Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

tfw u notice balthier's assless ashley riot chaps

I came here just to post about Ashley Riot's BDSM cargo shorts armor

Those elbowpads. Mmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its weird that all the viera dress like that because they didn't in FFTA and they looked cool in that game

the sniper outfit is one of my favorites in the game

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

precision posted:

I just got to the village but do any of the games explain why they're all playboy bunnies, do they lay eggs?

Canon says there are male Viera, but for unexplained reasons their society is strictly divided by gender.

Countblanc posted:

its weird that all the viera dress like that because they didn't in FFTA and they looked cool in that game

the sniper outfit is one of my favorites in the game
Man I forgot how good most of the outfits were in that game.

Edit: If we're talking ridiculous outfits can we talk about Vaan's older brother? IIRC his outfit was basically an armored sports bra, hot pants and leggings.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 27, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

I guess I never thought of Ashe's skirt as being so short because her boots are so high

absolute domain brah

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

*nods sagely*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Help Im Alive posted:

Let's pray XV-2 is an Aranea/Lunafreya/Iris/Gentiana roadtrip

e: I guess Cindy would make more sense than Gentiana because I can't remember what she does except appear in photos sometimes

No, because those characters are terrible.

You'd need to invent wholly new characters. Like, Lunafreya is such a cardboard cutout of where a character should go its insane. Her name is basically <Female Interest>

The XV world and story are an unmitigated disaster.

The thing to take from XV is the engine, not the world. DO NOT make XV-2, please sweet jesus. Just make XVI and make it good. The whole world of XV needs to be cut.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol what are you on about

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Her name is actually Moon Lady, i'll have you know

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaphod42 posted:

No, because those characters are terrible.

You'd need to invent wholly new characters. Like, Lunafreya is such a cardboard cutout of where a character should go its insane. Her name is basically <Female Interest>

The XV world and story are an unmitigated disaster.

The thing to take from XV is the engine, not the world. DO NOT make XV-2, please sweet jesus. Just make XVI and make it good. The whole world of XV needs to be cut.

iris is cool

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, people like Iris and Aranea plenty, even if their characterization is a little thin. And the biggest complaint about Luna is her lack of presence. These are things that the idea would theoretically fix. Of course, I'm not saying a theoretical sequel/spinoff will or should be about these things, because it will not and should not, but the world and story are fine (except where they're not).

You're tilting at windmills here, buddy.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I really don't think they could do a sequel period. Maybe a midquel between chapter 13 and 14 but a sequel I have no idea where they could go.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

delita was a prick but i also really like delita as a character yeah. it's like if emperor barbarosa from suikoden was much more fleshed-out, same kinda sympathetic bastard. my favorite character is still zidane, though. it's the worldview i'd hold and the way i'd want to treat other people, but i'm not so it's just like an ideal

well ~b the change u want 2 c in the world~ etc.

Zidane is easily my favorite FF protagonist for exactly that reason. He's such an admirable little scamp.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There is nothing inherently bad about the setting and characters of ff15, they're just under-developed and poorly presented, like most other aspects of the game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ROFL Octopus posted:

I really don't think they could do a sequel period. Maybe a midquel between chapter 13 and 14 but a sequel I have no idea where they could go.

Yeah, this too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ROFL Octopus posted:

well there was nowhere they could go from 13 lol

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

:swoon: FFTA2's Viera are flawless

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cephas posted:

:swoon: FFTA2's Viera are flawless

Yeah, too bad about the Sora-rear end protagonists in both games. Guh

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

Vivi is probably the single best character in any FF game, real talk.

From a character development or damage dealing side? Character development he's probably in the top 5. Damage dealing wise, not so much. His syncing with Steiner was cool, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sora is cool

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

precision posted:

I guess I never thought of Ashe's skirt as being so short because her boots are so high

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

seiferguy posted:

From a character development or damage dealing side? Character development he's probably in the top 5. Damage dealing wise, not so much. His syncing with Steiner was cool, though.

The strongest character in the Final Fantasy universe is Selphie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfCEGx8HeYc&t=58s

I love that The End works on Omega Weapon/Ultimecia

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Help Im Alive posted:

The strongest character in the Final Fantasy universe is Selphie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfCEGx8HeYc&t=58s

I love that The End works on Omega Weapon/Ultimecia

Yojimbo my man

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Luso is good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My problem with Ashe is her official artwork has her striking the most undignified pose. A fictional character can rock any getup IMO but for a vengeance-fueled monarch, her picture makes her look so weak.

@ FFIX Talk

I really think FFIX's "slowness" is exaggerated. Believe me, before I replayed the game a couple times in recen tyears, I too had a vague memory of it being slow and tedious about everything. I remember even preferring FFVIII's combat. But an older and vaguely wiser me sees the situation is quite the opposite.

As for Vivi, he's a pretty good character but I never fell in love with him like others. My favorite character from IX was always Kuja. He's pretty much the most perfect villain I've seen in an FF game in just how detailed everything about him is. (and speaking of thong talk...)

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Luso was annoying but Marche was a pretty interesting example of the hero spending the entire game being an rear end in a top hat and the game still treating it as though he was in the right.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NikkolasKing posted:

My problem with Ashe is her official artwork has her striking the most undignified pose. A fictional character can rock any getup IMO but for a vengeance-fueled monarch, her picture makes her look so weak.

It looks like she was caught picking her nose and is trying to play it off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, people talk about Vaan and Penelo being "put in last minute" but FF12 seemed like early signs of developers not talking to the other parts of the team. Ashe was not anything like the promo pre-release coverage showed of Ashe back in Vanilla's release period.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Luso was annoying but Marche was a pretty interesting example of the hero spending the entire game being an rear end in a top hat and the game still treating it as though he was in the right.

Luso is a good dude and cool friend who is excited to explore fantasy land even if he wants to figure out how to get home.

FFTA2 is a pretty light-hearted and simple story so having the protagonist just be a cheerful and positive guy who never really gets too down about his situation and helps keep other characters from angsting too much or getting too negative works well for the type of game it is. He's alright.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just thought their clothes looked dumb

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh. Yeah, that is true.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

InequalityGodzilla posted:

cause he was, hth

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry just one more thought on FFVI.

The Figaro brothers were written by Soraya Saga, who I know because I'm a huge Xenogears and Xenosaga fanboy. She's quite talented in my opinion and I enjoyed the backstory we see for the two of them.

However, everything to do with Sabin's introduction is a goddam mess. So this is Vargas. Who are you? Sabin's training buddy who killed their master/his father? Okay....

Duncan's Wife: My husband is living out in a hut somewhere. What? Why did you think he was dead?

I have no idea why we thought that. Sabin just says it and we have no idea why he thinks it. This entire thing is not even backstory, it's a weird blurb of text that is forgotten immediately.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

@ FFIX Talk

I really think FFIX's "slowness" is exaggerated. Believe me, before I replayed the game a couple times in recen tyears, I too had a vague memory of it being slow and tedious about everything. I remember even preferring FFVIII's combat. But an older and vaguely wiser me sees the situation is quite the opposite.

As for Vivi, he's a pretty good character but I never fell in love with him like others. My favorite character from IX was always Kuja. He's pretty much the most perfect villain I've seen in an FF game in just how detailed everything about him is. (and speaking of thong talk...)

I agree about FFIX's slowness--I never felt like it was really that bad. And even though the combat pace is slower than the other PS1 FF games, I felt like the overall gameplay pace was comparable, maybe because it was a four-person party so I was still choosing actions pretty often despite the slow pace.

I also love Kuja as a villain. I was prepared to really dislike him when he first showed up, but he really won me over by the end. His whole motivation was really compelling, especially compared to Zidane's development.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What are the best ffvi game changing mods? Just go with BNW?

beergod fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 28, 2017

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The day they port that ff9 version to PS4 is the day I finally play it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

seiferguy posted:

once you get auto-reflect, vivi is easily one of the most powerful characters in the entire game (especially in terms of time::damage ratio i'm looking at you ark) barring voodoo math poo poo like dragon's crest and thievery. if you bounce bio off your entire party, you'll probably do 9999 if they all hit the same target. if you have reflect x2 equipped, you'll probably do 9999 to every target. plus, ff9 doesn't classify poison as an element, so it's non-elemental! and it's such a cheap spell! it's like flare, except it costs what 15MP instead of 60, it takes a quarter of the time to animate, and also sometimes it hits more than one enemy.

even in battle, he's fantastic.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 28, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the worst part about ffta2 is that changing the story character's jobs doesn't change their outfits

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Countblanc posted:

the worst part about ffta2 is that changing the story character's jobs doesn't change their outfits

No FFT game is immune to this, though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Alxprit posted:

No FFT game is immune to this, though.

I mean they spent so much time designing Mewt and Luso's disguise man, gotta show that off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I underestimated Judge Ghis because I remember there was a Crystal before the fight (there was not), so I had to dip into my storage of Hi-Potions and Ethers. Used Reflectga Mote on him and he practically killed himself.

FFIX would be fixed by having a Job sy- no wait. The game is irredeemable