Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EconOutlines posted:

I'm so glad I caught up in the 65 post backlog I had for this thread.

I know, right?

EconOutlines posted:

Jet Black Apple Case with tempered glass screen protector for the win.

....oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Guy asked for a cheap case that could take a hard spill. Those thin hard plastic cases won't be as good as any TPU for actually protecting the phone. You also can get TPU ones that aren't very sticky in your pocket (I just got a $7 one like that for an SE but can't recommend it because the power button is hard as hell to press), though they'll stick more than with no case or plastic case.

So what about the ones that are TPU wrapped in plastic? I wasn't aware TPU by itself would be enough.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So what about the ones that are TPU wrapped in plastic? I wasn't aware TPU by itself would be enough.

Plastic stops punctures, tpu handles impacts.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Afaik, it'll just be better at absorbing impact because the TPU has some give to it. If it's got another layer of plastic, that shouldn't change, so that might give the best of both. Then it's just whether it's getting bulkier than you want. I also don't really know much about it, just that I've always used either a cheap TPU or cheap hard plastic case for my phones and wanted them to be minimal rather than the crazy OtterBox style bulk. The hard plastic (that I've used, anyway) tend to be thinner which is nice, but I only really trust them to protect the back of the phone from scratches, whereas the TPU at least seems better when it comes to dropping the phone on a corner or that kind of thing.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It's mainly to resell almost 'as-new' come upgrade time or a little prior to. People that purchase Apple products are extremely anal about inspecting them in my experience.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TPU is plastic :confused:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Dev beta 4/public beta 3 of iOS11 is out and adds in swipe to clear notifications and long swipe to clear, which is such a basic feature that I wondered why it was missing from the last beta.

Honestly though, the lack of that was one of the only downsides of the last beta, and now it’s fixed so it’s a non-issue. I haven’t had any springboard crashes and the majority of my apps have been working exactly the same as they do on any GM version.

If you wanna try out this beta, I really don’t have anything bad to say about it except the battery life can suck so keep a charge pack handy/stay near outlets if you can.

I generally agree. On my iPad Air 2, however, it's pretty slow/laggy. So far, this iPad has been a beast at handling major iOS updates. It's finally starting to show it's age :( Hopefully they can clean some of the lagginess up prior to the GM.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

TPU is plastic :confused:

We're talking about hard rigid plastic vs TPU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Never had a screen protector because gently caress that poo poo, but now have a matte one simply because of how it feels when scrolling etc.

It's really smooth instead of my finger sometimes having too much friction on the glass. So I'm basically using it for that, not protection.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Never had a screen protector because gently caress that poo poo, but now have a matte one simply because of how it feels when scrolling etc.

It's really smooth instead of my finger sometimes having too much friction on the glass. So I'm basically using it for that, not protection.

"Why are there condoms in your bag, Johnny? Are you having PRE-MARITAL SEX?"
"No, mom, I just like the way they feel! I swear!"

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Binary Badger posted:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/07/26/new-cochlear-hearing-implant-tech-will-stream-directly-from-iphones-other-apple-devices

Oh goody I am old so I can throw all my garbage Bluetooth headsets into the garbage once this is out on the market

Guess I have to ram my head against the wall three times to reset it if I get a new iPhone. :v: :bang:

I hope this works better than their current bluetooth solution where you have to charge an extra dongle to get BT functionality with your CI sound processor. If you so much as look at it wrong, it'll lose connection. I wonder if the sound processor is gonna act like a full fledged headset now.

Though personally I'm more stoked about the possibility of an iPhone acting as a CI remote. That's gonna own hard but my health insurance provider is gonna hate me when I apply for yet another CI upgrade. :v:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

EconOutlines posted:

It's mainly to resell almost 'as-new' come upgrade time or a little prior to. People that purchase Apple products are extremely anal about inspecting them in my experience.

oh

I have a jet black 7+ and a typical Apple leather case has protected it in mint condition. I don't think a screen protector is required.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 27, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

My 2 month old 7 plus dropped and screen has a hundred cracks, first time ive ever cracked a screen.

Local third party shops are charging $100-$120 and Apple is charging $150.

That price gap has me on the fence. Should I try to save a few bucks? Or play it safe and avoid potential bullshit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ChocNitty posted:

My 2 month old 7 plus dropped and screen has a hundred cracks, first time ive ever cracked a screen.

That price gap has me on the fence. Should I try to save a few bucks? Or play it safe and avoid potential bullshit.

Fruit stand.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ChocNitty posted:

30 bucks more for an official OEM screen? That's an easy call.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Jose Oquendo posted:

30 bucks more for an official OEM screen? That's an easy call.

30 bucks is a no brainer, seeing as Apple will deny you any warranty claims and blacklist your phone as soon as they see you have aftermarket parts.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

ChocNitty posted:

Frank Dillinger posted:

30 bucks is a no brainer, seeing as Apple will deny you any warranty claims and blacklist your phone as soon as they see you have aftermarket parts.

The only reason to use a 3rd party shop is if you're already beyond warranty and AppleCare coverage. Or if you live in a country where Apple stores aren't popular or easily accessible.

Otherwise, if it's under warranty/AppleCare, use the fruit stand.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Frank Dillinger posted:

I think they just started making exceptions for third party screen repairs, but there's also the risk that the third party service could screw something else up and you'd be hosed on that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
take it to da fruit stand! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I still think we should find whomever coined the term 'Fruit Stand' and.. award them a Darwin prize or something? Or give them a very bad gang tag saying "I COINED THE PHRASE FRUIT STAND"

Anyways, since the iPod megathread is closed:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-kills-off-ipod-nano-ipod-shuffle-2017-7

Yep, Apple finally gone done and killed its lowest end music players. Only player Apple sells now is the 32 / 128 GB iPod Touch 6th Generations for $199 and $299 respectively.

iPod Touch is still the iPhone 6 without the phone part, A8 based, Wi-Fi only and no NFC hardware. Sigh.

(got to believe they might have a new model waiting? It's only been, what, two whole years since the last refresh..)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Holy poo poo I just found out that Apple Maps works on the lock screen. Literal game changer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

(got to believe they might have a new model waiting? It's only been, what, two whole years since the last refresh..)

Does anyone still use standalone music players? Seems like the market for those would be miniscule these days.

Also: Public beta 3 makes opening notifications from the lock screen much more straightforward. Hurray.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I expect the market for iPods consists of kids too young to have a phone and developers too cheap to buy test phones.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I use a waterproof ipod shuffle for swimming.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am an old that just last year bought a ipod touch 128gb to keep in my car, replacing a 2007 era ipod classic. :colbert:

I also keep a shuffle around for mowing the lawn. Get off my lawn !

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I get wireless is the future but I loving love my first gen iPod nano with the built-in clip and touch screen. Perfect for its intentions

Then they got bigger, silly, and more expensive

I remember jailbreaking my first iPod touch. It was required if you wanted to change the icon organization on your screen. Also remember when apple charged $20 for all their base apps if it wasn't the iPhone? I think they back peddled but lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get wireless is the future but I loving love my first gen iPod nano with the built-in clip and touch screen. Perfect for its intentions

Then they got bigger, silly, and more expensive

That's the fourth gen but yeah it was dope

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I bet they're gonna roll out a version with built in AirPods.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh lol whoops

Well it was a one gen thing

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ChocNitty posted:

Just to provide a little more info, the clone iPhone 7 screens absolutely suck right now. My store winds up doing a ton of warranty exchanges on them, and even at their best, the color balance on the screen isn't very good. I actually try to encourage customers to go to Apple instead, but some people just really, really hate going there.

Oh, and the water resistance seal gets broken and not replaced if anyone but Apple opens your phone, so there's that too.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I remember jailbreaking my first iPod touch. It was required if you wanted to change the icon organization on your screen. Also remember when apple charged $20 for all their base apps if it wasn't the iPhone? I think they back peddled but lol
It was $10 for an OS upgrade, the reason given was that accounting law, Sarbane Oxley or something like that.

Also the first Touch came out a few months before the App Store existed, so jailbreak and Cydia was the only way to get apps.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It was $10 for an OS upgrade, the reason given was that accounting law, Sarbane Oxley or something like that.

I always thought this was bullshit. They allegedly couldn't enable new features on the device without charging for them, but somehow Microsoft was able to add games and audiobooks and poo poo to the Zune for free?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also the first Touch came out a few months before the App Store existed, so jailbreak and Cydia was the only way to get apps.

drat we've come far

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for the advice on cases. I ended up ignoring it, though. I found a guy on Craigslist selling a used OtterBox Defender from his old 5S for $4. It might be too bulky, but it's also $4. I might not like the screen protector, but that can be removed easily.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a workaround to make a shared note from Notes.app viewable on an Android phone? You can see it through iCloud.com on a Windows PC but visiting it on their mobile just tells them to use an Apple device or a desktop computer, which is kinda trash.

I really want to make more of a full switch to Apple's services but all their webapps (calendar, documents, spreadsheets, etc.) are way worse than Google's and stuff like Maps isn't even accessible unless you're using their hardware.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Do any of the browsers have an option to force desktop view? That used to work on Safari iOS but it was quite janky and really only useful in an emergency.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do any of the browsers have an option to force desktop view? That used to work on Safari iOS but it was quite janky and really only useful in an emergency.

I don't know a way to force it as default, but you can request the desktop version pretty quickly in Chrome.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Long press on the refresh button to get the option in safari. It's not a setting that sticks though It's just site to site for that session I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry I should've made it clearer I was responding to the dude above with the Android query.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I completely shattered my screen. I don't have Apple Care or any insurance it'll cost around 130 for Apple to fix it. I dropped it on the toilet 6 or 7 months ago and the finger print stuff stopped working. If I send it back to Apple will they hold of hostage until I pay to have that fixed too? Hard to type can't see much of screen. Tia pals