Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Tonetta posted:

If you want to improve your shootmans skill you gotta actually shoot mans

Shoot mans has got to be the worst recurring phrase I see on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HARUMPH

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fletcher posted:

Shoot mans has got to be the worst recurring phrase I see on SA

Okay forums grandpa, sorry bout the catchphrases.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Here is one trick to getting better at this game: if you hear gunfire, run towards it, not away from it. You can thank me later

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Here is one trick to getting better at this game: if you hear gunfire, run towards it, not away from it. You can thank me later

But not directly, strafing a hot area can give a sound indication of where they are, rudimentary triangulation and keeping cover while scout the situation

Question: Has anyone put together a video of "distant gunfire sounds" to review? knowing the difference between an AK and an M4 is not big, but knowing the sniper sounds, and the difference between the M4 and M16 can change the threat range considerably.

Not necessarily for the experienced folks, but to throw the link at bad people.

Also, a great response to "Let's drive toward the gunfire and kill them!"
*makes a buggy-based explosion by driving at a squad and their m249*

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Mistle posted:

But not directly, strafing a hot area can give a sound indication of where they are, rudimentary triangulation and keeping cover while scout the situation

Question: Has anyone put together a video of "distant gunfire sounds" to review? knowing the difference between an AK and an M4 is not big, but knowing the sniper sounds, and the difference between the M4 and M16 can change the threat range considerably.

Not necessarily for the experienced folks, but to throw the link at bad people.

Also, a great response to "Let's drive toward the gunfire and kill them!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHqSyok-3K8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDNBVO4dats

iirc he doesnt do individual gun sounds but still a good range breakdown

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

1 shattered pelvis chicken dinner, coming up!

I would definitely be the guy who died here

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

willroc7 posted:

loving NO. Never.

Prone in the right spots is pretty powerful. I had to apologize to a guy last night because I was yelling "THE GUY IS RIGHT HERE, HE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME KILL HIM!!!" at him after we pushed too far forward and some dick laying in the grass murdered us all. I crawled over and was head butting him trying to point him out to the one guy that was still alive but he couldn't see him.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

MagnumDopus confirmed goon that uses this forum to check facts, but otherwise denies being a goon and doesn't have out. BTW.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is this another Twitch feud?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

VulgarandStupid posted:

MagnumDopus confirmed goon that uses this forum to check facts, but otherwise denies being a goon and doesn't have out. BTW.

Did not accept his credit cards or proofs of employment if he's applying for a mortgage.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqRiFOHHoLk&t=298s
Mad maxin in this game is p good. No need to watch past first collision.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

If you hop on discord and there's a room with 3/4 is it cool to just hop in and group up or should you ask in text chat first? Wasn't sure what goon-protocol was there.

Hop in and say "are you in a game" or "do you need a 4th" unless you hear dudes already talking like they're in one and wait for stuff to settle down enough for someone to tell you how far in they are.

But generally people will say "Need 1/2 in <group>" in chat when they're trying to get dudes together.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Legit a good way to get good, you likely won't win the game like this, but if you never get used to actually shooting people and you only hide out you'll suck when you have to start shooting people and never get that sweet chicken dinner. Deciding whether or not to engage on groups, whether it's ambushing someone trying to loot bodies/crates or getting the drop on two squads duking it out or spraying bullets at a car full of guys, is a really big part of the game and a pretty fundamental part of trying to hide-and-seek your way to victory.

You need to know when to stop hiding, and things like whether you're poorly geared or not and what the risk-reward and opportunity cost are should influence those choices at every stage of the game.

And loving communicate what you want to do and don't act without letting people know ahead of time unless there is a really big payoff that you have to act on immediately(like a car driving past within 20m that you should light up), half the time someone exclaiming "I see a guy!" or "CAR!" is followed by that person's gunshots which 90% of the time is the exact thing you should not be doing, and giving your teammates a chance to respond gives them enough time to tell you that firing at the guy 400m away with your m16 with a holo sight is a bad idea.

Mistle posted:

Poor driving is the most frustrating way to die, I've had a few games where someone diverted to avoid gunfire, but then diverted from every other reasonable place to stop until they just gave up and tried to park in between all of those places.

I'm not sure if that's more or less frustrating than the driver who won't just bring the vehicle to an abrupt stop so we can pile out but has to let the car cruise to a halt parked neatly between all the buildings we want to try and murder dudes in

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Roses are red, violets are blue, friendly_bruce come back from the blue!!!!

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Weird bug where I could see a dude through the walls of a shack, didn't really matter because I was so far away and only had a 4x but it's definitely a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qQU06RBkBw

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

So now the PUBG Community Managers are also banning for stream sniping. Jesus christ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6q0otl/duo_partner_banned_for_7_days_for_stream_sniping/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Maybe you shouldn't stream if you assume whoever kills you is stream sniping?..

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

More like Oblivious_Bruce

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I was watching that stream at the time and summit was getting Extremely tilted that all of the grenades they were throwing hit him. Even though he was in maybe the worst possible house for dodging grenades (those three story houses where every floor is just one room) and he never even left the floor he was on.

And according to the reddit post it wasnt even the guys throwing grenades who got banned, just the guy who killed his duo partner shortly afterward. Not sure they should be banning for stream sniping before they get a replay system set up, if you rely on numbers of reports alone then popular streamers can just get anyone banned.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Stream sniping is funny and should be encouraged.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like running towards gunfire but if I have trouble finding the source right away I:

1: Have just wasted a bunch of time
2: Could be running into an ambush if they're 3rd person peeking me

I still try to be aggressive but with the game being 3rd person I tend to be a little hesitant about being too aggressive.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

yeah

throw some running man into the battle royale

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
How do you even prove stream sniping?

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

How do you even prove stream sniping?

It's pretty much impossible. They banned him without evidence.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

I just don't get why streamers don't delay the stream by a few seconds and just block the minimap

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
the best part was, summit actually had the name of the guy stream sniping (he was in multiple of their games), but blue hole banned someone else entirely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if your stream has enough viewers that mash the report button at the same time, it was stream sniping

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
For the record I think stream sniping is funny

How do they check it? I dont have time to watch streams IRL so I'm not familiar with twitch, but are they looking at the names of their viewer base and cross referencing them against whoever killed them or was killed by them?

Jesus.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Willfrey posted:

For the record I think stream sniping is funny

How do they check it? I dont have time to watch streams IRL so I'm not familiar with twitch, but are they looking at the names of their viewer base and cross referencing them against whoever killed them or was killed by them?

Jesus.

They don't. They just go by a large amount of reports = ban by the sound of it. From a recent interview it sounds like they don't have the ability to spectate players etc yet.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
All streamers are big babies

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Digital Jedi posted:

I just don't get why streamers don't delay the stream by a few seconds and just block the minimap

All streams are delayed.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Banning for stream sniping is a horrible precedent to set. A game company should not punish people for things they do outside of their game because it's impossible to verify anything. If you don't want to be stream sniped, don't stream.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Banning for stream sniping is a horrible precedent to set. A game company should not punish people for things they do outside of their game because it's impossible to verify anything. If you don't want to be stream sniped, don't stream.

Likewise coordinating in solos over discord is totally fine since it is out of game.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Holy gently caress how did that guy know where we were after the 15th grenade explosion? Someone must have peeped the stream!!!!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
:siren: NEW WEAPON :siren:

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/890783008319348736

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Likewise coordinating in solos over discord is totally fine since it is out of game.

It's not fine, it's a rotten thing to do, just like stream sniping. But it's not something the devs should police.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
The duo partner of the guy who got a 7 day ban:

quote:

As the title says my friend (IGN Lotoe) is banned now for allegedly stream sniping shroud. Before, a duo was tossing grenades into the room they were in and ended up killing summit. The dude was saying he loved their stream and whatnot. 2 minutes later my friend encounters shroud and kills him. So they assume Lotoe was stream sniping and his viewers jump straight to reporting him. Really unfair to my friend as he was banned for killing a popular streamer. We didn't even know he was in the game until we noticed the names in the killfeed and thought it was pretty cool, but this is just unacceptable.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Why are crossbow bolts reloaded with the same speed as if they were made of a volatile explosive? takes ages to reload every shot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

So, pretty much another SKS in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Inspector_666 posted:

So, pretty much another SKS in the end.

Pretty sure this will be capable of full auto

• Locked thread