Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

jisforjosh posted:

Why would the gamery type get that for $250 when they can do a Schiit stack for less?

Microphone input, which is the entire point of that product. The alternatives are headphones into a DAC+Amp and ModMic into a mobo or external sound card's mic in.

The other alternative are headphones that have a 3.5mm jack to support a BoomPro. Then you can split that out into a DAC+Amp and separate mic in as well. The problem with this one is you can cause a ground loop since you're plugging one cable into two inputs. (where as the ModMic is completely separate from your headphones so it's fine there). Another is a desk mic of course.

So yeah, it's a good product in theory to solve that niche problem but I don't know why they didn't borrow more from the O2 other than it's ugly rear end design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Virtue posted:

Is the Schiit stack all it's hyped up to be? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Micca Origen+ to power my small PC speakers and HD598s but I could be convinced to spring for the stack.

Just get the micca, its awesome and works great if you are using external speakers cause you can switch it from the front.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Constellation I posted:

So yeah, it's a good product in theory to solve that niche problem but I don't know why they didn't borrow more from the O2 other than it's ugly rear end design.

Yeah, to be clear I'm only suggesting it might be interesting to people with that one specific problem it solves. If the mic preamp in your computer doesn't suck rear end and you don't mind running a cable to it, get literally anything else.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Constellation I posted:

Microphone input, which is the entire point of that product. The alternatives are headphones into a DAC+Amp and ModMic into a mobo or external sound card's mic in.

The other alternative are headphones that have a 3.5mm jack to support a BoomPro. Then you can split that out into a DAC+Amp and separate mic in as well. The problem with this one is you can cause a ground loop since you're plugging one cable into two inputs. (where as the ModMic is completely separate from your headphones so it's fine there). Another is a desk mic of course.

Ah. Didn't see the microphone part, for some reason boon mics annoy me so I've always just run desktop mics.

Loveline
Dec 30, 2005

So I'm looking for a pair of over the ear, noise canceling headphones for my wife. She would mainly use it for trying to sleep, with and without music, while I'm taking care of our screaming kid or when the dog is barking. Flights too but we don't travel too much. I was looking at the BackBeat PRO 2 but some of the reviews said the noise canceling can create and audible hiss and pop without any sound running. Because she'd use these mainly for just for the noise canceling not sure if the Plantronics are the one to go with. Seems the gold standard is the Bose QC35 but I'd like to hear any cheaper options with good noise canceling.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Looking for recommendation for some comfortable headphones. I've been testing out the QC35 at Bestbuy and drat that thing is so drat comfy. Is there any cheaper alternative that is as comfortable? Doesn't need noise cancellation or bluetooth.
I have a Beats Solo and a Sennheiser HD280 Pro and neither are very comfy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Another Poster posted:

Looking for recommendation for some comfortable headphones. I've been testing out the QC35 at Bestbuy and drat that thing is so drat comfy. Is there any cheaper alternative that is as comfortable? Doesn't need noise cancellation or bluetooth.
I have a Beats Solo and a Sennheiser HD280 Pro and neither are very comfy.

Try a closed back Sennheiser 471 or 569. Both should have good earcups and comfort right out of the box for fairly reasonable money.

Both are wired and have zero ANC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just finally bought a proper DAC/amp to maybe replace my SoundblasterX G5, an Onkyo HA200. It works no problem on my PC, and for a while works no problem on my PS4 when connected by USB, but about half an hour into using it each time, it starts getting weird digital noise, which stops if I disconnect and reconnect it. I don't know where the problem is exactly and the PS4's support of USB DACs is barely documented, but does anyone know anything?

I could connect it by optical instead but that's one more cable, that's all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just finally bought a proper DAC/amp to maybe replace my SoundblasterX G5, an Onkyo HA200. It works no problem on my PC, and for a while works no problem on my PS4 when connected by USB, but about half an hour into using it each time, it starts getting weird digital noise, which stops if I disconnect and reconnect it. I don't know where the problem is exactly and the PS4's support of USB DACs is barely documented, but does anyone know anything?

I could connect it by optical instead but that's one more cable, that's all.

If it's PS4 specific then I don't have a clue - try hunting around in some PS4 hardware forums in case other people have had similar issues. Might be a bad USB port (they have multiple right? are there others you could try?) or perhaps a firmware update.

Also does it happen with just the one game/app or all the time? Might be specific software.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

If it's PS4 specific then I don't have a clue - try hunting around in some PS4 hardware forums in case other people have had similar issues. Might be a bad USB port (they have multiple right? are there others you could try?) or perhaps a firmware update.

Also does it happen with just the one game/app or all the time? Might be specific software.
I've heard it happen in two different games, but not so far when using Spotify.

Also, speaking of firmware updates, despite the paper manual saying to check Onkyo's site for some, I can not find any. The product page has no support info and the support page does not seem to have anything but a PDF manual for this model.

This thing sure sounds sweet though. I am told it's almost the same internally as TEAC's that looks the same on the outside.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've heard it happen in two different games, but not so far when using Spotify.

Also, speaking of firmware updates, despite the paper manual saying to check Onkyo's site for some, I can not find any. The product page has no support info and the support page does not seem to have anything but a PDF manual for this model.

This thing sure sounds sweet though. I am told it's almost the same internally as TEAC's that looks the same on the outside.

Give this link a go http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/index.html

Hopefully one of those strings of numbers will correspond to what you have.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

Give this link a go http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/index.html

Hopefully one of those strings of numbers will correspond to what you have.
I see the DAC-HA300 there, which is 3x as expensive as this one. Oh well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I see the DAC-HA300 there, which is 3x as expensive as this one. Oh well.

It wouldn't surprise me if the DACs are the same and the amps are what differentiates them.

Disclaimer: I don't know Onkyo internals for poo poo and for all I know they all run off unicorn farts of differing colors.

Might be worth seeing if there is a PS4 firmware update first if you haven't tried that already.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the DACs are the same and the amps are what differentiates them.

Disclaimer: I don't know Onkyo internals for poo poo and for all I know they all run off unicorn farts of differing colors.

Might be worth seeing if there is a PS4 firmware update first if you haven't tried that already.
No way am I gonna risk bricking this thing by trying to install firmware meant for another model on it.

I'm always up to date on the PS4's firmware. The issue, as always, is that all talk on the internet about the USB audio support for the PS4 is just speculation. Maybe you'll remember before that I swore the sound blaster sounded different when connected by USB vs. optical, and I had to give up on wondering why they should be different and just trust my ears that optical sounded better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

No way am I gonna risk bricking this thing by trying to install firmware meant for another model on it.

I'm always up to date on the PS4's firmware. The issue, as always, is that all talk on the internet about the USB audio support for the PS4 is just speculation. Maybe you'll remember before that I swore the sound blaster sounded different when connected by USB vs. optical, and I had to give up on wondering why they should be different and just trust my ears that optical sounded better.

Ah if the audio support isn't concrete over USB you'll need to go the optical route then. Bugger.

You could also go the excessively complicated way and toss a whole receiver in there and start to split things off but at that point I think it's too much effort for console audio.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also like I said, I read that this is mostly the same internals as TEAC's. The review said that one component was different but it could be called the rutabaga disassimilator for all I know about the components of a DAC.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

SourKraut posted:

FYI - Bose's eBay store has Bose-refurbished QC35's for $260 right now.

Is this a good deal? I'm sorta in the market for a decent pair of noise cancelling cans for flights but it's a low priority right now.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Dude, just use the optical port.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Virtue posted:

Is this a good deal? I'm sorta in the market for a decent pair of noise cancelling cans for flights but it's a low priority right now.

Bose refurbs are good as new with same warranty if the product was brand new. 260 is real good for QC35's.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've had a pair of HD 555's for a good couple of years now, and while I'm still happy with the sound quality, the padding has been squished to hell. Is there any reason I'd want to get 'official' replacement pads, or should I just go to ebay and grab some off brand ones? (these ones have the headband part as well).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've had a pair of HD 555's for a good couple of years now, and while I'm still happy with the sound quality, the padding has been squished to hell. Is there any reason I'd want to get 'official' replacement pads, or should I just go to ebay and grab some off brand ones? (these ones have the headband part as well).

I'd recommend the official sennheiser ear pads. Other headphone brands might take well to pad rolling but sennheisers are a lot more picky. Your call though.

No harm in experimenting so long as you don't mind potentially regretting it later.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DancingShade posted:

I'd recommend the official sennheiser ear pads. Other headphone brands might take well to pad rolling but sennheisers are a lot more picky. Your call though.

No harm in experimenting so long as you don't mind potentially regretting it later.

Yeah, fair enough. Kinda lovely that the official ones don't come with the headband part though. :(

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, fair enough. Kinda lovely that the official ones don't come with the headband part though. :(

Is the headband padding even removable on the 500 series?

Worst case just order replacement headband padding for the HD600 or 650, tear off the old headband padding and glue the new stuff on. Or wrap in some soft wool you have handy.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DancingShade posted:

Is the headband padding even removable on the 500 series?

Worst case just order replacement headband padding for the HD600 or 650, tear off the old headband padding and glue the new stuff on. Or wrap in some soft wool you have handy.

Yeah, I think removing the headband would basically mean tearing it out.

Thanks again, I'd be sending this stuff to a friend of mine travelling to the states so I have a bit of time to think it over.

While I'm here, if I wanted something with the same sound quality as the 555s (with the 595 'mod') but closed, what should I be looking at? I moved recently and my new place has way more traffic noise than before, so a bit more isolation from outside noises would be nice. :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
598 Cs?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dogen posted:

598 Cs?

598 Cs.

Edit:
for anyone that missed it the first threeeight times, the HD6xx is back on massdrop for 3 more days.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?mode=guest_open

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 28, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Potentially dumb question:

I leave my m50s plugged into the front of my soundcard, so they're always getting signal, even if I'm listening through my monitors. Would this damage/wear them out over time? Should I unplug 'em?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

Potentially dumb question:

I leave my m50s plugged into the front of my soundcard, so they're always getting signal, even if I'm listening through my monitors. Would this damage/wear them out over time? Should I unplug 'em?

Possibly damage them. Depends on what you have the volume set to on your monitors.

If you have the volume constant and are just adjusting the knob on your speakers specifically then I imagine your headphones are fine. If you're cranking the windows volume to max and adjusting your speakers from there then yes headphone damage may ensue because they're blasting at 100%.

Simple test: Put your headphones on while listening to your monitors. Are they eardrum melting or normal listening volume? If the latter then you have nothing to worry about and they will last practically forever at normal listening levels.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

they're below what i'd call 'normal' so yeah great news! thanks

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

598 Cs?

On this topic it appears the HD569 is very good value https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLoqJjnQMs

I'm not in the market since I spent stupid money on fancy pants closed backs but perhaps if I'd bought HD569s I might not have done that, since they tick all the essential boxes on my list.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

DancingShade posted:

On this topic it appears the HD569 is very good value https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JLoqJjnQMs

I'm not in the market since I spent stupid money on fancy pants closed backs but perhaps if I'd bought HD569s I might not have done that, since they tick all the essential boxes on my list.

Holy gently caress, when did he grow a beard.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Kind of an odd question, but do different wireless headsets have better...I guess wireless capabilities than others?

I bought a pair of logitech G930 wireless headphones during the last black friday sale. They worked ok when I lived at home where I was relatively isolated from other people, although I did have to disable the 2.4GHz wireless on the router in my room to keep it from periodically cutting out. Now I live in an apartment and they're basically useless because it's constantly losing the signal to the dongle.

I have a wired pair that I can use but I frequently have to get up to take care of things and it's nice not to have to put down my headset and exit the conversation in order to do so.

Primary usage is gaming / chatting with friends and listening to music (mostly metal, interspersed with basically every other genre, if this helps). Sound quality is of moderate importance but not terribly so and honestly I'm willing to drop some cash in order to pick up something that's better if it's worth it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Garrand posted:

Kind of an odd question, but do different wireless headsets have better...I guess wireless capabilities than others?

I bought a pair of logitech G930 wireless headphones during the last black friday sale. They worked ok when I lived at home where I was relatively isolated from other people, although I did have to disable the 2.4GHz wireless on the router in my room to keep it from periodically cutting out. Now I live in an apartment and they're basically useless because it's constantly losing the signal to the dongle.

I have a wired pair that I can use but I frequently have to get up to take care of things and it's nice not to have to put down my headset and exit the conversation in order to do so.

Primary usage is gaming / chatting with friends and listening to music (mostly metal, interspersed with basically every other genre, if this helps). Sound quality is of moderate importance but not terribly so and honestly I'm willing to drop some cash in order to pick up something that's better if it's worth it.

Technically yes. That being said your signal shouldn't be cutting out for any reason unless you're wandering out of range or you have local interference and if that's your modem then poo poo. No idea how you fix that.

If wireless is mission critical, have you considered something using Bluetooth so you can just pair it and skip the whole dongle aspect?

I recently ordered these https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/earphones/products/blu-delta-bluetooth-earphones but I can't comment until I get them, probably in a month or so. (who cares how they sound, 8 hours battery life and they come with foam tips!)

Never buying gaming headsets ever again, even though I've used them heaps in my time. The cheap arse consumer stuff offers the same now and frankly it's probably better for less too.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 31, 2017

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Garrand posted:

I used to use these when I would game on my couch instead of at my desk and what helped me was getting a powered USB hub as close to me as possible, and maintaining line of sight between the headset and receiver. Also helped a ton with my Logitech wireless keyboard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still in love with my Audio-Technica Airs (together with the Onkyo DAC i bought earlier it's just doing it to me in my earholes, to quote Mr. Clinton) and I have been wondering recently, are there any in-ears that can give sound like headphones like that, or is it just impossible?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Aug 2, 2017

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Eugh,I dropped my M560 and have completely lost sound in one side. Not very pleased with that.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

Eugh,I dropped my M560 and have completely lost sound in one side. Not very pleased with that.

Time to find out how good that 5 year warranty is.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Oh yes. I pulled the trigger on a Sennheiser HD 569 because I'm leaving for China for 6 weeks on the 15th and need need need closed back headphones for that. I don't want to risk not having headphones/these breaking again while I'm abroad.

It just hurts my heart/wallet. It'll be kind of nice to have a good pair of Senns again, though. Will post a trip report.

E: this will also probably be a ridiculous upgrade to the PS4 Gold cans. Those suck to wear for raids in Destiny.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 3, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I had a crack on my m1060s. They sent me a prepaid label. Took a little under 2 weeks since i live on the other side of the country but no out of pocket cost for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

It just hurts my heart/wallet. It'll be kind of nice to have a good pair of Senns again, though. Will post a trip report.

All this means is that you didn't have the correct number of headphones, and now you're closer to the correct number. Which is the number you own, plus one.