions.

Wheel conversion kits are very popular for Taurox.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

It's nice and all, but I'm angry because every random thing they do further delays this work of art getting released:

I have a hard time accepting that all their stuff is laser-cut sheets of wood.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

I have a hard time accepting that all their stuff is laser-cut sheets of wood.

WHAT

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yup: http://miniaturescenery.com/CategoryPage.asp?CODE=CAT_VH

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Death Guard is awesome but there is so much more diversity to Chaos, far more than you'll ever find in the loyalist chapters that are all just palette swaps of each other with various overpowered rules to keep the kids happy

This is why I gravitated towards Wolves. They evoke factions as diverse as Dwarfs and Norscan Chaos Warriors while still being loyalist, so you can beard it up while you hack and slaughter but also praise the Empruh

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Deified Data posted:

This is why I gravitated towards Wolves. They evoke factions as diverse as Dwarfs and Norscan Chaos Warriors while still being loyalist, so you can beard it up while you hack and slaughter but also praise the Empruh

If it stopped there I'd agree, but since Aryans and Furries also like Space Wolves I don't think I'd play them. Space Sharks 4 Lyfe.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Airbrush. Seriously. Even a cheap lovely one will make this infinitely more tolerable. Basecoat them green and brown, give them some zenithal highlights, wash, done. I do not know how I could have survived doing an Ork army without one.

:orks101:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

If it stopped there I'd agree, but since Aryans and Furries also like Space Wolves I don't think I'd play them. Space Sharks 4 Lyfe.

My Wolves are representative of the sort of ethnic make-up that would have migrated to Fenris originally, so diverse as all gently caress, as opposed to the nordic fantasy land people imagine it to be. It's still majority white so I can play with different hair colors since SW are the only chapter with a strong hair game, but every 3rd or 4th marine is distinctly non-white.

Can't do nothing about the furries, sadly. Sometimes furries like cool things like Blacksad and you just have to learn to coexist.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Past

The Present

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Please don't doxx me, etc.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I don't ever count up how many unpainted or unassembled models I own, that way lies madness!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Black_Nexus posted:

I don't ever count up how many unpainted or unassembled models I own, that way lies madness!

I don't think I could count that high. I'm sure some goons have more unpainted stuff than me. But I do have years worth of minis and terrain kicking around. Yet does that stop me buying even more stuff? Of course not!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

i'm the tornadodo

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't think I could count that high. I'm sure some goons have more unpainted stuff than me. But I do have years worth of minis and terrain kicking around. Yet does that stop me buying even more stuff? Of course not!

I try and keep all the unpainted poo poo in boxes out of sight. The problem is once I've painted stuff and taken a picture they end up in boxes too and I'm running out of space in the garage with my kids stuff in there too.

On a positive note took my 4yr old into a GW for the first time today (needed some more Agrax) and the guy working there was really uncomfortable that he was talking to him so much that he gave him some free plastic sigmarines to get rid of us. Free poo poo from GW, how the times have changed.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:sung in Crossfire jingle voice:

Crosspostiiiiiin!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

One of Phil's friends made him into a Glacial Geek Primaris Librarian who's smite is a concentrated WOOOO :kimchi:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fate of Konor has started. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/27/the-fate-of-konor-battle-begins-now/

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
http://www.zenterrain.com

These guys make amazing HDF vehicles and terrain too:

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TKIY posted:

http://www.zenterrain.com

These guys make amazing HDF vehicles and terrain too:

Oh they do really good looking stuff, kind of feels more infinity than 40k though

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Black_Nexus posted:

I lose track if I don't. Plus I'm an accountant so spreadsheets get me hot. That said, there's still stuff outside the sheet.

I absolutely must unload the poo poo for systems I don't even play though.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Bee posted:

JoshTheStampede posted:

Wheel conversion kits are very popular for Taurox.

Just to point out, while you need to be in the 'Militarum Tempestus' faction (or a commissar) to ride in a Taurox Prime, there's nothing stopping those troops riding in a Chimera, regular taurox, or any FW transport. Personally I think chimeras are cooler looking. I think people have said that the Taurox Prime is a lot of firepower for its points, but buying stuff based on that sort of thing is chancy - can always change with the codex release.

God drat I hope a guard codex is released before christmas.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I posted this upthread; today I finally got around to doing something with it:

I'm pleased with the result. I'll probably do some more creative stuff with these at some point, but for the first go I thought something fairly straightforward would be good. I do have a Land Raider up in the attic waiting to be wrecked...

Also I only just noticed that there's a random searchlight pointing inwards behind the little radio mast. Wow the dude who built that thing did a bad job.

Separate - someone talk to me about Deathwatch and AdMech. Both were added once I stopped playing. What do they look like on the board? How do they play? What do Deathwatch do differently to other Marines?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Artum posted:

Rip me, just have to highlight the last Intercessors and contemptor and paint the librarian and now my backlog just swelled by 13 men and a redemptor. :negative:

Man...I have the following, and I feel I am on the low end of backlogs around these parts.

15x Terminators
2x Full Sets of Dark Imperium Primaris Marines
1x Venerable Dreadnaught
1x Rhino Primaris

Artum posted:

43ppm with guns and grenades, about the same with flamestorm I think.

Dang, I was hoping they were slightly cheaper, that is about the same price of a terminator, but you swap the 2+ save for a +1 toughness, and no invulnerable save. That being said their movement is a lot higher than you might think since they can advance and fire their guns without penalty. Their rate of fire also vastly greater than terminators, and seems on par with Centurions but at a much lower cost.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Dang, I was hoping they were slightly cheaper, that is about the same price of a terminator, but you swap the 2+ save for a +1 toughness, and no invulnerable save. That being said their movement is a lot higher than you might think since they can advance and fire their guns without penalty. Their rate of fire also vastly greater than terminators, and seems on par with Centurions but at a much lower cost.

The maths on them look really solid so long as you can either double shoot or shoot then assault. a full squad of 6 costs less than a 5 man terminator squad and will smoke a full tactical squad with 20% overkill in one turn. The flame ones are basically the ultimate defensive horde/charge counter since if they remain stationary thats 4d6 flamethrower autohits per man on overwatch.

With the repulsor ill probably put a combat squad of them in there backed up by an apothecary and the gravis captain, and then maybe the overlord will be able to hold 6.

Failing that just footslog 6 of them with an apothecary picking them up as they go since they're surprisingly mobile.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Aren't aggressors A3 also? So they do more in melee than terminators.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

chutche2 posted:

I think they are 2, but yeah basically melee equivalent of Terminators with far greater firepower, just trying to get an idea of whether or not they can a competitive spot in an Ultramarine army. Usually I'm not a fan of dual purpose units, but they are a slick combo of short range firepower and melee capability that actually hasn't been present in Marine armies. I'm not feeling the flamers largely because so many units can charge you beyond their range.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

Nope, standard primaris distribution of 2 per man 3 per sergeant. In cc offense they're basically the same as tactical terminators but have a bit more punch against heavy armour since the sergeants also packing fists.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Aggressors main niche is just clear bodies, you're averaging a total of 114 shots out of a stationary aggressor squad at 18" range. Enough to pulp ~30 guardsmen/nids/orks and theres nothing else in the marine army with quite that much dakka.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Uroboros posted:

I think they are 2, but yeah basically melee equivalent of Terminators with far greater firepower, just trying to get an idea of whether or not they can a competitive spot in an Ultramarine army. Usually I'm not a fan of dual purpose units, but they are a slick combo of short range firepower and melee capability that actually hasn't been present in Marine armies. I'm not feeling the flamers largely because so many units can charge you beyond their range.

I see the flamers as not really being for overwatch so much, to me they're for having dudes pile out of a repulsor and setting the world on fire. The stationary overwatch thing seems like a trap with them.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Artum posted:

Aggressors main niche is just clear bodies, you're averaging a total of 114 shots out of a stationary aggressor squad at 18" range. Enough to pulp ~30 guardsmen/nids/orks and theres nothing else in the marine army with quite that much dakka.

Yeah, that's what I'm driving at, could I substitute them for my assault Razors as my anti infantry. With the ability to advance and fire without penalty you're looking at an avg move of 8-9 inches. And around 27 shots with bolter strength weapons even when moving. Compare this to 12 shots from the razor who suffers penalties to move, but is quicker and much more durable than a 3 man squad. On the flip side the aggressors can defend themselves in melee, and as Ultras can fallback and still shoot.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

"Dont worry that it's an imperium v chaos event, xenos players. You can also support either the imperium or chaos!"

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Are there many/any good marine power swords with the hilts still on that i can get or am i just going to have to pin and greenstuff some?

Gonna give my 2 existing intercessor sergeants power swords because good lord they're always the last to die and end up in close combat. That and its extremely cool.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

I'm the happy little warp rift.

My store's results have already been significantly hosed by a single Chaos player painting about 6 Dark Imperium boxes worth of Death Guard guys in a week, gonna have to pull my painting finger out (lol no) or grind out some games to even the score.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm driving at, could I substitute them for my assault Razors as my anti infantry. With the ability to advance and fire without penalty you're looking at an avg move of 8-9 inches. And around 27 shots with bolter strength weapons even when moving. Compare this to 12 shots from the razor who suffers penalties to move, but is quicker and much more durable than a 3 man squad. On the flip side the aggressors can defend themselves in melee, and as Ultras can fallback and still shoot.

I think having Ultra tactics is going to be really important for the Aggressors' playability.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

I'm the happy little warp rift.

My store's results have already been significantly hosed by a single Chaos player painting about 6 Dark Imperium boxes worth of Death Guard guys in a week, gonna have to pull my painting finger out (lol no) or grind out some games to even the score.

Are their not point limits, or did he just minmax it by fielding a crapton of drones?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

Are their not point limits, or did he just minmax it by fielding a crapton of drones?

Painting models grants points alongside game wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

Painting models grants points alongside game wins.

That is both an interesting way to encourage new players to get into the hobby, and a really annoying way of giving experienced, talented players with model backlogs a big boost. Especially when painting up Poxwalkers alone almost makes a Chaos player on par with an Imperium one, assuming Dark Imperium.

Any plans on how to close the gap?