Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

KoB posted:

Doing "Born Again Anima" and it says I need it equipped or in the inventory. Does that mean I can run as any job?

SettingSun posted:

You need to run it as your job since the quests ask you if you want to do it as your current job or another one.

Sorry, I meant Ive got the quest and if I can run the dungeons as any class as long as the weapon's in my inventory.

Current quest is running Sohm Al, Gubal, and SomethingElse hard modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell, scaled-down Samurai could use some work, too. Give you the third Sen much earlier, then just have Midare do less damage, but with a trait at 50 (which is when you currently get the third Sen, and therefore Midare) that makes it do its normal damage. That way you get a full rotation even when scaled down, but you don't get a massive power boost, either.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been thinking a lot about better ability orders, and here's my take on lancer/dragoon:

1: True Thrust
2: Vorpal Thrust
4: Heavy Thrust
6: Impulse Drive, but it has the piercing resist debuff instead of Disembowel
8: Full Thrust
10: Doom Spike
12: Disembowel
14: Piercing Talon
15: Chaos Thrust (class quest)

Now you've got your full basic rotation and an AOE ability when you enter Sastasha. Abilities would have lower potency or effects than at level 70, and you'd get traits to upgrade them along the way.

I'll be expecting my check shortly, SE.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 28, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

Hell, scaled-down Samurai could use some work, too.

Big understatement really. Pre-50 Samurai is atrocious in every way.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I ended up book potioning NIN last night and I'm liking what little of it I goofed around with. Feels fast and fun, and mudras are cool even if I have no idea what the combinations for anything are. Probably gonna have to do a few runs of mid-level dungeons just to get some basic muscle memory down because the last thing I want to do is jump straight into 60 stuff knowing nothing beyond "knife a mans".

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Early Game CNJ is basically - If health is fine, Aero+Stone 1/2, if someone is getting hurt use cure, if debuff, cast Esuna, if MP low, use Lucid Dreaming, if someone is dead, cast Raise.

Pretty standard and simple.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Colgate posted:

if debuff, cast Esuna

in most cases you can ignore this, there's no debuff remotely life threatening until 50 content

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

kojei posted:

in most cases you can ignore this, there's no debuff remotely life threatening until 50 content

No debuff remotely life-threatening _that you can do anything about_. loving Qarn. :argh:

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Even if that's the case, the occasional Slow and Paralyze are really annoying and I like to deal with them when I can.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Big understatement really. Pre-50 Samurai is atrocious in every way.

Definitely. It has the same problem as rogue at low levels and doesn't really feel "complete" at all until 50+.

So my static finally got around to clearing O3S. One member was having a really hard time staying connected, so rather than call off raid night and be frustrated at missing our clear *again*, we decide to PF it and wound up with a guy who had been pugging the fight for the last 10 hours. We cleared in one pull.

I have some conflicted feelings about this!

Then we spent the rest of the night getting wrecked by blind pulls of O4S. We managed to see him cast meteor once. :downs:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

KoB posted:

Sorry, I meant Ive got the quest and if I can run the dungeons as any class as long as the weapon's in my inventory.

Current quest is running Sohm Al, Gubal, and SomethingElse hard modes.

You need to be the job you're doing the anima for or you won't get any progress in the quest.

So if you took the quest as a Bard but ran the dungeons as a Warrior you wouldn't get the item drops for the quest, as an example.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Thundarr posted:

So my static finally got around to clearing O3S. One member was having a really hard time staying connected, so rather than call off raid night and be frustrated at missing our clear *again*, we decide to PF it and wound up with a guy who had been pugging the fight for the last 10 hours. We cleared in one pull.

how could you reward the behavior of such a base animal?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wangsbig posted:

how could you reward the behavior of such a base animal?

He was actually really good (ended up as top dps, I fell behind because I derped and got hit by the first transform during Farmville). He said he had recently quit his static because he was tired of them being bad and was pugging it to beat them to the O3S clear. Turns out he succeeded!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Thundarr posted:

He was actually really good (ended up as top dps, I fell behind because I derped and got hit by the first transform during Farmville). He said he had recently quit his static because he was tired of them being bad and was pugging it to beat them to the O3S clear. Turns out he succeeded!

You invite him to join? ;) Or see if anyone could spring a few bucks for your member's connection? Worth seeing if Mudfish couldn't help them lower their ping. It can be a legit concern in Savage content.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Eopia posted:

You need to be the job you're doing the anima for or you won't get any progress in the quest.

So if you took the quest as a Bard but ran the dungeons as a Warrior you wouldn't get the item drops for the quest, as an example.

Cool thanks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Colgate posted:

Early Game CNJ is basically - If health is fine, Aero+Stone 1/2, if someone is getting hurt use cure, if debuff, cast Esuna, if MP low, use Lucid Dreaming, if someone is dead, cast Raise.

Not having an oGDC heal until Benediction at 50 loving sucks though.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
fey-union is relly good and i wish SCH got it before 70 :saddowns:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Colgate posted:

Pretty much same as endgame WHM really.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Hello, newbie who's done MNK from 1-47 over the past couple weeks. Here is my new player experience so far:

1.) I fell in love with the game early. I'm an altoholic for sure, loved trying out all the other classes, exploring all the cities & low level zones. Great presentation like you'd expect from S-E, and a certain charm & sense of scale that most other WoW-alikes never captured.
2.)a.) Realized that everything - including many new jobs that I also wanted to try! - was gated behind MSQ
2.)b.) Realized that there is literally no benefit to your main class / story progression / overall power level for levelling alt-jobs.
2.c.) Knuckled down to get to 50 & finish main quest.
3.) gently caress you whoever planned this questing experience out in good conscience, you are a bad person

Having Y'shtola hang a lampshade on the ridiculous amount of padding & nested-problem diversions (kill these monsters to rehabilitate this crazy person to help this vintner help another vintner to acquire a fancy wine you need to round out the banquet you are putting on for a rich guy so the rich guy's employee will tell you a thing you need to know so you can kill the primal) DOES NOT MAKE IT OKAY. I legitimately thought the MSQ was just trolling after a certain point.

If I did not have the promise of RDM/AST/SAM waiting for me at 50, I probably would've give this whole thing the shove-off a long time ago.

Additional observations:
It's odd that nobody here talks about the way cross-class stuff used to work. From what I've read, it actually sounds interesting, and probably would've gone a long way to making the early levels more interesting, and make multi-classing at least a little rewarding. Plus it's a very "Final Fantasy" way of handling a job system, which is what I expected. As it is my "class" just feels like a shittier version of the "Job" I actually want to be playing (gently caress you Rogue gently caress youuuuu), and the transition between the two feels very abrupt and arbitrary ("welcome to level 30. btw there is a jerk over there who will give you a soulstone; go talk to him")

PUG might be better off than other classes in terms of "having things to press," but it's still a looot of long dry stretches. It's definitely designed to drip-feed you your basic rotation (and presumably Internal Release is there so early to emphasize 'hey this is your go-to buff, use it a lot'). My #1 vote for quality of life improvement: give us Shoulder Tackle at, like, 15, not 35. The number of times I couldn't make it to the next mob in time to keep my Greased Lightning up was heartbreaking, it's the thing I immediately miss now being sync'd down, and being able to zip around the battlefield goes a loooong way to making the class feel more dynamic.

...Ultima Weapon is pretty sweet, I'll give you that. And I can't believe I didn't see the Lahabrea reveal coming. >_<

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
1-50 isn't that bad and people complaining about it during their first runthrough are whiny pissbabies.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Verranicus posted:

1-50 isn't that bad and people complaining about it during their first runthrough are whiny pissbabies.

:nallears:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

Additional observations:
It's odd that nobody here talks about the way cross-class stuff used to work. From what I've read, it actually sounds interesting, and probably would've gone a long way to making the early levels more interesting, and make multi-classing at least a little rewarding. Plus it's a very "Final Fantasy" way of handling a job system, which is what I expected. As it is my "class" just feels like a shittier version of the "Job" I actually want to be playing (gently caress you Rogue gently caress youuuuu), and the transition between the two feels very abrupt and arbitrary ("welcome to level 30. btw there is a jerk over there who will give you a soulstone; go talk to him")

I guarantee you that it wasn't, didn't, and didn't. There was nothing interesting about it. Basically every job had 3-5 CC abilities that were marginally useful and the rest weren't even worth considering. Some jobs had mandatory or nearly mandatory CC abilities, like provoke or swiftcast. All this did was make it so that to spend time on a different job instead, which meant zero progress towards leveling your main class and the MSQ. Ask all the monks and bards who had to grind out LNC 34 to get Blood for Blood how rewarding it was.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Levelling Lancer/Dragoon was the low point of the game and the fact it's now just a level 34 mark of shame in my character settings will forever haunt me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I look back at the 1-50 experience more fondly than most, but lets not pretend it did not have its problems (Looking at you, Pre-Titan stuff).

And RE: Cross-Class skills: In practice it meant a whole lot of grinding to get almost required skills for your role. For example, Provoke is needed if you try to do anything that requires tank swaping, but it was locked behind Galdiator (I think sometime between 20 and 30?). Add to that the job crystals (Which, in themselves are required) also further limiting what cross class skills you can take. It is really not as flexible as you think it is.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 28, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The new system is infinitely more flexible if only for the fact you can swap your role actions in and out when out of combat without setting cooldowns off.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I guarantee you that it wasn't, didn't, and didn't. There was nothing interesting about it. Basically every job had 3-5 CC abilities that were marginally useful and the rest weren't even worth considering. Some jobs had mandatory or nearly mandatory CC abilities, like provoke or swiftcast. All this did was make it so that to spend time on a different job instead, which meant zero progress towards leveling your main class and the MSQ. Ask all the monks and bards who had to grind out LNC 34 to get Blood for Blood how rewarding it was.

On top of that, a lot of those skills did not feel super rewarding. Or even particularly rewarding. Oh Internal Release and Second Wind, now my entire experience feels that much punchier! Not.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cross-class skills definitely weren't particularly interesting and all they really did was force you to level other classes so that the job you actually want to play can function correctly. The worst part was that it was inconsistent how much you actually needed to do for cross-class skills--some jobs needed to level other ones much higher for specific abilities, while others just needed early levels of a few. It was never a full sub-job kind of thing.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The original idea was that class combinations would lead to new and different jobs, but once they discovered that it doesn't work nearly as well in practice, they quietly scuttled that plan (You can say that about a whole lot of things in this game, really) and only recently properly put the axe to it. Heck, you can see shades of it even now: Take off your job crystal and see how many job actions you can equip.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have to admit, they could make 1-50 quite a bit better just by giving you a lot more abilities sooner, reducing the amount of XP you need, and adjusting quests to remove all the instances where somebody summons you to A in order to send you to B.

I mean, that won't make it perfect, but if you aren't playing a parody of your class and you don't have to do sidequests unless you want to, it would become much more tolerable.

That could be especially true if they boost the armory bonus enough to make levelling multiple classes while you do the MSQ an obvious choice.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I agree on rearranging the skills at least. I think in particular WAR could be improved by giving you Deliverance earlier so it doesn't feel like your job crystal is just a piece of equipment outside of dungeons before 50.

Anyway, I recently completed the Stormblood MSQ and liked it a lot! Feels like a further evolution from HW in that they have a much more straightforward plot that was done well. As good as HW was, it had a few subplots that were only barely integrated to the main story and did not really get the time they deserved.

Also did the starting quests for Omega last nigh. Did not know what I expected, but I never knew I wanted a Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon and Digimon crossover

EDIT: Didn't they already nerf the experience needed for 1-50? Twice?

I do not get it, but then I only unlocked the first part of the raid, haven't actually done it yet, so v:v:v
VVVV

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 28, 2017

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Unlucky7 posted:

Also did the starting quests for Omega last nigh. Did not know what I expected, but I never knew I wanted a Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon and Digimon crossover

And we mustn't forget Blindsight. :eek:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Didn't they already nerf the experience needed for 1-50? Twice?

I do not get it, but then I only unlocked the first part of the raid, haven't actually done it yet, so v:v:v
VVVV

I'm on an xp boosting server, and the MSQ and no side quests is leveling me extremely fast. I'm about 10 levels ahead of the MSQ now, doing literally nothing except class quests and MSQ.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Die Sexmonster! posted:

You invite him to join? ;) Or see if anyone could spring a few bucks for your member's connection? Worth seeing if Mudfish couldn't help them lower their ping. It can be a legit concern in Savage content.

He's definitely on speed dial now. The regular guy had a series of storms blow through and mess with his internet connection so a VPN wouldn't have helped much.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Unlucky7 posted:

There are some interesting ..quirks.. to Omega's personality that people have started speculating about.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

comingafteryouall posted:

I'm on an xp boosting server, and the MSQ and no side quests is leveling me extremely fast. I'm about 10 levels ahead of the MSQ now, doing literally nothing except class quests and MSQ.

I will say that one of the roughest things in the 1-50 MSQ prior to HW was literally running out of quests to do and the next story quest was gated behind a level. This happens around late 30/early 40, and is also the part of that story where poo poo Gets Real.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Gearhead posted:

There are some interesting ..quirks.. to Omega's personality that people have started speculating about.

Wait, do you mean Blindsight as in, the novel? I love that book! I obviously don't have any context for Omega beyond what I've gleaned from discussion in this thread, but are people speculating it's a gigantic Chinese Room situation?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ghost of Starman posted:

Wait, do you mean Blindsight as in, the novel? I love that book! I obviously don't have any context for Omega beyond what I've gleaned from discussion in this thread, but are people speculating it's a gigantic Chinese Room situation?

Omega cannot distinguish history from fantasy. And seems to treat interactions with others as a flowchart. Omega ITSELF may be a Chinese Room, or a creature which is intelligent but not truly self aware.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
One more thing about Stormblood: Lupin and Namazu primal fights for the major patches. Who is with me?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

One more thing about Stormblood: Lupin and Namazu primal fights for the major patches. Who is with me?

Lupin are cool but I would very much like to kill a giant Namazu yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Gotta admit, I love how the writing in the Omega quests feels like it's straight out of Portal.