Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HIJK posted:

wtf is happening to Marvel comics

Well, not what you quoted. I'm not sure what that guy is reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

It was someone's speculation that he took as gospel despite the guy saying it was speculation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

X-O posted:

he and several other people are reading someone's prediction as what's actually happening in secret war right now

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's ending leads to the Vanishing Point/Generations stuff. They aren't going to bother with anything Ultimate Universe.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
E&C's Punisher criticism is right on.

Another thing that has been bothering me is: What's up with Sharon Carter? Wasn't she supposed to be a Hydra, or at least Zemo, mole? Did that get resolved?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

What's up with Sharon Carter? Wasn't she supposed to be a Hydra, or at least Zemo, mole? Did that get resolved?

She's a regular good guy SHIELD agent who Steve's kept around him un-arrested/executed.
She didn't escape, but did just try to stab him in the neck with a piece of wood after the Black Widow thing.

edit: I've only been reading the main series, so if she's spying for the resistance or something in other comics, I dunno.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 27, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

More BC Avengers

Man I am really not feeling this whole thing. It reminds me of those variant TMNT figures they started putting out when they ran out of ideas.

I mean Aaron's a good writer, but the premise does nothing for me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea having prehistoric avengers is just kinda lame to me

I'm prepared to be proven wrong but can't say I'm enthusiastic to buy that book

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Man I am really not feeling this whole thing. It reminds me of those variant TMNT figures they started putting out when they ran out of ideas.

I mean Aaron's a good writer, but the premise does nothing for me.

All of those are great though?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
They still need to show the 1,000,000 B.C. Ghost Rider, and that is very, very exciting.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Teenage Fansub posted:

She's a regular good guy SHIELD agent who Steve's kept around him un-arrested/executed.
She didn't escape, but did just try to stab him in the neck with a piece of wood after the Black Widow thing.

edit: I've only been reading the main series, so if she's spying for the resistance or something in other comics, I dunno.

I don't think she's doing anything other than being a prisoner.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

What's up with the Ultimate Cap speculation? He died Randy Quaid'ing Galactus. Or does the Ultimate Universe's resurrection not mean anything for it's continuity. I did not read Secret War

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I did not read Secret War

You really gotta change that! I really liked Secret War and I was one that had know clue WTF was going on with Marvel at the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What's up with the Ultimate Cap speculation? He died Randy Quaid'ing Galactus. Or does the Ultimate Universe's resurrection not mean anything for it's continuity. I did not read Secret War

The speculation is coming from Ultimates 2 where The Maker just brought the Ultimate universe’s Ultimates back to existence but they’re obviously just copies and not the actual Ultimates, I’m guessing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

While it would be a hilarious undercutting of the premise of Legacy to have Steve Rogers be the Ultimates version...I am more than reasonably confident they ain't doing that

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why are people spoilering terrible speculation?

Ultimate Cap is not going to replace Hydra Cap.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
But we can all agree that it is a really good idea and Spencer will totally stick the landing if he did it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

X-O posted:

tbf replacing Nazi Cap with shouty homophobic Cap sounds like something that would come out of the Secret Empire brain trust

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Between Secret Empire and Gwenpool it really sucks to be Miles Morales.

Also lol at Falcon's totally unearned triumphant return.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HIJK posted:

tbf replacing Nazi Cap with shouty homophobic Cap sounds like something that would come out of the Secret Empire brain trust

if they'd done it the other way around and had hydra cap be the ultimate version, that would actually work a lot better than what's happening. it'd also distance real cap from the whole nazi thing

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

if they'd done it the other way around and had hydra cap be the ultimate version, that would actually work a lot better than what's happening. it'd also distance real cap from the whole nazi thing

What if Ultimate Cap has been in the place of our Cap ever since Secret Wars? And Dream Cap is really our Cap trying to find his way back?

:thunk:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TheHan posted:

Also lol at Falcon's totally unearned triumphant return.
See if you had read the (final) issue of Captain America: Sam Wilson this week, you'd know what happened is that Misty Knight neck-rolled and sassed Sam so hard about being a weak rear end snowflake beta cuck bitch that he knew he had to nut up or shut up and inspire all these people.

And then New Patriot called him a dummy for not representing all the suffering Americans just because America is a racist shithole full of fascists, maybe it was always a racist shithole full of fascists, both sides are bad, both sides do it, but he's got to stand up for the downtrodden.

See? Totally earned!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Alls i know is that the prediction people made since like a month before this even started will be true. Hydra cap will slowly break down from being too evil and good cap's spirit will take over to redeem him. Like exactly what Rick Jones said in his video message.

It's just funny how simultaneously boring and edgy this is being.

Sidenote: I think hydra punisher wasn't talking about bringing his family back, but bringing back all the heroes that hydra killed. Like they get to take over the world, kill heroes, then use the cosmic cube to resurrect them so it's like hydra did nothing wrong. Again it's dumb and boring, but it at least gets halfway to interesting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Billzasilver posted:

Alls i know is that the prediction people made since like a month before this even started will be true. Hydra cap will slowly break down from being too evil and good cap's spirit will take over to redeem him. Like exactly what Rick Jones said in his video message.

It's just funny how simultaneously boring and edgy this is being.

Sidenote: I think hydra punisher wasn't talking about bringing his family back, but bringing back all the heroes that hydra killed. Like they get to take over the world, kill heroes, then use the cosmic cube to resurrect them so it's like hydra did nothing wrong. Again it's dumb and boring, but it at least gets halfway to interesting.

So he was going to Hal Jordan as Parallax before the dumb retcon's them? Except Hal had that power in his hands and had visibly demonstrated he could do it before promising something like that?

Also E&C is completely right that this isn't Frank Castle. I think a lot of people are letting themselves justify that this one is okay because "Oh the murder vigilante joined up with the Nazi's, that makes sense." No it really doesn't. Hunting down and killing people as a government stooge while simultaneously ignoring the mass of criminals who work under the Cap Regime is loving blindingly dumb.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Onmi posted:

So he was going to Hal Jordan as Parallax before the dumb retcon's them? Except Hal had that power in his hands and had visibly demonstrated he could do it before promising something like that?

Also E&C is completely right that this isn't Frank Castle. I think a lot of people are letting themselves justify that this one is okay because "Oh the murder vigilante joined up with the Nazi's, that makes sense." No it really doesn't. Hunting down and killing people as a government stooge while simultaneously ignoring the mass of criminals who work under the Cap Regime is loving blindingly dumb.
It may be wrong for the Punisher as a particular character, but I got the feeling the vibe for people going "that makes sense" was about the Punisher as perceived being hand-in-glove with Steve von Rogers and the Proud Boys.

I feel like you could actually do some interesting Punisher stories where the Punisher has to deal with people who idolize him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Nessus posted:

I feel like you could actually do some interesting Punisher stories where the Punisher has to deal with people who idolize him.
That's been a secondary or primary plotpoint in nearly every Punisher run of the past 10-15 years, and was the backbone of the big "Suicide Run" crossover the Punisher books had in the mid-1990s.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Onmi posted:

I think people are projecting on Punisher based on what a lot irl shithead cops, soldiers, and assholes in general do in emblazoning their cars and guns with Punisher logos.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Edge & Christian posted:

See if you had read the (final) issue of Captain America: Sam Wilson this week, you'd know what happened is that Misty Knight neck-rolled and sassed Sam so hard about being a weak rear end snowflake beta cuck bitch that he knew he had to nut up or shut up and inspire all these people.

And then New Patriot called him a dummy for not representing all the suffering Americans just because America is a racist shithole full of fascists, maybe it was always a racist shithole full of fascists, both sides are bad, both sides do it, but he's got to stand up for the downtrodden.

See? Totally earned!

See I thought he might be up to something plot relevant in his own book this week. Glad they saved all that self-actualization and pathos badgering and name-calling for the supplementary material so it didn't get in the way of smash the action figures together using the action figures as a mouthpiece to flex those two semesters of sociology classes on your readers.

Joking aside, why do big events so often put vital story beats in the supplementary material? I feel like that would convince most people to just wait for the trade, and I was lead to believe that waiting for the trade is one of the things hurting the comics industry.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

achillesforever6 posted:

I think people are projecting on Punisher based on what a lot irl shithead cops, soldiers, and assholes in general do in emblazoning their cars and guns with Punisher logos.

I didn't even get to say it, but I think Spencer is characterizing Punisher based off of those thin-blue-line stickers and flags I see popping up on duelies everywhere, and not really anything else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

X-O posted:

Yeah, I didn't read the post right. My bad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TheHan posted:

See I thought he might be up to something plot relevant in his own book this week. Glad they saved all that self-actualization and pathos badgering and name-calling for the supplementary material so it didn't get in the way of smash the action figures together using the action figures as a mouthpiece to flex those two semesters of sociology classes on your readers.

Joking aside, why do big events so often put vital story beats in the supplementary material? I feel like that would convince most people to just wait for the trade, and I was lead to believe that waiting for the trade is one of the things hurting the comics industry.

Event writers often flesh out story beats in the tie ins they write. Bendis did it all the time with his Avengers books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Nessus posted:

It may be wrong for the Punisher as a particular character, but I got the feeling the vibe for people going "that makes sense" was about the Punisher as perceived being hand-in-glove with Steve von Rogers and the Proud Boys.

Seems like the Punisher story should have been Frank dealing with someone who idolised the Punisher and then joined up with HYDRogers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Event writers often flesh out story beats in the tie ins they write. Bendis did it all the time with his Avengers books.

See also infinity

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Spencer just got confused and thought he was writing 2099 Punisher instead.

Edge & Christian posted:

That's been a secondary or primary plotpoint in nearly every Punisher run of the past 10-15 years, and was the backbone of the big "Suicide Run" crossover the Punisher books had in the mid-1990s.

Hell, Circle of Blood had him agreeing to do vigilantism for a group, then going 'wait, gently caress that' when he discovered they were gonna be running a team of Punishers and 'wait, double gently caress that' when he learned they'd be recruiting from criminals too. Frank has basically been opposed to anyone Punishering but him since he first started out. Rucka's run with Cole-Alves is the biggest exception and even that works in him seeing someone with what he thinks might be compatible trauma then realizes isn't (because no one can be the Punisher but Frank Castle because Frank Castle isn't a real person who can do things like miss or make a bad shoot).

But hey I guess the promise of getting his family brought back, the exact thing he killed Micro, his oldest ally, for giving into, is enough to flip that! Or whatever. Comics are dumb, read what you like and ignore the rest, you'll be saner that way.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 28, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/alexdnz/status/890927906494574592

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Annual events when well done are good. Like Infinity.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Marvel fans: STOP MAKING EVENTS

Marvel fans: Also I mean events will sell better than series that "don't matter".

Marvel: Uhhhh so everything is an event now?

Marvel fans: NOOOOOOOOOOO

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gatts posted:

Annual events when well done are good. Like Infinity.

But their never consistent enough to justify the annual part. Make them semi-annual. Gives the comics more time to do their own thing and establish a status-quo, and gives more time to creatively polish the event stories.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Biannual. Semiannual is literally the opposite of what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
With how delayed the past several big summer events have been, we're in Event Mode like 6-7 months out of the year, if you count the Prelude/Road to… stuff. That doesn't even factor in the smaller things like Standoff.

I doubt it would be as big of an issue if it weren't happening All The Time.

• Locked thread