Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carecat posted:

And cultural marxists?

What the gently caress does that even mean.
Cultural Marxism was part of an actual school of thought in the 50s/60s, which basically said that the reason that the industrialized countries of the world hadn't rebelled and implemented a dictatorship of the proletariat like Marx predicted is that their workers were being kept docile and disinterested by decadent capitalist media and culture.

Often this was just an excuse for :corsair: trad Marxists to grump about rock and roll music or sit coms or whatever was new that they didn't like, but it did lay down the foundations for critical theory.

Nowadays it means that the person saying it is probably an alt-right fuckwit, but it's p. funny that people like PJW blame cultural marxism for degenerate television when actual Cultural Marxists were saying the exact same thing about TV in the 60s.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

JVNO posted:

I don't doubt whatsoever this is the case, just that we're kidding ourselves if we think the average person parroting that line is saying anything other than, 'I don't like thing.'

But what and why they don't like is influenced just like their word choice

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Holy poo poo, that avatar. Surely this thread attracts people who worry about virtue signaling.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 27, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Holy poo poo, that avatar. Surely this thread attracts people who worry about virtue signaling.

Oh, I got that this morning from mad Trump supporters in GBS. I like it a hell of a lot more than my last one.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Virtue signalling is just the dumbest loving buzzword. I mean, the act of accusing people of virtue signalling is itself virtue signalling (to everybody that you're the type of person to accuse people of virtue signalling).

Conversation is all about the conveyance of ideas and values. So it's entirely arbitrary when they accuse on person of 'ethical chest thumping' while pretending they're just cold and logical.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It did originally have a meaning among activists, saying things that signal you're a good person without actually having to do anything, talking the talk but not walking the walk (in the original sense of the term).

Like "isn't it so awful what's happening in X" without ever having done or planning to do anything about it, "I could never be friends with a racist" without confronting your friends' subtle racisms, or any other indication that you're tolerant and open-minded without requiring investment. It's Phil Ochs' Love Me I'm A Liberal for written discourse.

Of course, everything that the alt-right touches that hasn't been solidly cemented in the mainstream turns to poo poo.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Probably similar to the origins of 'politically correct' and even 'social justice warrior'.

Co-opted by people unburdened by the nuance of the original meaning.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

It did originally have a meaning among activists, saying things that signal you're a good person without actually having to do anything, talking the talk but not walking the walk (in the original sense of the term).

Like "isn't it so awful what's happening in X" without ever having done or planning to do anything about it, "I could never be friends with a racist" without confronting your friends' subtle racisms, or any other indication that you're tolerant and open-minded without requiring investment. It's Phil Ochs' Love Me I'm A Liberal for written discourse.

Of course, everything that the alt-right touches that hasn't been solidly cemented in the mainstream turns to poo poo.

There is not going to be any great words that will stand the test of time because someone will overuse it and ruin it for the rest of us.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 27, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Virtue signalling was basically a sociology term for the stuff the Bible rants about the Pharisees doing.

Midig posted:

There is not going to be any great words that will stand the test of time because someone will overuse it and ruin it for the rest of us.

"Motherfucker" will reign eternal.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Goon Danton posted:

"Motherfucker" will reign eternal.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure most people who get called motherfucker don't actually gently caress their mothers.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Who What Now posted:

I dunno, I'm pretty sure most people who get called motherfucker don't actually gently caress their mothers.

Part of the charm.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
...Wait, "manosphere"?

googles

:stare:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

...Wait, "manosphere"?

googles

:stare:

You should have held on to that innocence.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JVNO posted:

Virtue signalling is just the dumbest loving buzzword. I mean, the act of accusing people of virtue signalling is itself virtue signalling (to everybody that you're the type of person to accuse people of virtue signalling).

Conversation is all about the conveyance of ideas and values. So it's entirely arbitrary when they accuse on person of 'ethical chest thumping' while pretending they're just cold and logical.

The thing about virtue signalling as a concept (in the way it's used by the alt-right anyways) is that it technically exists in the sense of "someone expressing virtuous views in order to look good to others" is obviously a thing, but 1. it's difficult, if not impossible, to prove and 2. it's only really harmful if it exists concurrent with some form of hypocrisy (i.e. someone talking about how bad racism is while doing racist things). And in the latter case the hypocrisy is the problem more so than the virtue signalling, so there's not much point to attacking the issue from that angle.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Goon Danton posted:

Virtue signalling was basically a sociology term for the stuff the Bible rants about the Pharisees doing.

If I'm not mistaken it was invented to describe people who espouse leftist views in public but vote Tory every time.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Somfin posted:

If I'm not mistaken it was invented to describe people who espouse leftist views in public but vote Tory every time.

I'm pretty sure that's mixed up, where it's people who do the bare minimum like vote labor, and do nothing else politically active ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The manosphere is what you get when spherical mans get together.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

They clearly hosed up by not calling it the brorb.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sax Solo posted:

The man-serierb!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sax Solo posted:

:orb:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I thought that was what Alex Jones broadcasts his radio show out of: his impenetrable underground manoshpere.

It sounds like a next-level mancave. The ManosphereTM. I want a manosphere :(

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Donald Trump going to church is virtue signalling

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pembroke Fuse posted:

PittsburghLambic is a particularly obnoxious poster (with a turtle avatar) who spends a lot of time JAQing off in this thread. If you're not him, then you have my apologies for the confusion.

And to explain what folks were jumpin' on fallenturtle for, when I asked PL what kind of speech he would define as racist (since up until that point he'd just been pleading for South Park truth-is-in-the-middle "well is it really racism to say that black people are inherently more criminal?" noncommittalism), he whined that we'd definitely be able to find Sargon saying that exact thing he'd be hesitant to define something that thread regulars like to use as a devastating trump-card insult. E: And then bailed when the thread pointed out that this was some total coward poo poo.

Because that's what "racist" is, an insult, rather than an accurate description of 40% of Sargon's content.

Somfin fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 28, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So did this whole conversation occur before or after PDP made a whole video about how the wage gap is a myth because "women choose to take lower paying jobs"? He might not be Hitler but he is at best an Eichmann.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I do not want to watch this man's content, but the title makes me think the video's an "ironic" thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Anti-Citizen posted:

I'm pretty sure that's mixed up, where it's people who do the bare minimum like vote labor, and do nothing else politically active ever.

so it was an idiotic term to make oneself feel superior to all those other stupid normie voters?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Does the Partido Nacional Renovador have an MRA branch, and if so is it called the Portuguese man o' sphere?

ulvir posted:

so it was an idiotic term to make oneself feel superior to all those other stupid normie voters?
No, it started as a term for people that talk a big game about how tolerant and open-minded they are to their activist friends, but didn't follow it up in their actions, then turned into something that activists accused other activists of for not being active enough, and now it means the same as 'beta cuck cultural marxist', that the person saying it is a garbage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

toanoradian posted:

I do not want to watch this man's content, but the title makes me think the video's an "ironic" thing

Ironic in the sense that the 4chan Pepe squad are "ironic" fascists, yeah absolutely.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

No, it started as a term for people that talk a big game about how tolerant and open-minded they are to their activist friends, but didn't follow it up in their actions, then turned into something that activists accused other activists of for not being active enough, and now it means the same as 'beta cuck cultural marxist', that the person saying it is a garbage.

Another good example was the term white knight. It used to be a great term to use against fedora tippers, now it is just thrown around when people point out sexism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's an example of white knight being used in a non-sexist way? Like just in the generic sense of defending something indefensible in search of praise?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

business hammocks posted:

What's an example of white knight being used in a non-sexist way? Like just in the generic sense of defending something indefensible in search of praise?

The way I see it is not sexist if you use it in a "She can deal with her own problems mate" kind of way. She does not need you to swoop in and save her.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 28, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

toanoradian posted:

It's all irony until it isn't. That line between irony and actual full-throated fascism gets crossed really easily these days. Basically irony is an intellectual dead end.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A lot of it was creeper 'nice guys' defending women in internet arguments and then acting like they're entitled to something after and it was gross. Now it means 'defending women' in general.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

That's a valid use, yeah. Like defending PewDiePie's "Kill All Jews" fiasco as not actually being racist is a good example of non-sexist white knighting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean it's still kinda sexist, but the original version of white knight referred to those creepy stalker dudes women tend to acquire in MMOs. The guys who do the "nice guy" thing where they think doing unasked for favors for women will result in sex, and just generally try to impose themselves on the social group of any woman they come across.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean it's still kinda sexist, but the original version of white knight referred to those creepy stalker dudes women tend to acquire in MMOs. The guys who do the "nice guy" thing where they think doing unasked for favors for women will result in sex, and just generally try to impose themselves on the social group of any woman they come across.

Back in the days of Star Wars Galaxies, I made a hot female Twi'lek character and some random dude just straight up gave me a full set of armor for nothing. poo poo was hilarious.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Guavanaut posted:

Does the Partido Nacional Renovador have an MRA branch, and if so is it called the Portuguese man o' sphere?

Makes me think of this article I just read about the woke misogynist.
http://splinternews.com/meet-the-woke-misogynist-1793859082

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Who What Now posted:

That's a valid use, yeah. Like defending PewDiePie's "Kill All Jews" fiasco as not actually being racist is a good example of non-sexist white knighting.

Actually my intention was to totally get in PewDiePie's pants.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
I call my balls the man-o-spheres. They're also unloved. :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I call my balls the man-o-spheres. They're also unloved. :dadjoke:

You should always work on loving yourself before others.

• Locked thread