Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Hopper posted:

Non anonymous confession: I like animals and my sister's dog and cat are rad. However, I will never understand people who go through hoops to save their dog/cat or even worse, a stray.

A friend of mine is doing this with a rodent that she's owned for a few months. She's broke to begin with, and I can't fathom how she's spending hundreds of dollars she doesn't have on the little guy. Even has a gofundme, I think. Helps she's a girl, I expect (edgy hot take ahoy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Marmaduke! posted:

A friend of mine is doing this with a rodent that she's owned for a few months. She's broke to begin with, and I can't fathom how she's spending hundreds of dollars she doesn't have on the little guy. Even has a gofundme, I think. Helps she's a girl, I expect (edgy hot take ahoy).

She should do Shadowrun Hong Kong references to boost donations

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Marmaduke! posted:

You know Annie?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I guess lately my mind has really been consumed with embracing my sexuality. I'm a pansexual guy with a strong interest in some BDSM. Also, I'm extremely submissive and I think I would really enjoy being a slave to someone or others. I'm using sites like Tumblr and Fetlife to help me. (I like posting pictures of myself 😉) I just hope I can find an outlet soon because it's starting to get unbearable.

ok good luck I guess

quote:

My girlfriend is smarter than me, and constantly reminds me how forgetful and incompetent I am. She doesn't do it on purpose and loves to dote on me. She's going to med school, and will inheritantly make more money than I will. Her family has accepted me like a 2nd son. her father is someone I can go for life advice, her mother feeds and takes care of me. Her sister treats me like a brother. I've helped her sister through a bad break up. I am the "computer guy," in the house. I feel worthless and unloved.

I can't find a job and we're moving to a university a couple of hours away. If I can't find a job, we'll have to rely on her family for support, her parents have made it clear that they'll support her no matter what, but if I can't keep up then I'm on my own. I'm scared and lonely. My girlfriend and I met when we were 16 on the internet, and have been together for 8 years, we're getting married in 2 once she's 26 for tax reasons. I want to be the tech guy, but I don't even know what it's called, I can't afford the COMPTIA and I've never had any support system of my own.

When I was living on my own (before I moved in with her family,) I was able to make ends meet. I was able to go out and sling, rob, and do whatever was necessary to survive. Now that I'm no longer in that situation my past behaviour appals me. I feel like I have to pay pennance for the 50 or 60 people I've hurt. The trama that they had to have gone through, and it being my fault is something that wracks me with guilt every day.

I never killed anyone. I never would, but people were hurt and it's my fault. I used to think that it was ok, because they had more then me. That because I was poor, and they were rich it was ok to use them to survive, and now I can't reconcile that with the people I live with now. They're not "Rich" but they sure af aren't poor, these people are the kind of people I would hurt everyday and I can't come to terms with that.

Oh and like 2 years ago my girlfriend "came out" as an Asexual. We never had an active sex life, so I wasn't surprised but she just sprung it on me. Apparently it's not "Disgust with Sex" asexuality, but "no cravings whatsoever, and it's just not fun," asexuality. I don't know how to deal with that, because before she told me this we had talked about our different libidos and how we would work through it. now it seems she's angry with me whenever I talk about wanting sex, even when I try to start with making it about her, she is constantly telling me no. If we go 2 months without sex, she yells at me for not asking. If I ask every couple of weeks she yells at me for being demanding.

Ontop of that, it's expected of me to be a house husband (I do not mind this.) I cook her meals every day, keep the house clean, and then go out and look for work, if I find nothing, I make ends meet with Penny Articles through textbroker, or amazon turk. It's grueling work, and I normally make about 5$ /hr ontop of my normal chores. She doesn't keep the house clean and I'm constantly cooking for her.

I can't find a chef job, and my diploma is loving worthless. I went to Le Cordon Bleu school of Culinary Arts, to become a Classically Trained French Chef, and because they lost their accreditation my degree is worth Nothing. I can't even get a new diploma because the school is bankrupt and defunct.

I don't know what I want from this, besides goons to tell me that yeah poo poo's rough and throw pity my way. I just want to know someone out there cares. That someone read what I had to say and noticed me, noticed what I'm doing and thinking, that all the ways I try to make myself known are appreciated. That I'm funny, and a good person to be around and worthwhile.

God I really need just one person to pretend they like me.

Please?

I mean, your relationship seems like a pretty straightforward example of emotional abuse, even if she's not doing it on purpose, but she has made herself essential in your life and devoted effort to tearing down your self-esteem etc

The thing is, rebuilding your life will take a lot of time and effort, and in your current emotional state that seems unlikely. If I were you I'd take a healthy interest in the thread title (of course) and maybe start looking into men's shelters. You're resigned to your fate because you don't think you have any other options, and I think just knowing that those options exist would do you a world of good.

How much is a degree really necessary in the restaurant world? You don't have to jump right into chef-ing, you could just get a job as a line cook somewhere and work from there, right? Or if you'd rather do tech poo poo you can take some university of phoenix courses or something, see how that feels. You have options. You don't have to put up with a situation that makes you miserable.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Depressed goon, work on getting good at something and be a little patient.

See a therapist to talk it out, but your goal is to accomplish something worthwhile, if work-related starting entry level if you need to, meet and be friendly to people (and not in a creepy way).

Non-work related, you can join a gym and work out on a regular basis, get buff. Gym memberships can be cheap. Plus that increases endorphins.

Good luck I had a friend in a sorta similar situation as you, helped by a gfs family and formerly ripped off people to buy heroin (but less criticism from the family he lived with and he always worked, anything, anywhere). He eventually pulled out of it.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Depressed goon, I like you :) Go start applying at restaurants. Any of them. All of them, no matter how lovely. Well, within reasonable shittiness. Don't bother listing your degree, but feel free to mention that you like to work hard and you really want to learn as much as possible. Everyone starts somewhere, and ffs you can't discount "bad" restaurant jobs just because they're not Gordon Ramsay's steakhouse. go work at a restaurant, get some hands-on experience in the industry, grill approximately eight million chicken breasts and mix a hundred gallons of refried beans, and you'll be able to take that and go somewhere else that pays better, has better management/employees, better work-life bal---

hahahahaha who am I kidding, it's the restaurant industry, it will slowly break you and make you want to slit your throat with a paring knife while you smoke basically all the weed in the world and turn into a stumbling alcoholic. If you really love it, do the poo poo I said up there; if you have any doubt about your ability to deal with the poo poo a restaurant will put you through, though, you might want to look into Pell Grants or small loans to go take some community college courses in something you're interested in (a lot of CS or IT degrees come with built-in COMPTIA certs)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

That story ends with him becoming a line cook and cheating on his gf with a waitress

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not a Children posted:

That story ends with him becoming a line cook and cheating on his gf with a waitress

Honestly in my mind that would be a step forward from being a miserable depressed unemployed househusband in a relationship he doesn't like with a girl who won't let him gently caress her and gets mad if he doesn't ask for sex with the exact correct hyper-low frequency and is always unconsciously reminding him he's stupid and can't do anything right

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Dude the Comptia A+ is like 200$

Also if you are over 24 and have basically no income you can be going to community college for free on Pell Grants right now until you get married.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

My girlfriend is smarter than me, and constantly reminds me how forgetful and incompetent I am. She doesn't do it on purpose and loves to dote on me. She's going to med school, and will inheritantly make more money than I will. Her family has accepted me like a 2nd son. her father is someone I can go for life advice, her mother feeds and takes care of me. Her sister treats me like a brother. I've helped her sister through a bad break up. I am the "computer guy," in the house. I feel worthless and unloved.

It's spelled "inherently".

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Arven posted:

Also if you are over 24 and have basically no income you can be going to community college for free on Pell Grants right now until you get married.

The amount of money the government was willing to loan me (at an interest rate so low it was nearly unbelievable) to pursue any degree was ridiculous. Obviously, grants are a better choice, but the option to borrow is always there in order to build a foundation for your future. After you graduate and your grace period expires, you can elect for an income-based repayment schedule so you're not drowning in payments every month if you do decide to take the loans.

If you're moving to be near a university, there is probably at least once community college there, and hopefully a vocational training center, too. Take your pick. Get a certification to be a welder, work on cars, or grab a public admin degree and go work for municipal, county, or state government, or heck, if more school is not an option for you for whatever reason just take a bunch of part-time gigs at convenience stores to stay afloat until something better comes along.

You need to give some honest consideration to ditching this girl, no matter how much it would hurt her 'rents and your cash flow. Ask yourself (and be honest) what you're getting out of the relationship. If you don't have an immediate answer, or if you can't even come up with an answer after spending some time thinking about it, I think that's an answer in itself. Yes, relationships are about give and take, but a big part of a healthy relationship is looking after your own well-being. Don't be one of those boyfriends who puts her up on a pedestal and "worships" her by bending over backwards and enduring immense psychic pain just to satisfy her--that poo poo is just not sustainable in the long run. Don't try to say "well that's not what I'm doing" because buddy, she's causing you grief mad style if you came to the GBS anonymous confessions thread just to find someone to "pretend to like [you]."

You're probably a well-adjusted, likable person with lots of potential, skill, and talent. As someone who's been in a rut kind of like this before, I'm rooting for you. Keep your chin up--digging yourself out of this might be easier than you thought.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Humans are animals too, should we just put down kids born with :downs:?

Remarkably, you can have a pretty nice QoL with downs.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The amount of money the government was willing to loan me (at an interest rate so low it was nearly unbelievable) to pursue any degree was ridiculous. Obviously, grants are a better choice, but the option to borrow is always there in order to build a foundation for your future. After you graduate and your grace period expires, you can elect for an income-based repayment schedule so you're not drowning in payments every month if you do decide to take the loans.

Pell Grants are the jam, and if you're an independent student federal subsidized loans are pretty awesome if you need the money for expenses (just don't go overboard, and definitely work on finding a job so you can stop taking the loans). Go to the community college, friend :)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Remarkably, you can have a pretty nice QoL with downs.

True, although it's a wide spectrum of possible outcomes, from 'dead before 1 year of age' (10%) to 'finishes high school and lives to 70' (10%). Depends on severity, income and education level of parents, availability of proper medical and educational facilities, and a host of other factors.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Do you need papers to be even let into a kitchen nowadays? I'd assume in an industry so cut-throat that you could still do what Marco Pierre-White did and knock on the back doors of hotels/restaurants, etc. Or are the places that still accept alleyway applications seedy as gently caress? Marco is a fairly good storyteller in that clip actually, it's just his restaurant life before becoming famous seems incredibly depressing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Neutrino posted:

It's spelled "inherently".

Take it easy, he did go to an unaccredited school.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I have a friend who is a literal felon and he managed to get a job in a restaurant kitchen. He works on the line and has taken on more responsibility and learned different positions and he's doing pretty drat well now. You can do it depressed goon!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

TheKennedys posted:

Pell Grants are the jam, and if you're an independent student federal subsidized loans are pretty awesome if you need the money for expenses (just don't go overboard, and definitely work on finding a job so you can stop taking the loans). Go to the community college, friend :)

Definitely don't do what I did and take like 15k of unsubsidized loans and blow it all on online poker and alcohol, but otherwise yes go to college if you have a definite goal in mind with what you want to do with the degree. Don't go just to kill time/put off adulthood.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

quote:

:words: :words: :words: :words: :words:

This is all over the place. Not smart, can't find job, used to steal, GF loves me but no sex, house husband, whaaa whaaaaa poor me.

Fire up Craigslist and start applying for $15/hr kitchen jobs. Nobody gives the slightest poo poo that your school is 'unaccredited': either you can cook or you can't, and if it's the former you can get a job.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

My guess is he's trying for more senior positions in kitchens that he thinks his diploma affords him. Every kitchen I've seen you have to work your way up, though. At the very most he's looking at eating poo poo for a couple years at $10/hour.

His situation is not great and it doesn't sound like he has much in the way of support systems.

I think I would just ghost on my whole life at that point. Maybe run around downtown naked gibbering incomprehensibly until you're locked up for a psyche eval. Maybe just drive to another town and live out of my car until I can beg a new job off the goons.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I have a friend who is a literal felon and he managed to get a job in a restaurant kitchen. He works on the line and has taken on more responsibility and learned different positions and he's doing pretty drat well now. You can do it depressed goon!

we've got a cook right now that's on felony probation and only avoids going to prison because now he's actually prescribed most of the drugs he shoves down his throat (just not in the quantity he takes them), and this is a semi-respectable company, shadier companies would probably give even less of a poo poo

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

My guess is he's trying for more senior positions in kitchens that he thinks his diploma affords him. Every kitchen I've seen you have to work your way up, though. At the very most he's looking at eating poo poo for a couple years at $10/hour.

this too

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Arven posted:

Dude the Comptia A+ is like 200$

I've seen the entire CompTIA suite, complete with online classes and the tests, for 200 bux on Groupon.

Get at it depressed goon. We are rooting for you because we know you can do it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

If you truly do have a degree in Real French Cooking, you can score a $15/hr job unless you live in a buttfuck rural area. Mostly because...

A dude posted:

we've got a cook right now that's on felony probation and only avoids going to prison because now he's actually prescribed most of the drugs he shoves down his throat (just not in the quantity he takes them), and this is a semi-respectable company, shadier companies would probably give even less of a poo poo

...if you have no criminal record, you have a big advantage over 75% of the other people in the kitchen.

I think I would just ghost on my whole life at that point. Maybe run around downtown naked gibbering incomprehensibly until you're locked up for a psyche eval. Maybe just drive to another town and live out of my car until I can beg a new job off the goons.

Don't do this.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Hot take: you are a dumb piece of poo poo who does indeed deserve whatever "pennance" you have to go through, but other than your gf being "asexual" (lol) your life isn't bad right now as a house husband who has a family that supports you and pays for everything despite you never doing a drat thing for them or anyone else in your life.

You are in fact, as a current mooch and former violent felon and drug dealer, completely compatible with the restaurant industry, and the only reason you haven't found a job is because of your hubris in thinking that because you wasted money at a fly-by-night cooking school means you start at an advanced position.
Suck it up, shitsack. You start at the bottom just like everyone else.
If you can manage to be even somewhat reliable and are even half the chef you think you are, you'll manage to climb the ladder fairly quickly.
Maybe you'll even manage to learn the responsibility to take care of yourself, because it's obvious that your relationship with your gf is going only on inertia at this point and you're living on borrowed time, before your gf hits 30 and realizes she's spent half her life with you and has a crisis, running to her nearest hot colleague who "understands" her better than you ever have and dumps you like yesterday's garbage.

Good luck.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 29, 2017

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Harsh, but probably the most honest response he can get.

Suck it up and get a job. Show you can do the work and want to learn more. Learn more. Work harder. If you get to this point, you'll probably fix most of your problems.

Except the asexuality. Get that poo poo straight or accept the life that comes with it. I guess you're technically getting laid 12 times a year more than any incel out there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think by this point we need a thread success story:

quote:

Hello, I'm the strange depressed logical fallacy guy from earlier this month. The one who was wound too tightly and needed to chill out? Not many of those recently, so hopefully you remember which confessor I was, if only to give the following thoughts context.

I took everyone's responses to heart. I am also on some new medication that isn't making me more depressed, and discussed my issue (and my post here) at length with my therapist. The medication, I'm told, takes a while to "build up in your system" before it will become effective, but getting all of that off my chest was an immediate help. It also allowed me some time for self-reflection. It is easy to hide from your mistakes when you can ignore them, but much harder when your own voice and words are on the screen.

I have also spoken with someone whom you might call my best friend. Kevin and I play pool every Friday, and while he found the thought of me "pouring out my soul" to strangers patently ridiculous, he did point out that I had seemed to have cheered up somewhat recently.

Things are in no way perfect, but I can say with a reasonable degree of confidence that my situation is getting better. As some posters said, I was worrying far too much about the ways in which other people think. As a result, I was not paying attention to how I was thinking, what I was feeling (other than blue), and how I was behaving.

Kevin, too, suggested that I loosen up, and half-jokingly asked if I'd ever had more than two beers when I've gone out. "You should try it."

My immediate argument was that alcohol is a depressant, and that it would make things worse, and he said in so many words that my attitude couldn't get much worse than it was already, so I should give it a shot.

I honestly have no idea why he chooses to willingly be friends with me. I thought about it and realized that I really haven't been a good friend to him in all the years I have known him, and I feel terrible about it. He's always got words of encouragement, advice, and high hopes for me, and in return, I dole out sadness. That is a different issue, though, and something I'm also working on.

So, I did try it. On Friday, I cut loose. We had a good time. I even did some flirting (at Kevin's behest) and, more importantly, I managed to spend an evening not immediately judging everyone I came across.

It turns out people aren't so bad.

I mean this sincerely: thank you for your responses, even the snarky ones. I'll keep working on caring less about things that--if I'm completely honest with myself and you--don't really matter at all.

Usually just being told "you need to relax" doesn't help, but I guess sometimes a person just needs a reality check. Good on you. :)

quote:

I was walking once with my step-brother somewhere in the valley. I randomly looked over a wall and saw two Rottweilers eating a dead pit bull. When we got up to a chain link gate they ran over barking. I don't know why any one would let that happen. It's sad.

rorschach's_journal.txt

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I thought that second fesh was going to end with masturbation.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Yet another wayward soul claimed by the devil's drink

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Why did the second confession need to be anonymous?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Why did the second confession need to be anonymous?

Sometimes people use this thread for poo poo they're not actually ashamed of because they want a platform to say something that doesn't fit in any existing thread and couldn't support its own

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I could see wanting to post something like that anon. It doesn't make sense, but I've see stuff I'm hesitant to talk about. There's just weirdbad poo poo out there exactly like that confession. Like it'd be bad mojo to bring it up.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"Alcohol is a depressant" is one of those bullshit DARE things that's technically true but doesn't accurately reflect the actual effects. If it made everyone sad then it wouldn't be the go-to social lubricant and necessary tool to get through all the crushing disappointments of parenthood.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Alcohol is a depressant" is one of those bullshit DARE things that's technically true but doesn't accurately reflect the actual effects. If it made everyone sad then it wouldn't be the go-to social lubricant and necessary tool to get through all the crushing disappointments of parenthood.

To put this another way -- alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, not an emotional depressant.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Atlas Hugged posted:

I mean alcohol is a depressant but that doesn't mean it makes you depressed. It's got a specific biochemical meaning that gets glossed over a lot. Although as long as people know what's a depressant and what's a stimulant and why you shouldn't mix them, esp in strong doses, I'm p happy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yes that's what I meant by technically true but misrepresenting. If you're already depressed drinking alcohol won't somehow compound that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

spoken like a true alcoholic lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ziv Zulander posted:

To put this another way -- alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, not an emotional depressant.

Exactly. I'm drunk AS gently caress right now, and I feel GREAT. Total different meaNing.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

spoken like a true alcoholic lol

: hi five :

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
your redtext... uh... it goes with your post too well

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I drink drive one time and people spool it out to say I did really repugnant stuff... disgusting. Smh. The shame from drink driving should be enough, the red texter thought it might not be far enough so made fake news

Dilutes the actual badness of drunk driving imo. I'm against it, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
you could buy lowtax a san francisco beer to change that tho